(Arc 4-2) Dancing with ghouls: Platinum DVD set.

Started by Anastasia, March 21, 2007, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

> A few days have passed. Seira and Lyselle gather in the evening at Commander Oberuth's orders. The meeting room is lit by candles, a few scrolls gone over as you enter. "It'll just be the two of you tonight - I've received word that Berlioz has taken ill, and Shamal is busy being a healmarm to him. She relays that the disease is being fought back well, however."
* Seira nods curtly at his words.
* Lyselle nods, standing easily though attentively at her commanding officer's instructions.
> "Well then, first of all. Good work a few days ago at with gate guarding. The merchant you apprehended trying to evade duty ended up having to pay 500 golds as well as the normal tax. Very well done."  He smiles a moment at this, making a motion as he does. "Sit down now, while you have the chance. You're going to be doing a lot of walking the next few hours.
* Seira sits down dutifully, waiting for the Commander to detail their next mission.
* Lyselle keeps her expression plain, taking a seat and relaxing for what she can manage before they are shooed off on whatever errand this might be.
> "There's been complaints from last night - about strange figures seen in alleyways and on backstreets. Not normally considered anything but drunken worries, but this morning several blood splatteres were found on these streets." A grim, momentary pause, "IT could be a lot of things, or even a flukish isolated series of incidents, but it's prudent that we look into things."
<Seira> "What are we to do if we encounter these strange figures and catch them in the act, Sir?" Seira asks him.
<Lyselle> "And do you have any particular suspicions about them?" Lyselle adds, lifting her eyebrows and leaning forward a little.
> "Enthusiasm much?" Commander Oberuth smiles am oemnt after, looking at the two before Seira speaks. "If they're easily apprended or normal, arrest them. In the small event that it could be anything less....savory? Be cautious. All the old wives in inns will be screaming about vampires of necromancers come the dawn if this happens again, but it's just as easily a freak or murderer as anything so outlandish."
> *or
<Seira> "Where should we start then, Sir?"
> "The splatters were all over the city, so..." A shrug there, light and easy. "There are a few guard units searching as well here and there. The docks would be good based on that, or..." Pausing as he checks his scroll, "The garrison's very well covered already. Down near the trading market and the temple of Waukeen, or the hilled crest of the town. That place with that wonderful bakery."
* Seira glances at Lyselle. "The bakery sounds like a good place to start."
<Lyselle> "If you think so," Lyselle nods to the elfling, a casual smile offered.
> "Good luck, and Seira, just a moment?" The Commander stands at that.
<Seira> "Certainly," she responds, and after a brief consideration stands up as well.
> "If you will, Seira will join you outside in a moment," Oberuth informs Lyselle.
* Lyselle raises an eyebrow, but slips out.
> Once Lyselle is out, "Seira?" He looks on, solemn. He pauses, "How well do you get along with other elves?"
* Seira blinks at the question. "I... I'm not sure I understand, Sir," she says at last.
> He looks point blank at you, "Mmm. Let me try this again - do elves accept you? Would you be able to go to the elven lands, say, and be in good graces?"
* Seira frowns. "I cut my ties when I left my previous home, Sir. To return now would signify defeat." She pauses. "If I were under an assumed identity, however, I believe I could blend in seamlessly."
> "Very well. Thank you." Oberuth nods once, "Dismissed now."
* Seira salutes the Commander, and leaves the room.
> So into the early night the two go. It's cloudy yet the halfmoon pokes out on occasion. The streets are quiet as you approach the hill, a slight coolness in the wet sea air. The hill doesn't look to have much going on, light coming from the scantly seen stars above and occasional torches.  It's shadowy and quiet...
* Seira likes the shadows, staying under their protective cover.
* Lyselle stays a bit apart from Seira, not wanting to bunch up, but likewise sticking to the dimme parts of the streets while she follows the darker haired soldier.
> The street itself is quiet. Quiet...as you walk along, you can see atop the hill as you climb up. The bakery is closed, the window gone and halfway to being remodeled. Some lumber and a few supplies lie around the perimeter of the building.
* Seira examies the building, and whether one could gain entry into it without having to break in.
> The building is locked up tight. Some of the front window is gone - you could maaaaybe wriggle in that way if you really wanted to. OOC - Listen checks.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+1 and gets 6." [1d20=5]
<Seira> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+3 and gets 18." [1d20=15]
* Seira signals to Lyselle that something seems to be happening around the building, and creeps along its wall towards a corner before kneeling and taking a peek over it.
* Lyselle raises an eyebrow, taking a hold of her mace as she follows behind Seira, but doesn't stick her head around the corner.
> Peeking around, you see that there is someone kneeling ont he far side, looking at the ground. With Seira's elven vision, she can see that it's a small human girl wearing simple peasant clothes. She carries a bow in one hand, a quiver of arrows on her back.
<Seira> "Pollyanna?" Seira chances with a whisper.
> In one fluid movement she rolls to the side! A quick, agile movement, coming up in a deadly crouch! He bow is out, held sideways and an arrow nocked! Her small body is tense and tight, eyes like fire. But then the tip of the arrow and then bow are lowered a notch. "Is that..." she murmurs, squinting.
<Seira> "Human eyesight," Seira mutters, sighing. "Over here," she says in a quiet voice, waving an arm at her.
> Pollyanna gets up, cautiously approaching - and then smiling. "Oh!" she says as she gets into visual range, "You're those gate guarding girls from a few days ago!"
* Seira nods. "We are on official business now as well. What are you doing here at night?"
> "Making a living." A small smile there as she dusts of her knees, "Where there's smoke, there's both fire and usually a payday in the waiting. But oh...the guard is at it as well?" Her hair is reddish brown, short cut.
<Seira> "One of our duties is the protection of the civilian population," Seira responds. "Any information you may have would be useful."
* Lyselle just offers a faint smile, her mace wielding arm relaxing for the moment.
> "Just that something like a vampire was walking the streets." A light, lithe shrug, a bubbly smile blossoming on her face. "If it is such a creature, it's extermination would lead to rewards and it's own surely impressive stash of loot."
<Seira> "Did you receive official sanction for your actions?" Seira asks the girl bluntly.
> "Oh well..." A bit of fidgeting, "Of course not. Is there something wrong with taking an evening stroll?"
<Seira> "You have the option of work together with us," she offers, not dignifying that feeble excuse with a response. "We cannot have vigilanties run around, especially if they are this twitchy. What would have happened had I tried to approach this shady figure crouching suspiciously next to this property to question it?"
> "Same result, I'm not particularly loose with my arrows." But nonetheless she nods, taking a step back. "I get the idea. I'll go home and be a good girl.
> "
<Lyselle> "What makes you think it's a vampire?" Lyselle asks finally, raising an eyebrow.
Back: Away for 40mins 44secs
Away Deactivated: Auto Away reactivated
> "Oh, just the rumor on the street.." A smile to Lyselle, but shes' already turning the corner away, slipping back into the nigt.
> *night
* Seira sighs once the girl leaves. "More trouble," she says with a frown.
<Lyselle> "I think you overstate the troublesomeness of simple adventurers," Lyselle offers, frowning slightly at that the girl's parting, but just shrugging.
<Seira> "We'll see," Seira responds, and proceeds to survey the rest of the area.
> It's pretty easy to see one thing of note on searching, so simple that it's trivial. There's a dried blood splatter where Pollyanna was looking, dark red and crusty. Beyond that, the area is quiet...
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 9." [1d100=9]
<Seira> "Should we wait here?" Seira suggests to Lyselle. "It is a strategic location, and we could fight here without concern for bystanders if it came to that."
> My. The darkness of the night is rippling with a scream! A scream from down the hill, a woman's shrill cry of alarm and terror.
<Lyselle> "...No, I think we should head in that direction," Lyselle remarks, turning towards the scream!
* Seira gives chase, her bow ready. She attempts to reach a place where she could see the screaming woman as quickly as possible.
* Lyselle follows as close as she can in armor, her mace readied and waiting to brain things.
> Down the street you run! It's not far past the crest, going downward! Another scream, this one as a woman runs out from an alley! She clutches her left shoulder, blood coming down as she stumbles!
<Seira> Seira's bow is drawn, an arrow notched, as soon as she notices the blood darkening the woman's figure.
> She's in a peasant dress and normal, a bit on the hefty side as she falls to the street. She's breathing heavily and bleeding, blood coming from under her pressure giving hand. ""H...Help..." she cries, weak.
<Lyselle> "Stay here," Lyselle commands, handing the woman a potion of cure light wounds. "This should help with the wound."
> The woman takes the potion in a fumbling, weak sort of way, "Th...thank you."
* Lyselle pauses to make sure the woman manages to drink it, but looks toward where she came from, wondering what Seira plans here.
<Seira> First on Seira's list is to see the attacker clearly.
> She does. Lyselle and Seira look to the alley...
> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+4 and gets 17." [1d20=13]
> OOC - Spot checks.
<Seira> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+3 and gets 11." [1d20=8]
<Seira> roll 1d20+3 reroll
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+3 reroll and gets 8." [1d20=5]
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+1 and gets 10." [1d20=9]
> All the party sees is a faint, shadowy movement in the alleyway, a glint of red...but nothing more.
* Seira frowns. "I see no recourse but to proceed," she tells Lyselle quietly.
<Lyselle> "Very well..." Lyselle murmurs, glancing again at the woman. "Do you have any idea what attacked you?" she asks, trying to gather information on their target at least shortly.
<Seira> Feeling the woman is aptly protected by Lyselle, Seira keeps her attention on the alley itself.
> "It was...it was..." She gasps as the potion's magic seals her wounds, shivering. "Dead gray skin, but it was wearing old, rotted clothes."
<Lyselle> "How did it attack you?" Lyselle asks further, smiling and just patting the woman's unblodstained shoulder, trying to offer some comfort.
> "It..it bit me. Yellow teeth and stubs!" She shivers at this, "Just like the..like the gold chain it wore, too."
<Lyselle> "Alright...what's your name and where do you live?" Lyselle asks finally, smiling. "You should go home now, but we might want to ask more questions in the future," Lyselle offers softly, keeping her worries well concealed.
> "Leonelle, I live a street down," she says, "Over old Banneman's bookbindery."
<Lyselle> "Thank you," Lyselle nods, helping the woman stand. "Please get home quickly, we'll pursue the...perpetrator," she adds, moving towards Seira and the alleyway.
> "Yes, ma'am." With that the woman stumbles towards home, fleeing away.
<Lyselle> Lyselle takes the reluctant lead, waiting until the woman gets out of earshot before speaking as they head down the alley. "It sounds like some sort of undead, at least..."
> The alley is shadowy and dark. There's some refuse about, boxes and scraps of stuff piled against the walls. The alley slopes down, and at where it starts, you can see a few clear blood splatters.
* Seira follows after Lyselle, intent on providing her with backup.
* Lyselle keeps advancing, moving along and trying to keep an eye out for shadowy movement as they head for the other end of the alley.
> OOC - Spot check, Lyselle, then.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+1 and gets 18." [1d20=17]
> As Lyselle looks, her eyes catch something in the refuge pile besides her! It's starting to move, a glint of red eyes coming! Just enough time to prevent a vicious ambush, as a gray body thrusts out! Flies surround it, it's mouth emitting noxious fumes! OOC - Initiative.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+2 and gets 9." [1d20=7]
> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+2 and gets 16." [1d20=14]
<Seira> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+4 and gets 14." [1d20=10]
> Ghoul>Seira>Tankess-chan.
> With a wailing cry the ghoul lunges at Lyselle, mouth open to try to bite her!
> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+2 and gets 4." [1d20=2]
> Yet it's efforts are in vain! Trash rains around the blonde knight, her arm coming to push the ghoul away in an excellent defensive reflex! The alley is sounded by it's undead groans and the loud crashing of debris! OOC - SEira.
<Seira> Lyselle might be in the way, which is unfortunate, but Seira will try to shoot the ghoul anyway!
<Seira> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+2 and gets 7." [1d20=5]
<Seira> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+2 and gets 12." [1d20=10]
> But both arrows miss! One bounces off the brick wall of the alley, while the other whizzes between the ghoul's head and Lyselle's neck!
<Lyselle> Lyselle's mace swings back slightly, then comes forward with a crushing force aimed at the undead creature of damnation!
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+9 and gets 19." [1d20=10]
> OOC - Hit.
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+5
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d8+5 and gets 13." [1d8=8]
> With a powerful, braining blow, the ghoul's head is smashed into bits! As rotten brain cells splatter about, it's cursed body falls listlessly to the ground! Flies swarm on it, it's aura of filth turning your stomachs.
<Seira> "There are actual undead preying on the citizens of this city," Seira comments in disbelief, coming closer.
<Lyselle> "It appears so," Lyselle agrees, wincing and taking a step back at the stench. "I think the regular guard can handle the body, we should notify our superiors."
> roll 1d20+6
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+6 and gets 23." [1d20=17]
* Seira looks down the alley.
> The alley ahead goes down and it dark. You don't really see anything down it beyond more junk.
> The end can just be glimpsed, coming out to what you think is a side street, but it's hard to tell from here.
<Seira> "Let's examine the area more, first," Seira suggests, progressing down the alley.
* Lyselle nods, heading forward and keeping an eye out for any more traps or undead,. Who knows how this could go...
> OOC - Heh, heh. Spot check it up if you like, and also listen check.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1 spot
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+1 spot and gets 12." [1d20=11]
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1 listen
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+1 listen and gets 20." [1d20=19]
<Seira> roll 1d20+3 s
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+3 s and gets 8." [1d20=5]
<Seira> roll 1d20+3 l
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+3 l and gets 18." [1d20=15]
> The alley is quiet now, nothing noted as you walk along. Just a whole lotta junk, a small chalk circle with a cracked pair of bone dice left behind, a bit of rotting trash, and so on.
* Seira takes a closer look of the chalk circle.
> It looks like a crude drawn chalk circle. INside of it are two dice, chipped and cracked. They're handmade of bone, the normal method for making them these days. The sort of thing a couple of unsavories would have no them for alley games.
* Seira goes on to see where the alley leads.
> At the end of the alley you come out to a side street. A shoeshop is here, then a textile knitting shop. Very plain and unremarkable.
<Seira> "Should we patrol more after we alert the Guard?" she asks Lyselle.
* Lyselle shrugs a little, frowning. "We might want to ask them if anything else has been happening. Otherwise..." she just shrugs, frowning back at the ghoul. "It seems like we caught it?"
<Seira> "Would it have had the intelligence to attack all over the city and remain concealed until now?"
<Lyselle> "It had the intelligence to set an ambush, and patrols aren't exactly thick on the streets," Lyselle points out, shrugging. "If you've preconcluded that we should continue, then do so."
* Seira nods. "I believe it prudent. We should comb the area for any abandoned buildings, and then follow up elsewhere where attacks took place."
<Lyselle> "Alright," Lyselle allows, shrugging and taking a look around, though allowing the rogue to lead her own idea.
> So the duo explore. There are a few abandoned or closed down buildings, but not many. The two are both one story affairs, boarded up.
* Seira checks to see whether any of the neighborhood kids made a way inside by looking for any loose planks, or broken windows one might squeeze through.
> OOC - Okay, search checks.
<Seira> roll 1d20+6
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+6 and gets 11." [1d20=5]
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+@
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+@ and gets Error: Numeric values only." [1d20=6]
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+2 and gets 19." [1d20=17]
> It's not too hard for Lyselle. She pokes and prods, and while Seira checks a window in the rear of one of the buildings? She finds a few broken boards covered by some debris. A nice large wiggle hole, easily fitting an adult sized woman or two.
<Lyselle> "Seira," Lyselle calls, poi8nting out tthe entryway to the other woman, and looking at it to see if she can widen the hole for ease of entrance. She isn't above prying a few more boards off...
<Lyselle> *pointing
* Seira wiggles! And wriggles! Anything to try and get inside the house!
> Both succeed. Another board is removed and Seira wiggles on in! Inside it's fairly open, one big common room. Besides dust and a few rodents, you see a pile of wooden swords and pot lids around an old wooden treasure chest. Atop the chest is a dirty red flag - is that an old Crimson Guard banner?
* Seira checks said treasure chest.
> It's unlocked. Inside you find: A real iron dagger, a beaten up book and a pouch that looks to be holding some coins.
* Seira examines the book, bypassing the other items for the time being.
> It's a book of basic swordsman ship, horse riding, arrow mastery and so forth. It's an old instructino tome in essence, one you dimly remember reading in your own academy days.
* Seira places it back, taking a look inside the pouch next.
> Inside are a mix of copper and silver coins. A casual count suggests about 5 GP or so, give or take a bit.
* Seira adds a silver coin to the mix, before placing everything back in the treasure chest. "This house is a bust, it seems," she tells Lyselle. "We could try the other one. It's a shame none of the children who play here could be questioned. They may have seen something...."
<Lyselle> "We could come back later, but their parents..." Lyselle shrugs, shaking her head and smiling. "They look like they might end up good soldiers someday, if Biggs is to be trusted..." she snorts, a small hint of joy piercing the night. "Do you have paper? We could leave a note for them or something."
* Seira nods, providing said paper.
* Lyselle scribbles something down in Common, to the effect of "Seen anything suspicious? The Guard would like a favor of you. Reply on the back of this and leave it in the chest. - Countess of Armasea" she adds the signature to give the children at least a little sense of importance about it, leaving it with the coin. "Alright."
> OOC - Where are you going to search now? Anywhere in particular
> ?
<Seira> OOC: Other abandoned house, then other scenes of murders/blood splotches?
> OOC: Okay.
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 98." [1d100=98]
> As you walk down the streets at night, quiet and peaceful, you see someone ahead of you! Kneeling next to a storefront, a man in a wide brimmed hat kneels, examining what looks to be a body.
* Lyselle advances towards him, a shield and mace held relaxedly ready as she tries to get closer and see more of the man.
* Seira heads straight towards the man, not trying to hide herself.
> The man turns his head as you approach. His green eyes glisten before he pulls the brim of his hat down, shadows hiding. "Hail." he speaks evenly, rising up. At his belt is a rapier, his face hidden. "You walk the streets even now? I applaud." AT his feet is a ghoul, motionless.
<Seira> "Did you stop that thing?" Seira asks him.
> "Yes." His had so down, he takes a moment to adjust a simple gold ring on his finger. "A ghoul - it's bite is paralysis and it's teeth are filled with disease. Be wary of them, yes?"
> *hat
<Seira> "Do you know how many more are out there?"
> "No, I do not." Ring so adjusted, he goes back to keeping the brim of his hat down. He turns, wearing dark, night fitting clothes. "...hmph?" A pause as he looks up, "Gate guards?"
<Lyselle> "Who only occasionally hold such boring duties," Lyselle answers with a small snort. "We're given whatever mission our commander feels appropriate."
> "Well then, look yonder," He steps away from the body, a few flies fleeing. "I wish you well with this, but I must continue on for now." The ghoul's body wears rotted clothes, but you can note some sort of yellow(Gold?) chain clearly hanging from it's thigh.
* Seira steps forward to examine the chain on the ghoul's body, outwardly undisturbed by the smell. "How did you stumble across the ghoul?" she asks.
> "Chance and luck." He shrugs slightly at this, already walking away, back to you. The golden chain is a simple knitted chain of gold, but there's also some engraved writing.
* Seira takes it with her, trying to read the letters.
<Seira> "We may need to ask you a few questions about this later," Seira calls after him. "Where are you staying?"
> "The Dawn Pointe. It's next door to a butchery." As he speaks and walks away, Seira checks the letters. (Sec, looking up something.)
* Lyselle glances at the engraving as well, out of curiousity.
> Lyselle and Seira's estoric studies pay off. It's Celestial, a simple phrase. 'May those of the light watch over the soul as it leaves this mortal vessel.'
* Lyselle raises an eyebrowm frowning at the inscription. "Odd...that doesn't sound like what I'd expect Necromancy to sound like..."
<Seira> "Intersting," she says in agreement, pocketing the chain itself. "We now have more to ask that man when we see him next."
* Lyselle nods, frowning and looking about. "Where to next, then?"
<Seira> "Let's examine all the places where attacks took place. Perhaps, from seeing them in person, a clue towards the pattern of attacks or how victims were chosen would reveal itself."
* Retrieving #dunes modes...
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 32." [1d100=32]
> The next few locations are an alley next to a tavern, an alley between a few merchantries in the business line and a dead end street in some residential housing. Each is quiet and peaceful, little sign of the troubles that plagued them last night.
* Seira tries to determine whether any routes exist between the various places that ghouls could travel on out of the public's eye.
> The streets are generally dark, more than it's fair share of alleys and unlit places. It's not hard to move unseen, the torchlights around generally spaced fairly far out. Someone with time and slinky skill could probably go to each of them well enough. IN the current state, it's not too impossible to do so.
<Seira> roll 1d20+5
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+5 and gets 10." [1d20=5]
* Seira frowns. "So we can't tell whether these ghouls are operating from some base they have established or are being created all over the town, it appears," she mutters, before turning towards Lyselle. "I propose we patrol some more, and then try to gather information during the day."
<Lyselle> "I just hope you plan on including time to sleep," Lyselle agrees drylyshrugging as she stifles a yawn, but keeps on going. "Whatever's creating them could probably move even easier, so who knows."
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 15." [1d100=15]
> The port is dark and lonesome. Tall and great sailing ships are at rest here, only lit by the occasional sally of the deeply risen moon. Strangely, however, on a small dock you can see what looks to be a rough sailor lying there.
* Seira approaches the sailor!
* Lyselle follows quickly, ready either for a waiting ghoul, or one of its victims!
> As you walk there, you can see that a mug lies besides him. Closer you get, the green waters shaded black by nighttime. The mug rests by his arm, blocking some of it from view.
* Lyselle nudges the sailor with one of her boots, letting Seira check for things like bite marks and pulses.
* Seira gives the man a cursory examination from a distance, and waits to see if he'll react to Lyselle, first.
> He moans as he stirs a bit, movements very groggy. "Guh...get away..." he says in pain and fear, as Lyselle can see his arm move. Where the mug was, a nasty, vicious bite has taken out a chunk of his arm. But...
> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+2 and gets 11." [1d20=9]
> With the barest reaction, Lyselle feels a cold, clammy thing clamp onto her leg! BUt her dexterity is just enough, yanking her leg away! Seira sees it rise out of the black water, splashing! A gray body, groaninga s it fails to establish contact with Lyselle! OOC - Initiative.
> It's clothes are rotten as ever, upper body above the water after it's miss.
> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+2 and gets 6." [1d20=4]
<Lyselle> roll1d20+2
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+2 and gets 8." [1d20=6]
<Seira> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+4 and gets 19." [1d20=15]
> Seira>>>Lyselle>Ghoul
* Seira takes a few steps back, drawing her bow, and loosens an arrow at the rising ghoul.
<Seira> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+4 and gets 15." [1d20=11]
> OOC - Hit.
<Seira> roll 1d8
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d8 and gets 6." [1d8=6]
> The arrow is a direct hit! It goes into the ghoul's shoulder dead on, burying itself deeply in! It's body quivers, but it's still up! OOC - Lyselle.
<Lyselle> Lyselle takes a swing again, a mace that's seen an awful lot of grey matter and gained no intelligence for it seeking out more!
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+9 and gets 16." [1d20=7]
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+5
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d8+5 and gets 9." [1d8=4]
> CRUNCH! It's chest is caved in, the ghoul letting out a droning mew as it falls back, sinking into the dark waters.
<Lyselle> "...Dammit, we'll get someone else to fish it out with a hook on a pole or something," Lyselle mutters, frowning.
* Seira nods, and approaches the downed sailor once more. "Are you well enough to walk?" she asks the man.
> "Ugh...yeah...Dammit, what in the name of Gond WAS that?" He gets up slowly, holding his bitten arm. "One moment I'm going about, the next I'm grapping with something hungry.
<Lyselle> "Ghoul," Lyselle answers, shaking her head. "There've been three tonight..." SHE MURMURS< FROWNING DARKLY>
<Lyselle> *she murmurs, frowning darkly.
<Seira> "The key to grappling is avoiding it altogether," Seira advises the sailor. "Be sure to remember that in the future."
> "Will do," the sailor nods, shivering. "A ghoul? ...is all that vampire stuff true?" he asks, "I heard about it tonight."
<Seira> "What did you hear, and from whom?"
> "At the bar - everyone was going on about it, this and that and how." He rubs his arm again, wincing visibly. "Thanks. ...say, I can do something for ya."
<Seira> "Really?"
> He nods once, "Yeah. Da' used to say that silver wards off things like that. Said 'Linard, see this? Not even a zombie'll be able to stay in a fight if you have a silver knife. They hate 'em."
<Lyselle> "I have a silver longsword for exactly that, just didn't know we were going to be facing undead," Lyselle admits, shrugging a bit and shaking her head. "My mace has been working plenty well so far."
* Seira nods as well. "I'll see about investing in several silver-tipped arrows, myself."
> "Da' left me a silver knife if you want it," he offers and nods. "It'll help ya, and he'd be laughin' from Celestia if he knew it actually got use."
* Lyselle shakes her head. "Thanks, but I suspect we'll manage fine for what little of the night is left, we'll be able to properly arm ourselves by tomorrow."
> "Alright. Then be careful." The sailor nods and starts to go, "Gond watch over ya."
<Seira> "Wait," Seira stops him. "The ghouls' bite carries a disease. Make absolutely certain you see a healer."
> "...Blimey! I will!" The poor guy turns and shivers, "I'll do it first thing!"
<Lyselle> "Have a safe trip past that," Lyselle offers finally, nodding and sighing. "Well...this has been lively."
<Seira> "Some effects may be delayed, so it may be a good idea to check in a few days after being given a clean bill of health."
> The sailor nods, off and away now.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Tiny OOC fragment since it's relevant:

> ---
> Okay, questions.
> What are you going to do/report/ect after this?
<Seira> Report to the Guard about the location of the dead ghouls only
<Seira> And, well, confirm that actual ghouls exist and tell the Guard not to send people without proper preparation
<Lyselle> And report the whole thing with gold chains and weirdness to Oberuth.
<Seira> Yeah, but that's tomorrow
<Seira> I'd actually like to report to him after talking to the transmuted sword guy
> Okay. They'll get the first two without incident - the chopped up one and the one that Mr. Rapier left lying there. The guard'll note they find a gold chain with the first one, too. The report'll be tomorrow.
> I'd prefer to have you guys meet first solely so that we can dualroom/task this if needed.
> So yeah, okay, go rest up and get your spells in order/ponder stuff to do/ask and so on.

These aren't normally pasted, but they're needed to make sense in this case.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

---Small split path, Seira and Lyselle going to do some questioning.---

> The noon hour is still too early after a busy night. The inn so chosen is secluded, only the sound of a lamb bleating at the butchery next door of any note. Inside you find an fresh faced woman manning a small front desk, whistling. "Oh hello there, what can I do for you?"
<Seira> "We are looking for a man staying here," Seira says, quickly describing him in a few sentences. "Does he happen to be here at the moment?"
> "Oh him! Second floor!" Her eyes perk up, "Coming and going at all hours! I would imagine he's asleep now, but you can try. Room 224."
* Lyselle just offers a faint and pleasent expression, not doing the talking, but today doubly armed with her longsword around towards her back.
<Seira> "Thank you," she says, and heads up the stairs.
* Lyselle follows Seira, looking around out of curiousity.
> It's a quiet inn. While you can still smell a bit of the bloody-rich scent of the butchery, the air is largely pleasant and it's quiet. Up to that room you go, the door closed and no one in the hall. Only a nearby window lets in sunlight, at the very end ofthe hall.
* Seira walks up to room 224 and knocks on the door twice.
> There is nary a pause but a sharp, "Enter!"
* Seira enters!
* Lyselle follows in, but stays closer to the door.
> Inside is a spartan inn room. A wood chair and straw bed, the window cracked open. A small rill of sunlight comes in, landing on chair and sitter. The man with the wide hat is there, face hidden and shadowed by it as he looks out. "Oh yes. It's good to see that you've come to daybreak safely, my friends."
<Seira> "Thank you, and likewise," Seira responds. "As we expected, here we are to ask you several questions about those ghouls."
> He looks out at the sunshine, turning. As he does his hat mvoes up a bit, eyes squinted. "Go on."
* Seira withdraws the golden chain from a pocket and lets it dangle catching a stray beam of sunlight on it briefly. "We can read the script, but no more than that. Would you happen to know more about its purpose or symbolism?"
> "May I see it again?" he asks, looking to Seira and then glancing to Lyselle. "Come in, sit on the bed if you wish. Save your strength for the night."
* Seira rolls her eyes at his words, but does as he suggests anyway.
* Lyselle just leans into the doorframe, giving the man a wry smile and a small snicker. "Thanks for the offer, but we do have to keep working today."
> "Heh," He doesn't quite smile, keeping his mouth shut. He licks his lips after, reading silently. "Mmm. Yes, I do know. I believe it's the markings of a burial church?" He makes a great show of thinking, pondering. "Yes. It originated with Kelemvor, but other dieties and faiths use the same tradition at times. A priest of Kelemvor, Helm, Ilmater, Lathander or others could all do as such."
<Seira> "My knowledge does not extend towards their practices," Seira says with a touch of regret creeping in. "Would a necromancer belonging to one of their perishes use such a relic in the creation of ghouls?"
> "That sounds like an oxymoron." With a small smile there, "The chain has no magic that I know of. Once the body is dead and the soul is gone, it's as good as any to be twisted into undeath. But no, they wouldn't. If for no other reason that the idea of a necromancer using a Celestial engraved bracelet in such a ritual is unlikely."
<Seira> "I see," Seira says slowly. "Of those listed, our city only has the church of Helm, I believe. Therefore, it stands to reason that the necromancer is preying on their burial grounds, wouldn't you agree?"
> "I would think so." A small nod there, "I would be wary, day or night. An undead confronted during the day may try to summon all of it's power to quickly defeat it's foes before any of it's disadvantages can come into play."
* Seira shows off one of her newly-bought silver-tipped arrows. "Now that we know what we face, we are better prepared."
> "Good." A quick smile, feral and vicious, shows on his face before he pulls the brim of his hat down. "I am also recalling there are others searching the city now?"
<Seira> "That was inevitable. We are trying to discourage vigilantes, but grown ups set on making a quick fortune often act as spoiled children."
> "Heh, the one I have briefly met - a young lad with a sword too big for his brain - does not inspire confidence. I would not put stock in him, but one as fanatical as he appears to be is likely unavoidable."
* Lyselle just nods, listening to the conversation, but generally stay aware of the hallway and just absorbing information.
> The hallway is still quite empty.
<Seira> "You seem to know what you're doing, so I see no need to give you the same speech the adventurers received," Seira tells the man, "but I sincerely hope that you would come to us with any relevant information about the necromancer or his base. We are, after all, after the same thing here."
> "Of course," He nods, looking back out at the small beam of sunshine that works into his room. "Don't get yourselves killed."
<Seira> "Likewise, Mister...?" Seira trails off expectedly, her unsaid question clear.
> "Oh, I apologize. Febras."
* Lyselle laughs a little, but nods. "THe best of luck in avoiding consumption, Mr. Febras."
<Seira> "Seira," she reciprocates. "May this threat be behind us soon." Seira stands up, then. "Have a good day."
> "You was well," He nods, looking out and away as you go...OOC - Doing anything else here?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> The noon hour gets two fresh eyed, healed cadets. Berlioz feels better after a day of sleep and being tended to, while Shamal feels as good as ever. Commander Oberuth meets them in the same quiet, wooden room as always. But he looks tired, a meaty hand holding back a large yawn. "Feeling better?" Oberuth asks right off, as they sit down.
<Berlioz> "Definitely", Berlioz nods.
> "Now then, to matters at hand. You two have been out of circulation the last few days, so...two nights ago, strange blood splatters were found over the city. Last night, on patrols, walking corpses were encountered. Rumors of a vampire or necromancer run rampant."
<Shamal> "We've heard the rumours," Shamal frowns a bit. "But undead really are in the city, then?"
* Berlioz shakes his head. "The lunatic we meet that day was right, then."
> "..yes. Big silver greatsword?" At this, the Commander sighs and rubs his temple. "Guards reported seeing him roaming the streets most of the night, fervently looking for 'undeath and vampires' But yes, we recovered three defeated bodies last night."
<Shamal> "I hope said bodies had been deceased before meeting our friend, there..." Shamal notes unhappily.
> "They were. Lyselle and SEira defeated two, and another man defeated a third." Again rubbing his temple, "One via a mace to the head, one via arrows and mace, and the third we can't figure out what. Each had a gold chain on them."
<Shamal> "Magic?" the witch asks expectantly.
> "No. Just chains." Rising, he takes a golden chain from his pocket. "The writing's Celestial, from what I understand. Here."
* Berlioz picks it up before Shamal, curiosity rising. "Hm."
* Shamal can't read Celestial anyway, so makes no move to collect it.
* Berlioz looks for the inscribed writings in the chain. "Maybe I can recognize this."
> The inscription reads:  'May those of the light watch over the soul as it leaves this mortal vessel.'
* Berlioz scratches his head, squinting his eyes. "... either this is a rather silly double-entendre or the maker of these chains got his intentions horribly misshapen. Why would a revenant...", he pauses, scoffing a bit.
<Shamal> "What's it say?" Shamal asks curiously.
<Berlioz> "'May those of the light watch over the soul as it leaves this mortal vessel'. Sounds quite different from somebody turning into a zombie and shopping for live flesh in the middle of the night", Berlioz remarks.
> "It sounds churchy," Commander Oberuth observes.
<Shamal> "Perhaps the chains were placed there as a simple blessing for the deceased - it could be a clue as to where our necromancer is getting the bodies from," Shamal posits. "We could ask Al-Lamar if the blessing is familiar to him."
> "I can summon him - he helped the guards last night, but he should be risen and refreshed now," The commander offers.
<Shamal> "The input of a priest is always useful where the undead are concerned," Shamal affirms with a smile.
> "Then..." Oberuth gets up, exiting out for a few minutes...
> Soon the Commander returns. REturning with him is a man with dark skin, as if burnished in the flames of war. He wears a breastplate and chainmail connected to greaves, face still clean and young. While his eyes are bloodshot, his posture and bearing are rigid and true. "Sirs," he bows respectfully to each as he enters. "I heard your group came to much success last night. May Tempus continue to watch over you."
<Shamal> "Sadly we were not involved," Shamal demurs, "Berlioz and Rin were sick and I was watching over them. But we have heard about Seira and Lyselle's exploits."
> "They are blessed, then," His eyes widen while he smiles, a grim little thing. "I did not have the fortune to encounter one of the creatures myself."
* Berlioz raises up his hand and reveals the chain hidden in-between his fingers. "Excuse me, sir. Do you know about this strange little trinket?"
> Al-Lamar goes to it, looking it over. "Hmm..."
> roll 1d20+7
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+7 and gets 17." [1d20=10]
> "A burial chain?" He frowns a moment, "Yes, I've seen them. The church of Helm in this town uses them."
* Shamal claps her hands together, smiling widely. "Then we have our lead - all of the undead seen last night were wearing these chains. It stands to reason that this is where the Necromancer is performing his vile acts," she summarises for the viewers at home.
> "Then we go stomp it out!" Al-Lamar says with quick conviction.
> At this, the Commander raises his hand up, pacifying. "If that is, yes, we will deal with this on a slow, careful basis. If we can pin them down, intelligent action will win the day."
<Shamal> "We can start simply by asking the clergy at the temple if anything unusual has occured around there recently," Shamal posits. "It gives us something to work from beyond just waiting for the undead to shamble onto the streets."
> "Do that. Al-Lamar, go to the second detachment of guards and begin preparations, just in case. Berlioz and and SHamal, meet back up with Lyselle and Seira and investigate."
* Berlioz nods blankly. "Certainly, commander."
> The two groups meet ouside the garrison. The trip to Helm's temple is without incident. It's a tall building near the front gates, it's own watertower and high walls. A pair of acolytes in chain mail stand vigilant guard at the grand doors inside. A few people come and go...
<Seira> "I propose approaching the clergy directly," Seira says once they are there.
* Berlioz taps his foots nonchalantly with a snicker. "As long as it's not too brutally so. Dealing with clergy isn't exactly a straight railroad. We might not want to be too blunt, after all."
<Seira> "If our working theory is correct, they themselves might be in great danger. Should they not be warned?"
<Shamal> "No reason not to," Shamal nods, approaching the guards. "Excuse me, we're here to see the head cleric," she begins, her crimson guard insignia prominently displayed on her attire.
<Lyselle> "Helm's people aren't known to be oily," Lyselle informs Berlioz, shrugging a little before following Shamal.
> A bow, "Sir Arbach is currently away on business of the faith. Watchman Karl is the acting head in his place." The acolyte doesn't break his posture, "What business do you have with him?"
<Seira> "Official Guard business," Seira tells him, before asking again, "May we see the Watchman, then?"
> A nod at this, "Go inside." The two open the gates, calling forth, "Visitors from the guard to see Watchman Karl!" Ahead is a hall, the sound echoing. It's stately and serious, an open place of worship. No pews or seats, just an altar and lots of free space. There are some works of religious art on the wall, however.
* Seira ignores the religious art, proceeding inside.
* Shamal walks inside with Rin padding along beside her as she looks around for said Watchman.
* Lyselle just crosses her arms, walking inside and taking a look around, mostly at the art, sicne she won't do much talking, and is rather here to be informed about what she might need to kill in the near future. Or re-kill, that's always a possibility.
* Berlioz follows silently, somewhat awkward regarding the interiors.
> At the altar a short man waits. He stands at perfect vigliance, wearing a cloth robe with chainmail clearly visible underneath. He bristled with a beard still not yet shot with gray, not quite to middle age yet. "I bid you welcome to the House of Helm. If your hearts have been true to your duties, come before Helm."
* Seira doesn't let this vague warning stop her as she approaches. "Watchman Karl?" she asks.
<Shamal> "It is our duties that bring us here today, Watchman," Shamal adds in, deferring to Seira to handle the talking. She actually fought the undead, after all.
> "I am he. Speak." He goes from the altar, coming around. While short, he's in good shape and has a spring to his step. A heavy warmace hangs at his side.
<Seira> "Do you know of the plague of undead assailing Balmuria these past few nights, Sir?" she asks him, cutting to the chase.
> "I have heard of it." He nods grimly, face settling into a serious scowl. "Need you aid?"
<Seira> "Perhaps we will, soon," she agrees. "But we are here because these have been found on every slain ghoul, tied to their legs." She shows the Watchman the golden chain once more. "Do you recognize this, Sir?"
> He takes it, eyes going wide. "...I do. I do know it so well. I placed one on a corpse on it's final rites a mere week ago!"
<Seira> "Our theory has been proven right, then, it seems," Seira continues calmly. "We believe that a fell necromancer is using Helm's burial grounds to raise his army of ghouls."
> The deep rumbling of rage from him makes his entire frame quake. "...How DARE they...no less, when our leaders gifted with the magic of Helm are away. Blasphemy!" He snarls and swears, fist banging into his thigh.
<Seira> "We require guidance to your burial grounds, and help with inspecting them," Seira asks of the man. "Also, I would like to ask for your permission as the acting head of the temple to stake them out, if it proves necessary."
> "Done." He nods quickly, going back to the altar. HE comes back with a plain silver key, undecorated. "This will open the gates."
<Seira> "Equip the guards with silver, if at all possible, Sir," Seira suggests, taking the key. "Or maces," she adds, with a glance at Lyselle.
> "Yes..." He nods a moment, clutching the chain. "...also. This bracelet...I must ask of you a favor."
<Lyselle> "Maces have worked plenty well on the ghouls so far, I'd suggest silver for good measure, though," Lyselle nods, solemnly offering her professional opinion as a brainer.
* Seira nods at Lyselle, before saying, "Yes, Sir?"
> "We would be grateful if you returned any chains recovered from undead to us. We will compensate you for this if you desire." He nods once, grave.
> "Another seeks the Watchman!" The guards cry asy ou hear the great doors open behind you.
* Seira nods, this time at the priest. "We currently have two in our possession. As they are your property, they shall be returned to your temple."
<Shamal> "We're civil servants, not adventurers," Shamal interjects with a light chuckle.
> "I thank you. But do not feel bound to refuse the money fo-?" HE stops, looking behind you. "I bid you welcome to the House of Helm. If your heart has been true to your duty, come before Helm."
* Shamal glances back a moment to see who else is visiting.
* Berlioz glances as well.
> Donald strides in, back lugging his silver greatsword along. He stops as he sees Shamal and Berlioz, "...hm? We meet again?"
> "You'll have to wait. We are discussion important matters," Watchman Karl clears his throat, "I apologize."
* Berlioz snickers and muses lightly to himself. Bad news travel far, you could say... and it applies for both parties, most likely.
<Shamal> "Hello," Shamal nods in greeting with a smile. "Don't worry, we won't be much longer, though I suspect our reasons for being here may be similar."
> "Are you after the..." He begins, scowling a bi.t "If they're here about the graveyard, that's what I'm here for!" Thrusting his hand out, you see a gold chain in his hand.
> "I see." WAtchman Karl rumbles. "Yes, that isone of ours. Would you please return it?"
> So the chain is handed back, a nod. "The city guard is on matters well already. Are you with them?"
<Shamal> "He seems very devoted, if nothing else," Shamal vouches for the strange newcomer. "And he gave us these lucky charms!" she holds up said supposedly undead repelling item.
> "Well then." The chain is pocketed away, "You have the key. Go on as you wish."
<Seira> "Your acquaintance with the really big sword seems quite friendly," Seira mentions casually as she asks the Watchman for directions to the graveyard.
> "The graveyard is deeper in, closer to the east wall. It has a wrought iron gate around it, and it's mostly a large masoleum." Watchman Karl informs the party.
> *deeperin the city
* Seira bows at the man in gratitude, and turns to head there, following his instructions.
> "Are you going," Donald asks as Seira starts to go. "Let me go with you if you are!"
<Shamal> "We can call you a citizen collaborator," Shamal agrees brightly. "Um... there's no pay or anything, though," she hastily adds.
<Seira> "Since Shamal vouches for you, you may as well come," Seira allows.
> "The pay doesn't matter. I'm here on my own will, not to chase coins! I'm not some greedy travelaround that goes after these things for gold!" At this he crosses his arms, looking offended.
* Berlioz bites his lips for a moment, and folds his arms. "Well, you are definitely dedicated to a cause, I must say."
<Lyselle> "Then just try to be helpful and don't go charging," Lyselle suggests, ruffling the boy's hair and heading on behind Seira.
<Shamal> "That's the spirit!" the blonde witch agrees happily, patting his back. "You'll get free healing if you suffer any wounds in the course of duty, at least."
> Donald blushes but quickly follows to match Seira's pace, muttering to himself.
<Afina> Forever.