* Logging #kotb to 'logs\#kotb.log'
* Prince_Herb is now known as Pretty_Party_Bunny_Herb-chan
* Pretty_Party_Bunny_Herb-chan is now known as Prince_Herb
* Prince_Herb is now known as Princess_Herb
* Rockman_Zero (Rockman_Ze@203-59-65-202.dyn.iinet.net.au) has joined #kotb
* Seriumu (Dizzy@ip64-75-150-89.dial.aloha.net) has joined #kotb
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Princess_Herb
* Iddy (iron_drago@c-67-163-114-219.hsd1.tx.comcast.net) has joined #kotb
* elisteran (chatzilla@pcp0011710027pcs.lascruces.nm.albuq.comcast.net) has joined #kotb
<Princess_Herb> Summer is still a few weeks away, and there's still a damp chill in the air when you three meet outside the brewers' guildhall in Mossport.
<Princess_Herb> Things have got so bad on the Great North Road that few people dare to send their wagonners out without a guard.
* Iddy is now known as Celanyth
* elisteran is now known as thorn
<Princess_Herb> Thorn and Celanyth are well-known to the brewers, so they were asked to take this guarding gig by the Brewmeister.
* Seriumu is now known as Hidoyou
* Rockman_Zero is now known as Mitchigan_Goodyear
<Princess_Herb> Hidoyou is an unknown quantity, but he has a big sword, and was happy to guard wagons for money.
* Mitchigan_Goodyear is now known as Rockman_Zero
<thorn> Hello, Celanyth, is it?
<Celanyth> Aye, greetings.
<Princess_Herb> There are three wagons, each with a driver, destined for the tiny town of Kendall Keep, way down the North Road.   The cargo includes wine and spirits, which are fairly valuable, but the most important supplies are hops and other materials which the locals can't produce themselves, but which are vital for beer-making.
<Princess_Herb> The chief driver is a man called Mulligan, and his two assistants are called O'Hare and Grady.
<thorn> *gestures with my thumb* What do you make of the guy with the big sword, back there?
<Celanyth> Hmm..
* Hidoyou stares impassively ahead
<Princess_Herb> You get the feeling he's not from around here
<Princess_Herb> Hidoyou is trying to be cool and collected, but he seems a bit green
<Princess_Herb> He misses a lot of minor cues
<Celanyth> Well, I suppose he'll be alright. Doesn't seem to be used to working with a group, but eh, it's always like that.
<thorn> well, let's welcome him,then
* Celanyth shrugs.
* Celanyth approachers Hidoyou.
* thorn waves friendlily to Hidoyou "Ahoy!"
<Celanyth> Greetings, friends!
<Celanyth> friend*
* Hidoyou looks over at the two
<Hidoyou> What do you want?
<Celanyth> Ale, women, money, and excitement!
<Celanyth> But for now, a warm greeting will do!
* Celanyth grins at Hidoyou.
<thorn> with the women in there, you'll get all the excitement you can handle
<thorn> pity about the money, though...
<Celanyth> Ah, true. Women, the gods last, true mystery.
<Celanyth> .. And greatest punishment to boot.
<thorn> nah, I bet ol' man mulligan will have a few punishments of his own if we don't check in
* Hidoyou looks away
<thorn> and I doubt he'll be offering us his daughters
<Celanyth> So, friend, what interests you into joining this little group?
<Princess_Herb> The waggoners are checking the harness of their oxen, getting ready to move out.
<Celanyth> Ahh, well.. Seems we're about to set off.. I most likely won't see either of you until we break for rest.
<thorn> oh, was getting a little boring over at the Hoary Dragon
<thorn> figure i'll ride along, see what's going on up the road a bit
* Celanyth bows to both of them with a smirk and turns to leave, tossing a last comment over his should.
<Celanyth> By the way, name's Celanyth.
* Celanyth heads over to the head waggoner to speak with him.
* thorn tags along.
<thorn> Oh, I'm Thorn Redberry, thought you knew
<thorn> you were in the Dragon last month for 35 minutes, when that card game went sour
<Celanyth> Ah, pleasure be to ye, Thorn.
<Princess_Herb> Mulligan is a near-toothless ox-driver, maybe around forty years of age, with a very ruddy complexion and a strong accent, made harder to fathom by his lack of teeth.
<Celanyth> Ho, Mulligan!
<Princess_Herb> "Aha, lads," he says, "We're near bound to be off, say I."
<Celanyth> Aye. Was thinking I'd run myself the usual way. Drop off the middle cart part ways out of town and shadow the caravan a few hundred yards out.
<Celanyth> Unless ye be thinkin' something diffrent?
* thorn hops aboard the wagon
<thorn> I'll just keep an eye out from here
<Princess_Herb> "Now, that sounds fair, says I," he says, "and I've travelled this road often enough."
<Celanyth> Aye, I imagine you have.
* Celanyth grins at Mulligan.
<Celanyth> I'll nestle down in the middle waggon till I take off. Do me a favor and kick up a lot of dust for the first few miles. It'll help me slip away and keep cover from anyone with thoughts of unfriendlyness.
<Princess_Herb> *Mulligan gives Celanyth a toothless grin in return
<Princess_Herb> Mulligan hops up into his wagon seat, takes a pull from the bottle under his plank seat, and cracks his whip.
<Princess_Herb> "Wagons ho!"
* thorn waves at Hidoyou. "See you when we get back!"
* Celanyth swings up into the back of the middle wagon, finding a niche to huddle down into, and tries to conceal himself.
* thorn pulls a blanket up around myself, leaning back in the seat and closing my eyes
<Celanyth> roll 1d20+8
* Musk-bot --> "Celanyth rolls 1d20+8 and gets 15."
* Hidoyou walks towards the wagons without a comment
<Princess_Herb> The lead wagon begins to roll slowly forwards
* Hidoyou sits down in the back of the rear wagon
<Princess_Herb> This section of the North Road, leading south of Mossport is safe and well-maintained
<Princess_Herb> The woods are cut back for two hundred feet from the road to prevent bandits hiding out
* thorn elbows mulligan in the side. "Hey, did you hear the one about when the elf, the dwarf, and the orc came into the bar?"
* Celanyth runs a check over his gear, making sure of his waterskins, darts, and daggers.
<Princess_Herb> Mulligan shakes his head.   "Ah, no, not I."
<Princess_Herb> A couple of hours pass and it's time for Celanyth to get out of his wagon and scout.
* Celanyth spreads his cloak out, letting it gather road dust on it, and pulls the hood up, slightly covering his eyes.
* Celanyth rolls over the side of the wagon, using the cloak to cover him and sprints into the woods.
<Princess_Herb> Celanyth is in the woods after a couple of combat rounds
* Celanyth begins orbiting the caravan roughly 75 yards into the woods, in a zig zag pattern, moving as silently as he can.
<Celanyth> roll 1d20+8
* Musk-bot --> "Celanyth rolls 1d20+8 and gets 15."
<Princess_Herb> The day passes into night without incident and the wagons laager up at nightfall around a small campfire
* thorn continues telling bad jokes
* Hidoyou sits at the edge of the fire
* Celanyth keeps back from the camp, but throws a rock at Mulligan to get his attention.
<Princess_Herb> *The waggoners drive and drink steadily all day, and prepare a rough kind of porridge for dinner
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20 for Mulligan to spot Celanyth
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20 for Mulligan to spot Celanyth and gets 17."
<Princess_Herb> Mulligan notices Celanyth and ambles over to him.   "Ah, so it's here that you are.   Settle by the fire and have some burgoo, lad."
<thorn> "bah, porridge. boring. Needs a bit of magic to spice it up"
* thorn carefully pulls out a bag of carefully hoarded raisins and puts 2 in my porridge
* Hidoyou eats the porridge quietly
<Celanyth> Nay, not yet. I'm off to run some distance scouting. I left my pack in the wagon, should any have been watching, they ought to have mistaken that for me. Drop a bowl of fare in the back of the wagon for me, would you?
<thorn> "Someday we'll all have raisins,all the exciting food we could ever want"
<Princess_Herb> O'Hare puts whisky in his porridge
<Princess_Herb> Mulligan nods and goes to get a bowlful of porridge for Celanyth
<Celanyth> Once I return from my circut, I'll steal into camp and sleep in the wagon. Give me an early morning watch. I'll be there.
<Celanyth> Have a good night, friend. And drink one for me!
* Celanyth grins and steals into the forest again.
<Celanyth> roll 1d20+8 to move silently through the woods.
* Musk-bot --> "Celanyth rolls 1d20+8 to move silently through the woods. and gets 14."
* Hidoyou draws his sword
<Princess_Herb> The woods are quiet
* Hidoyou pulls out his whetstone and sharpens it
* thorn restlessly moves away from the fire. "I'll take a walk around camp, I think"
* Celanyth runs a circut 300 yards around the camp, looking for signs of passing, and spends some time watching the road both ahead and behind the caravan.
<Princess_Herb> You find nothing out of the ordinary for managed woodlands like these
<Princess_Herb> You think that the wildlife stays further in, out of sight of the roadway
* Celanyth heads back to the camp, doubling back on his path randomly, then sneaks over to the wagon.
* thorn pulls a small kitten out of my robes, who's been hidden so far
<Princess_Herb> Kitten meows and looks hungry
* thorn feeds the kitten a raisin
* Celanyth climbs into the wagon, keeping low, and eats the cold porridge before tossing his blanket over himself and bedding down for the night.
<Princess_Herb> The kitten looks with disdain at the raisin
* thorn starts singing a low-pitched elvish lullaby, while trying to interest the kitten in food
* Celanyth stares at Thorn for a few seconds with a stoic expression before slowly laying his head down and closing his eyes for the night.
<Princess_Herb> Thorn's kitten nibbles the raisin, but he gets the feeling that it needs meat or fish to help it grow
* thorn looks over at hidoyou's stuff. "Would he have meat," I wonder.
* thorn goes walking through the woods, looking for a stream
<thorn> "here, kitty, let's fish for a while."
<Princess_Herb> Thorn comes to a small burn
* thorn sets my bedroll on the ground, whittles a quick fishing pole, and sets down to wait
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20-1
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20-1 and gets 17."
<Princess_Herb> Thorn realises he has a fishing net in his pack
<thorn> "oh yeah, heh, forgot I packed you"
* thorn glares at the kitten accusingly
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20 for the kitty
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20 for the kitty and gets 17."
<Princess_Herb> Thorn's kitten catches a fish, but the elf himself is less lucky
* thorn steals half the fish from the kitten, and takes everything back to camp
<thorn> guess it's nap-time. I settle in underneath the wagon on bedroll
* thorn wonders who's on guard right now
* Celanyth is sleeping.
* Hidoyou is still sitting by the campfire
* thorn climbs tiredly from beneath the wagon and approaches the campfire. "How's it going, hidoyou?"
* Hidoyou looks up at Thorn
<Hidoyou> What?
<thorn> uhm, you looked sort of lonely.
* Hidoyou looks back at the fire
* thorn is getting an impression hidoyou doesn't like him
* thorn lays down by the fire and goes to sleep
<Princess_Herb> ***
<Princess_Herb> Some days of this travel pass.   The further along the North Road you get, the rougher the way becomes.   By the third day of travel, the forest is clearly less well logged, and comes closer to the roadside than the legaly prescribed bowshot
<Princess_Herb> Mulligan begins to act somewhat more concerned about security, asking Celanyth what he's seen on his jaunts, and arranging guard rotas
* Celanyth continues his scouting routine, changing from mere shadowing to an occasional orbiting pattern, deciding that the breif exposure on the roads for the added patrolling area.
* thorn gets more and more bored, taking up playing solitaire on the wagon bench
* Hidoyou does little more than watch the scenery and sharpen his sword
* thorn challenges hidoyou to a high-stakes poker game
<thorn> "The grand prize jackpot: Half a fish!"
<Hidoyou> roll 1d20+4 for intimidate against Thorn
* Musk-bot --> "Hidoyou rolls 1d20+4 for intimidate against Thorn and gets 5."
<Princess_Herb> Kitten has eaten the half fish already
<thorn> this is my half of the fish!
<Princess_Herb> Your kitten looks guilty
<thorn> oops. Guess I'd better win this before Hidoyou discovers I don't have a grand prize
* Disconnected
* Attempting to rejoin channel #kotb
* Rejoined channel #kotb
<Princess_Herb> On the morning of the last day of the journey to Kendall Keep, Mulligan warns you that the road gets most dangerous.   "Once we get within sight of Kendall Keep, we're safe, mind.   The bandits are thickest along this section."
* Celanyth continues his patrolling, but has a hand near his dagger at all times.
* Hidoyou (Dizzy@ip64-75-150-89.dial.aloha.net) Quit (Ping Timeout)
* DZ is now known as Hidoyou
<thorn> roll 1d20
* Musk-bot --> "thorn rolls 1d20 and gets 14."
<Princess_Herb> Something rolls 1d20+12 to hear Celanyth
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20+12
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20+12 and gets 22."
<Celanyth> roll 1d20+10
* Musk-bot --> "Celanyth rolls 1d20+10 and gets 13."
<Rockman_Zero> Guh... Character backgrounds are such a pain.
<Rockman_Zero> ><;
<Hidoyou> wrong channel
<Celanyth> roll 1d20+6
* Musk-bot --> "Celanyth rolls 1d20+6 and gets 23."
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20+17 to avoid Celanyth's keep elfin ears
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20+17 to avoid Celanyth's keep elfin ears and gets 24."
* Disconnected
* Rejoined channel #kotb
* Rockman_Zero (Rockman_Ze@203-59-65-202.dyn.iinet.net.au) Quit (Connection reset by peer)
<Princess_Herb> Celanyth is unware that anything is going on
* Celanyth continues his route.
* thorn hops down from the normal wagon and goes back to grab my pack
<Princess_Herb> Celanyth arrives at the bank of a small river.   The water looks discoloured.
<Princess_Herb> The wagons are approaching the same waterway, somewhat further downstream
<Celanyth> Hmm...
<Celanyth> Water's muddy.. Wonder what kicked it up..
* Hidoyou (Dizzy@ip64-75-150-89.dial.aloha.net) Quit (Ping Timeout)
<Princess_Herb> As the wagons draw up close to the water, a sudden sleet storm kicks up
* Hidoyou (Dizzy@ip64-75-150-89.dial.aloha.net) has joined #kotb
* Celanyth draws further into his cloak and starts running back to the wagons, knowing the weather isn't natural.
<Princess_Herb> The wagons are surrounded by mysteriously localised weather
<Princess_Herb> Celanyth is outside of it
<Princess_Herb> It's only about 80 feet in diameter
* Hidoyou looks up at the strange weather
<Princess_Herb> It completely blots out the sun
<Princess_Herb> You can barely see your hand in front of your face as the driving sleet obscures your vision
<Hidoyou> roll 1d20+2 for seeing if it has any extraplanar significance
* Musk-bot --> "Hidoyou rolls 1d20+2 for seeing if it has any extraplanar significance and gets 8."
<Princess_Herb> The waggoners voice a few choice oaths
<Princess_Herb> Hidoyou doesn't think so...
<Hidoyou> wait, it's +4
* Hidoyou gathers his cloak about him
* Celanyth hears the pounding weather and circles back to check what's going on.
<Princess_Herb> Celanyth makes his way back through the forest and end up some little way behind the three wagons.
* Hidoyou readies his sword
<Princess_Herb> He can't see them, only the cloud of sleet that envelops them and the river crossing
* Celanyth sees the wall of sleet and knows something is wrong, and begins to rapidly run a circut around the weather looking for anything else out of place.
<Hidoyou> Do I have my armor on?
<Princess_Herb> Then, the sleet storm stops, as suddenly as it arose.
* Celanyth continues through the shadows of the woods.
* Hidoyou grips his sword with both hands and peers out of the wagon
* Celanyth heads towards a semi-large tree and attempts to hide in it's shadows.
<Princess_Herb> "Stand and deliver!", someone calls from the cover of the trees.
* Hidoyou ducks
<Celanyth> roll 1d20+5
* Musk-bot --> "Celanyth rolls 1d20+5 and gets 23."
<Hidoyou> roll 1d20+1
* Musk-bot --> "Hidoyou rolls 1d20+1 and gets 19."
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20 for the bandits
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20 for the bandits and gets 16."
<Hidoyou> Are the bandits in clear sight?
* thorn dives underneath a wagon, only to discover it's still moving
* Disconnected
* Rejoined channel #kotb
<Princess_Herb> roll 1d20 for the wagon drivers
* Musk-bot --> "Princess_Herb rolls 1d20 for the wagon drivers and gets 8."
* Disconnected
Session Close: Sun Aug 28 23:22:14 2005