News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Rules.

Started by Anastasia, September 12, 2003, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

This is the rules thread, for modifications to the standing rules of the game.

1. Any natural roll of 2 for a check is a success regardless of modifiers, and any natural roll of a 12 is a failure. This is to keep an element of chance in things, and to prevent tanked out characters from being 'immune' to bad luck.

Oh, and to give those poor youma a chance to dodge the fifth Senshi attack of the round. ^_^

2. Targetting multiple enemies with the same attack causes splits the damage up among the victims. The damage is reduced by 25% for each target past the first.  Only targets that take damage apply, an attack aimed at 5 that hit only 1 will do full damage to the one.

For example, a sixty damage attack -

1 youma 60 damage
2 youma 45 damage
3 youma 34 damage
4 youma 25 damage
5 youma 19 damage

This is in place to keep multiple attacks in check, and to prevent possible abuse.

3. I've been reasonably nice about this, probably too much so. I'm going to tighten the ship up - no more dropping abilities unless approved on a case by case basis by the GM. If you learn something or take a trait, you're going to have to live with it.

Some defects can still be bought out of as plot events dictate, or fade away. Rei's DK taint is a perfect example of this.

4. Divine Relationship rerolls do no replenish if the game is paused mid scene. Essentially, this is to prevent freebies because we have to pause in battle or other stressful situations.

5. ACV and DCV are capped at 10 and 8, respectively.

6. After throwing some tests around with the new DCV cap, the Senshi penalties are going to be toned down now. My idea is to halve them, so that it looks like this:

Level one and two Senshi attacks: +1 modification to the DCV roll
Level three and four Senshi attacks: +2 modification to the DCV roll
Level five and six Senshi attacks: +3 modification to the DCV roll

7. In the event of a non damaging attack criticalling, the duration, DCV check or whatnot may be enhanced.

8. Extra Attacks is banned for PCs. It may not be taken, period.

Note that certain baddies may have it, however, at the GM's discretion.

9. Critical hits ARE allowed a DCV roll, despite what the source book says. This is due to the powerful nature of said occurances and for game balance.

10. The level six ability of Supernatural Training is disabled - In other words, the 'cannot be directly damaged by supernatural forces' clause is kaput. It would be a good measure of invincibility in this game used in that context. It dies.

On a side note, it's reasonable to come up with a alternate level 6 ability should you possess those skills. Rei did. (Subject to GM approval, of course.)

More rule modifications will be placed in this thread. Comments, ramblings and death threats are welcome to be posted here.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

The next order of business is a new rule about abilities:

I'm going to tighten the ship up - no more dropping abilities unless approved on a case by case basis by the GM. If you learn something or take a trait, you're going to have to live with it.[/size]

Some defects can still be bought out of plot events dictate, or fade away. Rei's DK taint is a perfect example of this.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

ANNOUCEMENT:

Having spent most of my work day tossing it around, the ACV/DCV cap is the most obvious and supported option, so it's in effect as of now. The cap is 10/8, with the option of 'spill over' points being used each round to reduce penalties to your rolls.

Example 1 - Kunzite lashes out with his energy blades at Ami! However, Ami has a special Ice Shield up, which not only gives her a DCV bonus but inflicts a +2 penalty to Kunzite's ACV check.

However, Kunzite's true, pre capped ACV is 12. Therefore, he has two points to use on his offense to reduce modifications. Using them, he now has an unmodified check -

* Kunzite rolls 2d6 - 6 4 - 10.

Good call, Kunzite.

Example 2 - Later in the round, Sailor Dragon sends off a powerful level 3 Senshi attack at Kunzite!  Kunzite's pre capped DCV is 10, so he has an effective DCV of 8 with 2 points to fight modifiers. He can expend the points to reduce the +3 the Senshi attack assigns to his DCV roll to a mere +1. However, to reinterate: these points may not be used more than one a round(DCV and ACV points are seperate, however.)

Example 3 - Kunzite narrowly dodged the vicious attack by Sailor Dragon! But, Sailor Moon is now Hallating his ass! Not only does this pour on the +4 modification of the attack and the +2 due to it being his second defense of the round, but he has no points left to soften the penalties with.

One last note on this - In certain rare situations, you may not be able to use the points should the circumstances dictate so. This is unlikely, but possible.

I feel this allows some improvement, yet does not allow the characters to be overpowered beyond belief.

If this isn't clear, ask for clarification.

EDIT - This applies across the board to both villians and PCs. Just clearing that up.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Yeah.

After throwing some tests around with the new DCV cap, the Senshi penalties are going to be toned down now. My idea is to halve them, so that it looks like this:

Level one and two Senshi attacks: +1 modification to the DCV roll
Level three and four Senshi attacks: +2 modification to the DCV roll
Level five and six Senshi attacks: +3 modification to the DCV roll

Other attacks that have direct modifications will also be addressed on both the Senshi and Villain side of the ball, but this is the most relevant to all concerned. The floor is open to comments on this matter, although the rule does take effect immediately. If you feel this is some great crime against gaming, this is the time to speak up.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Re: Non damaging attacks that require a to hit roll.

In the event of a non damaging attack that requires a to hit roll criticalling, the GM may add extra modifiers to the dodge roll, increase the duration of effect for the ability, or otherwise enhance the attack.

A theoretical example with a move that would bind one target in webbing, from yesterday's session.

Spideru rolls to wrap up Sailor Moon in webbing! Not only does she succeed, but she get a 2. The GM decides that this will modify the DCV check of Sailor Moon and quickly dreams up a table for the d6 severity roll.

1-3 - +2
4-5 - +4
6 - No DCV check allowed, automatic success.

You get the idea. Anyway, this isn't a major issue for you girls, but it's something I'd like to clarify should the youma of the week get lucky.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is a rule from the original character creation thread, and is being imported here as we have a new character joining up.

Extra attacks is banned for PCs. It's far too powerful and abuseable. Note that it can and will show up on occasion for villians, however.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Critical hits and dodging.

If you read the passage carefully about critical hits, you will note that they negate the chance for a defense roll. However, due to the extremely powerful nature of critical hits in this game, I nixed that part of the rule. Otherwise, one lucky role by a monster of the day could easily kill a Sailor without them having a chance to do anything. Vice versa of the big baddie of the arc gets sniped at.

This has been in practice for the entire game, but I never added to the thread. Problem fixed.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The level six ability of Supernatural Training is disabled - In other words, the 'cannot be directly damaged by supernatural forces' clause is kaput. It would be a good measure of invincibility in this game used in that context. It's too broad, and can be logically applied to all the youma/cardians/daimons or whatever the girls battle. So, it's a big hell no to that.

On a side note, it's reasonable to come up with a alternate level 6 ability should you possess those skills. Rei did. (Subject to GM approval, of course.)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

New rule.

For every successful rejuv past the first one, a modifier of +2 is added. For example -

Rejuv 1 - No mod.
Rejuv 2 - +2
Rejuv 3   +4

And so on. This is to tone down Rejuvenation a bit. This applies to every game day, roughly. It won't if, say, you rejuv once in the early morning and take a long nap and want to rejuv later in the evening.

Common sense usage, pretty much. I'll give you a heads up as needed, I don't want to get overly bogged in exacting details.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

And another sticky topic that has served it's purpose. Desticking.
<Afina> Forever.