News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Okay, follow up after a night's sleep and some chats to further firm this up.

Once we begin this the schedule is roughly something like this:

3 weekdays for B6. Ideally only one session per day so I'm not burning it at both ends with an evening session too, but we'll see how schedules permit. My most preferred option is Tuesday through Thursdays but we'll see how this works out.

1 weekend day for Jumpchain Adventure. Probably Saturday though switching to Sunday in the offseason's an option. The jump after Ranma's better suited to weekly adventures. This will depend on how scheduling for it looks, but I suspect Saturday makes the most sense.

Contrary to what I posted last time, it may make more sense to have Jumpchain Adventures as a weekly game rather than pause it entirely. This is all tentative so we'll see. Regardless odds are unless we finish Ranma before the end of November we won't start B6 back up until into 2022. This is due to December being December, and if possible I'd like to take a few weeks off in mid/late December for full on B6 prep and holiday celebrations.

Right now I'd like a list of which two NPCs from your nodes you'd like to focus on. Nothing binding, this is just a check to see where you're at on it. Eb, you're in a unique situation so one of those 'NPCs' in this case may be Marie but figure that out later. Mechanical considerations are more than okay here, so feel free to bring them up.

<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Yeah I'll just pick Antenora and Marie as my two focused NPCs, makes sense.

Iron Dragoon

Emily and Jarem, I think. They're the two most developed and have been with Alyssa the longest.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Sounds good for both. This isn't final or anything so feel free to think it over, but this helps me mentally plan.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Sylvie and Xandra. If Sylvie is separate, then Xandra and Jetina.

My concern with this will be Cresiel and Kaja were the two melee powerhouses we had, so I would be a bit concerned about losing some fighting ability there.

Anastasia

It's a bit of an odd split, yeah. I'll see where we're at mechanically when this gets closer and choices are finalized.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on October 15, 2021, 06:59:06 PM
Sylvie and Xandra. If Sylvie is separate, then Xandra and Jetina.

My concern with this will be Cresiel and Kaja were the two melee powerhouses we had, so I would be a bit concerned about losing some fighting ability there.

DM Disclaimer: This is purely mechanical analysis. Please don't read anything into it beyond that, not trying to influence RP or character related reasons here.

I do think Jetina's unique in that she's by far the best healer in any of the nodes. Like the best melee warrior's arguable - probably Donald, Antenora or Kaja for various reasons - or best mage - most of Seira's node, Xandra or Emily - but there's really no contest that Jetina's the best healer by a lot. That does give her a certain value but if that's enough to matter is another question.

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

In the grand scheme of things, if I keep Sylvie then it isn't a huge deal since Moore makes her about as terrifying as anyone.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on October 15, 2021, 09:06:48 PM
In the grand scheme of things, if I keep Sylvie then it isn't a huge deal since Moore makes her about as terrifying as anyone.

Yeah, basically. Moore makes it so that anyone of your node can contribute in melee, and honestly, none of them are truly bad at it. Xandra's the worst and she's so-so, everyone else is good. Heck, even Jetins's good at melee despite her healer status. (She's actually a smite machine if she ever needs to be.)
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira is the best mage! Fight me.

Incidentally, you commented on other nodes but not on mine, what are your recs for my NPCs?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 21, 2021, 01:08:04 AM
Seira is the best mage! Fight me.

Quite possibly, but I was talking about NPCs. I know them the best.

QuoteIncidentally, you commented on other nodes but not on mine, what are your recs for my NPCs?

I haven't commented because you haven't commented yet. I've refrained from comment until PCs have made their opinions known, so as not to influence the choice unduly. In other words I'm waiting on you to post about it before expressing my own thoughts. I want your honest opinion on which, rather than something I influence by what I say.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

For real Cor, curious as to who you'd choose and my responses to you are waiting on that.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Right, that's fine. I do want to understand the intent better, first. For example, let's say I pick Donald and Sanzha, does it mean the others don't even feature in social events, or does it just affect the combat loadout, so to speak?

What about the others, either way? When we all level, do they keep frozen or do you level them up too? What about exceptions, like if I want to finish the Lost Chalice plot with Amaryl, but otherwise want to choose others for the regular dungeons and Shar fight?

Do we run them in any capacity in battle, or is it all you? If the latter, for example, I'm not going to choose a mage or a factotum but focus on fighters and bards.

What about quest NPCs? To return to the Lost Chalice example, does this mean Xera won't be able to come with next time, whoever I choose from my companions?

What about the threat level? If we do a lot of collabs, and Moore is around, picking Sanzha is somewhat pointless. But if I still adventure plenty without him, not picking her is suicidal given the massive boost Divine Bards give. Even if you adjust enemy/threat levels, I think it is going to feel off if a now-stronger enemy can be hit with 20 less to attack, and so on. Hardly impossible to handle, but I do want to match our expectations ahead of restarting the game.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 24, 2021, 05:39:19 AM
Right, that's fine. I do want to understand the intent better, first. For example, let's say I pick Donald and Sanzha, does it mean the others don't even feature in social events, or does it just affect the combat loadout, so to speak?

To quote myself: 2. Focus on the PC in the node as well as 1-2 NPCs each. Probably 2. The others won't vanish but those will be the focus of most events and the others will be in a more supporting role. They'll often be doing things that need to be done but not necessarily on screen.

I'm sure they'll show up at least form time to time if not more, but the point is to focus.

QuoteWhat about the others, either way? When we all level, do they keep frozen or do you level them up too? What about exceptions, like if I want to finish the Lost Chalice plot with Amaryl, but otherwise want to choose others for the regular dungeons and Shar fight?

To be clear first and foremost: I'm not going to do a situation that end runs the the intend of this focus. It defeats the purpose of what I'm doing. With that said, I'll do what I can with what we have and seek to work out things reasonably. Level ups will be as needed and as my work load permits.

QuoteDo we run them in any capacity in battle, or is it all you? If the latter, for example, I'm not going to choose a mage or a factotum but focus on fighters and bards.

I'll be running them with the exception of Marie.

QuoteWhat about quest NPCs? To return to the Lost Chalice example, does this mean Xera won't be able to come with next time, whoever I choose from my companions?

Total honesty, let me see when we get there but I'll figure something out.

QuoteWhat about the threat level? If we do a lot of collabs, and Moore is around, picking Sanzha is somewhat pointless. But if I still adventure plenty without him, not picking her is suicidal given the massive boost Divine Bards give. Even if you adjust enemy/threat levels, I think it is going to feel off if a now-stronger enemy can be hit with 20 less to attack, and so on. Hardly impossible to handle, but I do want to match our expectations ahead of restarting the game.

In all honesty, the mechanical end of balancing this is something you all should have in mind at least as a small factor. Some of this is in your hands - you all having conversations about mechanical needs to be filled is absolutely a good idea. At the same time I'll figure out things balance wise more once we get closer and have a cast worked out.

But in general none of you are weak and are in fact extremely strong, capable and versatile epic level 3.5 characters. Some more than others but none of you should be unable to rise to challenges, and neither should NPCs. As a side note I may tweak an NPC chosen if needed, though most of the ones favored so far don't strike me as needing it. So while mechanical considerations should be a factor in your calculus, it shouldn't be the only one or the dominant one.
<Afina> Forever.