News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Knowledge shall lead the...

Started by Anastasia, December 25, 2019, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Seira waves Donald and Ranbar over, before summoning an emanation of flames that surrounds the three of them to drive the ice in the immediate area back.

Going for a variant of Crown of Flames that burns everything within a 10ft radius of me, not using goldenfire. Donald and Ranbar have Fire Resistance 30 so won't be harmed by the 2d6 fire.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Roll the fire damage, it matters here.

"Trying to entomb us in ice?" Ranbar frowns, "We'll have to burn it away, nothing more or less."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

19:58 <Seira> roll 2d6
19:58 <Penuche> Seira invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d6=1,4]

Corwin

"I can burn the ice away fairly reliably, but I'd prefer a solid means of doing so around me," Seira muses.

Incidentally, would using a Planar Bubble spell allow me to treat the area around me as divinely morphic? These are the Cauldron planar traits:

Cauldron Traits

- No gravity: Movement in The Cauldron is as per the Astral Plane.

- Normal time

- Finite size: The Cauldron is about 50 miles in diameter. The edges lead back into the Astral Plane. As Seira is a burgeoning power, The Cauldron's size may change as she sees fit.

- Divinely morphic : Certain powerful creatures (Seira) can alter The Cauldron with a thought. Normal creatures find The Cauldron as easy to alter as the Prime Material Plane.

- Elemental balanced dominant: The Cauldron is a stable mixture of all four elements. While naturally quite warm, it is tolerable for all sorts of creatures.

- Enhanced magic: Spells and spell-like abilities with the fire or water descriptors are cast at +1 caster level.

- Impeded magic: Spells and spell-like abilities with the cold descriptor are cast at -1 caster level. As Seira's studies of elemental harmony advance, it is likely both the enhanced and impeded magic traits of The Cauldron will further change.

Anastasia

This is in the realm of something you'd know from experience and lore, so no checks needed.

You're pretty sure the unique properties of this place would interfere regardless. It felt resistant to your will to begin with, so you strongly suspect a planar bubble spell would not suffice here.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira decides to channel her modified Crown of Flames spell to Donald and then to Ranbar, to increase their own defenses and in case they end up separated.

Anastasia

> roll 2d6 Donald
<Penuche> Kotono invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d6=2,2]
> roll 2d6 Ranbar
<Penuche> Kotono invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d6=4,5]

Flames burn but it only slightly slows down the ice, which is spreading fast, arching around the three of you and inwards.

"We need stronger fire," Ranbar declares, "I don't have any good fire magic that'll do it."

"I got meteor swarms," Donald calls, spells at the ready.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Telekinesis closes the door they came through originally in case Seira needs a retreat, and then she breathes down the corridor to her heart's content!

20:41 <Seira> roll 20d10 goldenfire~
20:41 <Penuche> Seira invokes Penuche's magic: < 113 > [d10=6,9,6,1,3,9,8,8,7,4,5,6,1,9,7,5,5,3,8,3]

Anastasia

Woooosh. Your golden fire is able to bore through the ice, a tunnel made ahead - but it's already filling back in with ice, coming from the walls. This new hall goes on to a door to the north and a door to the west by it.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

We're going north for now, Seira says, moving swiftly to the northern door.

Perception 10 for 114, I'll open the northern door if there are no traps and step past.

Anastasia

You rush on as the ice hurries back and - oh no, the door is trapped. It'll make everything here and more flash frozen if you trip it. You have to disable it - fast!
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

21:23 <Seira> roll 1d20+105+15 disable device, I'll go for an epic usage of the skill that lets me disable it faster!
21:23 <Penuche> Seira invokes Penuche's magic: < 122 > [d20=2]

I'm not too clear on the steps here since I don't recall being given time in rounds for the traps I usually disarm. I suppose I'll reduce as many steps as I need to in order to be 'fast enough' to succeed in the time I have?

Epic Disable Device

Reduction   DC Modifier
1 step   +20
2 steps   +40
3 steps   +60
4 steps   +80

A master trapsmith moves far faster and disables traps in a blink of the eye.

Fast Disarm

You can disarm traps faster in exchange for making the task more difficult. The trap is reduced by a number of steps, with the steps being 2d4 rounds, 1d4 rounds, 1 round, a move action and a free action. For example, a trap that takes 2d4 rounds to disable reduced by 2 steps would only take 1 round.

Anastasia

On a glance you can see it would take you a round to disarm this. You'd need to do it as fast as possible and be able to get through, too.

Normally I don't bother since you don't do traps on a time limit.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'll go for a one step reduction for a result of 102, then. So a move action, then I can zap inside with a swift with Fiery Leap and once everyone steps past use the standard action to close the door to hopefully stop the spread of the frost.

Anastasia

The trap is fiendishly complex, a twenty fold arcane diagram tied to various crystals that regulate it all.

If you weren't so impossibly good already, you'd be doomed. You use a burst of magic to set it all at once, overwhelming it as you turn to fire and rush through the door to the north. Got it! A moment later the entire room is flash frozen but you're beyond that, the ice not spreading here. This room is tiny, barely larger than a closer, but it has more doors north on the far wall.

"Close," Donald looks back, "Way too close."

Ranbar does the same, "Close as a devil's claws to a sinner's soul."
<Afina> Forever.