To Reveal Deception...

Started by Carthrat, November 20, 2003, 01:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

"So how good are you at keeping quiet and sneaking around again?" asks Toshi.

He and Hikaru have retreated to a small planning room within the castle. A map is in front of them, with not much but the location of the Matsu force and their likely path through the forest top the Capital..
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Halbarad

Hikaru sighs. "No better than average, I'm afraid. Fuu has tried to show me how to improve a few times, but I could never really get the hang of it."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

Toshi shrugs. "No matter. We'll be leaving when it gets dark, because they're only humans.. well, except for these demonelves Okina told me about. Hopefully we won't run into any of them.. except, of course, the ones we're going after, eh?

We'll intercept the army here," he says, stabbing at a point on the map with his finger. "From there, we can observe their movements for a time, at least, and then work out how to approach. I trust you have some suitable spells ready?"

Halbarad

Hikaru nods. "I was expecting to assist Fuu and Umi with the rescue originally, so what I have prepared at the moment is mostly geared towards creating a distraction. If nothing else it should help us escape the Matsu camp unharmed."

She thinks for a moment. "I suppose I should prepare at least one more Detect Magic spell, since we don't know how many of these fey'ri will be in the Matsu camp."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

"I was hoping to escape unharmed because they let us out," replies Toshi, dryly. "You realise that we cannot kill any Matsu soldiers while inside the camp if we are to maintain credibility? This is going to be difficult."

Halbarad

"I know. And I'm hoping that we can get in and out safely as well; I'm just planning for the event that we don't. I just wish my magic was more suited to this kind of thing."

Hikaru thinks for a moment. "I know it seems simple, but what about simply approaching under a flag of truce? Of course, we should still scout the enemy's position first, but that would certainly be the easiest way to speak with Otoshi in any case."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

"Possibly," replies Toshi. "But I've no doubt these Fey'Ri have filled him in on the various dirty tricks we elves use to infiltrate enemy camps. He may just kill us on sight."

Halbarad

Hikaru sighs. "What's to keep him from doing that even if we sneak in? Unless I can somehow cast the spell on one of the geisha near him without him even noticing me, there's no reason for him to stop to listen to us at all. And that's assuming we can even get close enough to use the scroll."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

Toshi shrugs. "I doubt he'll let you just cast a spell in the middle of his camp, mind. Assuming he dosn't kill you on sight, you'll be searched for weapons, magic, whatever."

Halbarad

Hikaru rubs her temples. "There's just too much we don't know yet. I suppose the best thing to do at this point is head for the Matsu's position and get an idea of what they're doing before we decide how to handle things."

"Unless there's anything else we should take care of before we leave the capital?"
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

"An army would be nice," replies Toshi. "But no, we must work with what we have.. we'd best be off, then.."

Carthrat

About half a day later, Toshi and Hikaru come across the edge of the Matsu camp...

Once again, they've burnt away large stretches of forest and created a large clearing, in which they've build their camp. Discipline seems lax; there are not as many guards patrolling the outskirts of the camp as there were before, and a complete abcense of wand-wielding shugenja..

Halbarad

"It looks like they're getting careless, Master Toshi. Perhaps we might have a chance at getting in unseen after all." Hikaru surveys the camp carefully, watching for the patterns of any guard patrols that might still be in evidence. "I just hope their 'geisha' are still with them."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

Toshi nods, also analysing the guard patrols..

"It would be so simple if slaying them was a viable option- see, their patrol is simple; that guard there, he's alone. If we could bring him down and then remove the evidence, nobody would notice for some time... but apart from that, they always seem to be covering all exits," he says, producing some shuriken and eyeing them, then the lone guard..

Halbarad

"Perhaps we can't kill any of their soldiers, but what about incapacitating them? I suppose we could try to knock that guard out, but we'd have to do it swiftly - I imagine he'd raise the alarm if he ever saw either one of us."

Hikaru looks around to make sure there are no other guards nearby. "Do you think you could knock him out with the hilt of your sword, Master Toshi? I'd try it myself, but I don't think I could knock him out with one hit."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.