River City Ransom

Started by Dracos, July 05, 2002, 08:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Evil1: It's a Street Fighting Game!
Evil2: No, It's an RPG!
Evil3: No, It's an Action Game!
Evil4: No, It's an Adventure Game!
Dracos: "I don't give a damn.  I just beat some kid up with a lead pipe and took his lunch money.  Score!"

First off, this game is utterly immoral.  You should play it anyway.  The basic gist of the game is simple.  Your some campus bigshot who had his girlfriend stolen by some other bigshot at another school.  And by stolen I mean kidnapped.  Needless to say, your PO'ed, so you go out there fists wailing to beat the shit out of everyone.  And by everyone I mean the mafia too.  For some reason every gang in the world appears to help out here.

For those of you who participated in our Super Dodge Ball Time Challenge, kudos to you.  Some of you demonstrated quite admirable gaming abilities.  You can picture this game as Super Dodge Ball without the ball...without the rule lines...and with lead pipes.

The graphics are fairly good as far as an NES game goes, keeping the relatively cartoony standards of the Kunio-kun series of games.

The music...well I think I thought it was nifty.  It's been a week...i should go back and play through the entire game again.

You can beat the game in under an hour on easy mode, around two on hard mode.  I suggest hard mode.  Why?  Because you literarly have more reason to smack skulls into the floor.

Some wise cracker might  notice an item called "Mod Boots"...  I don't know who produces them but I need a half dozen more.  My shoes have way too much blood on them.

It's a parody game clearly, but one that is very funny.  I won't ruin it for you, but if you aren't laughing by the end of it, then you probably already died from laughter.

The fighting system is simple, efficient and fun.   Nothing more need be said on it.

Conclusion: I recommend everyone go and get this game for some ol' school gaming.  It's even two player for double the brutality.   GTA in the 80s without cars.

Referrals: I'd like to thank Lufio for finally getting me to go check this game out.  Despite dozens of previous referrals, his simple reminiscing convinced me to get the game and try it out.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

You have seen the light of River City Ranson, eh?

This bugger of a game kept me playing, and playing, and playing.....
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Calorn

This game is great.  I love it.  I put up there with Mighty Final Fight(NES, kinda rare) as far as asskicking is concerned.  Besides what is better than beating the shit out of some dude that took your girl?  Great stress reliever like GTA.

Dracos

Good comparison, Veloce.  Mighty Final Fight for the super nintendo was fun, though they needed to flesh out that system just a tweak more and it would've been totally kickass.  Regardless, great stress relief game.  Beatdown!

^_^

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.