News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

The "What Are You Playing Today" Thread

Started by Dracos, December 29, 2005, 01:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

So I got Dragon Quest 11. I'm barely into it, just into the first field section past the starting town (Cobblestone, I think). Comments thus far:

- I'm playing it on medium graphics because for some reason, my computer goes nuts running it on high. I have the specs to run it but for whatever reason it's having problems. It's still fine so whatever. It's not worth fighting with.

- The game goes all in with impressive vistas from the get go. Graphics continue to improve and it feels like love was put into the design of everything so far. At the same time, going for impressive natural vistas (especially mountains) always makes me think of Dark Souls. As someone who is not a fan of that series, this isn't a good thing. Still, I did like the caves for the introductory dungeon quite a lot.

- The field camera is terrible without inverting the vertical controls. Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine why it's programmed like that rather than having inverted be the default. Like if I were stuck with that, I'd have dropped the game already. It pissed me off that much.

- I'm not so big on all the enemies being visible now, nor on the pre-emptive attack mechanic. I suppose it's not bad, but I also feel it adds complexity for minimal payout. I'd rather have old school random encounters. Likewise, the horse seems designed for easy travel from the get go. This definitely feels like it falls in the category of making the game too easy for those who want to breeze through.

- The battles are piss easy so far, but it's early game so that's not unexpected. I did read up on the Draconian Quest conditions. I didn't choose any of them, but I did see a few comments related to them that the base game's pretty easy. I'd believe it, I feel like the design philosophy doesn't want to exclude people at all so far. This is usually a bad thing in game design in my opinion. Be what you are, not what will make everyone able to limp through. I'm not saying you have to go all Dark Souls (and see above for my low opinion of Dark Souls), but be proud to be what you are. Don't cater if some people can't handle that. As of now, this game feels extremely cater-y to me.

- Something about the typical DQ humor isn't doing it for me. I'm in the mood for something a little more serious.

That being said I'm still enjoying it quite a lot, this is mostly nitpicking.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Crosscode new game plus.  Mute Lea is so sad.

Also so powerful.

Devil trigger.
Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

I went on the Starcraft 2 ladder for the first time in a year and a half, and my first ranked opponent told me I'm very bad at the game. This gave me something to think about while my army continued rolling over him.

Replay is attached. Highlight at 1:25 - allcaps chat message demanding to know my race, while opponent's camera is on my Probe scouting his main.

Anastasia

Dragon Quest 11

I've made it to the end of the Manglegrove (at least the first trip, in case there's more trips later. I did notice some stronger enemies somewhere I couldn't get to yet). It's a good game and I'm enjoying it, yet at the same time it's been hard to play and get into. I don't know why. I feel like I want something more serious than Dragon Quest's particular style, something about the light heartedness and puns isn't doing it for me. I hope it's not a case of wrong game at the wrong time syndrome.

I feel like I need something with more narrative seriousness and meat to it. I'm not saying DQ11 doesn't have meat, but...meh. Maybe it's the silent protagonist, this one feels like he doesn't work as well as DQ8's.

Edit: Honestly, all I can think of to play is Tales of the Abyss. Something that's both serious and has a deft touch with some lighter hearted bits. It's also a well put together plot that has a lot of fun details you can appreciate on a replay. I dunno.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Nothing wrong with enjoying a replay.

I also feel that 11 has too many tugs on the protagonist that make the silence stand out more.  There's more people directly calling him out for reaction and they try and tell too much with body language because of the silence choice.  8 worked better.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Red_Baron_The_1986

One of the first computer games I ever remember playing.  To a modern gamer, there's not much to recommend it except for nostalgia.  If that doesn't dissuade you, here's some keys (I've found no instructions anywhere - its hard to find any website that even discusses the game.)

z x: throttle
, /: Pitch
.: Roll
b: Bomb
[space]: Gun
S: Sound

I vaguely remember that it was possible to land and rearm/refuel.

Jason_Miao

StarEGATrek

https://archive.org/details/msdos_EGATrek_1992

A visual adaptation to an older game that was designed to be played when computers used printers for output, EGATrek ask that you take the USS EnterpriseLexington, explore strange new world, seek out new life, and new civilizations.  And kill them.  You see, you're at war with the KlingonMongol Empire, and you've got to defend your space stations.  So keep your eyes peeled, and your photonenergy torpedos well-stocked

This game is as hard as I remembered it (first 3 levels are easy, 4th is interesting, 5th is pretty challenging), as fun as I remembered it (surprisingly fun).  And the fact that the game swaps the x axis and y axis is as annoying as I remembered it.

Dracos

Wow, nostalgic.

Been flitting around, but played some Saga Frontier with Vysaika yesterday.  Was fun.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Dragon Quest 11

I just recruited Sylvando. My opinion of the game has risen slightly, but at the same time, I'm finding it harder to play. I don't know why really, other than a sense this isn't the right game at the right time, or maybe it's a game that's well made but doesn't have 'it'.
<Afina> Forever.

Kaldrak

Played me some Kathy Rain while I was sleep deprived on my flight. It's a pretty decent retro style point and click adventure game with good voice acting. No real difficult puzzles to speak of either, right until it hit me with a number type one my brain was incapable of handling. Doesn't seem like a long game, but I haven't gotten back to it yet. Will play more later.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Jason_Miao

Ah ha.  Found the game I was looking for (which is why I was going though a bunch of old DOS games - I was trying to remember the name of this game)

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Buzzard_Bait_1983

Anastasia

Dragon Quest 11

I'm just about to head to Octagonia for the first time. I've finally found my groove, and while I have a lot of quibbles and critiques about the game, I'm having fun now. I feel like the game could have been so much more, but it's still a fine enough game so far.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on October 28, 2019, 10:12:32 PM
Dragon Quest 11

I just recruited Sylvando. My opinion of the game has risen slightly, but at the same time, I'm finding it harder to play. I don't know why really, other than a sense this isn't the right game at the right time, or maybe it's a game that's well made but doesn't have 'it'.

Happens sometimes.  For me the hero just never really clicked.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Played some more Slay the Spire, Earth Defense Force 5, and even Sentinels lately.  Mostly boardgaming...

Today I'm doing old Tales of Maj'eyal.  Trying out their cthulhian horror addon.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on November 12, 2019, 03:13:48 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on October 28, 2019, 10:12:32 PM
Dragon Quest 11

Happens sometimes.  For me the hero just never really clicked.

That's a big part of it. This is not a game that works for a silent hero and not a game that supports one well, either.
<Afina> Forever.