THE LONG AWAITED MAGIC SYSTEM!

Started by Bean Bandit, December 29, 2005, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bean Bandit

Here you go, you all! Finally! Thank May, or this would have taken twice as long!

Sheet Stuffs:

System: Tristat DX.

Characters: 75 CP template; (20 Skill points?)

Stat points:(Body/Mind/soul) 18

ATTRIBUTES:
Contamination, Duplicate, Elasticity, Extra Arms, Extra Attacks, Grow, Henchmen, Hyperflight, Mass Increase, Reincarnation, and Shrink are all forbidden.

No supermen. With one proviso. If, Aside from Magic, You wish a power, similar to Shirou's Reality Marble, clear it with me, and we'll work it out under the 'Dynamic Powers' attribute.
---
New attribute: Form Affinity - Time, Space, Spirit, Animal, Human body, human mind, Water, Air (Storm), Plant, Fire, Images, Earth, Mana (Raw). Characters with this attribute automatically score a +2 modifier on totals involving spells under the influence of the sphere (Singular) of their choice. Cost 4 CP.
---
SKILLS: 20 for now. Should this prove inadequate, we'll poll for a revised Skill total. Specfically (Skill Points =Mindx10)

Spell lists are up to you, and I'll be allowing a reasonably free hand, with various exceptions (OMG I BLOW UP TEH WORL') Bear in mind, You'll need versatility. An arsenal full of heavy artillery will do you no good when someone who can summon shadow ninjas drops them into your bedroom.

Something of note: Spells are made of your total skill points, and devised by you. However, to build a spell, you are required to combine two elements. Verbs (Techniques) and Nouns (Forms) The method of combination will determine the cost. This does, however allow a certain amount of freedom of combination.    

Techniques (Verbs) - Create, Percieve, Transform, Destroy, Control/Manipulate.
Forms (Nouns) - Time, Space, Spirit, Animal, Human body, human mind, Water, Air (Storm), Plant, Fire, Images, Earth, Mana (Raw).

every 5 feet of range = 1 EP until 30 feet, the price doubles every 30 feet; ever 5 Damage = 5 EP up until 15 damage, when additional increments of 5 damage cost 10. This is a basic guideline to help you and the GM determine cost. Relevant aspects of spells are: Affects, Duration, Range, EP Cost.

And for every 5 ep a spell costs, rounded up, it costs 1 skill points, up until it costs 5 SP, then every 5ep costs 2 skill points.

These are the costs of Techniques and Forms from your Cp

Verbs:
Create - 3cp
Percieve - 2cp
Transform - 2cp
Destroy - 3cp
Control/Manipulate - 3cp

Nouns:
Time 3CP
Space 3CP
Spirit 4CP
Animal 2CP
Human body 3CP
Human Mind 3CP
Water 1CP
Air(Storm)2CP
Plant 2CP
Fire 1CP
Illusions 2CP
Earth(Matter)2CP
Mana(Raw)8CP

The above is for the construction of Spell knowledge. Also, spontanous spells, of lesser power are allowed, and the rules for them are as follows.

Roll under 5 + lowest of the two art scores involved

This is a rather difficult Manipulate Fire spell
They have a Manipulate of 2, Fire of 3. They have to roll under 7 (5+2), with a +1 or +2 modifier for simple difficulty.

The idea here is primarily for affect and acts of convenience. Say...stirring your tea with a Manipulate Rego spell would cost a couple of EP and requre an easy roll. Creating particular and especially violent effects is far more difficult. So a gout of flame that actually does, say...5 damage, would have a +2 to their attempt to roll under their normal Create Fire total.
The rule of thumb is: GM gives you an arbitrary EP cost for anything that doesn't really do anything, A cost with a roof of 5. For spells with an affect, the EP cost is twice that of a normal spell for the effects of the spell. So that gout of fire spell above mentioned would cost 6 ep as a normal spell (5 feet of range, 5 damage), but as a spontaneous effort costs 12.

Talismans: Talismans are magic items, either with affects of their own, or simply used to store mana. For simple mana storage devices, you can instill your Create/Mana spell score in such a device per day of work. For devices with other affects, you instill EP at the above rate, but the amount for a spell can not exceed the appropriate Art Score to the spell.

Art Sum: The relevant technique added to the relevant form.

Art Score:  Art Sum + Soul; this is the amount of EP that can be expended in a round, you must reach the spell's EP cost to cast the spell.  In this manner, some spells may take more than one round to cast.

Spells Score: The average of (Noun/Verb/Mind)x5 is the maximum EP a spell for a given noun/verb combo may cost. This is for normal spells, many full scale rituals (such as servant summoning) may be different.
------
Non combat spells :  
Creo Corpus (Create Human body): Healing a Wound / With Create 5 and H.Body 3, the target Must roll under 8. Depending on the size of the wound, at modifier may be attached.

EP cost for this spell is equal to the combined total of levels. (8)

Roll to determine degree of success. 2 EP for 1 Hp (4 HP Restored, failed roll), 1 for 1 (8 HP restored, pass by 2 or less), and 1 for 1.5 (12 HP restored, pass by 3 or more)

Total cost for this, being a relatively minor healing spell, is 8 EP.

Being As that's a small healing spell, It lacks the Area and duration costs, so I'll give a further example.

A small storm is a 'Create/Air' spell. Let's say 3 Levels of Create, 4 levels of Air(Storm) A modifier of +1 or +2 may be attached for difficulty, but we'll assume our PC Chose calm conditions, and will have little trouble casting.

Duration: Permanent - 18EP; Lasting a long time - 9EP; Lasting a fair time - 6EP; Lasting a short time - 3EP; Instant - 1EP

Area= Base cost of three +1 for every meter beyond the first in diameter the spell is cast.

Thus, a small storm cloud made to water the garden, for a little under one hour, would cost 3EP for duration, and 3+2EP for range, resulting it a total of 8 EP.

The same spell, intended, for example, to fill and or overflow a pool, would cost 9EP for Duration, and 3+21EP for range  for a total of 33 EP.  

Depending on the severity of effect, the GM will impose a cost modifier, on case by case basis.

Since the general cost is low, the skill points involved in the construction of spells will be on a case by case basis...in other words, If you built both spells above, a seperate set of skill points would go into the Pool spell, than the one made for watering the garden.
---
I love the games I've played here.

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Carthrat

[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Bean Bandit

The general concensus seems to be that this is a good idea...so, done.

Skill Points = Mind X10.

Post more questions if you need me to see 'em.
---

Bean Bandit

Edited - Small addition to the sheet above, for non-combat spell construction.
---