News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay, sometime soon - probably in the next month or so as current arcs wind down a bit (except Seira's which is on one that just started, worst luck) - I'm going to take a few weeks off. During that time we'll hit level 37.

My goal is to rest up, do levels and try and step up my DM output during that time. I'd like to do levels, spells and some custom work. Help shore up what I've let grow idle with my health in decline. In a perfect world I'll slot this in so that Thanksgiving hits it, but we'll see how pacing goes.

So this next part is important. If you need custom material, speak up. If you have ideas for spells, speak up. If I need to do something and yes, I see your post above mine, Moore, speak up. Please don't make it something frivolous or something that isn't game relevant. I'm still working with limited energy and focus on account of my health issues, so I want to use what I do have wisely.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

I'll think on it, but just as a reminder, you wanted to have a talk about what characters I'm to take over.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Node Goal Changes

Jessica

Was: ("I dream of the light.")
Now: ("We have to do better, but we must bring justice to Talona.")
Reason: The old one was meant to tie into Chronias and that trip there, it never happened and got outdated fast.

Jetina

Was: ("Let's see Hope's Landing grow.")
Now: ("I can't wait to have that crystal armor.")
Reason: Suspending most developmental/Competition ones now due to DM issues. This one may recur in a similar form later.

Jayne

Was: -
Now: ("Let's smite this evil so I can claim something for my nest from it.")
Reason: Hadn't been added yet.

Bastian

Was: ("Something looms ahead.")
Now: ("Gargauth or someone else let's see how my fists meet against them.")
Reason: Old one was dated and vague.

Amaryl

Was: ("I want to triumph in the Competition.")
Now: ("Akil must be stopped.")
Reason: The Competition ones are being suspended temporarily. This applies to the next several. This node was heavy on them.

Donald

Was: ("Who should I Compete against first and how?")
Now: ("I want to cross blades with the best.")

Kascha

Was: ("Let's get going and see our faith grow.")
Now: ("Oh, I want to learn even more about the 666th layer of the Abyss.")

Elle

Was: ("It's time to really Compete.")
Now: ("Let's do something with these crystals.")
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on October 16, 2020, 01:54:59 PM
I was looking for something else and realized this never got adjudicated. I also still need to work on some domain spells.

Celestia's Inspiration
Enchantment/Transmutation (Compulsion) [Good, Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Brd 11
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 200 ft
Targets: All allies within 200ft
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When you cast this spell, you channel the barest fragment of the inspiration one can find within Mount Celestia into yourself and your allies. Anyone affected by this spell is treated as being affected by Haste and Freedom of Movement, and they also gain a +7 insight bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls. Their weapons also count as Good for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.

That seems about fine.

I might change the name though, inspiration doesn't really sound quite right for an insight bonus.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Ebiris

Alicia reaches level 37
Sorcerer 37//Duskblade 20
+21 hp, +1 bab, skills go up as normal, +1 SR
One more use of Quick Cast, now 4/day
+1 Sorcerer/Duskblade/SLA CL
+1 14th level sorc spell per day, +1 15th level sorc spell known. She takes Cursed Crystal Prison.
+2 7th level duskblade spells per day (+2 more from intelligence), +1 7th level duskblade spell known. She takes horrid wilting.

--

Marie reaches level 37
Outsider 37//Master of Missiles 6
+20 hp, +1 bab, skills go up as normal, +1 SR
Gets Missile Might (+1 CL for magic missiles), and Piercing Missiles (+2 CL vs SR for magic missiles)
+1 Sorcerer/SLA CL.
+1 14th level sorc spell per day, +1 14th level sorc spell known. She takes dreamscape.

Nephrite

This isn't something I need an answer on now (it'll be level 40 before it matters), is Heartfire Fanner a legal PrC to take?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on November 11, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
This isn't something I need an answer on now (it'll be level 40 before it matters), is Heartfire Fanner a legal PrC to take?

Lliira uses it. I note the problems in her stat block's notes. Fortunately the main one, the unfettered bard access, is irrelevant for Moore. So what would you do with the rest of the class?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Yeah, I swear we talked about you soft banning it before, but I couldn't remember. What do you mean by your second question?

Anastasia

I mean how do you use the class features and how do they combo with you?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I won't start NPC level ups until everyone's paused, just FYI, and possibly not until next week.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Oh! Well, just as a general brainstorming idea:

Inspired Fight: Give <Insert melee type here> even more feats. He has a song that gives Improved Critical, so he could double-down on that with this without too much trouble.

Magic Flare: Here's a free metamagic for your spells, go nuts.

Bolster Courage just stacks a bonus on top of Inspire Courage, which is great.

Prolonged Passion: I'm sure there are Shenanigans that can happen with this one... I haven't delved too much into what's possible here, but I can imagine there may be a few DM rulings on this one especially.

Nephrite

Musing on Epic Feats:

Base assumption: Inspire Heroics is a very defensive song (saves, AC), so an improved version should continue this idea of being something that adds more defense.

Epic Inspire Heroics
Prerequisite: You can use Inspire Heroics on at least 4 allies. (That's bard 24)
Benefit: Inspire Heroics can now be used as a swift action and it now provides all allies with Spell Resistance equal to 15 + your effective bard level for as long as it lasts.

Just for an example, Moore has two items that increase his effective bard level by +8, so this would, at level 37, provide people with SR 60... which, looking at it, is pretty strong! But... it's also an epic feat, so... YMMV. If it was 15 + 1/2 your effective bard level it would be SR 37 which isn't great!

Base assumption: Inspire Greatness is all over the place. Temp HP, a little attack, a little on saves. It seems more about bolstering your Hit Points than doing anything else. I think it was originally intended to focus more on the added Hit Dice for feats and stuff but I don't think there's much of a reason to try and make that work the way it's written, since it's such a mess. This attempts to just focus on adding more 'oomph' to the temporary hit points at the cost of one of your epic feats.

Epic Inspire Greatness
Prerequisite: You can use Inspire Greatness on at least 6 allies. (Also bard 24)
Benefit: Your Inspire Greatness can now be used as a swift action and it now provides all allies with temporary hit points equal to your effective bard level x 10.

Just as an example, this would be 450 temporary hit points for Moore at level 37 with his bard-boosting items. Again, that is a lot! It is, again, an Epic Feat and should certainly feel worthwhile to take. If you fiddled with the numbers (bard level x 5) then it'd be 225 which... eh, it's still pretty good, but isn't always an improvement over the current version depending on Con values.

If you disallow the "your bard level is considered x higher" things to work than the SR for the above is 52 and the temporary hit points are 370.

I think these are at least decent starting places for ideas, if nothing else!

Side note, this needs to be added to the Epic Feat list:

Epic Inspire Courage [Epic]
Prerequisite: Inspire Courage +4
Benefit: Your inspire courage can now be used as a swift action, and now causes those who are affected by it to be immune to charm and fear effects.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on November 12, 2020, 10:58:27 AM
Oh! Well, just as a general brainstorming idea:

Inspired Fight: Give <Insert melee type here> even more feats. He has a song that gives Improved Critical, so he could double-down on that with this without too much trouble.

Magic Flare: Here's a free metamagic for your spells, go nuts.

Bolster Courage just stacks a bonus on top of Inspire Courage, which is great.

Prolonged Passion: I'm sure there are Shenanigans that can happen with this one... I haven't delved too much into what's possible here, but I can imagine there may be a few DM rulings on this one especially.

Okay, I'll think about it then and get back to you in a level or two. Remind me at 38 or 39 if I haven't yet.
<Afina> Forever.