News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Level ups begin tomorrow or Sunday, depending on Saga. Anyone need a particular NPC level up done early for any reason?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

I've been meaning to go for something along the lines of this generic SDA since game start, so here's a draft for it:

DIVINE MAGE
The deity has superior talent with spell-like abilities.
Prerequisite: Divine rank 6.
Benefit: The deity can use any domain spell she can grant as a spell-like ability at will. This ability extends past ninth level magic.
Notes: The deity's effective caster level for such abilities is equal to her hit dice. The saving throw DC for such abilities is 20 + the spell's level + her Charisma modifier + her divine rank.
Suggested Portfolio Elements: Knowledge, Magic, Spellcraft.

The prereq intent is to make it more exclusive, but it's intended to be open for anyone.

Incidentally, would that prevent your avatars from using this SDA if you had it?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 07, 2021, 09:41:21 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 07, 2021, 09:07:16 PM
That's an interesting feat, particularly because bards don't get heal as a class skill.  That aside I think the temp HP is too high. Remember more temp HP than your max HP is lethal? That could easily be lethal to characters up to around epic depending on power level.

Huh, they really don't. Well, it probably ought to still be there? I dunno, it seems thematically appropriate.

As for your concern... "temporay hp equal to half of their maximum" is clearly too much, so maybe... hum. Even something like hit dice x 5 could potentially be a problem in this scenario. Other numbers are a bit difficult try and puzzle out, but...  I'm open to ideas on this.

That or just set a cap on it to double maximum hit points so going over isn't a concern.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 18, 2021, 11:54:08 AM
I've been meaning to go for something along the lines of this generic SDA since game start, so here's a draft for it:

DIVINE MAGE
Benefit: The deity can use any domain spell she can grant as a spell-like ability at will. This ability extends past ninth level magic.
Notes: The deity's effective caster level for such abilities is equal to her hit dice. The saving throw DC for such abilities is 20 + the spell's level + her Charisma modifier + her divine rank.

The prereq intent is to make it more exclusive, but it's intended to be open for anyone.

Incidentally, would that prevent your avatars from using this SDA if you had it?

Okay, we may have had this conversation before, but it's been awhile so it's worth discussing this fresh. If we have and you have quotes, feel free to provide them instead.

1. Would there be any cap? After all, in theory spells go on forever, so long as you have the ability to gain more caster levels. Like would it cap at 12th level magic? 15th? 20th? I mean obviously if you try and say 'no Seira will now throw 50th circle domain spells around like candy' I'm going to say no and we all know it. So I suppose the question is simply how far past 9th level does it go?

2. I don't think the notes change any existing rules, it's merely restating the base divine rules for SLAs, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. To quote the relevant bit:

QuoteThe avatar retains access to the deity's salient divine abilities, but the DCs and other factors related to divine rank are adjusted to divine rank 0.

So yes, they would. Just with lower DCs since the divine rank would be calculated as 0.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Oh and by the way. Anything that isn't urgent - and there really shouldn't be right now since downtime - should go into nagging posts instead of my IRC PMs. Thanks. Got a lot of work ahead of me and it helps me to focus by reducing distractions. I'd rather not have to log off because my PMs are busy with DM stuff when I'm trying to do level ups.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Reminder: Finalized version of the SDA.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

You make an excellent suggestion. I decided to drop the Heal pre-req but I'm fine with it being there.

Inspire Health [Epic]
Prerequisites: Perform 24 ranks
Benefit: You can use song or poetics to draw out the inner health in yourself and your allies within 50ft. Any creature who can hear you perform within that range gains temporary hit points equal to their hit dice x 10, up to a maximum of double their total hit points, for 5 rounds and for 5 rounds after the bard stops singing. In addition, they are healed of effects such as fatigue and exhaustion, and any dying creature who hears this song is stabilized. Inspire Health is a mind-affecting ability.

Ebiris

DIVINE MAGE

I have an issue with this just on the basis that epic domain spells are barely filled out, and anyone taking this feat is going to create a lot of extra work in either making new spells to fill out the list (which is cool but also a lot of work) or awkwardly kludging in spells from the rather small epic spell list that can vaguely fit but often don't really (kind of lame).

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 18, 2021, 08:37:42 PM

DIVINE MAGE

Okay, we may have had this conversation before, but it's been awhile so it's worth discussing this fresh. If we have and you have quotes, feel free to provide them instead.

1. Would there be any cap? After all, in theory spells go on forever, so long as you have the ability to gain more caster levels. Like would it cap at 12th level magic? 15th? 20th? I mean obviously if you try and say 'no Seira will now throw 50th circle domain spells around like candy' I'm going to say no and we all know it. So I suppose the question is simply how far past 9th level does it go?

2. I don't think the notes change any existing rules, it's merely restating the base divine rules for SLAs, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

While we had conversations about this a bit way back, nothing concrete happened. You basically punted it into the future, and I didn't really have a pressing need for it.

The cap I imagined would be the spells your HD would allow for if you were a wizard/sorc/cleric/favored soul. Since epic flattens the full caster progression, it feels fair. Seira's HD allows for up to lvl15 spells so she'll be able to use SLAs up to lvl15 as well. For Amaryl it would be the same, even though she doesn't have 15th level spells, since this goes by HD. I'm sure there's a better way to put it, but the idea is really to make the power nice and convenient, but not a trump card like 50th circle domain spells.

I have an issue with this just on the basis that epic domain spells are barely filled out, and anyone taking this feat is going to create a lot of extra work in either making new spells to fill out the list (which is cool but also a lot of work) or awkwardly kludging in spells from the rather small epic spell list that can vaguely fit but often don't really (kind of lame).

A fair point! I didn't consider this enough at the onset, but I do propose a soft fix for this sort of thing.

Any PC taking this feat should just create their own new spells to fill out the list without awkwardly kludging in spells, and those spells that don't exist in domain lists in Spell Compendium so far would simply be unavailable. So if Seira were to get this SDA, and Hope Domain spells of lvl10-12 and lvl14 and lvl16-20 exist, she'd be able to use lvl10-12 and lvl14 SLAs from the Hope Domain until and unless I made suitable lvl13 and lvl15 spells for the Hope Domain.

It feels like it would be a nice bonus to those who took a bunch of domains, like Marie or Seira. As for NPCs, we've actually run into a similar situation with Eldritch Knowledge, where it was a good option but Dune was reluctant to give it to a few NPCs. IIRC, Emily got it and slowly had her new spells filled out, while Donald didn't end up getting it. And if the SDA does fit some NPC, there's no reason they can't ignore the 'missing' domain spells and just use what's available.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Antenora reaches level 38.

Quick check, is there any reason or need to multiclass Antenora? No, she's locked in on paladin and hellreaver. The latter's too good to veer from and the former fits her too well. No dips have any sort of appeal for her.

- Hellreaver 28 and Paladin 38.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 984 hit points.
- Natural armor bonus rises by 2, forgot to include that when she gained divine rank. That's adjusted.
- +1 BAB for a total of 38.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Holy fury points rise by 1 to 44.
- Furious strike rises by +2/+1d6.
- Lay on hands rises to 608.
- Channel energy rises by 1d6.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- Gains 38th level paladin spellcasting. This is another 9th level spell per day. She grabs another mass heal since she casts spontaneously anyway, so those are mostly suggestions. Her 9th level spells are mostly going to be mass heals when she's filling the healer role anyway.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Gets a bonus feat from paladin 38. She selects Holy Strike(P38). This is an audible from the build chart but I'm surprised she doesn't have it already. Likely an oversight so let's fix that.

A solid, strong level for her. Antenora's build has been set a good long time and I'm happy with it. Her entire role of direct offense is nicely complemented by her healing game, which one again showed its worth in the adventure on 666. Right now all more levels do is gild the lily further. While this sounds like something Marie approves of doing with Antenora, the point is that her build's fully matured by now.  I don't see much variance in the future.

- Updated Antenora's build chart up to 47. Not a lot to see here, though I made a point to put epic reputation on the board. She'll want that one day if only for the diplomacy boost.
- Antenora just finished a node goal so she's not close to one at session start. Nothing to note there.
- Spoiler block for Antenora updated.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Latha reaches level 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass? No, she has enough going on and her build is stable now. It doesn't feel right.

- Astral Deva 38 and Angelic Champion 17.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 22 hit points and a grand total of 879 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 38.
- DC of Glorious Stun rises by 1.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Regeneration rises by 1 to 17.
- Gains another Heaven's Gift. She chooses favored enemy(evil) again to bring that to +10.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- Gains 38th level cleric spellcasting. That's another 15th level spell per day. She'll grab another solar pulse for now since she casts spontaneously anyway.
- All saves rise by 1.

Not a bad level for Latha. Not great either, but she did well enough for herself. If she has any problem, it's that I feel she's hit red mage syndrome. She's good at everything. She can heal, she can cast spells, she can melee. It's just that each one gets overshadowed by another. Her melee game while respectable on paper is the weakest in Sylica (barring a no SA Jessica). Her magic is outdone by Alicia and Marie. Her healing game at best breaks even with Antenora's shenanigans. It puts her in a strange place, but I'm not unhappy with her at all.

Maybe a custom SDA in the future will boost her as well. We'll see.

- Updated Latha's build chart up to 47. Very little to see there, I'm more focused on the next few levels for her rather than the future.
- Latha's node goal is good but not close to being immediately accomplished. Soon probably. Nothing to note there.
- Spoiler block for Latha updated.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jessica reaches level 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass. She could slow down and take monk 2, but since she already has improved evasion she'd need something worthwhile on the ACF front for it. Is there? No, not really, so let's stay the course.

- Rogue 38 and Perfect Wight 17.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 19 hit points and a grand total of 799 hit points.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Gains another daily use of ghost form.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- All saves rise by 1.

Not an exciting level for Jessica, but a needed in between one. Her build feels done to me barring any little side trips, but her role is set and the main thing is to keep piling up the numbers for what she needs to do. Everything feels good here.

- Updated Jessica's build chart up to 47.
- Jessica's node goal is good, if a bit longer term. We'll see what direction Alicia's node goes in when we resume.
- Spoiler block for Jessica updated.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Syala reaches level 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass? Nah, her build isn't great for it anyways the way she's set up.

- Astral Deva 38 and Druid 38.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 20 hit points and a grand total of 795 hit points.
- +1 BAB for total of +38.
- DC of Stun rises by 1 to 54.
- +1 spell resistance to 53.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- Gains 38th level druid spellcasting. This is another 15th level spell which is another poisonbane for now, though I may make a custom spell shortly.
- All saves rise by 1.

Syala gets a lull level too, so let's make a custom spell pr two for her.

Change Climate
Transmutation
Level: Clr 15, Drd 15, Sor/Wiz 15
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: 1 mile/level
Radius: 1 mile/level radius, centered on you
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to change the climate of the area within the spell's radius. You may change it to any particular climate you wish, which includes temperature, precipitation, winds, humidity and so forth. You are limited to an average high temperature of 140 degrees and an average low temperature of -50 degrees, the limits of the severe heat and extreme cold temperature bands, respectively. Likewise you can have winds, but no more than an average wind speed of 50 miles per hour, the limit of severe winds.

This spell can only be dispelled if you can target the focus of the spell, which must be left where the spell was cast.

Multiple change climate spells cancel each other out and allow normal conditions to prevail where they overlap.

Focus

A droplet of blood from a primal elemental stored in a gemstone worth at least 5,000 gold.

Mass Wrath Of The Elder Treant
Evocation
Level: Drd 15
Targets: 1 creature/level

This spell is identical to wrath of the elder treant, except as noted here. The maximum damage this spell can deal is 45d10 damage.

Let me know what you all think and if you have any comments on those two.

- Updated Syala's build chart to 47.
- Syala's node is good and honestly not that hard to fulfill. Zero problems there.
- Spoiler block for Syala updated.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Cresiel reaches level 38.

Quick check, does he need to multiclass? No, he's keyed into solar levels as well as hellreaver. Easy question.

- Solar 38 and Hellreaver 27.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 28 hit points and a grand total of 1126 hit points. I think there was a math error on his HP recently so I recalculated it to be sure.
- +1 BAB for a total of +38.
- Regeneration rises by 1.
- +1 spell resistance to 53.
- Holy fury rises by 1 to 43.
- +1 CL to SLAs.
- Gains 35th level cleric spellcasting. This is another 14th level spell per day. That's another Raziel's zeal for now, but he may be getting a new spell or two shortly. He also casts spontaneously so y'know.
- All saves rise by 1.

An okay level up. Not a huge one so let's hit the custom spell trail.

Eternal Aura
Abjuration
Level: Clr 14, Pal 12
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level

You are surrounded by an aura that makes you seem ancient and yet eternal, like the highest mountains in Creation, and nearly as impossible to bring down. You only suffer half damage from all melee or ranged attacks. Any creature that injures you with such an attack must make a Fortitude save or suffer the damage prevented by this spell. For example, if you are injured by a melee attack for 30 damage, you only take 15 and the creature must make the save or suffer 15 damage.

Holy Rebirth
Transmutation [Good]
Level: Sanctified 14
Components: V, S, DF, Sacrifice
Casting Time: 1 week
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell ends mortality and brings eternity. When you cast this spell, you die and are immediately reborn as an outsider. The exact type of outsider depends on your hit dice, patron deity and alignment, though any creature mighty enough to cast this spell can expect to incarnate as no weaker than a throne archon, solar or tulani eladrin.

The sacrifice of this spell is not for nothing. For 1 week after you cast this spell, you do not cause spiritual wounds on the Prime Material. You may visit and travel it freely without risk in that time. Thereafter you are unable to enter the Prime for any means for 1 year, as if you had died on the Prime Material as an outsider.

A non good creature that manages to cast this spell dies and gains no benefit from this spell. Any attempt to cast this spell on another causes the spell to fail. Likewise, a non mortal creature that casts this spell causes it to fail.

Sacrifice

Your life.

Let me know any comments on these. The second's tangential to Cresiel, I know.

- Updated Cresiel's build chart to 47.
- Cresiel's node goal is good, though I may tweak it depending on how things go early in level 38 for Moore's node.
- Spoiler block for Cresiel updated.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Xandra reaches level 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass? No, she's locked into her PrC. Moving on.

- Trumpet Archon 38 and Mage of the Illuminated Temple 26.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 22 hit points and a grand total of 871 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +38.
- +1 spell resistance for 55.
- Gains another spell to affect with glorious spellcasting. Xandra selects Elle's Triple Boom for now.
- +1 CL to SLAs.
- Gains level 36th warmage spellcasting. That's 2 spells known for 15th level. She selects Starbeam and Great Northern Wind. These may change if I do homebrew for her this level.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Xandra gets a bonus feat from Mage of the Illuminated Temple 26. She selects Epic Paladin's Spellcasting(M26). That's 7th level paladin spell access which helps give her more options. Moore, since you usually run Xandra in combat, can you confirm you read this by posting a loud, cheery HAAAAIIIII like a cute anime girl pixie? Thanks.

A new spell level is always nice for Xandra. Really, her role is set and I have no problems with her. It helps that her PrC's quite solid. She slings spells, she does a bit of seerwork, she can melee in case it's needed. She's not Kaja, but who can be?

- Updated Xandra's build chart to 47.
- Xandra's node goal will be addressed pretty much first thing on resumption of play. So that's a thing to bear in mind for Moore.
- Spoiler block for Xandra updated.
<Afina> Forever.