News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Io's Labyrinth

Started by Anastasia, December 12, 2018, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Moore shuts it with a smile. "Thank you." He says quietly as he puts it away.

Anastasia

"Thank you," Antenora says, "A key of power will serve us well. Power and hope - the power to have hope, the power to enact changes to realize your hope. I dare think it is an important key."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"In the end, we're on the same side," Seira muses. "There are three more things I can teach you, under the same restrictions as before. Do you have anything of equal value and interest to trade?"

She delivers the concepts of the fires of creation, of the prismatic empowerment process Cauldron has developed and of the behemoth research.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

The concepts are taken, examined. There is a long pause as the dragon does so, "Promising but incomplete, but together I will accept them," he announces. "I would give you my memory of the time I saw the absolute light."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore decides to try for himself and writes down the knowledge of some of the spells he's found himself -- there's no real harm in sharing it with someone like this, anyway.

These aren't scrolls, as Moore is too stupid to know how to actually write scrolls of magic, but he'll write down the basic concepts, principles and knowledge of the following spells:

Antimagic Sound
Greater Snowsong
Humble Words

If they end up worth something, all the better. If not, perhaps they can help the others 'afford' something!

He rolls up the pieces of paper and holds them up again!

Corwin

Is it really? Seira controls goldenfire as an extension of her divine power, and Afina made for Sanzha's very real success in the other field. Behemoths, too, can reliably be produced if one doesn't mind the atrocious attrition rate she's working with Syala to reduce.

Still! "Very well," she agrees.

Anastasia

Before all the party, reality becomes a dream. A memory, a memoryscape. A throne atop a great tower, where it seems all of a vast realm can be seen.

Yet Three dominate. Three presences, overwhelming even in memory. Vast, impossible things, yet with no shape at all.

One of perfect symmetry and order, repeating forever and forever, yet always new and always a new revelation. In it you glimpse the secrets of all Creation, yet they slide from your reeling minds.

One of perfect change and chaos, forever churning forever, yet always coming back to that looming shape. In it you glimpse again all the secrets of Creation, yet again they defy your mind to understand.

Yet both are in opposition to one another. Both are perfect yet perfectly opposed. For a third is here. He is all they are not and more, endless and forever being all, yet here and not everywhere. In it you glimpse every secret of Creation, but it is like sand between your fingers, inevitably slipping away.

"I will see, masters," Io's voice, deferential. It comes from your side, even as your vision is fixed on the Three before you.

From the Endless Chaos comes the words, "Come, light." A voice that is ever changing and all, yet speaking with absolute conviction.

From the Eternal Order comes the words, "Let the light shine." A voice that is meaning as much as words, yet speaking with absolute conviction.

From it the radiance of 21 shines bright. Vastly brighter than Moore or others have ever seen it shine, as if all an eternity is to soar forth and immolate all in absolute light. A third voice comes from beyond that light, unspoken and yet understood: Light, continue to strive forth for our Answer.

And yet Alicia and Seira recoil. Tendrils of fear snake amid them, the sight of this light overwhelming. In that instant they know that should it be turned on them, all will end for them. A light that awaits and will purify all simply to find an Answer, if that is so needed. Antenora's hiss is soft in the air, Amaryl's own cry soft and wordless as she steps back.

"My theory, my hope is that the absolute light shall finally provide our Answer," The voice of the Incarnation of Law.

"Yes, master," Io's voice. "I shall face that light, if it is your will."

"No." The ever changing voice of the Incarnation of Chaos, "Your death will be no benefit to the quest for an Answer."

"Thank you," Io's relief is immediate, "For you have created such a thing that terrifies me, master."

The light of 21 shines ever brighter, seeming to consume all around it.

Then the wordless words of the Incarnation of Balance are heard: Then watch and bear witness to this light, Io and Galaurskax.

Forever is the light of 21, consuming all - even the memory, as at last you all return to yourselves.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

The revelation reignites Seira's anger as she strives not to scowl.

Nephrite

So 21 really is a battle for a soul... the soul of 21, and the soul to find an Answer.

Moore stays quiet for the time being, just watching -- though the noises the others make draw his attention, since he isn't seemingly affected in the same way.

Ebiris

Alicia's eyes narrow as she shades them against that baleful light, another revelation to hold onto. And still the third incarnation remains just a bit mysterious.

Anastasia

"I had thought 21's power was enough, yet it's barely a candle to that memory," Antenora says, "What a dreadful, terrible thing they made."

"All to find an Answer that still eludes them, 21 put aside like a broken toy and forgotten for eons," Amaryl seconds, shivering and rubbing her arms as if cold. "It looks to consume and purify all - even Sylvie, Moore?"

"My master was to bear witness to 21 and he did," The wyrm declares. "I have only had one nightmare in my life, and it was the next time I slept after seeing 21."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"It changed Sylvie." Moore confirms. "I know she's still...  herself somehow."

Corwin

"Do you know where 21 is now, or how to find it?" Seira asks. "Are there other such relics by the Incarnations just laying around somewhere?"

Anastasia

"I do not," The wyrm admits, "They showed 21 to Io and I was there, they allowed me to see it."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira nods in understanding.

I think we're good here?