News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

I am ready for some seventh level paladin spells, such as...

uh, well, you know I figured Antenora had a bunch, but she only has two, so... Might of the Planetar it is!

Anastasia

From the SC topic about it:

7th: bastion of goodBoED, brilliant bladeSC, dictum, eyes of truthHome, greater cloak of braverySC, greater plane shiftSC, holy starSC, holy word, lion's roarSC, mass cure serious wounds, mass greater magic weaponHome, mass restorationSC, mass spell resistanceSC, opal cleansingHome, opal inviolabilityHome, regenerate, repulsion, rejuvenating lightCC, righteous burstPHB2

The gems there are greater cloak of bravery (large radius, 2 level discount compared to cleric), holy star (multipurpose), lion's roar (boost allies and hurt enemies), mass restoration (exactly what it sounds like) and possibly the opal spells, though neither of that level's hits her that well.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 18, 2021, 08:58:12 PM
You make an excellent suggestion. I decided to drop the Heal pre-req but I'm fine with it being there.

Inspire Health [Epic]
Prerequisites: Perform 24 ranks
Benefit: You can use song or poetics to draw out the inner health in yourself and your allies within 50ft. Any creature who can hear you perform within that range gains temporary hit points equal to their hit dice x 10, up to a maximum of double their total hit points, for 5 rounds and for 5 rounds after the bard stops singing. In addition, they are healed of effects such as fatigue and exhaustion, and any dying creature who hears this song is stabilized. Inspire Health is a mind-affecting ability.

Okay. I rewrote one of them, could you paste that for me and also paste where we were on the last one?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 18, 2021, 08:42:47 PM
Reminder: Finalized version of the SDA.

Itsa coming one I finish tweaking.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 19, 2021, 01:05:56 AMWhile we had conversations about this a bit way back, nothing concrete happened. You basically punted it into the future, and I didn't really have a pressing need for it.

Sounds like something I'd do.

QuoteThe cap I imagined would be the spells your HD would allow for if you were a wizard/sorc/cleric/favored soul. Since epic flattens the full caster progression, it feels fair. Seira's HD allows for up to lvl15 spells so she'll be able to use SLAs up to lvl15 as well. For Amaryl it would be the same, even though she doesn't have 15th level spells, since this goes by HD. I'm sure there's a better way to put it, but the idea is really to make the power nice and convenient, but not a trump card like 50th circle domain spells.

Okay. That needs to be added to it. In blatant delegation since I feel like my head's above water for the first time in months, give that a crack and I'll adjust if it doesn't come out properly. This will likely fall under the 'we'll try it and see if it's busted or not', unless someone can put together a point as to why's busted as is.

I see your post above Cor's, Eb. I'll get to that in a bit.

QuoteA fair point! I didn't consider this enough at the onset, but I do propose a soft fix for this sort of thing.

Any PC taking this feat should just create their own new spells to fill out the list without awkwardly kludging in spells, and those spells that don't exist in domain lists in Spell Compendium so far would simply be unavailable. So if Seira were to get this SDA, and Hope Domain spells of lvl10-12 and lvl14 and lvl16-20 exist, she'd be able to use lvl10-12 and lvl14 SLAs from the Hope Domain until and unless I made suitable lvl13 and lvl15 spells for the Hope Domain.

It feels like it would be a nice bonus to those who took a bunch of domains, like Marie or Seira. As for NPCs, we've actually run into a similar situation with Eldritch Knowledge, where it was a good option but Dune was reluctant to give it to a few NPCs. IIRC, Emily got it and slowly had her new spells filled out, while Donald didn't end up getting it. And if the SDA does fit some NPC, there's no reason they can't ignore the 'missing' domain spells and just use what's available.

DM workload is a thing, unfortunately. I'm only getting really D&D creative again now that I'm not under the normal press of DMing, since all my energy goes into running and design for when I am.

So why don't you try putting together a few domain spells, post them and see how that goes? Yes this is blatant delegation but honestly Eb's right there. We all know it's a lot of work so if you want this? It's best to see if you can hack that right off.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 19, 2021, 10:57:34 PM
You make an excellent suggestion. I decided to drop the Heal pre-req but I'm fine with it being there.

Inspire Health [Epic]
Benefit: You can use song or poetics to draw out the inner health in yourself and your allies within 50ft. Any creature who can hear you perform within that range gains temporary hit points equal to their hit dice x 10, up to a maximum of double their total hit points, for 5 rounds and for 5 rounds after the bard stops singing. In addition, they are healed of effects such as fatigue and exhaustion, and any dying creature who hears this song is stabilized. Inspire Health is a mind-affecting ability.

Okay. I rewrote one of them, could you paste that for me and also paste where we were on the last one?

You touched this one up:

Inspire Mobility [Epic]
Prerequisite: Perform 24 ranks
Benefit: You can use song or poetics to inspire mobility in yourself and your allies within 50ft. Any creature who can hear you perform within that range gains the benefits of a Haste and Freedom of Movement spells (caster level equal to your bard level). This lasts for as long as you perform and 5 rounds after. Inspire Mobility is a mind-affecting ability.

This one you didn't have any specific objections to:

Epic Inspire Heroics
Prerequisite: You can use Inspire Heroics on at least 4 allies. (That's bard 24)
Benefit: Inspire Heroics can now be used as a swift action and it now provides all allies with Spell Resistance equal to 11 + your effective bard level for as long as it lasts in addition to its normal effects.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on November 26, 2020, 11:11:12 AM
QuoteEasy Metamagic: Widen Spell (lvl18) -> Easy Metamagic: Enhance Spell (lvl18)

This one I'm going to nix. You have to choose a metamagic feat you already have according to the text of the feat. You can't have Enhance Spell at 18 as its an epic feat.

Quote from: Corwin on November 26, 2020, 11:17:25 AM
Fair enough. I guess I could reshuffle feats but eh not right now.

In that case, let's go for:
Easy Metamagic: Widen Spell (lvl18) -> Purify Spell (lvl18)
Specialized Metamagic/Widen Spell (B, at26/lvl36) -> Specialized Metamagic/Twin Spell (B, at26/lvl36)

Since this levelup will give me a bonus epic metamagic feat from the War Wizard prc and I don't actually have any other metamagic I want, I've reconsidered this!

Enhance Spell (lvl30) remains as is.
Improved Metamagic (lvl33, -1L to all metamagic) -> Easy Metamagic/Enhance Spell.
BLANK EPIC METAMAGIC FEAT (lvl38) -> Specialized Metamagic/Enhance Spell.

Works?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 19, 2021, 11:52:19 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 19, 2021, 10:57:34 PM

Inspire Health [Epic]

You touched this one up:

Inspire Mobility [Epic]
Prerequisite: Perform 24 ranks
Benefit: You can use song or poetics to inspire mobility in yourself and your allies within 50ft. Any creature who can hear you perform within that range gains the benefits of a Haste and Freedom of Movement spells (caster level equal to your bard level). This lasts for as long as you perform and 5 rounds after. Inspire Mobility is a mind-affecting ability.

This one you didn't have any specific objections to:

Epic Inspire Heroics
Prerequisite: You can use Inspire Heroics on at least 4 allies. (That's bard 24)
Benefit: Inspire Heroics can now be used as a swift action and it now provides all allies with Spell Resistance equal to 11 + your effective bard level for as long as it lasts in addition to its normal effects.

Okay then, barring any language cleanups or corrections (non mechanics, I'll mention if a mechanical thing has a last minute snag), these are going into the epic feats list.  We'll see how they work out mechanically.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 20, 2021, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 26, 2020, 11:11:12 AM
QuoteEasy Metamagic: Widen Spell (lvl18) -> Easy Metamagic: Enhance Spell (lvl18)

This one I'm going to nix. You have to choose a metamagic feat you already have according to the text of the feat. You can't have Enhance Spell at 18 as its an epic feat.

Quote from: Corwin on November 26, 2020, 11:17:25 AM
Fair enough. I guess I could reshuffle feats but eh not right now.

In that case, let's go for:
Easy Metamagic: Widen Spell (lvl18) -> Purify Spell (lvl18)
Specialized Metamagic/Widen Spell (B, at26/lvl36) -> Specialized Metamagic/Twin Spell (B, at26/lvl36)

Since this levelup will give me a bonus epic metamagic feat from the War Wizard prc and I don't actually have any other metamagic I want, I've reconsidered this!

Enhance Spell (lvl30) remains as is.
Improved Metamagic (lvl33, -1L to all metamagic) -> Easy Metamagic/Enhance Spell.
BLANK EPIC METAMAGIC FEAT (lvl38) -> Specialized Metamagic/Enhance Spell.

Works?

Seems legal now.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The following spells are added to the Spell Collection:

Change Climate. Unchanged except for clarification of the focus.
Mass Wrath Of The Elder Treant: No changes.

Syala's 15th level spells adjusted to represent those.

Eternal Aura: Added a mounting saving throw penalty since it felt a bit weak as written for a 14th level spell.
Holy Sacrifice: As written. It's a niche spell for a niche situation, so as long as it has basic safety guards it's fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kaja reaches level 38.

Quick check, does he need to multiclass? Nah, Kaja's fine.

- Fighter 38 and Dervish 27. He dipped Duelist 4 last level but I'll mix it up with Dervish this time and probably grab something else next level.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 981 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +38.
- +1 spell resistance to 53.
- Gains another daily dervish dance. Nice to have.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Gains a feat from fighter. Penetrate Damage Reduction(Cold Iron)(F38) is the feat.

Decent level. No single level breaks things for Kaja now, his role is set and that's what Moore's for anyway.

- Updated Kaja's build chart to 47.
- Kaja's node goal is good and fairly fresh. No problems there.
- Updated Kaja's spoiler block.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jetina reaches level 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass? No, she's just started to so that's already done. Time for more Knight of the Chalice.

- Healer 38 and Knight of the Chalice 2.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 24 hit points and a grand total of 873 hit points. Her HP was off, a bit too high, can't figure out where it went wrong.
- AC adjusted by 2, as it was 2 too low. I must have been out of my mind when I did Jetina's last level up. Well, this is why I do math checks.
- +1 BAB for a total of +38.
- +1 spell resistance for 73.
- Healing hands rises by 1 to 32.
- +1 DC for channel energy. It's up to 39, it was only 38. Where was my math last time with her? I've barely found any errors on other sheets so far.
- Added another daily use for effortless healing and adjusted the bonuses, which were too low. Argh.
- Gains Censure Demons. Eh. It's not bad, just so badly behind and outdated that it's not meaningful for Jetina. It isn't what she's dipping for in other words.
- Courage of Heaven (Fear). Fear immunity on a paladin type. Well, redundancies happen.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- Gains 2nd level knight of the chalice casting. It's another protection from evil since the casting's not important for her.
- Gains 38th level healer spellcasting. This is just +1 spell per day.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Gains a feat from healer 38. She goes with Extra Emergency Healing(H38) because seriously, it's like airbags. 999 out of 1000 trips they're irrelevant. It's the one trip where you need them that they're stone cold critical.  Such is a healer's life.

Solid level and again, she has her place and is merely expanding her melee options and other options a bit. However, she could use a few more spells.

Miraculous Fate
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Hlr 15
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell is similar to fortunate fate, but far more powerful. It can heal up to 400 hit points and grants the target fast healing 30 for 1 round per caster level after the heal spell is triggered.

It's a start.

- Didn't update Jetina's build chart. I went in my own direction so I want to take a bit and plan this out more. This post is running super long as it so let's get it out now.
- Jetina's node goal is good, just have to get those crystals sorted out.
- Updated Jetina's spoiler block.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sylvie reaches level 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass? Nope. She's set in factotum and chameleon until the end.

- Factotum 38 and Chameleon 28.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 23 hit points and a grand total of 909 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 30.
- +1 spell resistance for 73 total.
- Inspiration rises by 1 for a total of 32 inspiration per encounter.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- Maximum spell level for arcane dilettante rises to 12th. Additionally it gains a 14th spell per day. Sylvie will select Sekmid's Trap.
- Gains 28th level chameleon spellcasting. For arcane this is another 10th level spell and 4 11th level spells. She selects Superb Dispellingx2, Alyssa's Burst of Inspiration and Power of the Huntress. Nothing for divine, since it's just bonus spells and she lacks the Wisdom to hack 11th level bonus spells.
- All saves rise by 1.

Not a bad level for spell access. Sylvie's set in her ways and is good in her ways, so this was a solid incremental level. She might make a custom spell soon, but it's a luxury so I won't slow this post down with one right now.

- Updated Sylvie's build chart.
- Sylvie's node goal is good. A bit open ended but good.
- Updated Sylvie's spoiler block.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, so Yuth is a few levels behind, as is his node. Fixing that so multi levels for the ones coming up. That idea did not work out so time to fix it.

Dana reaches level 36, 37 and 38.

Quick check, does she need to multiclass? No, she wants to stick with what she has already.

- Dwarven Defender 23, 24 and 25 on one side and Psychic Warrior 28, 29 and 30 on the other.
- Hit dice rolls are 10, 2 and 10 for a total of 22 hit points from those. 21 from Constitution, 3 from toughness, 3 from psionic body, 12 from epic toughness. That's a total of 61 hit points and a grand total of 731 hit points.
- +3 BAB for a total of +38.
- +2 daily defensive stances.
- Trap sense rises by 1.
- Dwarven Defender's dodge bonus to AC rises by 1.
- +3 CL for her sole SLA.
- Gains 36th, 37th and 38th level psychic warrior manifesting. First of all, power points. That's 84 points from psychic warrior and Dana's wisdom score adds an additional 14 for a total of 95 power points and a grand total of 681 power points. As for powers, she gets 1 new power of 11th level.  See below for the new power.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Level 36 stat point goes to Wisdom for 30 total. This adjusts her bonus power points, which nets her an additional 19 power points for new grand total of 700.
- All skills go up as normal.
- Dana gets three feats: 36, DD25 and PW30. She selects Great Ability(Wisdom)(36) first of all. This nets her an additional 19 power points for a new grand total of 719 power points. Next is Epic Toughness(PW30) for another 76 hit points for a new grand total of 807 hit points. The last is Damage Reduction (DD25) for more damage reduction.

Solid level set for Dana, got about everything she values. She could use a smidge more AC but that'll come in due time.

Becklee's Exasperated Revenge
Psychometabolism [Force]
Level: Psychic warrior 11
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level
Power Points: 24

When you manifest this power, a barely visible red aura of ectoplasm surrounds you. Should you be reduced to zero or less hit points while under the effects of this power by a creature, this creature immediately suffers 24d6 points of force damage and you heal hit points equal to the damage dealt. This healing can save you from death, and if the hit points recovered leave you in negative hit points but still alive, you are automatically disabled instead of dying or stable.

This power unerringly seeks the source of damage. A ranged attack or spell does not fool it and it strikes at the creature the attack originated from. This power cannot strike beyond planar boundaries, except for ethereal creatures, but can strike the creature over any distance, so long as they are on the same plane.

Augment

For every additional power point you spend, this power's damage increases by 1d6.

- Updated Dana's build chart.
- Dana's node goal is good and pretty easy to fulfill.
- Updated Dana's spoiler block.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Miranda reaches level 36, 37 and 38.

- Valkyrie 36, 37 and 38 on one side and Focused Hunter 4, 5 and 6 on the other.
- Hit dice rolls are 8, 5 and 7 for a total of 20 from those. 27 from Constitution and 3 from toughness. That's a total of 50 hit points and a grand total of 576 hit points.
- +3 BAB for a total of +38.
- +3 spell resistance to 48.
- Gains Valkyrie Archer. See below. This frees up her level 15 feat which is retrained into Hunter's Insight.
- Dispelling Shot's dispel modifier rises by 3.
- Gains Hunter's Grace. Wisdom to saves vs favored enemies is very nice.
- Gains Hunter's Skill. Not great but it's a nice option to have when she can't risk a bad roll.
- Gains Greater Dispelling Shot. The upgrade's nice.
- +3 CL of SLAs.
- Gains 34th and 35th level ranger spellcasting. That's two more 8th level spells per day. Miranda goes, perhaps predictably, for two more castings of Miranda's Banecrush.
- All saves rises by 1.
- Level 36 stat point goes into Dexterity.
- Gets two feats (besides the power attack thing above): 36 and FH6 bonus feat. For 36 she goes with improved favored enemy, since she's all in on the extra damage. She uses the FH bonus feat for Hunter's Insight which frees up her level 15 feat again. She'll select Improved Critical. Not super great but x3 at least so it hurts good when it comes home.

Miranda's role is quite good and she fits. Fire arrows, kill favored enemies. It works.

Valkyrie Archer (Ex)

Miranda has mastered the art of battle archery. She never provokes an attack of opportunity for making ranged attacks. She may use power attack with ranged weapons and gains power attack as a bonus feat.

- Updated Miranda's build chart. She has some new feat options from that, read below. I suspect Barrier Piercer needs clarity or a note attached, let me know if you see any flaws in it or ways to abuse it.
- Miranda's node goal is good. No problems there.
- Updated Miranda's spoiler block.

Epic Dispelling Shot [Epic]
Prerequisite: Greater Dispelling Shot
Benefit: Your dispel check for greater dispelling shot gains a +2 bonus.

Improved Dispelling Shot [Epic]
Prerequisite: Epic Dispelling Shot, dex 25
Benefit: Your dispelling shots ignore miss chance from spells, such as from a blur or displacement spell. Spells that produce multiple illusory targets, such as mirror image, do not affect your dispelling shot.

Barrier Piercer [Epic]
Prerequisite: Epic Dispelling Shot
Benefit: Your dispelling shots ignore various magical barriers that would normally stop them, such as wind wall, wall of force, solid fog, prismatic wall or prismatic sphere, so long as they were cast by one of your favored enemies. This does not apply to barriers created by spells with an instantaneous duration.
<Afina> Forever.