News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Antenora's DvR increases is done. She got Extra Domain (Truth) as her SDA for obvious reasons.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Alicia up to DvR 6.

See Magic and Clearsight as her SDAs so she won't get tricked so often hopefully. Zeal domain because she gives it her all!

Iron Dragoon

I wrote it so that it gets either Superior Invisibility or Camouflage, whichever is generally better. Gained: Same vision as caster, arcane sight, +30 ft speed, +16 Hide mod, transfer range instead of touch. I think more hide mod might be needed? But dunno how much.

The Queen's Eyes
Divination
Level: Sorc/Wiz 12
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: One mile
Effect: Ten or more levitating eyes
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You create a number of invisible magic orbs (called "eyes") equal to 1d4+ your caster level. These eyes follow a predetermined set of actions you decide while casting (scouting, searching for a specific thing or creature, overwatch, ect.). Each eye mimics the vision abilities of the caster, and additionally functions as if it has the effects of an Arcane Sight spell.

Each individual eye is fragile, but difficult to spot. They are fine constructs about 1 inch in diameter with 1 hit point, AC 18, flies at a speed of 60 feet with perfect maneuverability, has a +32 Hide modifier, functions as if it is under the effect of a Camouflage spell, and has it's magical aura hidden.

When you create the eyes, you specify instructions you want them to follow in a command of no more than twenty-five words. Any knowledge you possess is known by the eyes as well.

In order to report their findings, the eyes must pass within 10 feet of the caster. Each replays in your mind all it has seen during its existence. It takes an eye 1 round to replay 1 hour of recorded images. After relaying its findings, the eye returns to its task.

If an eye ever gets more than 1 mile away from you, it instantly ceases to exist. However, your link with the eye is such that you won't know if the eye was destroyed because it wandered out of range or because of some other event.

The eyes exist for up to 1 hour per caster level or until they return to you. Dispel magic can destroy eyes. Roll separately for each eye caught in an area dispel.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Okay, go ahead and summarize the changes? This is really a spell that is best as a 'As x spell, except as noted here' since it's really just prying eyes+5 or so.

I know you gave that on IRC so a paste of that is fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

I put it at the top:

I wrote it so that it gets either Superior Invisibility or Camouflage, whichever is generally better. Gained: Same vision as caster, arcane sight, +30 ft speed, +16 Hide mod, transfer range instead of touch. I think more hide mod might be needed? But dunno how much

Anastasia

Oh. Go go go reading skills.

I'll adjust it and come up with something Sunday or Monday. Reply to this so I'm not the last post here, would you?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Ebiris

Here's some suggestions on the spell myself.

1d4 + caster level when the caster level is going to be 30+ is pretty pointless. Either drop the 1d4 entirely or replace it with a bigger number.

Rather than referring to the Camouflage spell, why not give them a specific stealth bonus? Since camouflage is +10 stealth, just work that amount into the total, or... actually. Give them a hide modifier of your caster level + 16 (for being fine size), which should work out to a reasonable number. Like +53 right now and it'll improve.

I'd also give them the Hide in Plain Sight ability, so they can always roll stealth checks and not have to worry about being in cover. Fluff it as them being glassy/transparent.

I dislike the separate rolls on dispel magic for each eye caught in the spell - the eyes all come from the same spell so if a dispel is strong enough to hit one it should hit them all. Unless multiple eyes come from multiple castings.

Anastasia

Okay, how's this look, and does it still feel like a 12th level spell?

The Queen's Eyes
Divination
Level: Sorc/Wiz 12

This spell is identical to prying eyes, except as noted here. Each eye has a Spot and Hide modifier equal to your own or your caster level + 10, whichever is higher, as well as any special types of vision you have (such as low-light vision or darkvision). The eyes fly at a speed of 60ft with perfect maneuverability. The eyes are able to hide in plain sight, as the assassin class feature except they can do so in any terrain and regardless of any shadows. The eyes may report their findings to you as long as they are within 100ft of you. You gain the benefits of an arcane vision spell when you see those replays and may make any Spellcraft checks as normal.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Anastasia

Okay, last call on that spell. If there's nothing I'm going to move it over tomorrow.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

It looks nice. I'll keep an eye out for it.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, so removed a single word from the epic skills writeup. There was an each in there that was confusing and the sentence works better without it. Purely a clarification.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore reaches DvR2:

He gains one of his lost domains: Truth
He gains one SDA: Supreme Initiative
This increases his constitution to a new level, so his HP goes up to 829, he hits a few other even numbers with this, so stats have been updated accordingly.