News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Crushed Slavers

Started by Anastasia, September 17, 2018, 11:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

CL check on whatever spell you're using to analyze the magic here.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

It's Greater Arcane Sight.

20:30 <CC> roll 1d20+34
20:30 <Kobot> CC rolled 1d20+34 --> [ 1d20=8 ]{42}
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

The magic is remarkably strong - you can't analyze it.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Since it seems like the magic was cast by a true archmage, Seira decides to recast Greater Arcane Sight again. And again, and again, if needed.

Up to three castings, which would take up a round if I need all of them.

20:53 <CC> roll 3#1d20+34
20:53 <Kobot> CC rolled 3#1d20+34 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{51}, [ 1d20=13 ]{47}, [ 1d20=18 ]{52}

Anastasia

The second try is sufficient.

The magic here is tied to the entire room. Magical glyphs ready to go off, flooding the room with harmful magic of all types if you make the slightest mistake. If precisely the right key, both physically and magically, is not put in or the lock is tampered with at all? It all goes off. The door is linked to the lock, only opening if the lock is successfully turned.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira runs her divination, even as she ensures the mechanism is not trapped so long as one doesn't try to activate it. If looking into it, examining it with an emulation of Lagann's metal sense or sending vibrations through the material won't set it off, she'll do that while studying the owners's actions

Perception 10 for 84, K:Engineering 10 for 57, Craft/Metalworks 10 for 57, Craft/Traps 10 for 83, Appraise 10 for 83, Disable Device 10 for 83.

As for the divination, I'll just use the two remaining rolls from earlier if needed, it's the same CL.

Anastasia

The mechanism isn't trapped otherwise, as long as you don't try to disrupt it or use the wrong key, or otherwise fiddle with it. You note this includes dispels that don't work.

Vibrations in the middle should send it off - it's fairly precisely tuned and set for that.

You see the mercane comes in, puts a golden key in and turns it, the vault door opening.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

If she can't risk setting off the device, then Seira will just try and alter the opacity of its shell. That, along with study of the magic involved, should allow her to prepare the right key!

I know there's a ring of x-ray vision and there might be other ways as well. I'll try to basically get an idea for the mundane key's needed shape, and study the magic involved so I could match it via my counterspelling expertise. Finally, UMD should do the trick if I time it right with turning the key.

Anastasia

Do you have any Craft skill relevant to forging a key?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Of course! Craft/Metalworks (5) and Craft/Traps (31), just to name a couple. Disable Device (31) is clearly relevant, especially since Open Lock was folded into it. I have Knowledge/Engineering (5) to give me some theoretical info as well, and Appraise (31) goes well with it. Obviously Use Magic Device (31) helps on the magical side of things.

Anastasia

Give me a Craft(Metalworks) check with a +6 circumstance bonus due to related skills.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

21:24 <CC> roll 1d20+32+6+15+12+20 divine insight, guidance of the avatar, using up improvisation
21:24 <Kobot> CC rolled 1d20+32+6+15+12+20 divine insight, guidance of the avatar, using up improvisation --> [ 1d20=16 ]{101}

Anastasia

It's hard but you believe you've managed a perfect copy of the key, at least physically.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira focuses on the magic anew, studying it before even as she thinks back to the Crimson Guard's early days.

First, do I need a Spellcraft or K:Arcane roll to study the magic enough to emulate the magical key with UMD? Second, can I turn my key into a magical item (costing up to 4,500gp!) with exciting divine powers, and have it be like Frozen Oath? Then I could shift the magic within it with my own before it had a chance to settle.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.