News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

A Move to Bartering

Started by Dracos, July 06, 2006, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

[16:08] <@Dracos> mmm
[16:08] <@Dracos> I'm thinking of making a thread on bartering
[16:08] <@Dracos> Specifically that it may be in our best interest to stop transmuting 'magic item to gold' when possible
[16:09] <@Dracos> Since both magic items tend to be less massive/weighty than the equal amount of gold
[16:09] <@Dracos> and that there's an active trade market in the worldset
[16:09] <@Dracos> and since folks are constantly focusing on a barter setup rather than a pay cash setup, it might be a good idea.

-----------

Okay, suggestion to party: Let's stop selling the magic stuff we get.  And take down the mace from the selling market.

Two main reasons:
A)We're regularly seeing magic markets preferring a barter system.  Clearly we'll be in no worse a position if we have items to barter than if we have gold since anywhere which would have enough of a marketplace to demand lots of gold is likely to have places we can convert items to gold just as easily as we can here and we're generally not hurting for the money at the moment.

B)In terms of weight/carrying, I'm pretty sure we're going to find it's actually easier to cart around a mace worth 2000-3000 than 3000 pieces of gold.  It'll be even more excessive with the higher cost stuff.  This way we'll have less worry with how we're storing the stuff in the cart.

...C)random thought, I have to admit, it'd probably be much more effective at making thieves afraid to approach.  Sure, there's weapons avaliable, but wouldn't you rather try and rob a cart full of gold than one full of weapons?

in fact, in this same sense?  Can we see if we can go trade our mace + some gold to the guy with the mace of disruption?  I can't help but think we'd be better off with a mace of undead slaying which any of our fighters can use with a -2 versus a mace of DAMAGE which any of our fighters are having to overcome a -5.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

That's a reasonable though. I won't get into this since it appears to be apurely inter PC matter, however. Thoughts, everyone?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Carthrat

I actually like having more gold than not, simply because it's easier for me to turn gold into scrolls than magic weapons into scrolls. But as far as portability goes, it could also come up.

Hmm. Let's sell most of them, but keep a couple of the more exciting ones around for bartering. The mace might be good for that if we find the right sort of person.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

Well, my latter question was more there's a guy there with a mace of disruption as it stands and it'd be good if we could barter that away from him for the undead killing and really, it's more tradable I think than what we've got.

I'm not really suggesting going low gold, but I figure if we got 10k in the bank, we can hold off and sell when we drop below as need.  Does that sound reasonable?

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

I dunno. If we get offered an awesome price for something, I'm going to take it. What constitutes an 'awesome price' is hard to justify.

Something like this mace- on the one hand, we could barter it to someone for 'something'. On the other hand, if that someone intends to give us a huge pile of gold, we should take it, because there's no guarantee that we'll get a better deal.

Personally, I don't think we need a system to work this out, or anything- we'll just handle it as items come up.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

I'm not saying a system.  I'm saying us encouraging bartering more and holding onto items instead of just dropping them.

Awesome prices are agreed.  Not encouraging being stupid, just saying it may well be in our interest to carry less gold and more items around rather than strictly convert items to gold like we did end of the dragon thing.  To wait for that awesome price/deal to show up.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.