News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Rejected plot ideas

Started by Anastasia, May 20, 2004, 08:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Just a space to put my rejected ideas and thoughts, to be discussed, laughed at or lynched for.

Rejected plot idea 1 - Killing off Ikkuko instead of merely injuring her.

This was my first notion, frankly. Rejected very quickly, as it was too dark. You can guess the difference between a hurt Usagi and a honestly broken and perhaps suicidal one, girls. In her state, that would have been a completely shattering blow, not merely a cracking one that could be refilled with inner steel.

Rejected plot idea 2 - Metallia already had a body lined up for her eventual return besides just piggybacking on Beryl. Queen Serenity's, to be precise.

This one went into the wood chipper simply because it would cause too many headaches. IT would make Usagi's battle versus Metallia even harder, and would complicate the defeated Serenity story angle. Also, it could cause feedback against Usagi by association, especially Rei after what she went through.

Rejected plot idea 3 -  Kunzite survived the Second Battle of the Hikawa Shrine.

I toyed with this one for a good while - I left his end vague for a reason, in case I needed the firepower. It was rejected for several reasons, mainly that it turned out I was good on the villain front after all. Besides, with the setup I used for the Moon Dark Kingdom, I was able to use Kunzite again, in a way. Poor Rei-chan.

Rejected plot idea 4 - The Dark Kingdom was really just a pit of youma on the Moon.

Basically the one thing the Mau feared, it would be a nonstop war of attrition until Beryl's throne room. The reasons why it got fed to the Usagivile are easy - far too blunt and lacking coolness, making the trip the DK nothing but a suicidal battle based on dice luck. Pfft.

Rejected plot idea 5 - Giving Evil Rei a strong mandate to capture the other Senshi instead of harming them, so that Metallia can have her way with the complete set, ala fanfic Haruka.

Simply discarded overnight. Wasn't worth making that big a deal about it, and it could have gotten even sticker with another turncoat/borderline unwinnable.

Rejected plot idea 6 - Serenity surviving past the end of the Dark Kingdom.

This one I thought about until the scene itself went down, not deciding until then. The idea did interest me - tons of room for character growth, a firm link to Usagi's past and the thought of saving her would give them a concrete proof that they truly did do something good by stopping Metallia.

So, why did I reject it at the last minute? I went mainly with my gut here - while it's an interesting idea, it raises too many problems for my taste. Really, once she gets used to life on Earth a bit...what do I do with her? There is room to work with, but my instinct wast that the NPC wouldn't add enough to things to be worth keeping, and perhaps be a unneeded complication. Also, really. She'd be an open book of info for the PCs about the past - it would have cheapened the MK project and a lot of Serenity's later work.

A pity, perhaps.

I'll post more later from the Space Criminal arc after commenting is done on these.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Quote from: "dunefar"

Yeah... considering we meant to RP that whole scene out, and just had it happen offscreen because of a timezone fuckup... offing Ikkuko arbitrarily over something a PC (myself) could have stopped... that would suck. And make Rei look REALLY bad.

Rejected plot idea 2 - Metallia already had a body lined up for her eventual return besides just piggybacking on Beryl. Queen Serenity's, to be precise.

Like you said, the feedback against Usagi here would have been pretty nasty. I doubt Rei would even be able to be in the same room as her after her own experiences. And losing Serenity as an NPC isn't that great a benefit.

Rejected plot idea 3 -  Kunzite survived the Second Battle of the Hikawa Shrine.

You kept us guessing on that one for a while, especially with Kunzite showing up at the Moon, after a fashion. Truthfully, I still don't get what happened there with him...

Rejected plot idea 4 - The Dark Kingdom was really just a pit of youma on the Moon.

I did go in expecting that, actually. With the combat system and how quickly we burn EP... that would be a real meat grinder, and not very dramatic.

Rejected plot idea 5 - Giving Evil Rei a strong mandate to capture the other Senshi instead of harming them, so that Metallia can have her way with the complete set, ala fanfic Haruka.

That's omake fodder if ever there was omake fodder. Turning Rei was bad enough, but turning the rest... It'd be damn hard to recover, I think. Especially if the evil senshi actually gave it a proper fight, unlike Rei's lacklustre performance.

Could have been interesting, but... she really would be a free source of WAY too much information. And would have badly undermined Usagi's effort to rebuild the kingdom by her mere presence. While she lives, Usagi's still just the Princess, after all.

Anastasia

Quotedunefar wrote:

Rejected plot idea 3 - Kunzite survived the Second Battle of the Hikawa Shrine.

You kept us guessing on that one for a while, especially with Kunzite showing up at the Moon, after a fashion. Truthfully, I still don't get what happened there with him..

It was Metallia's power mindfucking you girls, honestly. While I don't think I ever outright said as much OOC, I thought it wasn't THAT hard a guess. *shrugs* Most of that there was just smoke and mirrors, the great Moon Battle was a battle of the mind and spirit.
<Afina> Forever.

Halbarad

That would have sucked. Badly. You're right, I don't think Usagi would have been recoverable at that point - she'd have been shell-shocked beyond belief. Severe injury was bad enough.

VERY NO. Usagi was already pretty unstable throughout most of the first arc, thanks to her mother, her doubts about her own abilities, and the nightmare that was Mamoru's trips across the good guy/bad guy line. That would probably have sent her into a gibbering fit.

I did wonder about that. Didn't really think it would make THAT huge of an impact either way it went - he'd be another hurdle to get over later, that's all.

I agree with you and Rei. It wouldn't have been much more than a deathtrap if that's what it was - not a very interesting finish for the senshi, in all honesty.

Ehh... too much potential to screw over the game there. Get more than one evil senshi and it's too likely that they'll kill or defeat the others.

Rei really summed this one up. Too many problems with a living Serenity, everything from the Moon Kingdom being screwed up to the amount of knowledge about the past she'd have. Having her around during the Criminal arc would really have dumped everything in our laps from the get go.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Ebiris

Another problem I can see with keeping Queen Serenity around is her effect on the rest of Usagi's family. Ikkuko and the rest had enough trouble with Sailor Moon/Princess Serenity. Having Usagi bring home a 'new' mother... that would have stung quite a bit, I think.

Also, with the way the Endy back story seemed to be laid out from the few pieces I gathered OOC, she would likely have pushed Usagi pretty hard to getting back together with him.

Anastasia

Yeah, the former is another valid concern. Queen Serenity might be able to smooth things out once she dealt with a degree of culture and life shock, but it would have made things even rougher on the rabbit.

As for Endymion? There's a point there, actually. Both would have been ghosts of the Silver Millenium, really. I'm not sure offhand how she would've quite pushed Usagi, but she likely would have at least a bit.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Rejected idea 7 - Ami's past lover/rival.

This one was one of the memories Ami got in a PM - of a lover and competitor. The idea was for one of the Criminals to be it somehow, or for another mechanism to bring said person to this time.

It kind of fell by the wayside due to time issues and a smidge of common sense, and was more or less retconned quietly when Bean took over Ami. Would've interfered with his view of the character, and it was a niggling issue at best.

Rejected idea 8 - Ikkuko having magical potential.

To have been explored in the SC and later arcs to bring Usagi and her mother closer together. The idea struck me as an interesting one at first, but by the time I would have considered going with it post SC arc, it wasn't needed. The two had gotten closer without it, really, and it was a complication I didn't need. Nifty idea, though.

This would have been in conjunction with Serenity if she survived, likely. Something to perhaps make a certain peace between the two.

Rejected idea 9 - Orestes the stalker?!

Like he wasn't already. Anyway, this was the idea if Makoto hadn't gone AWOL - for Orestes to keep showing up around Makoto, to keep fueling her past memories while trying to get closer in. This got modded rather heavily as his main trigger wasn't available due to the flu. Damn.

Oh well, he still was okay. Ripping out Makoto's soul and joining up even more so with Cynthia worked out.

Rejected idea 10 - Cynthia surviving.

Well, this is the big one, folks. This was honestly my plan - she was ripe for the purifying at the end of the battle, perfectly vulnerable. With Serenity's memories, it would be easy to lure her into trying to save her demonically tainted best friend, right?

Well, I didn't count on Minako lasering her to death as she lay there, did I? Ignoring the fact that this really lead to the beginning of the end of Corwin/Minako for the moment, I still gave Usagi and outside chance of trying to pull something to save her - she did save her soul, but not her body. Ah well. Anyway...

If she had survived, she would have been terribly ashamed of what happened and regretful, having seen the horrors her own hand brought in two time periods. Depressed quite a bit, leaning on Serenity as her last latch of survival. Once she had some time, she'd become a NPC interacting with the others - a nice enough girl, who would have filled the magic tutor roll nicely. Also...I was half toying with a long term plan to have her be Neptune, as you may have guessed. The magical reformatting there would also have purged the last embers of her demonic talent away, giving her a final rebirth and life.

Damn, Minako. *sighs* Rei, didn't you have plans with Cynthia as well?

Semi Rejected idea 10 - Pytha.

Touted as a rival for Venus, Pytha was meant to be the capper battle for the arc - which should tell you something right there. With one hand holding life and healing, and the other hand holding death and decay, Pytha was an Venusian who would have gone after Minako - for revenge or for love or for something else.

Why'd I delay and finally scrap Pytha? Minako. Early on in the arc, I started to think it might not be a good idea to add Pytha in. Well, I was right, as events kept telling me to let it go - so I did. Now, Pytha has made a certain peace with the world away from the Senshi instead, happy to simply get into a job as a fashion designer and hiding his powers as best he can.

Rejected idea 11 - The Cosmic Blade surviving.

No, I''m not quite kidding you. I briefly entertained the though of it surviving as something of a curiosity, perhaps usable later by another person. Rejected for being both gay and unneeded.

Perhaps not rejected idea 12 - Oxyite surviving.

Because he worked so very well at what he did, I'm loathe to let the character go Now...He may very well have survived, his energy detonation sending him to another far away world.

In other words, if he ever shows up in another game he rant...I guess this wasn't a rejected idea after all. ^_^ That, and I'd like a chance to flush out his character one of these days.

Rejected idea 13 - Jadeite surviving.

Wow, notice a tread? Oy. Anyway, this one never got off the ground for one reason - I saw a saved Jadeite as a complete dead end and as a haunting reminder of the Dark Kingdom. Not needed, and I think it was better to let him die in battle and move on.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Always did wonder about that... Oh, well. Never really got enough there to have any feelings on it one way or the other.

Sorry, but when you say this... all I can think about is the Ikkuko Neptune omake. <_<

That could have worked well... if he'd been careful enough he probably would have avoided being blasted until he really stepped out of line. But him teaming up with Oxyite and Cynthia the way he did and kidnapping Makoto worked pretty well, anyway.

Yes! I'm surprised that you planned on Cynthia becoming genuinely nice and regretful post purification. My own plans centred around a bitter and still not nice Cynthia (acting rather like Eiko, actually) who needed to be... rehabilitated.

And how would I do that? By making her a miko, of course! Obviously, letting the former demon summoner live with Usagi would be out of the question, so I'd have her stay at the Shrine (where the wards would get doublechecked every day to ensure she didn't summon anything), and put her through some rather harsh 'training' to work the evilness out of her.

If she'd stuck around like that, it would have made Witch Rei's Deathbuster period a bit more interesting, too, I think.

Yeah. His description made him seem pretty scary, but with Minako the way she was... eh, lets face it, she'd have decapitated him before we could learn more than 5 words about his backstory.

Actually, I was dead set on looting that sword myself until we learned it was bonded to Oxyite and useless to anyone else.

Oxyite was very cool, but... having him survive after THAT. Geez, way to put the fear of God into us.

I dunno. This had potential. I wanted to take him alive, and rehabilitating him could have been fun. Would have given Rei someone to relate all her DK experiences with as well. While he may have been a shitty general in the 20th century, I bet he killed a fuckload of Moon Kingdom citizens in Metallia's final attack.

Also, with the manga possibility of Mars/Jadeite, I admit I was a bit intrigued along those lines as well. Would have been kind of cool if he had been the one to kill Rei back in the Silver Millenium - adds a certain symnetry.

Anastasia

Sorry, but when you say this... all I can think about is the Ikkuko Neptune omake. <_<

*Laughs*

At least you didn't think of the Setsuna/Ikkuko omake. >_>

Cynthia and Jadeite:

For what you mentioned about Jadeite, I'd planned to have you and Cynthia have a chat about doing what both of you did, to help put it in focus for the both of you. She had taken that role in my plans...and bah. Damnit.

And yes. The DB period would have been interesting with that as well. She wouldhave probably tipped the scales in favor of purifying even more so.
<Afina> Forever.

Halbarad

Barely any of us even KNEW about it. I think Panda mentioned it in passing once, but he never gave details and we never pressed.

Hmm. COULD have been interesting, and it would have drawn Usagi and Ikkuko a bit closer together. But given the poor woman's problems with her own daughter's powers, I'm not sure how she would have coped with developing magical talent of her own.

I'm contagious!

You said it yourself. He worked out pretty well all along; the only question I have is whether Makoto was your original target for Orestes.

It would have been very interesting to see Cynthia survive. From Usagi's perspective, having a friend around with crystal clear memories of the Silver Millenium would have been very nice, although I suppose that little dream of mine really completed the same effect in a nice little bundle.

Cynthia as Neptune, though.... not real sure on that one.

Without getting into too much, I agree with this move. First off, we'd already been pushed to our absolute limits by the time the Orestes/Cynthia battle was over. Having someone else even tougher to fight beyond that... wouldn't have been pretty. And it looks like you abandoned this one fairly early - we got almost no setup for Pytha whatsoever, other than the brief snippet from Ami's computer.

I never really expected it to survive, with him bonded to it the way he was. If Queen Serenity couldn't remove it from him, what chance would we have?

Let the poor man go. Yeah, he did his job REALLY well, and nearly killed poor Rei - twice - but in the end we did enough damage to turn him into a blue smear, if he didn't have his sword. If you want to reuse the character go for it, but I wouldn't give him continuity with this game if you do.

The main reason we drove so hard to purify Jadeite was because we saw him as a real possibility. He's the only one of the prisoners whose capabilities we were really familiar with, and given our strength at that point, purifying him should have been rather easy - much easier than any of the unknowns.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Anastasia

Barely any of us even KNEW about it. I think Panda mentioned it in passing once, but he never gave details and we never pressed.

Yeah. As I said, it just ended up not going anywhere - I didn't press the angle past a point with how things developed. Ah well.

Hmm. COULD have been interesting, and it would have drawn Usagi and Ikkuko a bit closer together. But given the poor woman's problems with her own daughter's powers, I'm not sure how she would have coped with developing magical talent of her own.

I'm contagious!

With the magic and the gay!

<_<

She'd have managed the best she could - not terribly, in other words. Once she got used to it, it would be like how it was for some of you:

"I can do such and such? Cool?"

You said it yourself. He worked out pretty well all along; the only question I have is whether Makoto was your original target for Orestes.

Let me reverse that: Do you think he might have been meant for someone else first?

It would have been very interesting to see Cynthia survive. From Usagi's perspective, having a friend around with crystal clear memories of the Silver Millenium would have been very nice, although I suppose that little dream of mine really completed the same effect in a nice little bundle.

Cynthia as Neptune, though.... not real sure on that one.

*Nods* That dream was something of an emergency fix, in a way. She would have given you the bell earrings in a plot scene a little while down the road; Cynthia also would have enjoyed discussing that long ago time once she had begun to come to grips with her acts.

The rough idea I had with Cynthia was to have her go through a long redemption over the course of the game - she'd begin it at the end of the Criminal arc and the downtime, and go through the most of it durning the DB/Elf arc. Becoming Neptune obviously wasn't cast in eternal stone, but it was the idea I kept coming back to as a final way of her atoning - by serving her Princess once again.

Without getting into too much, I agree with this move. First off, we'd already been pushed to our absolute limits by the time the Orestes/Cynthia battle was over. Having someone else even tougher to fight beyond that... wouldn't have been pretty. And it looks like you abandoned this one fairly early - we got almost no setup for Pytha whatsoever, other than the brief snippet from Ami's computer.

Basically. I smelt what in the winds. If you ever get around to talking to him(Another scene to do soon), you'll probably hear what happened to him. >_>

I never really expected it to survive, with him bonded to it the way he was. If Queen Serenity couldn't remove it from him, what chance would we have?

Little to none, hence the gay comments. >_>

The main reason we drove so hard to purify Jadeite was because we saw him as a real possibility. He's the only one of the prisoners whose capabilities we were really familiar with, and given our strength at that point, purifying him should have been rather easy - much easier than any of the unknowns.

That's a valid point there, I suppose. He was meant to be a contrast with Cynthia after being purified, perhaps the demon summoner even leading to him being saved.

As you can tell by this points, my plans for this arc tended to get severly mauled. >_>
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Well, onto the DB/Elf arc. Let's do this!

Rejected idea 14 - Deathbuster Minako!

Batton down the hatches, girls.

Okay, some backstory here. As you know, Minako/Corwin showed interest in a DK taint for awhile. God only knows what she had in mind, but she was bucking for one. I turned her request down a few times here - she never had any real justification.

Anyway, as we know, Minako technically DID join the Deathbusters, but it was at the very end of her run, so I retconned her actually joining out. She bolted just a day or two before it would have happened, and didn't look back.

So...what would have happened if Minako hadn't gotten herself tossed from the game? I had a few concepts:

1). Minako was to be paired with Mimete, the same way Mistress Rei 9-sama was paired with Eudial. This would effectively put the two on differing sides on the Deathbusters, at least at first, but likely for the entirety. The RPing and dramatic possibilites should be obvious as the two newer members of the Deathbusters are drawn into that mess.

This alone is one reason I'm glad Minako wasn't here for this - she would have likely made it a huge clusterfuck of a mess based on past track records.

2.) Deathbuster activities. This is where I was most interested for Minako. The general consensus from her one retconned DB scene and from guesswork was that she'd quite...pick on up the Deathbuster jobs. That's fine...she'd be successful at it, with hints of what she was doing was exceptionally well done.

And it's a funny catch-22. If Minako did THAT well, why, the Mistress would take note of her excellence. Just like how Kaolinite was touched, so would be Minako and Mimete for their success. Of course, I wouldn't allow a direct servant of Pharaoh 90 to be a PC under those circumstances.

OOC wise, that would have been a utter shitstorm. The idea would to have been to give Minako prompts IC to reconsider...which I'm half certain would've fallen by the wayside. The capping event would have been something with the Elves, or perhaps even a Talisman. Bringing the Space Sword to the Mistress would have been quite well rewarded.

3.) Mistress Minako. If events did go that far? It would have brought Mugen to a head - Minako wouldn't have given a damn about her identity or about the other Sailors. Filled with the power of Pharaoh 90, Minako would have only cared about finding the other two Talismans. Realisitically, this would have brought the Mugen events to a head sooner than later. I'll leave the finer details of this out, as I'm sure your heads can dream up all sorts of what ifs here.

---

That was the idea string I had in mind. Yet another reason that I'm rather glad Minako was out. The situation with the Deathbusters...all my hunches and feelings were that she'd try along these lines.

I'll do more later, but this one is big enough to deserve it's own post and replies.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Hmm... Minako as a Deathbuster.

Best case scenario is Rei and Minako's friendship would help Eudial and Mimette be less bitchy with each other, and things generally following the same pattern they did with just Rei in the Deathbusters.

But... I really can't see ANY chances of it going that way.

Minako would have dove into her Deathbuster work with a passion, I think. And probably tried to 'help' Rei work up to meet her high standards in heart snatching (although I don't think Rei did badly at all in that regard). Once she got the Mistress' favour (not the Kaolinite style powerup, but a few definite words of approval that she's on the right track), she'd probably get herself partnered with Rei, leaving Mimette and Eudial to their own devices once more.

Rei's rivalry with Kaolinite is quite certain to have turned deadly a lot sooner with Minako's 'help'. Depending on how Minako interacted with the other Witches, she might have bumped off one or two of them herself, for that matter.

She may have killed one of the Elves, or may not. In fairness, Rei was trying just as hard to bump off Ann whenever they met, but Minako always tended to have better dice luck...

As for the Talismans... Minako is pretty certain to have shown off her nifty sword, which would have no doubt helped Germatou in narrowing the list of potential targets, speeding things up quite a bit on that end.

With Pure Hearts being the targets, and the fact that she was becoming less and less fond of our leader, Minako definitely would have went after Usagi. That would have well and truly put things in clusterfuck territory, but if by some miracle we got through it without blowing everything wide open, the link between the Silver Millenium and the Talismans would be clear. You can bet Minako would have tried to steal the other senshi's talismans - probably outright telling Tomoe about Rei's Ash Rods.

Really, the entire situation would have been a complete nightmare, and if Minako did get the Kaolinite treatment... I can hardly begin to imagine just how badly things would get fucked up.

Halbarad

A few points that I'VE got about the whole Minako as a Deathbuster idea:

I agree with both Eb and Dune here; given Minako's history, she probably would have thrown herself into her work with the Deathbusters wholeheartedly.

As far as Heart Snatches go... well, from an outsider's perspective, it always seemed to me like Rei viewed Snatches as just 'part of the job', so to speak. She never really seemed that enthusiastic about them; they were just part of what she had to do. Minako... I doubt would have taken such a low-key approach. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd taken the initiative to do some Snatches on her own to earn brownie points with Germatou and the Mistress, and while I don't think she'd be careless about returning Crystals, I do tend to think she wouldn't give the repercussions of her actions a second thought at all. Throw in her senshi powers - which she had full access to without transforming - and you've possibly (outside chance, but still) got the senshi linked to attacks being made on people. DEFINITELY not a good thing. As far as the senshi's Heart Crystals go, I think Eb summed that up best - Usagi would have been a primary target if Minako was still around, especially if things continued to develop between her and Rei. And in that case, I'm not sure she'd be too eager to return my Heart Crystal. -_-

As far as her getting more involved with the Deathbusters, I tend to think she would go a long way, yes. She did throw herself completely into everything she did (for better or worse) and I have little doubt that the Deathbusters would have been no different. I'd expect half the senshi's secrets to fall right into Germatou's lap; if we became any sort of nuisance whatsoever, I don't doubt that Minako would have spilled our identities, except for possibly Rei's. Everything from the Talismans (including her own sword) to the existence of our subspace pockets would probably have come out; Germatou wouldn't have been short on ammunition at all when it came to fighting us. And if she WAS subverted almost completely into the Deathbusters, fighting HER would have been a nightmare, PC or NPC. Usagi and Rei would likely be almost completely hamstrung, assuming Rei could even get OUT of the Deathbusters with Minako's influence there, and I doubt any of the others would be too eager to fight her either.

No matter how you slice it, with the way Minako was going at the time she left, her involvement in the Deathbusters would have been a complete nightmare for the rest of us.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Anastasia

Thoughts on the points raised by Rabbit and Rei:

I pretty much agree with the underlying sentiment that we'd have had something of a worst case scenario here. Rei's first idea is nice and all....but let's keep it real here, people. We all can't see it going that way, too much evidence otherwise.

As for going after Usagi? I don't know...it's possible, though, and that would have been huge puddle o' messiness.

But yes. If the Senshi's identities came to Germatou's knowledge? He'd want to lure them in and give them the same treatment - gets him more foot soliders AND eliminates a viable threat.  If he finds out about more Talismans and their connection to the Senshi, even more so. If things worked out his way(And it's not unviable that it would there), he'd have the converted Senshi, a handful of Talismans and the Witches.

The capper would have been the Pharaoh being even more interested in events then, taking a more direct role through Mistress 9. And with a Talisman or two, it would be quite possible to see the adult Mistress 9.

Frankly, Earth probably would have been down it's last, sad days.

This isn't everything, but I think you touched on the fundamental points here.
<Afina> Forever.