News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

He is a mad scientist working tirelessly against a shadow organization that seeks to take over the world! Alongside that important work, he also runs a laboratory inventing useful gadgets, such as a gun that works as a tv remote or an optical camouflage device made of a sphere of CRT displays. Currently experimenting with combining a microwave with a mobile phone.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 24, 2021, 02:50:28 PM
My concept is probably going to be a Vtuber. Maybe with health or other issues that going on a jumpchain would alleviate, and otherwise being the sort of person that's not so comfortable in her own skin but really good at playing the extroverted entertainer type online especially with the help of an anime persona between her and the audience. Sort of person that might enjoy having different lives in each jump and trying different personas.

As far as skills probably isn't bringing more to the table than singing, playing videogames, and spouting memes. But that doesn't really matter because all the skills and powers are coming from the jumps.

Okay, seems reasonable. Definitely feels like someone who might fit into a jumpchain party.

I like the idea of changing personas each jump and finding out who she really is.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 24, 2021, 02:53:30 PM
He is a mad scientist working tirelessly against a shadow organization that seeks to take over the world! Alongside that important work, he also runs a laboratory inventing useful gadgets, such as a gun that works as a tv remote or an optical camouflage device made of a sphere of CRT displays. Currently experimenting with combining a microwave with a mobile phone.

Okay, I need to ask since I'm not that familiar with Steins;gate and I rather ask you first before I wikidive. Would he fall afoul of this:

Quote- You can be from any world you want, so long as you are entirely human in ability. No super powers, nothing of note brought in with you. Basic talents are fine of course. Young, old, in between, whatever. It doesn't matter much, just go with your concept, but for the sake of everything please choose adult (18 years old or older) characters.

- Additionally the world you come from must be no more advanced than than our world in 2021.

Would his general MO or capabilities fit those two character guidelines? I don't see any problem with him if they do fit and he's a good fit for the party, but I'm not sure about those so let's clear this up right now.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I think it should be okay? Steins;gate has a bullshit microwave-based time travel thing but it really hasn't been invented at this point, plus it has a bunch of alternate timelines so that could also work.

Okarin-wise, he's a flamboyant engineer so he'd have those skills, but within the limits of reason. His friends are the ones who are geniuses bordering on the supernatural, he's just decently capable. And naturally he's human.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 24, 2021, 03:03:28 PM
I think it should be okay? Steins;gate has a bullshit microwave-based time travel thing but it really hasn't been invented at this point, plus it has a bunch of alternate timelines so that could also work.

Okarin-wise, he's a flamboyant engineer so he'd have those skills, but within the limits of reason. His friends are the ones who are geniuses bordering on the supernatural, he's just decently capable. And naturally he's human.

Okay, that should be fine as long as that's understood. An inventor type is fine and goodness knows the chain has perks to build on that archetype.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Concept is an Alaskan who wanted to be a veterinarian her whole life. She was always outside and rambunctious, finding every animal possible and always mothering and nursing any hurt animal she found. As she grew, her desire became more intense and went to school for it, eventually opening her own practice.

Unfortunately, her practice was essentially breaking even and she was drowning in student debt. While she was treading water, she knew she had to do something to secure her finances. So to get out of the red, she joined the Coast Guard to get her school paid off.

After serving as an Emergency Medical Technician on a Search and Rescue team for two years, her ship was sent out on a rescue. As they were pulling the panicking people out of the water, one of them scrambled and fought to get over the rail, knocking her overboard. As she fell, her knee slammed into the railing and side of the ship, breaking it.

She was medically discharged and has worn an knee support brace ever since. On returning home, she found her practice had been replaced by a different vet while she was gone, which effectively left her without a job. She had a homestead in the area, and had built her home, so she searched for a job that let her be out in nature and became a Game Warden, though her knee brace made it a very close thing.

I plan for her skill set to be medical, tracking/survival, nature, and leadership (if we actually need that or if it matters for companion/follower stuff), and law-enforcement aligned, with good-will and a desire to help people.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

That sounds solid enough, Iddy. I like it.

Okay so as of now we have the following:

A mad scientist type.

A V-tuber girl.

A wilderness/vet type.

Neph, what are you thinking of?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

As we await Neph's input, a question for all of you.

On a scale of 1-10, how interested are you in having companions along with you? I can tailor the companion rules with your interest in mind.

As a refresher: Companions are various people from the worlds you visit that come along with you. While they aren't full jumpers, they often have means to get character points and make purchases from jump docs like you. They're allies in other words. Often the appeal is to bring along characters from various series that you like. (E.g. recruit Bruce Wayne from Batman.)
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I'd say 8? We don't need to have a massive swarm or anything but the problem of jumpchain is once you leave a jump behind that's it, it's gone and so is everyone in it. Having a consistent cast is important for being invested.

Corwin

Let's go with 10, if the question is about having a companion, ever.
I think jumpchains are similar to time loops. At a certain point, and that usually comes pretty early, only those in the loop matter in a certain way. The rest are often held at an arm's length.

Iron Dragoon

If we're talking like *one* companion each, I'd say I'm about a 6-8.

If we're talking like multiple each? 0. Not worth it, too much trouble/effort/work IMO. Just look at what a workload it was leveling up a single node.

Iron Dragoon

On a different note, I'm also considering a character that's more of a medieval type character. Perhaps a type of bounty hunter, or a outrider/anti-poaching version of what I posted before.

This is incase Neph decides to do a non-modern character, for my previously stated reasons.

Anastasia

Okay, Balmuria talk a sec. I'm pegging this as a month or so  (from new game start) break from B6. Perhaps less if it fails or fizzles, perhaps more if it catches fire. As such there's a certain amount of upkeep to do on my end to prepare for this gap. Is there anything any of you need brought up, mentioned or kept in mind for this?

I don't have anything in mind with answers here, it's just a general check.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Ebiris