News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Getting the band together

Started by Anastasia, January 23, 2019, 01:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Thus all of you plunge in and...

It's like being entombed in heat, gliding through it and the rough caress of rock. On and on you go as...

Huh. Lagann leads you around and to the sides, up and down. A winding, twisting path, moving forward only slowly, taking a careful path indeed.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Seira follows, not worried about the time. The shorter-duration spells get refreshed every three minutes, and it takes Seira a mere moment to do so as they proceed. She holds onto her curiosity of whether Lagann will manage to grab them some liquid adamantium, but that's only a secondary objective and a distant one at that. She won't bug him over it, since that was presented at the briefing, and just advance quietly while waiting for any signs of magic or of a sapient hand shaping local conditions.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

You go on and on until at last you come to a small gap - barely big enough for the three of you. "Traps," Lagann says shortly, "Nothing too hard, but annoying enough. We're about halfway, roughly."

"And the adamantine?" Oraga asks.

"I'm siphoning some as we go," he agrees, "For later study."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira studies the traps, of course! And prepares to get things going again.

Spellcraft 10 for 87, K:A 10 for 102. Perception 10 for 102. If I believe I can disable the traps without triggering some alarm, I'll use Disable Device at 10 for 87.

Anastasia

It's varied - blasts that will decimate space around them, traps to dispel magic, little tricks that will cause flash freezing of the area and an explosion moments later when the native heat compensates, traps that transmute the stone into  boiling hot toxins and other such things. You could disable them as you go, but unless you're able to work really fast, you suspect it'll slow you down more that way. Most of them look to only take a few moments to deactivate if you cast the right names and sigils at them, fortunately.

This is a case where the epic usages of disable device should be noted as a reminder.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Let's use the epic usage, sure. The right spells for me are via SLAs, which are Quickened. Thus, a swift action, of which I have 2 per round while still able to double move/run. By my understanding, that's either one or two steps. Let's try it by taking 10 for 87 and reducing as needed. If two step reductions are too much for the DC and things explode, taking things a bit slower with a single step is fine too.

Anastasia

Sure.

Seira begins to go, the pace both slower and faster - momentary pauses for Seira to work, then straighter movement as you go. Your pace accelerates once you fall into a rhythm.

After a time you come out again - ahead is a massive, boiling sea of adamantine, stretching to the sides like a great seam. Here Lagann whistles low  as heat slams into the three of you, "Now that's what I want to see." The dark liquid boils and writhes, yet no steam emerges, only overwhelming heat. It smells overwhelming like the earth and dirt, of fumes and fire.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"How about working up a miracle and parting that sea for us?" Seira proposes with a grin.

Anastasia

Lagann raises his hand and utters a word of power. Instantly the sea of boiling adamantine begins to part...

...Until it roars back. It flows back together, resisting as dozens of the same, angry face begin to form all over the vast mass.

Skipping the K:P check, you can't fail.

You know what is happening. It appears some sort of elemental spirit has taken resident inside of this lake of adamantine. Naturally, that's like splitting its body in half and it was not amused by your efforts here.

Oraga steps forward, glowering at it, ready to strike.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Oh wow! This is amazing!" Seira cheers, beaming at the angry faces. "You're amazing! I apologize for not realizing you were an elemental spirit. Do you get many visitors? Do you like it here? You're so huge!"

Anastasia

Being able to speak any language is useful here.

Give me a Diplomacy check since communication isn't a problem.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

19:40 <CC> roll 1d20+84 (+2 if male!)
19:40 <Penuche> CC invokes Penuche's magic: < 86 > [d20=2]

Anastasia

The faces all watch you now, listening as the adamantine continues to boil. At least it's not attacking you, so that's a point on your side - wait.

It replies in burning Ignan, cracking and popping with the boiling adamantine within it. "I have no name. I have no purpose but to burn and boil. You are the golden fire? I sense your flames."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Oh yes! Goldenfire, the Fire of Creation, was entrusted to me by Kossuth and Lathander." She grins at the elemental. "Of course, I've tried to put a few of my own personal touches to it. Would you like a name? Who gave you your purpose?"

Anastasia

The faces watch you as they utter, "No one. I was not, and then I was. I came to this place and it was good. What is my name?"
<Afina> Forever.