The "What Are You Playing Today" Thread

Started by Dracos, December 29, 2005, 01:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rezantis

I've been playing Hoplite on my phone.  That is a very neatly done little game, and I'd recommend having a look - it's free with the option to spend $3 for some additional content, but there's plenty of gameplay to start you off.
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Dracos

I started playing Pokemon X.

First one in like 20 years.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

I just started playing Pokemon Y a week ago! (And then put it aside for link between worlds, but I shall return to my trusty water frog minion!). We can trade! :-p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

I have a water frog minion too.
Wyld was also getting it.

I think we already are marked as friends, but I haven't seen you or anyone else show up?
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

We are actually not friends on 3ds yet (possibly on ds?) as I only just recently picked up the 3ds for the first time when the new one came out. I was pretty much the only guy that didnt pull one out in the gathering in california. Well me and Corwin. :)

Dracos

Well, post your code.

I'll post mine at home :)
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Jason_Miao

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,2212.msg1056308.html#msg1056308

*types "Kitten Game" into Google.

The best description I can think of: the object of the game is to increase numbers.

DY

Been playing a lot of Bloodborne lately. The game is pretty brutal, but extremely fun and addicting. I have it on PS4 so if anyone wants to co-op in it send me a message.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Anastasia

Star Ocean: Second Evolution.

Got a new copy of this (old copy broke) and I'm replaying it. Just got to Nede and the game's as fun to break as it always is. You can completely go nuts if you know how to do it and vanquish any illusion of difficulty, even on Universe.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

So let's see...

I've taken a break from Pokemon.  I'm at 677 of the 721 existing pokemon but just got suddenly exhausted with it all.  Not really anything left to interspace it with and the high xp options get boring after a while (especially as you can't really up the challenge that much in those spaces without risking what youre doing it for).

I picked up One Way Heroic Plus and have played it quite a bit.  I've cleared the bonus boss and wandered through dimensions on Very Hard at this point, so I suppose I've seen everything the new version has, even if I haven't managed a Tourist victory and certainly have some endings left to get.  I was a fan of the original One Way Heroics, but am not sure the expanded version is actually better.  It does have more content, improved balancing, less save/scummable crafting, new minibosses, new areas, quality of life improvements, and new characters, so quantitatively it is better.  But I'm not actually sure it is a better experience (Aside from the QoL improvements, which rock clearly), even though it certainly is more of one. 

I still find that Hero, Bard, and Force User are considerably more capable than their peers (despite bard being viewed as weak and getting a buff).  All of the shield and bow users struggle by virtue of having a mandatory fill in their accessory slot, which hurts hard versus the classes that can do whatever they want (where whatever they want usually is a 2 or 4x exp booster).  Many of the rest have a wall of negative cha making getting allies hard.  Even with the introduced xp penalty for having allies (I don't think that was there originally), having a couple of strong allies can make a world of difference (My 3k Very Hard Bard run had King and Duke early and that just cascaded into an unstoppable force fairly soon).  Force User technically is also someone that can compete, but is generally sitting between Swordsmaster and Force User, so...options I guess?  I've beaten the game at this point on at least normal with everything but tourist and ninja.

Getting stronger gear going is much more of a struggle and really finally only happened for me on my last three runs, despite starting with a full vault of stuffs.  High end scrolls are painfully rare until even late very hard mode, and even just building quality and sturdy up so valuable 'takes an entire playthrough to get' weapons don't disintegrate is difficult on the lower difficulties.  The higher difficulties are more of a challenge to get started without them now due to the random early miniboss, which acts as a pretty high 'you better have gear or spells, since you don't have levels yet'.  I'm sure there are tricks (like spawning the group into a mountain which happened once) but in general, getting going on hard and very hard wants for some things that likely show up on doing long runs.  Actually, doing long runs is pretty critical to getting equipment that can handle long runs well.

Started up Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.  Not sure what to think yet, but they've definitely made their beginnings more accessible going from 1 to 2 to 3.  Shantae comes off more Ditzy ("Oops, those two just died") in kind of a disturbing way, but clearly lives in a world where common sense isn't there (Mayor can sell whole town, New Town Owner can Shell the Town (and sees any reason to do so given they are his citizens now?), the government seeing nothing wrong with driving a tank through town).
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

I beat ZigClimb, a minimalist Roguelike which had source code sized <1K.

This is not exactly the most feature-filled gameplay extravaganza ever, but is academically interesting in seeing what can be done with minimal resource requirements.  If you like classic roguelikes in general, it's worth a look.

Since part of roguelikes trying to figure out the underlying mechanics, I'll throw this into two levels of spoilers.  The first is the tip on the webpage, and the second is what various things mean.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Monsters a, b, c...refer to power levels, where a is the weakest, and they grow stronger as the letters increment.
To kill a monster, one needs to have a weapon that is not less than four levels of the monster.
[spoiler]
H - HP
L - Level.  Objective is to read L:10
WA: Weapon/Armor rating.
* gold collected (has no purpose other than points)

map symbols:
( new weapon - may be worse than old weapon
% new armor - may be worse than old armor
! restore HP to 10.
* gold

mechanics:
lower level monsters can kill higher level monsters.
uncollected items
monster AI will not close a 1-space gap no matter how long you wait (and thus expose itself to first strike).  If you're trying to hunt monsters, moving towards the monster when it's two spaces away is necessary

[/spoiler]

The same author has what seems to be Princess Maker: the Roguelike elsewhere on his site, and I plan to try that in the near future.

Iron Dragoon

I have restarted playing EVE Online.

Woe is me, and I shall gift all I meet with hatred and discontent.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Merc