News:

"If it has HP, we can kill it."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, today may suck...and yesterday may have been troublesome too.

BUT...

I got to see something.  Something that happens rarely, like a butterfly landing on your finger.

See, was driving to work yesterday.  Usual traffic and whatnot.  And there's this kinda slow moving guy in the left lane.  Being hasty, I move right.

He moves right.

I move right.

He moves right.

I give up.  Whatever, only a few blocks, I'll stay where I am.

He moves left.

Left again.

Right.

Left.

So yeah, about that time he's still only about a car length in front of me.  I'm simply happy not to be near the guy.  Then...a cop pulls him over.  How often do you see that?  Obviously traffic disrupting behavior and a cop is actually there to haul the guy over and ticket them?
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on April 06, 2016, 06:22:49 PM
So yeah, about that time he's still only about a car length in front of me.  I'm simply happy not to be near the guy.  Then...a cop pulls him over.  How often do you see that?  Obviously traffic disrupting behavior and a cop is actually there to haul the guy over and ticket them?

These are the best moments.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Landed in D.C. with no problems.

36 f'n degrees.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

Glad your flight was untroubled.
Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

I have coded a working Japanese to English dictionary.

That is a thing which has happened.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

And I only screamed "Can this be any more obnoxiously complicated!?" a handful of times.

Yuthirin

Quote from: KLSymph on April 13, 2016, 01:34:13 AM
I have coded a working Japanese to English dictionary.

That is a thing which has happened.
Is this a thing for a client or just because you could?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

KLSymph

It's for personal use, although once I'm fairly happy with it I'll offer it to Baka-Tsuki and see if other translators are interested. Or throw it on Heroku or something.

KLSymph

And here it is.

Heroku adds an entirely new layer of complication, because the platform has a hardwired 30-second limit on AJAX queries. This wouldn't be so bad, since your average manga chapter isn't too text-heavy, except that Heroku runs my processing about five times slower than on my local machine, which means I'll have to redo my asynchronous IO to not timeout on any job longer than two novel pages.

Fun fact: It is now four thirty in the morning as I'm posting this because moving my dictionary database onto Heroku took two and a half hours alone. Mostly because there were a bunch of recommended methods and none of them worked.

"...Can this be any more obnoxiously complicated!?"

KLSymph

"So, if Heroku takes about five times as long to run a job as localhost, and Heroku enforces a 30-second limit, I guess I should aim for a local job length of five or six seconds."

Quote from: Job Timer8 seconds (for manga chapter)

"Well, I'm sure I can bring that down with some work."

*spends five days redesigning system, pushing more processing to client-side and swapping Postgres for an in-memory NoSQL database*

Quote from: Job Timer19 seconds

"Ha ha ha, no that can't be right. There's a limit to how bad I am at this."

*spends another two days reading up on database denormalization and doing indexing*

"If all this this doesn't speed the app up I will lose my mind."

Quote from: Job Timer2 seconds

"Oh... okay, good. Good. How about something heavier?"

*feeds in a light novel chapter*

Quote from: Job Timer8 seconds

"Excellent. My effort has been vindicated."

*feeds in the entire 300-page light novel*

Quote from: Chrome DevToolsFailed to load resource: net::ERR_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES

Aww.

Actually, I did manage to get one successful run of the whole novel, and it only took thirty seconds. But at that point the webpage was so heavy with styled text that Chrome couldn't repaint fast enough to scroll up and down without seconds-long pauses. I guess I have more redesigning to do.

Merc

Fair warning! The following spoiler message is entirely about the new expansion so far for Hearthstone.

You may not give a fuck about it. ^_^

"Hearthstone appreciation": ShowHide
Got Ragnaros the Lightlord on my eight card pack of the new expansion. Such a fun legendary, even if it drove some 'lore' fans nuts. Actually that might make it better. ^_^

I don't know if he's unable to heal himself or just bad luck though. Keeps healing my hero and once healed another minion, but never himself. And he's gone off at least seven times when it's just him and me that are damaged so it feels unlikely that he missed himself every time. Could still be bad luck.

Given he exclaims "LIVE, INSECT!" whenever he heals, he may not want to target himself due to that. ^_^

Also, fought a C'thun deck. And goddamn, I mean a freaking C'thun deck.

Wanted to punch the other player so bad because he was playing pretty much every single c'thun support card and got it up to 34/34 and gave it taunt. Did he craft the cards or did he actually have enough gold for that?

If that thing came out, I was dead. I think I need to craft a silence minion or keeper of uldaman to deal with c'thun in the future.

Thankfully, managed to beat him before his C'thun came out. That was so satisfying since he'd gotten me down to 2 HP and Ragnaros healed me all the way back to 30 the turn before he conceded since he had no cards in hand, I had lethal, and the only thing that would save him was either some board clear or C'thun (who'd probably be a board clear). That win completed the quest that gave me 5 new card packs too, so extra satisfying. ^_^

On the blah side? From 22 card packs, I've gotten 7 tentacles of N'zoth and 3 squirming tentacles. Also a Forbidden Ritual. As expected of the tentacle expansion.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Rukatin

Four days off in a row is great. As to why I'm not worried about being paid less, Last week had me working non stop. So it evens out.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Merc

After a week with no car and staying at my parents' place, finally back home with car. Was about $700 to fix, but after the short drive at least, it feels like it runs better than it used to.

I was always complaining about a screeching noise when I lightly press the breaks, and the other places I used for regular maintenance always said that was normal or that they didn't notice anything. I didn't hear that at all driving home. Mind you, that's only been a few minutes of driving, but so far everything feels good.

Still probably time to change cars though, but I'm happy that there's at least nothing noticeably off about it.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

A monkey is no longer on my back.  Yaaaay.

Catching up with rez next week.  Should be neat :)
Well, Goodbye.