It is a very sunny day.

Main Menu

Quantum Hop

Started by Anastasia, August 24, 2004, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Yes, we still do omakes. Deal.

---

This is a topic for Quantum Hop. For those of you unaware of what it is, imagine QUantum Leap mixed with Sailor Moon and some of my own kookiness. The basic premise is that something, someone or Someone has sent Usagi's spirit to other worlds, in Usagi's body. Think Quantum Leap here, except Usagis are the only leap target. While displaced, the spirit and soul of the native Usagis are in game Usagi's body.

Thus, fun for all.

GAME RULES:

Usagi: In each world, she must trigger 'hop conditions', a change to the world that will cause her to move on. Again, think Quantum Leap here. There are three tiers of endings possible, each carrying a point value that the GM keeps track of.

Bad - Failure or close enough, world is worse off then when started. Takes work to get, generally.

Normal - The default ending for a world. Usagi manages the basic objectives well enough, but doesn't excel fully.

Good - Excellent results. Usagi has fully managed every possibility well, and done a lot of good. Also, this may be awarded if a normal ending is achieved in a way that is both ingenous and causes a lot of good secondary effects.

Said point values will have a role near the end game. Bonus points may be awarded should Usagi solve the puzzles of why she is here and who is behind it earlier than scheduled. Also, managing to have an effect in the homeworld may trigger bonus points. (G'luck there, it'll take work.)

Rei - On the flip side, Rei must deal with the Usagi that has been slipped into her world. Good luck there, Rei-chan. While Rei is scored as well, her point tally is far more relative and up to the GM's discretion. Points may be given out in the form of other things before Usagi's points are addressed.

World summaries thus far below, then the scorecard.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Eight years later and I pass by to do typo corrections. I scare myself.

Keep an eye on this, I plan to update it after every completed world.

World 1 - Deathbusters from hell, and starting out.

-Test run world-

Usagi:

Note that first and foremost, this world had only one ending, regardless of how it resolved - normal.

This was the GM starting the idea and feeling various things out. Of note:

- The Deathbusters of this world were about 5x as powerful each. This is meant for several things - enabling them to have a area of magical control effect, so Usagi couldn't teleport into Mugen. (The bounce was a result of what she felt there.) Also, it made it pretty much impossible for Usagi to fall into the mind set of 'go snipe/purify, automatically make things perfect'.

- Naru was simply there so Minako wasn't a factor early on. Didn't feel like adding that to the fire in the very first world. 'twas fun working with a few ideas I've had with her, and I may expand on that later.

- The leap conditions were very, very, very open ended. Simply, 'help the world in some measurable but not excelled way'. Getting some communications between the Outer Senshi, Luna and the other girls qualified. As I said, it was designed to be a test run. In the event Usagi took a mortal wound, I'd bail her out with Tux or someone. No worries there quite yet.

Rei:

Dealing with a near to canon Usagi while coping with what happened was fun enough. She had some good interactions on the second day and I had fun RPing with her. Good work, miko.

World 2 - Normality angst.

Note - This is a magic null world. Meaning, no magical abilities are usable, subspace pockets are not disrupted but cannot be accessed. Note that the hop mechanism is unaffected.

Usagi:

This world was meant to show Usagi that she can't always rely on her powers here, as well as that she can't expect to blab to everyone that she's from another world on first look and expect to back it up without proof. (Didn't come up, but still.)

She got the normal ending - the good ending would have been something like getting her parents back together or solving the money issues with a perfect job, etc. That said, she still did some good things - getting Usagi a job and a friend, getting Dad a kick in the pants, etc.

I didn't have too much fun RPing this one...too bland, too angsty, too...blah. I don't think any of us were sad to see it go.

Rei:

Had to deal with the brat Usagi. Having had some really nasty knocks in her life and no Sailor Moon, Usagi was both somewhat depressed, lonely and in a spiral or sorts. Illustrated by her almost obsessive desire for a man to take care of her, her paranoid worries that because she hasn't landed someone yet that she's gay, her tendency to sleep for long periods, she was clearly a unhappy bunny. Combined with the fact that her and Rei got off to a bad start...ew.

This one could have gone better if they hadn't clashed quite the way they did. She wasn't a terribly bad girl, just a very confused one in need of help and guidance.

Rei took the whole Professor Tomoe thing rougher than I anticipated, which also complicated matters.

World 3 - Shoujo Usagi...kun?!

Usagi -

Yeeeeeep. She hopped into a Male Usagi. Poor rabbit.

Anyway, hopping into a Sailor Moon meets harem anime world with Prince Serenity the target of affections was too good an idea to pass up. (Thanks, Eb!) Coping with the pressures of something out of one of her manga books put Usagi in a spot, not to mention how her quite vital and vigorous male body caused issues. Played purely for fun, and Usagi did a good job with most of the girls.

That does leave one question - was Naru 'the one'?

Not necessarily. While Usagi DID get the good ending, a good ending could be achieved by meaningfully choosing a girl and flushing that out. Naru was the top candidate, but any of the other ladies barring Setsuna could have gotten a good ending if things went down that path.

A normal ending would have been a hookup with less supporting it, as if Usagi had just chosen one to try to trigger a leap. Bad if she got seduced by someone, knocked'em up and got stuck that way, or started encouraging multiple marriages for the poor, besieged Prince.

Anyway, things went down the Naru path and worked out well enough. Choosing to heal Naru as well as chase after her really made the choice, as there was going to be a scene at lunch to move things away from Naru for a little while otherwise. Ditto if Usagi had blown things upstairs, but she managed it just right. Never quite managed to work 'ruru into it, either. Was going to have fun with them, Mamoru and Rei, but oh well.

Rei -

Ah, the zany shenanigans of Usagi-kun!

I won't go into too much depth here, but some points were achieved for the plot. Namely, filling in Naru about Usagi's bind, having a bit of a wind down after the last few rabbits, and making sure Demon Queen Usagi didn't appear right in front of Rei. Fun RPing all around on this end, even if it got a bit draggy near the middle. The fight and makeup at Naru's was quite fun.

Oh, and playing a likable, mercurial type of Usagi/harem target was fun.

World 4 - Lord Serenity, Queen of Hell!

Usagi -

This was Usagi's first real trial of fire, and I think she did a fairly good job at it. With the allowance that for whatever reason that either Usagi's body there retained enough evil to pass casual inspection or no one there is terribly talented at sensing auras or spirits, she managed to stay afloat.

That said, onto the endings. This one was far more complicated on Usagi's end - she had to somehow 'better' this Usagi's world, while dealing with her own feelings on it. How did she do it, and do both?

By losing the thread to that Holy Grail, that set of Senshi will never have to deal with each other, and the Hell Moon won't lose it's leadership in that terrible venture. On the flip side, the Earth forces got a small boost and break, while there will surely be some fallout on the Hell Moon from all of this.

I'm giving her the Good ending, I think. Rough circumstances.

Rei -

Well, Rei-chan got the Hell Queen to deal with. How did she do?

Pretty well on the whole. She managed to keep Lord Serenity on the defensive the entire time, reacting to her in battle instead of the other way around. Further, she managed to KO her.

The only real fly in the pie is the the mandala incident, but that's shitty dicing. Past that? Keeping her most sedated and bound was a good idea all around.

World 5 - Dub land!

Usagi -

Managed to break through the control faster than I expected. I was going to have a 'Negaverse' attack come a little down the line as well as some distractions, but Usagi aced some hard dice rolls. Go figure.

On the plus side, she stopped the takeover bid but didn't kill the person behind it.  Got the good ending, shits and giggles were had.

Rei -

Dealt well enough with the dub Usagi then the confused one. Truthfully, she was more of a caretaker than a heavy participate for this hop, but she did well enough with what she was given. 8/10

World 6 - Suicidal Usagi

Usagi -

This one could have gotten off on a few tangents, if she'd stayed in Okinawa, tried to track down a few people, or not gone to Tokyo when she did. I won't overly mince this side of it beyond noting she got the main requirements for the Good Ending - healing Makoto's legs and not getting Usagi in any more trouble.

Rei -

Well.

Hell.

Rei did a fairly competent job with what she had to cope with. Being more of the focus this hop, she got a Usagi teetering on the edge of a breakdown after years of decay. By and large, she played it well.

The only real mistake she made is the sake. It simply gave her something to lean on in desperation, and able to resist you. Yes, it made her more compliant, but it could have also gotten uglier if things didn't quite work out the way they did.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

SCORECARD:

World 1 -

Usagi, Normal ending.

Rei, scored a 7/10.

World 2 -

Usagi, Normal ending.

Rei, scored 3/10

World 3 -

Usagi, Good ending.

Rei, scored 8/10

World 4 -

Usagi, Good ending.

Rei, 8/10

World 5

Usagi, Good ending.

Rei 6/10

World 6

Usagi, Good ending

Rei 8/10

World 7

Usagi, Good ending

Rei 9/10

World 8

Usagi, Normal ending

Rei 8/10

World 9

Usagi, Good ending

Rei 8/10

Pharaoh 90's world.

Usagi - Special Ending

Rei 7/10 (Points off for dying. Damn Hatbot.)
<Afina> Forever.