News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 02, 2021, 03:29:04 PM
Today's question is a nostalgic one.

As the battles against Shar intensify, it seems Aurora may have a role in this. Are there any NPCs from Aurora (and not otherwise seen or available in game, such as Kascha or Sylvie) that you'd like to see get some screen time?

You know who. He already swings above his weight class when used right.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 02, 2021, 04:22:27 PM

As the battles against Shar intensify, it seems Aurora may have a role in this. Are there any NPCs from Aurora (and not otherwise seen or available in game, such as Kascha or Sylvie) that you'd like to see get some screen time?

Please be specific? I'm pretty sure you mean Surru but assumptions can go wrong.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on December 02, 2021, 03:32:15 PM

The Amalgam of Sylvie and Moore and the others that came out of Mystra's spooky library.

I realize it isn't from Aurora, but Moore would actually like to talk to Makim again - assuming he'd want to talk to Moore, anyway.

Noted on both.

I also note it was talking that got you into trouble with Makim the first time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on December 02, 2021, 03:37:04 PM
Afina deserves a chance to kill Gathgorian.

Well realistically the ship has sailed, and honestly I actively resent any time spent on Gathgorian because it just reminds me of how disappointing the end of B3 was. Had to be said though.

We're pretty much moving out of Aurora's weight class so no one there has much relevance going forward. Maybe Baleruk.

I generically nod to the first part. I don't wanna get into that, and any sort of confrontation between the two would likely be post game and beyond the scope of B6. Afina catching up to him and finally confronting Gathgorian could be fun, but it's simply outside of what B6 is covering. It might make a fun side game one of these days, though. Obviously assuming he survives B6, which is not a sure thing.

I do agree with the last sentence. It's more just a chance if you wanna see anyone, it doesn't have to be combat related. None of Aurora can really compete with you all now.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 02, 2021, 04:33:52 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 02, 2021, 04:22:27 PM

Please be specific? I'm pretty sure you mean Surru but assumptions can go wrong.

Yes, Surraruthru.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on December 02, 2021, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on December 02, 2021, 03:32:15 PM

The Amalgam of Sylvie and Moore and the others that came out of Mystra's spooky library.

I realize it isn't from Aurora, but Moore would actually like to talk to Makim again - assuming he'd want to talk to Moore, anyway.

Noted on both.

I also note it was talking that got you into trouble with Makim the first time.

You're not wrong. He's learned how to use his voice without any magic since then, though. :)

Corwin

A distant glance at our old PCs would be nice, so long as they're off doing cool shit. Killing the First Vampire qualifies.

I really like Mei, whether silent or a gossip.

Maybe someone tried ascending via One? Could be nice so long as it's not Candy, she turned out to be a bitch to Kascha.

Baleruk is always neat, he can become my minion if he wishes. I'm sure I can take care of that pesky abomination thing.

A glance at the Graceful Blow would be neat, along with our old pal Adrian.

If I don't use magic, would The Master want to spar?

Better stop here or we would be here all day.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Okay, no question over the weekend. Instead it's a simple reminder. If you need anything mechanical like homebrew, custom spells or tweaks, now is the time. I'll review NPCs  closer to the date to see if they need anything. Last minute requests are going to get the DM gaze of doom.

Likewise, I suggest that you make some of your own homebrew spells for the future.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Echo of Healing
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 14 Drd 15 Hlr 14
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target: One creature/5 levels
Duration: 1 rounds/5 levels
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When you cast this spell, all creatures are affected by a Heal spell. At the end of the next round and every two rounds thereafter, those creatures are again affected by a Heal spell.

These are spells that I submitted prior to the hiatus that I don't think were officially adjudicated. I touched some of them up a little bit.

Magic of Yesterday
Divination
Level: Brd 10, Sor/Wiz 13
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Area: 300ft radius, centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell, which is a modified version of Hindsight, allows the caster to see spells and magic that was used in the past. This spell reaches back 1 day per caster level and informs the caster of any magic used as if it had been cast at the same time and they had used a Greater Arcane Sight spell. You are allowed normal skill checks to identify any spells or magic that Magic of Yesterday uncovers.

Light of the Illuminated Heaven
Evocation [Light, Good]
Level: Clr 14, Pal 12
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Personal
Area: 70 foot burst, centered on you
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will partial (see text).

You call upon the light from the highest layer of Mount Celestia to erupt out of you in all directions. This light purges and weakens shadows in its radius as it fills the area completely with light. Any evil creature who is within the spell's radius loses any benefit from magical or supernatural shadows for 7 rounds. Creatures that succeed on their will save find these powers weakened briefly and lose their benefit for one round. This spell acts as Superb Dispelling against magical or supernatural darkness and any shadow-based spells.

Shadowdread Weapon
Evocation [Good]
Level: Sanctified 13
Components: V, S, F
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell removes all normal benefits and properties of a weapon and turns it into a blazing white version of itself. While enchanted like this, the weapon is able to strike those who use shadows as a primary defense; the weapon ignores any miss chance or concealment provided by magical or supernatural shadows or similar effects.

The bonuses from this spell overwrite a weapon's normal properties, but it cannot affect an artifact.

Focus

The melee weapon to be enchanted.

Anastasia

Just a quick check, is echo of healing inspired by another spell?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on December 06, 2021, 08:24:21 PM
Just a quick check, is echo of healing inspired by another spell?

I do not think there's anything like it specifically, at least that I know of. In theory, Delayed Blast Fireball is kind of like it, but not exactly? That wasn't the inspiration, anyway.

Anastasia

Looking back I already approved Magic of Yesterday. For Illuminated Heaven, did you crib from another spell? I know exactly what the last spell cribs from.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I did not, except references to dispelling darkness from similar spells like Sunlight/Daylight/Sunbeam.

Anastasia

I'm very tentatively aiming at the week of January 3rd or 10th to pick this back up. Maybe the 17th if prep runs long.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Just trying my hand at some gravity-themed spells. They need a bit more work but I figured I'd at least put them here so I didn't forget about them entirely. My big issue with them is I think they'd require a lot of DM fiat to be used, but sometimes that happens. You could make a mass version of the Greater one too if you wanted, assuming any of them are any good to begin with!

I added spell resistance to the targeted versions because that seemed to make sense, although I could see you not doing that since you're really just affecting the gravity around them and not the creature themselves, but I'm not really sure how that works in practice. For reference, Reverse Gravity has no saving throw or spell resistance (well, it does, but only if you've got something to hold onto or can just fly) I'm fine with refining these, at any rate.

Increase Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 5
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell changes the gravity around one creature. For the duration of the spell, this creature treats gravity one stage worse (Light to Normal, Normal to Heavy), to a maximum of Heavy Gravity.

Mass Increase Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two levels (S)

This spell functions like Increase Gravity, except as noted above.

Greater Increase Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 10
Range: Short

This spell functions like Increase Gravity, except that it increases it by three levels and there is no upper limit to the strength of the planar trait.

Gravitational Crush
Transmutation
Level: Drd 13, Sor/Wiz 12
Range: Short
Duration: 1 round/5 levels (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

This spell causes gravity around one subject to increase to such a point as to begin to cause damage. This spell does 1d8 force damage per level (Maximum 35d8) and afflicts a target as if by a Slow spell. In addition, the target is treated as if being under the heaviest possible planar trait for gravity for the duration of the spell. A successful fortitude save halves the damage and negates the Slow, but the target is still treated as being under this gravity.