(Arc 4-4) Pride, duty, and a granted SU power? Cooooooool!

Started by Anastasia, March 21, 2007, 03:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

> So the party searches and so forth. After atime they are together again, the next move theirs! OOC - As I say, ball's in your court. Go ahead and do what you want/move on/whatever.
<Seira> "We should check in with the Watchman once more," Seira suggests, after locking the gate.
* Berlioz folds his arms and nods. "I guess."
<Shamal> "Yes, let's stop by the temple and then see about getting some more men to watch this place in case the necromancer or more undead return," Shamal agrees, idly petting Rin who still appears somewhat spooked and unsettled.
> The trip back to the temple is without incident. While the afternoon is starting to wear on when you breath in the fresh air of Balmuria's streets, you reach the Temple of Helm once more. Inside the gates are open, two score men in arms and armor gathering therein.
<Shamal> "Something tells me this isn't just the afternoon sermon..." Shamal mutters as they step inside, looking about for the Watchman they saw earlier.
<Kotono> The watchman is at the altar, bristling. He's preaching to the gathered, voice carrying loud. "...allow such defilation! The Gods will weep at us while scoring our lack of attention! Our leader leaves for a soujourn and vile tragedy comes!"
<Kotono> "Men at arms! Those loyal to the Gods..." So he goes on, quite irate.
* Seira steps forward, trying to catch the man's attention.
* Shamal decides to let Seira field this one, not really wanting to interrupt when he seems so enthusiastic.
* Lyselle just smiles a little to herself, quickly smothering the expression. This could be sincerely anti-climactic, though they'll still probably search the whole place.
<Kotono> "Now then..." he goes on, but stops as Seira is viewed. "Members of the guard, how went it?"
<Kotono> The few dozen men turn, some attention given to the four heroes and one adventurer.
<Berlioz> "Chaotic", Berlioz coughs.
<Seira> "Well," she tells him. "May we speak to you in private?"
<Kotono> "Very well." He nods briefly, going and leading the party into a small side room. It looks used for absolutions and confessions, quiet and with heavy oak benches.
<Seira> "I see you intend to gather up men to guard the final resting place of Helm's followers?" she says, making it a question.
<Kotono> "Yes," He nods tersely, "It is a direct failing of ours that we allowed our guards down in such a crucial way."
<Seira> "This is admirable," she tells him. "We found more of the ghouls there, as well as what our friend called an Abomination. For now, we are fairly confident none remain on the grounds, but that may well change if the place is left unguarded."
<Kotono> roll 1d20+7
<Reikobot> Kotono rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{20}
<Shamal> "It was clearly a trap," Shamal interjects. "A voice lured us to the lower level, after which the ghouls cut off our escape... unless we could have left via that warded door. We did not try."
<Seira> "Yes, the warded door," Seira picks up smoothly. "What does it guard against?"
<Kotono> "An..." The churchman's eyes go wide at that, "I thank you greatly for your services. There will not be another undeath that sets foot in our sacred masoleum-?" He stops at Shamal's words, "The warded door? A door with blue and white runes in the basement?"
<Shamal> "That's the one," the blonde nods.
<Kotono> "It's where we hold those that die in the highest esteem of Helm. Was the seal broken?"
<Seira> "I do not believe so," Seira says, glancing at Shamal.
* Shamal shakes her head. "I am no expert in such things, but there was magic still lingering on the door."
<Berlioz> "Although... it's at least vaguely suspicious that those kinds of creatures could hang around in a sacred mausoleum, wouldn't you think?", Berlioz sighs and remarks, leaning on the tree.
<Kotono> "Thank Helm." A bow of the Watchman's head, "While it is a sacred tomb, it's protections rely on the faith of those that would respect it. If a vile blight came to it with power...I am sad to say you have seen that and our own failings combine."
<Seira> "Could you check the ward, and whether it would hold against assault from within the lower chamber?"
<Kotono> "I can," he nods once more. "I shall as soon as we are ready to go guard the tomb once more."
<Seira> "How many of those held in Helm's highest esteem were entombed within?" Seira asks the man. "And were they placed there with they weapons?"
<Kotono> "Four. They were buried with some effects, yes." A nod, as he thinks, the short man, "Why?"
<Seira> "If the chamber has been breached, those effects became the property of our enemy. We must be able to properly assess their strength."
<Shamal> "It does bear investigating," Shamal nods her assent.
<Kotono> "We shall." Now ready to go, the Watchman starts to go, "But first...I feel that you deserve our temple's blessing and reward."
<Kotono> Donald hangs back during all of this, wiping his forehead and leaning against a back wall.
<Kotono> The Watchman briefly leaves the room, soon coming back with two men at arms. They bear several sacks, each one large.
* Shamal looks somewhat uncomfortable at the sight of the large sacks. "We were merely doing our duty," she demurs, not wanting to accept any sort of large gift from a taxpayer simply for doing what she's paid to do anyway. Much as she needs the money.
<Kotono> "If you wish, each of you may take a sack." The Watchman nods at Shamal's words. "Three hundred gold coins are in each. It is a lot of money, but we are grateful to those that do not shirk their duty."
* Berlioz blinks and awkwardlynudges his collar. "It's... very flattering, but I'm not sure it would be acceptable within our ethics code..."
* Shamal nods. "I cannot speak for everyone - and Donald here is not actually a member of the guard - but I'd prefer if you used my share to continue the temple's good works in the city," she offers as gracefully as she can.
<Kotono> Donald murmurs something that sounds like a, "Yeah...", but he's being quiet and withdrawn.
<Kotono> "As you wish." The guardian nods, then looks to Lyselle and Seira.
* Seira contemplates this. "I'll gratefully accept the gift," she tells the man. "To fight the undead more effectively, I require more magical knowledge than I currently possess."
<Kotono> "Then take a bag," The Watchman nods once, one of the men bringing it to Seira.
* Seira nods, and takes the proffered bag.
<Kotono> It's quite heavy with gold coins. Ooof. Meanwhile, "What of you," he asks, gaze on Lyselle now.
* Lyselle ducks her head somewhat, stepping forward wtih Seira. "Likewise, my back up weapon for use against undead is...less than ideal, I'll endeavor to use the gold for the effort agaisnt such monsters," she offers.
<Kotono> The second bag if gold is given, as...
<Kotono> roll 1d100
<Reikobot> Kotono rolled : 1d100 --> [ 1d100=84 ]{84}
<Kotono> roll 1d100
<Reikobot> Kotono rolled : 1d100 --> [ 1d100=51 ]{51}
<Kotono> roll 1d100
<Reikobot> Kotono rolled : 1d100 --> [ 1d100=60 ]{60}
<Shamal> "Ahh..." Shamal's eyes widen a moment, looking around in vague surprise. "What was that?"
* Berlioz shakes his head and blinks incessantly for a moment. The bard coughs faintly, putting the hand in his chest, and breathes deeply. "... this is... strange."
<Kotono> "What is it?" The Watchman asks, looking on at both of them.
<Shamal> "Is this Helm's blessing?" the blonde asks weakly, tilting her head back and looking upwards.
* Berlioz nudges a bit and raises his head slightly. "Quite an unusual feeling, I must say."
<Kotono> Donald grunts once, suddenly perking up. "Another is mine." he murmurs, eyes clearing.
* Berlioz also coughs for a moment, and raises his eyes a bit, as if he heard something. "..."
<Kotono> The Watchman stops, staring in surprise, but not seeing to be able to say anything. He tries to speak, but strangely, no sound comes from his mouth.
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+4
<Reikobot> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=16 ]{20}
<Shamal> "Oh, um... this feels somewhat awkward, but not unpleasant," Shamal evidences a somewhat silly smile for a second before she schools her expression into something more prim. "I do hope the Forest Queen doesn't object, if nothing else. I'll need to pray extra hard, tonight."
* Berlioz bites his lips and mulls over his thoughts for a moment. "... this is definitely strange. I... might have to ponder a few things over."
<Kotono> The Watchman's eyes go wider, licking his lips. "Lord...Lord Helm..." he breathes out, kneeling. The two men at arms do the same, fervent. Lyselle and Seira feel something as well, passing. Something majestic and grand, uplifting.
* Seira raises an eyebrow.
* Lyselle lifts both eyebrows, rather sharply as she lifts a second sack of gold, looking both perplexed and nervous. "If this is Helm's insistence..." she murmurs quietly.
* Seira bears the deity no malice, either! "Lord Helm wanted me to have more money," she tells the assorted clergy. "It was very kind of him."
<Kotono> "I..he has spoken to me," he nods once more, "He said the same, and...chastied me for our failings." The Watchman gets up quickly, "I am sorry, but we must go now. We have been negligant too long." His face is drawn and pale, making a quick exit out.
* Seira shrugs, and takes the money, pondering a new, better bow.
<Shamal> "The Vigilant One is very generous," Shamal allows, still somewhat surprised. "I'm just..." she shakes her head after a moment, "I'm sure Mielikki will not begrudge this."
<Kotono> "Heh," Donald smirks, "Good timing. I was getting sick and I didn't even realise it. Damned ghouls."
* Berlioz covers his mouth with a backpalm, grimly glaring as the man leaves. "This is somewhat eerie. I think we'd best leave."
<Seira> "Waukeen must approve," Seira decides, ignoring Berlioz's words as her newly-developed tendency goes. "So, what would be our next move?"
<Kotono> "Rest? I think we're all tired and I assume you have other duties?" Donald suggests.
<Shamal> "Yes, we should report our findings to our commander," Shamal nods. "Don't be afraid to look us up if you find any more clues yourself, Donald!" she offers with a smile.
<Seira> "Rest, yes. But I am not quite willing to leave this alone, and the Commander gave this mission to us. It supersedes all other duties."
<Berlioz> "That, and we don't have the vitality and cheerfulness to hunt ghouls all day. We could even return tomorrow, but we shouldn't jump through steps."
<Lyselle> "I need to replace my longsword," Lyselle nods, musing to herself.
<Seira> "We could also check in with those kids and see if we find new information," she says to Lyselle.
<Shamal> "Berlioz is right," Shamal nods. "Rin and I would struggle if we had to endure another battle like the last one. We should report in so that the rest of the guard can be made aware, and rest so we'll be fresh for the next encounter with the walking dead."
* Lyselle nods to Seira, stretching. "Rest first, then we can interrogate the children and their 'castle'," she murmrus, humming.
<Shamal> "Castle?" Shamal asks curiously, not being privy to any details about children and interrogations thereof.
<Seira> "We believe a group of children may have witnessed the ghouls," Seira elaborates. "Perhaps, they can even tell us about the necromancer, if we are lucky."
<Seira> "And if that fails, perhaps our other... friend," she adds, glancing at Lyselle again, "will have something fresh to share with us tomorrow morning."
<Shamal> "Then let's look them up after we report back to the commander," Shamal nods decisively. "Maybe he might have heard more from other guards during the day as well. It doesn't look like these undead are very shy."
* Berlioz nods. "It's a refreshing change of pace from struggling against ghouls and ghosts, anyhow."
* Seira nods. "I agree. Also, it bears considering that the catacombs were not the necromancer's base after all, if he was willing to use it as a trap and then let us leave without showing himself."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

> After a night of rest the party gathers to check out an abandoned house. In the morning you have to sidesteps carts of goods and citydwellers, the abandoned house easily neglected as people bustle past it. But even as you approach, you notice that a few children are playing around it.
* Seira decides to approach the children, her Guard outfit easily visible.
* Lyselle follows behind the elfling, smiling and offeringa warm expression to try and keep the children at ease.
* Berlioz breathes and remains a somewhat healthy distance between himself and his companions - enough to be easily spotted by the others, but also enough to be away from the children.
* Shamal hangs back a little, not having met these children, but still projects a friendly and reassuring presence as looks around, Rin padding along docilely at her heel.
> It's four of them, all young boys. They're running around with toy sticks, fake fencing. "Hiyaaah!" one cries, as the playing stops. "Um..." The children pause a moment, "Hi! Um, are you in the guard? Are those guard uniforms?"
* Seira observes the children before her head dips briefly. "Do you want to join the Guard, too, when you grow up?" she asks them.
> "Yeah!" One nods, making a few swipes with his toy sword. Another nods more restraedly, as a third has his eyes drawn towards Rin. "Doggie..." he murmurs.
<Shamal> "You can pet her - she's friendly," Shamal encourages, briefly scratching said canine behind the ears but content to follow Seira's lead on this.
> The child reaches out, eyes bright if glazed as he goes to Rin. "Nice doggie...?"
<Seira> "Would you like to help the Guard now, without having to wait years until you can officially join?" she asks the boy with the toy sword.
* Shamal looks down a moment at the child's glazed eyes, wondering if there's something wrong with them or if he's just overwhelmed by the sight of her awesome dog.
> "Sure!" Another nods quickly. "You mean we can help you?"
<Seira> "We would like that, too," she says. "Have you been playing here this past week?"
> "We always play around here," one says with as mile, "It's our base and garrison!" Meanwhile, the other is trying to climb into Rin, giggling. "Cute doggie horsie!"
<Shamal> "Er, she's not meant to be ridden..." Shamal blushes a bit even as Rin takes the treatment with good grace, the blonde trying to gently usher the child off her dog.
<Seira> "Do you sometimes sneak out at night, too?" Seira asks the children.
> The last one pauses at this, "Um...are we going to get in trouble?"
<Seira> "No," she tells them categorically. "We failed to patrol the area several nights, recently, and knowing someone did it for us after all would be very helpful."
> "I did!" The last agrees quickly, "I did it!"
<Seira> "We need to know who was out on the streets at night," she tells the boy. "Like I said, it is very important. Could you let us know?"
> "Not many, it was scary. Just...well..." A pause, the child licking his ilps. "Um...ther ewas one person..."
<Shamal> "Scary?" Shamal inquires, "What did you see that was scary?"
> "There was a ...a..." The kidl ooks around, "I really won't get in trouble?"
<Seira> "Why do you think you would get in trouble?" she asks him.
> "Well...there were...things! Those scary things that smelled bad." The last kid nods quickly, "We were supposed to stay in side..."
<Seira> "It would be better to stay inside for a while as we take care of those scary things," Seira agrees, "but you can't be punished for helping the Guard, now can you?"
> "Well...there was a thing...it was scary so I hid. It went into an alley, and a little while later I saw a man with a hat on."
<Shamal> "At the same alley?" Shamal asks to clarify.
> A nod t othat. "He went into it."
<Seira> "What happened next?"
> "He came back a little later and left," The child says, as meanwhile poor Rin is hugged and ridden.
<Seira> "Can you describe the man or his clothing?" Seira asks of the boy. "And tell us when and where exactly this happened?"
<Shamal> Rin is not ridden! Shamal lifts the kid off Rin. "She's not meant to be ridden," she repeats gently. "Just pet her, like this," she demonstrates, stroking the german shepherd's coarse fur.
> "It was over there!" The child points to a nearby alley, "It was a few daysa go and um, it was really dark in the middle of the night."
* Seira correlates this with her knowledge of the attacks that took place in the city.
> There was an attack around this area, yes. You investigated it.
<Seira> "Can you tell me more about the man, beside his hat?" Seira asks then. "Did he have a weapon with him?"
> A pause and then a nod. "One of those funny swords, like he has!" A point to Berlioz and his silver rapier. "The skinny ones."
<Seira> "Did he say anything? Do anything? Either before entering the alley or after leaving it?"
> He walked and he looked around a little," The child adds after amoment of thought. "He moved really fast."
<Seira> "And no one else appeared in the area?"
> A shake of his head after. "No one else, sir."
* Seira nods. "Thank you, you've been very helpful."
> "Thanks!" The child nods, "So it did help?"
* Seira nods once more. "The Guard thanks you."
<Shamal> "I think so," Shamal nods, before looking down at her dog, "Say goodbye to the nice little boy, Rin," prompting a happy bark from the dog before they turn to leave. "Shall we check out the alley, then?"
* Seira glances at the others. "We should probably make another stop first," she tells Shamal. "Lyselle and I did investigate the scene."
* Berlioz nods blankly to himself as he sees the group returning. "Anything of note?"
<Seira> "Perhaps," Seira says, and turns to Lyselle. "Fancy talking to our friend once more?"
<Shamal> "Lead on, then," the blonde demurs readily.
* Lyselle nods, humming softly to herself. "It doesn't quite line up with any of what we saw tonight, but it's unlikely the children lied..." she muses, nodding to Seira. "It might be good to interrogate him further, perhaps."
<Seira> "That man, Donald, claimed he was chasing a vampire into the town, didn't he?" Seira muses out loud.
<Shamal> "That's what he said," Shamal confirms.
<Seira> "Interesting...."
> The Dawn Pointe inn is quiet, the butchery  nearby smelling of blood and charnel. But inside the inn you just find one woman at front, sewing a quilt and yawning.
* Shamal politely leaves Rin waiting outside as she follows Seira and Lyselle into the establishment.
* Seira approaches the woman and asks her whether Mr. Febras is in.
> "Hm?" She yawns vastly, "Yes, I think so. He's always coming and going, but I think he came in around an hour ago."
<Seira> "Could you tell us where he was yesterday, around--" Seira asks, giving them time they went to visit Helm's temple and all the way till their return from the graveyard.
> "I think he was out..." Another yawn, the woman looking quite tired, nearly slumping over on her quiltwork. "Yes, I think he was...out."
* Seira nods and proceeds to his room.
> The walk is quiet and the hallway sunny at the end. The door is closed as per usual.
* Seira knocks on the door!
> "Enter." Febras's voice carries easily, an invitation given.
* Seira enters, and glances at her own shadow to confirm its presence.
> Inside Febras sits at the window. His hat is pushed back a bit, sunlight coming in. The window is halfway open, his eyes mostly squinted close in the light.
> There is indeed a shadow that you see.
* Seira moves her eyes towards where his shadow would be, before raising them to meet his.
> You can see a hint of green in his eyes, but most of them are hidden. He reaches up as if to bring down his hat, but considers and instead slowly pops his fingers, brushing across a ring he wears. "Yes? How goes your searching?"
<Seira> "Very well, thank you," Seira responds. "But we have more questions, now."
> "Go on," he murmurs, glancing at Shamal and Berlioz. "Ah yes. Do go on now. You brought friends?"
<Shamal> "I don't believe I've had the pleasure," Shamal smiles, though privately wondering a bit at who this is and what he knows. "Shamal Velka," she introduces herself.
<Seira> "I needed backup," she affirms. "Questioning is very strenuous work."
> He rises at this, a short bow to Shamal. "Charmed to meet all of you," he says, eyes glinting before he sits back down. "Now then, go on."
<Seira> "It just so happens that you have been implicated in other ghoul-related incidents," Seira tells the man. "We would like to hear all about your exploits since you came to Balmuria, if it is not too much trouble."
> "I've looked around the city a few nights," he demurs simply, looking back out to the sunray streaked morning. "They are not difficult to defeat one on one, as I assume you have found out?"
<Seira> "We did, yes!" Seira agrees. "We even defeated them under worse odds when we were ambushed!"
> "Oh?" he turns, looking the party over. "You look none the worse for wear, so I assume you were quite victorious?"
* Berlioz sighs. "Not that excitingly victorious."
<Seira> "Oh, certainly." She smiles at him. "Unfortunately, as one of the few people who knew about our actions I'm afraid I must ask you again about your recent activities. I'm sure you understand."
> "Well, you live here. That's good enough." His gaze is out the window, squinting again. "I've walked the streets. I've battled one a s you saw."
<Seira> "Just one?" she asks him.
> "Just one." Febras confirms simply.
<Seira> "What if I told you someone saw you with another ghoul?" she asks curiously.
> To this Febras doesn't even pause. "I'd say it's a case of mistaken identity and little else." He doesn't even turn - well, he does al ittle, just the corner of his eyes visible.
<Seira> "If you were in our situation, what would you do?"
> "What a silly question." He turns and smiles just a bit, away from the sunshine. "I'd consider where I was, what I was doing and if it was productive or not.  I'm afraid I also know that I know little else to help you with as it stands right now, so I can only waste your time and hope you do well in stopping them."
<Seira> "It would make me very happy if you could come with us and lend us a hand at dispatching the rest of the ghouls," Seira tells the man. "That would be one way to help us."
> "If you wish," he sighs at last, after a pause. Febras stands, checking over his equipment - quiet dark clothes and his wide brimmed hat, a ring on his finger and a rapier at his belt. "You seem quite determined."
<Seira> "You are not the first to tell me that," she agrees.
> "Hmph." Looking to the party, "Well then, what is your plan?"
<Shamal> "We're taking on another citizen collaborator?" Shamal asks in surprise, clearly not having been privy to this plan.
* Retrieving #dunes modes...
<Seira> "Working with one had been interesting," Seira affirms. "Do you object?"
* Berlioz coughs. "That may be imprudent of our part. If anything happens to him, we'll be held responsible."
<Shamal> "I'll trust your judgement, though Berlioz makes a good point," Shamal replies.
<Seira> "I'll vouch for his skills," Seira offers. "The responsibility for this civillian would be mine."
> "I have no concerns for my own safety, let alone when I have four others with me," Febras seems unstirred completely, "I care not for this, as long as we go then and not waste any further time."
* Berlioz shrugs. "I'll be outside. The gentleman might want to prepare for this first", he remarks as he leaves.
* Seira shrugs. "The crypt it is, then? To check up on the seal?"
> "Very well," Febras nods once, "Crypt?"
<Shamal> "That or the temple itself - I'm sure the Watchman can tell us if he found it defiled," Shamal shrugs, feeling somewhat out of sorts at their new friend's presence.
> "What crypt?" Febras asks curiously.
* Berlioz stops outside the inn, away from the view of people, and chants a few mumbling words. "Detect Thoughts...", he lets out in a whisper.
> The spell triggers without incident.
<Seira> "We can fill you in on the way," Seira offers. "Ready to go?"
* Berlioz nods to himself, and steps back a bit, returning to Fedras' room. "So. Everything ready?"
> "Yes," Febras says, starting to go.
* Berlioz adjusts his monocle and coughs. "Well, then, let us go", the bard remarks, subtly scrying the gentleman's surface thoughts as he starts walking.
* Lyselle keeps out of the way of Berli's gaze, bringing up the rear of the group to follow the others out. She wasn't much of one for this innuendo-intrigue-suspicion stuff.
> So you walk out of the inn. As you do...
> roll 1d20+11
<Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{17}
> You can't make out his thoughts at all, however. So you go back to the masoleum grounds! Febras is quiet for the trip, often pulling his hat down and squinting in the sunshine. The air is cool and sea tipped, the masoleum now having four guarding it's gate, and several around the actual front entrance..
<Shamal> "Hello," Shamal greets the guards, glad to be back with something more familiar. "Has there been any trouble here since yesterday?"
> The guards stop a moment, before both nod. "No, it has been quiet. The Watchman is inside, he left instructions for you to come in if you wish."
<Seira> "We wish to enter," Seira says for their benefit, and attempts to do just that.
<Shamal> "Thank you," she nods pleasantly to both, starting to head inside with Rin in tow.
* Berlioz nods and bows silently, heading inside as well.
* Lyselle nods to the guard, following into the temple. Once more unto the breach...
> The inside has been cleaned up. Broken coffins have been removed, workers cleaning the floor. You're directed downstairs, to the rune covered door, where the watchman is. He's sitting in front of it, reading a heavy book and lost in concentration.
* Shamal coughs gently to get the Watchman's attention from behind.
> He starts a little bit, standing up quickly. "Ah. Oh. There you are," he says, grim and slightly glum. "I'm happy to tell you that the barrier has not been breeched."
> Febras hangs back, cap pushed up. He looks at the runes, smiling a little bit.
<Seira> "May I ask who set the barrier up in the first place?"
> "Our High Priest, whom is currently out of the city. I can't break the barrier myself," he admits plainly. "But all signs say that it isn't disturbed."
<Shamal> "But there's no way to be sure that what's behind hasn't been tampered with?" Shamal confirms thoughtfully.
<Seira> "When you entomb someone else beyond it, must your high priest tear it down and then recast it?" Seira asks curiously.
> "I doubt it very much!" The watchman says most seriously, "The door is solid and the runes ar emagical! He can have the spell fade on his command, of course."
> Febras snorts a little, still hanging back. "Do you think some bored lich is hiding behind paltry runes?" He lazily enquires, but chuckles after. "But if you wish to know, breaking down the wall would suffice. Otherwise, I daresay thatthey would be difficult to breech."
* Berlioz snickers. "That would defeat the point of the seal entirely, but yes."
<Seira> "Something certainly is hiding behind them," Seira responds. "Can you tell what it is, though?"
<Shamal> "It would be the perfect hiding place, when you think about it - who would suspect the undead to be hidden behind sacred wards after all?" Shamal comments idly, "But perhaps we're reaching. This place is our only real lead so far, sadly."
> "Then break the walls down," Febras smirks, amused, "It's just a holy barrier, after all."
> The Watchman shakes a bit at that, "By Helm's Guantlet, you aren't serious, are you? Do you truly believe that undeath has snuck behind the raw protections of Helm?"
* Shamal shakes her head, "No, I'm satisfied - certainly we don't have any sort of evidence to be defiling tombs over," she states firmly.
<Seira> "How are you at tracking things?" Seira suddenly asks Febras.
<Berlioz> "I wouldn't discard any possibility myself. I just think that crumbling a wall down might be more effort than it's worth. If undeads managed to scrape into the barrier, they certainly could scrape out", Berlioz remarks.
> "Tracking? I know a bit..." He smiles slowly, seeming to relish it. "What do you have in mind?"
<Shamal> "There are some indications that the necromancer had ghouls walking out of the crypt. Unfortunately the trail was too hard to follow by the time we got to it... it's been another day since then, too," Shamal fills in uncertainly.
> "It's unlikely, but...I could try," Febras shrugs a bit, pulling down his hat.
<Seira> "We appreciate it," Seira tells him.
* Shamal leads Febras outside and shows him where she saw the tracks start.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+10 beat 10 to aid another
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+10 beat 10 to aid another and gets 22." [1d20=12]
> roll 1d20+6
* Hatbot --> "Dungeon_Kotono rolls 1d20+6 and gets 15." [1d20=9]
> OOC - +2 more, Shamal?
<Shamal> OOC: yeah
> Febras goes to the tracks, kneeling down. Quite close, face hidden but near the ground indeed. About twenty seconds pass before he stands. "...hmph," he mutters, pulling his hat down and hiding his face.
<Seira> "There is another thing we should try," Seira voices then. "As our necromancer had been cut off from his supply of corpses, he is bound to turn to other graveyards. I believe we should alert the remaining clergy, and ascertain that none of their mausoleums had been disturbed so far."
<Shamal> "You okay, Rin?" Shamal asks quietly, hanging back and scratching her dog behind her ears.
> "Makes sense," Febras mutters, looking up to the sun briefly. "Lead on, then."
> Rin looks a little hesitant, but barks once.
<Seira> "Anything the matter, Shamal?" Seira asks.
<Shamal> "Don't know..." Shamal still looks a bit dubious, kneeling down a bit by the canine. "Something smell bad, Rin? Go find what it is!" she instructs quietly, letting Rin run loose to locate any unsavoury scents she may have picked up.
* Lyselle nods to Seira, frowning a bit. "We might want to post watches, maybe? With orders to not engage, since a single man has little chance against such a number of things as we encountered..."
> OOC - Make a tracking check here, Rin.
* Seira nods back at Lyselle. "Yes, and armed with silver for it to matter. I would suggest starting with Waukeen... though it seems we might have a little detour on our hands."
<Shamal> roll 1d20+7
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+7 and gets 14." [1d20=7]
> Rin sniffs, slowly coming towards Febras. She sniffs around and looks uncertain.
> Febras smiles a little bit, going and placing a hand on Rin's head. "Armed with silver couldn't hurt. Good dog..." he murmurs, stroking her head.
<Shamal> "Anyway, which temple shall we visit next, if we're going to start checking other graveyards?" Shamal asks, looking a bit uncertain herself.
<Seira> "Waukeen."
> "Very well," Febras says as he starts to walk. "Are you going to the temple or straight to the masoleum?"
<Shamal> "Okay, I'll catch up with you at the temple?" Shamal suggests, looking around a bit hesitantly. "I just want to check something..."
<Seira> "It has been days since the start of the incidents," Seira says with a grimace, "so informing the clergy and gaining their permission might be best."
> "I can go ahead to the masoleum. I passed it a few days ago." Febras shakes his head, "At worst I wait, at best I may prevent another desecration."
<Seira> "As you are a civillian working with us, and thus your safety is my responsibility, I would prefer that you not venture on your own, Mister Febras," Seira tells him. "Unless someone wishes to come with you as well?"
> "I care not, but if you insist." He shrugs again, uncaring as he waits.
* Berlioz scratches his head. "We might want to split our forces in this case. Two of us go to the mausoleum with Febras, the rest sticks to Waukeen?"
<Seira> "I can inform the temple on my own, if you and Lyselle want to go to the mausoleum," Seira tells Berlioz. "It seems Shamal is otherwise preoccupied at the moment."
> "Let us go then. On the way, could you tell me of what happened at the masoleum here? I have not heard the story yet."
> Febras turns towards the street, pulling his hat down again.
<Shamal> "I'll catch up with you shortly, Seira," Shamal promises, trying to drift away from the others.
<Seira> "No problem," she responds with a nod, heading for a temple she knows well, for a change.
* Berlioz nods to Seira blankly. "Fine with me, I believe. Let us go, Lyselle?", the bard bobs his head, heading after Febras afterwards.
* Lyselle nods quietly, brushing a few errant strands of hair back and waiting for the boys to lead the way. That way, they could take the first hits!
> OOC - Okay. Shamal in #terrorofdunes. Seira says in here. Lyselle and Berli go into #evildunes.

Oh BALLS.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is gonna be a bit messy, but it can't be helped.

> Seira makes good time through the city. Nothing of note happens while she's enroute. The temple is a grand building, wealth of stone and gold on display, hints of silver inside. In the center of the trading district as is the norm, past Malmuthian traders and iron shipments from the mountains. Inside is a grand open space of rich pillars and inlaid fountains, the golden visage of Waukeen atop a prominade inside.
* Seira seeks out the head priest, walking past the traders!
> As you even see a few Malmuth soldiers in blue and gray, doing boring guard duty for merchants, you come to the altar. It's a grand one of marble and platinum, worth more than one can easily comprehend. An old one, too, clearly having been used for a long time yet well kept, even when moved. Atop there is a tall man Seira knows - Gilartal the Prosperous, wearing gold stitched brown robes.
* Seira inclines her head at him in greeting. "A moment of your time, Sir?" she asks Gilartal.
> "Seira." A nod back, stepping away from the altar. "Of course. Here to buy or just to talk this day?"
<Seira> "I'm on official business today, I'm afraid," she tells the man. "This should really be done in private, I believe."
> "Oh, if you wish." Leading you back past the altar and through a few doors, you soon find yourself in a lush room. Not as lush as outside, butthe seats are deep and soft, and harp music plays from the corners. Or should, but it starts to silence after a moment. "Mmm...I should freshen that spell tomorrow," he murmurs, sitting.
<Seira> "It would be very pleasant," Seira agrees, before venturing, "Sir, have you heard the recent rumors of ghouls and undead on the streets, preying on the citizens?"
> "Naturally." He leans back, taking of a heavy golden chain that holds his holy symbol. Stretching back, "It keeps circulating here in particular, since incoming merchants are slaves to gossip to catch up with the times."
<Seira> "I am here to confirm these rumors," Seira says bluntly. "But that is not all. The mausoleum of Helm's temple had been used by the necromancer until recently, but after they have been alerted, we feel that he may switch targets, as his goals do not seem to have been met so far."
> "My, my, my. I'm surprised those old stiffs let that happen. Helm must be brooding in the heavens." Despite this he smiles archly. "Well then, we've been checking them the last few days, to protect our investments there. Nothing unusual, but you're free to take a look with proper supervision if you like."
<Seira> "Their leader is away on temple business," she offers as explanation. "And I would like to take a look, yes, but perhaps an around-the-clock guard could be arranged to dissuade our necromancer from even thinking about desecrating Waukeen's mausoleum?"
> "Ah, how unlucky, but yes, that idea is prudent." Rubbing his temple a few times, "On confirmation such an action would only be intelligent. Is it just yourself, Seira? I recall you worked with a few others?"
<Seira> "My colleagues opted to guard the premises from the outside while I seeked out your permission to proceed, Sir," she responds.
> "Well then, I'll send someone uitable along with you shortly." But before then he sits up, looking at Seira. "I am curious - how serious an infestation is this? Business could go sour quickly if it goes on too long."
* Seira lowers her head in shame. "It is only just starting, I regret to inform you, Sir. We do not yet have enough information to isolate this necromancer, except the suspicion that he came here a few days ago. In fact, we cannot even ascertain it is a he. Is there any chance you have heard anything that might be helpful, Sir?"
> "Honestly, not particularly. Rumors speak of corpses on the streets and fear in houses, but little else. Oh, allegations of a vampire, or a necromancer, or worse, but nothing that can be pinned down."
<Seira> "A vampire, Sir?" she asks.
> "Yes. As I recall..." He ponders a moment.
> roll 1d20+11
* Hatbot --> "Dungeon_Kotono rolls 1d20+11 and gets 16." [1d20=5]
> "Fangs, suck blood, that sort of creature." He nods once more, "That it's going around controlling bodies, or that a necromancer is raising the death, or what have you."
<Seira> "Vampires can be recognized by not having any reflection or shadow, correct?"
* Seira frowns. "It would be hard to miss one entering the city, unless the Guard was being lax...."
> "I believe so," A shrug by the Temple Master. "I can spend a day studying if you want more information, I'll even give you a discount since you had the good graces to come here and make sure we're informed."
<Seira> "It would be appreciated, Sir," Seira tells him gratefully.
> "Only 20 gold," he smiles, getting up. "I'll have someone escort you regardless."
* Seira bows, thanking the man once more.
> So out you go (Seira, let me know if you're paying him for the study or nots ince you haven't said so directly either way.). Lead along, you see a brown haired priestess and Shamal. You can just hear Shamal say something about the second circle, voice carrying a bit in the hall. "Hmmm," he murmurs, "Is that one of your fellow soldiers? Mia will do then."
---Meanwhile mk 1!---
> So the party leaves, Rin sniffing the air a bit more but staying calmer now...
* Shamal pets Rin, kneeling down and taking out a scroll. "It's a pity I can't have this spell ready all the time... we really don't talk enough, Rin," she smiles a moment, before reading off the magic and clearing her throat. "What did you smell earlier, Rin?" she asks now that they can understand each other verbally.
> "Master..." Rin says slowly, rubbing up against Shamal's hand. "A bigger non packmate one."
<Shamal> "Was it that man, Febras?" Shamal asks. "He smelled like a dog?"
> "Like our cousins more, the really big ones," Rin informs you, voice a little hesitant.
<Shamal> "Like a wolf?" Shamal asks, suspicion formulating. "The kind I sometimes summon? And the one you killed in the forest when we fought those goblins?"
> "Yes," Rin nods, "I think so, Master."
<Shamal> "I see..." Shamal frowns. He couldn't have gotten that scent merely from associating with wolves, not in the city. So that leaves... "Mielikki save us, just who has Seira gotten us mixed up with, now?" she briefly hugs Rin. "Good girl, Rin. Come on, let's go catch up with her, shall we?"
> Rin licks your hand, ready to go. OOC - Seira, right?
<Shamal> OOC: yep
> The trip to the Temple of Waukeen goes without incident again. You enter into a grand place of tall pillars and inlaid gold, traders and merchants doing business. Even a few Malmuthian uniforms can be seen, but the altar is empty right now. No sign of Seira on first glance, either.
* Shamal looks around to see if she can get the attention of any of Waukeen's clergy. She also makes sure her purse is tightly secured.
> Oh, there are a few walking around. It would be easy to go after one.  There's even a youngish one, just finishing a chat with a few merchants and going away. Nice young woman, brown back in a pony tail and somewhat plain robes worn.
<Shamal> Since the cleric is currently unoccupied, Shamal quickly moves to intercept her before someone else distracts her. "Excuse me, might I have a moment?" she asks, her voice soft out of respect for the gods. Even the goddess of commerce deserves consideration in her own house.
> Her brown eyes light up, coming over. "Of course, m'lady. What a fine animal you have there! I have something that would help them, brewed by our own Temple Master Gilartal himself. An sacred enchantment to even toughen the hardest fang or claw."
<Shamal> "Oh, that's quite alright," Shamal smiles, petting Rin idly, "I know that spell myself, anyway. Actually, I was wondering if you've seen a colleague of mine stop by here in the last ten minutes or so? She's a half-elf with black hair, and would have been wearing an insignia like mine," she gestures to the Crimson Guard emblem on her jacket.
> "Oh. It's one of you - yeah, Seira." The womand eflates a bit, but smiles nonetheless. "I saw her go back with the Temple Master. Looked like serious business."
<Shamal> "Oh, right, I suppose I'll wait here for her, then. Thank you," Shamal ducks her head in a respectful nod, smiling.
> "Well then, in the meantime? You said you can cast spells? I recall that Seira can, but I dont' think I've met you. What can you cast?" She lingers, pushing back her brown hair.
<Shamal> "Oh, yes," Shamal nods, happy to while away the time talking shop. "I'm a student of the arcane like Seira, although that's not my real focus. My connection to nature and the blessing of Mielikki provide most of my magical talent," she explains as Rin settles down between them, happily wagging her tail. "In fact I only just recently unlocked the mysteries of the second druidic circle!" she concludes, showing some excitement.
---Meanwhile DONE!---
> "Oh yes, that's wonderful," the girl says back to Shamal, looking down at Rin.
> "That's Mia," The Temple Master informs, "Mia! Take Seira here to the masoleum!"
* Shamal blinks and looks up at the interruption, before smiling and waving to Seira.
* Seira nods at Shamal in greeting.
> "Yes, Temple Master," Mia nods, "Well then, Seira...and oh, will you be coming too?" she asks of Shamal.
<Shamal> "Yes, we're just making sure the dead are resting peacefully," Shamal nods, her voice even lower than before. "I don't know if you've heard the rumours about such, lately, but it's become a bit of a concern..."
> "Oooooh, yes I have, so...shall we?" The girl nods quickly, hurrying up.
<Seira> "Did your lead pan out?" Seira asks Shamal quietly, walking by her.
* Shamal glances a bit uncertainly at Mia before replying obliquely. "Just where did you pick up your new friend Mr Febras, anyway?"
* Seira speaks quietly enough so only Shamal would hear. "He arrived on the same day as our new friend Donald. The same day the incidents started, too, and we can place him at least at one of the scenes. I do not believe him responsible, but he is involved somehow, I feel."
<Shamal> "Hmm... well, I don't wish to make any hasty judgements or anything without proof, but I suggest we be careful around him..." Shamal whispers back, mentally trying to work out when the next full moon is. "So you haven't heard of any problems around Waukeen's crypts have you, Mia?" she then asks more conversationally so as not to leave their new friend out.
<Seira> "The clergy has been patrolling there regularly," Seira informs Shamal. "I asked them to strengthen the security."
> Shamal knows the next full moon is a week or so away.
<Shamal> "Well, we'll take a quick look to make sure nothing's been disturbed, then move onto the next church. Hopefully everything'll be fine," Shamal smiles reassuringly, mentally filing that information away.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+14 lycanthrope knowledge
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+14 lycanthrope knowledge and gets 22." [1d20=8]
> As Shamal racks her brain, you soon reach the masoleum. Febras and Lyselle wait at the gates, the former leaning against them. His voice carries as you approach, "Then we'll simply wait in perfect boredom."
---Meanwhile Mk 2!---
> Febras takes the point, pace solid and face hidden. As you walk down a quiet side street, the smell of the sea coming in from the bay, "Well?" he murmurs, "Was there a battle?"
<Berlioz> "In the last mausoleum we headed for? Yes, there was", Berlioz remarks softly as the group goes ahead, the birght sun bothering the bard a bit.
> "What did happen," Past a bakery and a shoe repair store, deeper in and making good time. His pace is quite quick, swift. "What sort of horror rested within?"
* Berlioz lowers his head a bit, covering his forehead with a palm. "An Abomination, according to a certain paladin accompanying us in that endevor. But why such interest in these creatures? You've certainly seen ghouls before, and I doubt higher undead would faze you as much."
> "When you know your enemies and what they do, you know how to defeat them. Simple logic any soldier should know," There's a note of reprobation there, even if slightly amused. "None of you came down ill or had any other ill effects?"
<Berlioz> "The paladin suffered a sickness earlier, and I'm not sure I'm secure from its effects myself. And, while I know that tactical knowledge is always handy, I wonder if that's what your curiosity restricted to", the bard replies somewhat dryly, still frowning at the sun. He doesn't seem to enjoy mornings a lot.
> Febras looks up to the sun several long moments, before pulling his hat back down again. His ring glints in it briefly, sparking bright. "Well then. Fortune is on your side, many defeat an Abomination only to die days later to fevers and chills."
* Berlioz fixes his monocle and coughs slightly. "That sounds unfortunate."
> "Mmm." So the trip goe son - the masoleum is well behind the Church, connected to it by a covered walkway. It's a nice green grounds, well kept statues about and around the main buildings. Looks quite nice, but it's locked up via gate.
* Berlioz looks up to the gate and sighs calmly. "Well, unless any of us enjoys the idea of stalking into a mausoleum without permission in the middle of a morning, we should contact the person in charge of this place. It seems fine at a glance, but... so was the last one we visited..."
* Lyselle nods, adjusting her gloves and taking a breath of the fresh air that's likely to not gace her lungs for a while. "Lead the way, bardic teller of tales?"
* Berlioz sighs, shakes his head and slumps a bit. "Fine, fine. Let us head to the church and see who is on charge of these lovely gates."
> "I'll wait here," Febras says, resting against the metal gate.
* Berlioz coughs and awkwardly smiles. "Um... actually, we would be more at ease if you accomanied us to the church. My apologies, just a general policy when civillians tag alongside the Guard."
* Lyselle nods with Berlioz, a raised eyebrow directed at Febras. "As Seira indicated, we should be keeping close to any deputized civilians."
> "And leave the masoleum unguarded," Febras challenges, raising an eyebrow.
<Lyselle> "I'll stay here if you worry so much about it," Lyselle offers, smiling softly.
<Berlioz> "Thank you, Lyselle. Let me look around to see if there's a guardian to this place", Berlioz nods while moving on to search.
> Febras makes no move to move, just pulling his hat down to hide his face.
* Berlioz walks around the mausoleum and looks forward, to the sides, searching for a gatekeeper. "Mmmf."
> As Lyselle and Febras wait, Berlioz finds that there isn't anyone clearly on duty right now - save for one. There's a gardener working on soem shrubs inside, behind most of the buildings.
* Berlioz coughs rather loudly, and heads towards the general direction of the gardener, waving as he lets out a shout. "Hello?"
> The problem is that there's a fence between you and the inside. But even with that, you get the gardener to look up, a weathered middle aged man with dirt all over his clothes. "Yeah?" he calls, looking up.
> Meanwhile Febras says quiet, looking around a bit. "Quiet one," he inquires of Lyselle.
* Lyselle shrugs slightly, glancing over at Febras a moment and nudging at her armor" What is there to speak of?"
> "Whatever you wish." He pokes up a tiny bit, smile hidden by the shadow his hat casts.
* Lyselle snorts, shrugging again and glancing over at Febras. "Anf id there is nothing I wish for?"
* Berlioz waves to the gardener once more, as if needing to signal his presence. "I'm a member of Balmuria's Crimson Guard, and we're here to inspect this mausoleum. Do you have the keys for getting in, or know the means to get it?"
> "You'll need to go to the Temple!" he calls back, kneeling back down.
* Berlioz rubs his temples, grumbling to himself. "All right. Thank you for your attention", the bard replies, motioning to return to the party.
> The gate is open and Berlios can head inside...OOC - #dunes, ec.
---Back to the non cluttered narrative!---
<Seira> "Your boredom is over, it seems," Seira greets the duo.
<Shamal> "You won't have to be bored now that we're here," Shamal seconds amusedly.
> "Yes," Mia bows, going to the gate and taking out a little silver key. She opens the gates, heading in.
<Shamal> "This is Mia," Shamal provides an introduction, "She's going to show us around so we can make sure everyone's resting peacefully in here."
> Febras steps away from her, the gate opened. He doesn't offer comment, just heading inside with her.
<Seira> "Where is Berlioz?" Seira asks Lyselle.
* Lyselle follows after their new friend and her comrade, keeping an eye out for whatever might turn out to be odd. "He went looking for someone to open the gates..."
* Seira frowns. "Before we even got the permission to enter?"
<Lyselle> "I think he intended to locate permission in the same trip," Lyselle shrugs, her smile faint and easy.
* Seira mutters quietly to herself, letting it drop.
> Mia goes on all the while to the first building. "Look but don't touch," she advises, unlocking the door inside.
<Shamal> "Hopefully he can catch up... this shouldn't take long," Shamal consoles, obediently following Mia and looking for any sign of disturbance.
* Seira enters the premises with her bow out.
> Inside you see coffins inserted into the walls, little recesses. Rich coffins with marble busts fo the departed, often with inlays on the coffisn themselves. Mia makes a quick look about down the long, narrow building, "Don't see anything," she murmurs.
<Shamal> "Everything seems in order to me," Shamal agrees.
* Berlioz mutters to self and runs inside. Nice way to waste time, bard.
* Lyselle nods, loosening her mace none the less in case something comes about. Who knew, even if the front end held no traces...
<Seira> "Is there a warded off section?" she asks Mia.
> Febras grunts once, "Don't see anything..."
* Berlioz runs further and gets inside the mausoleum, looking for his companions.
> They're in teh front, as Mia turns around. "There's a few in the other masoleums. Do you want to see as well?"
* Seira nods.
<Shamal> "We should check everything, yes," Shamal agrees.
> So the party is lead to the other buildings! In the back of them are runes and wards of gold, parting as Mia places her holy symbol to them and murmurs a few words under her breath. She smiles as the door opens, richer coffins inside, the air musty but clean.
* Berlioz huffs, finally catching up with the party. "Guh. My apologies for the delay..."
<Shamal> "You haven't missed much," Shamal consoles. "It doesn't appear that our necromancer has despoiled these tombs."
> "Fortunate," Febras murmurs, "Well then, what next?"
<Seira> "We check the rest of the graveyards. At the very least, they should all be under guard."
> So the rest of the day passes. All the city's graveyards are searched, yet one thing remains in common - not a sign of undeath at all. Just a busy day...
* Seira appears mildly frustrated by the results. "Have we sent the necromancer into hiding?" she wonders out loud.
<Lyselle> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d100 and gets 57." [1d100=57]
<Shamal> "Perhaps he's biding his time after what happened at the crypts of Helm?" Shamal suggests, a bit dispirited due to lacking any ideas, now.
> Febras snorts as you walk down the streets, evening's eve reached. "Or fled, he's already been gone, or perhaps the Abomination was the source of it all?"
<Seira> "Anything is possible, but we can't really count on such a favorable outcome."
> "Then I wish you well on patrol," Febras nods, "I have other business to go to now, however."
<Shamal> "That is a possibility, but begs the question of how such a thing could get into the city undetected," Shamal muses. "For now, though, we have no leads left."
* Seira nods at that. "Thank you for accompanying us today, Mister Febras."
> "It is no trouble. Despite it all, I have no problem helping Balmuria's finest. This is not a bad city...hmmm." He looks up at the setting up, "Perhaps I may stay here a time, then."
* Lyselle makes a sudden, pained noise as she nearly rips her longsword out from its sheath and letting it drop on the stones, staring at it. "What the..."
> Lyselle's longsword is still duskblack, the metal seeming to writhe like a living thing. It glows the color of Lyselle's flesh, before stopping a few moments after.
> "Hm?" Febras turns briefly, "...my." He pushes his hat down, quiet.
<Seira> "You've seen this before?"
<Shamal> "What?" Shamal stops and stares at Lyselle's fallen sword, promptly casting detect magic so she can see what's what with it.
> It's still a faint aura...OOC - Make your check.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+13 (casting guidance first)
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+13 (casting guidance first) and gets 33." [1d20=20]
> "I'm familiar with this, yes. Supernatural energy has affected the blade? I've had that happen before..." he murmurs quietly, "What happened to it?"
<Seira> "An encounter with the Abomination."
* Lyselle nods, staring at her blade and unclipping her scabbard, trying to nudge the weapon back into its holding with a mace. "That was rather painful..." she frowns.
> "Your sword must have absorbed some of it's component energy," Febras muses, "If I recall, that makes like a half finished template."
<Shamal> "It carries a faint trace of necromantic magic," Shamal confirms. "Lyselle... I don't think the sword is of any use to you like this, but whatever magic is on it is unstable. I freely admit a lack of expertise in this area, but I may be able to infuse it with more beneficial spells."
<Lyselle> "If you'd like to experiment..." Lyselle nods, holding it up by the scabbard, sighing a little. "Such an odd thing..."
* Shamal accepts the scabbard and gingerly puts the sword inside, before holding it by the scabbard. "If nothing else, it may be a way to expand my knowledge of magical craft."
> The sword goes into the scabbard without incident.
> "I wish you well with that," Febras nods, then leaves.
<Shamal> "I don't think he's malicious, but we should keep an eye on Mr Febras," the blonde adds once he's long gone. "I have a suspicion that he may be a werewolf."
<Seira> "Based on what, Shamal?"
* Berlioz raises an eyebrow. I knew he was rather suspicious - startlingly intelligent, for starters... but a werewolf?"
<Shamal> "Rin thinks he smells like a wolf," she answers, before shrugging. "Only a suspicion, perhaps, but I've never seen her act like that before."
<Seira> "He is very suspicious," Seira agrees. "Perhaps the temple of Waukeen could help us clear this up, one way or the other."
<Shamal> "What do you think they can do?" Shamal asks curiously.
<Seira> "Waukeen smiles on any trade and exchange, including that of information." Seira shrugs. "And the temple certainly has the ability to pull it off, located in the center of a gossip-mongering market as it is."
<Berlioz> "That's a fine point you raise there, Seira. I wonder how much information can we gank out of there, though. Seems like a difficult web to tangle into..."
<Seira> "Should we observe his inn tonight, and tail Febras if he leaves it?" she proposes.
<Shamal> "The full moon isn't for another week," Shamal shakes her head. "If you want then by all means, but I do not believe this to be urgent - like I said, he does not seem a malicious sort. We should merely be careful if he loses control. *If* he really is a werewolf."
<Seira> "I'll stick to patroling the city, then," Seira decides.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Note: This fragment keeps some OOC stuff in since it's needed for coherency. Basically, Shamal got shit lucky.

> The next day the party meets with Commander Oberuth in the noon hour. Rested and recovered, the party gets his news. "Well done if rash of you," he nods once, smiling, "After your incident, we have had no more reports since then."
<Seira> "How long should we have the temples keep up their around-the-clock guard, Sir?" Seira asks him.
<Shamal> "It's possible the skeletal abomination was the cause, but I'd hesitate to lower our guard just yet," Shamal demurs thoughtfully.
> "A week at least," The Commander nods, "I'll have you checking them periodically during this time, but I hope this is the end of it. Anything to report?"
<Shamal> "Lyselle's sword displayed curious properties after slaying the abomination," Shamal provides. "I am currently investigating it to see if an enchantment can be molded."
<Seira> "There have been various rumors of a vampire in the city, but we have not been able to substantiate them, Sir," Seira adds.
> Oberuth raises an eyebrow to both, leaning forward and balling his hands together. "Well, we'll just have to be on our guard about them, and hmm. Keep me informed about that sword and anything you do with it."
<Seira> roll 1d20+5
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+5 and gets 16."12 [1d20=11]
<Shamal> roll 1d100 lesser vigor
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 lesser vigor and gets 93."12 [1d100=93]
<Shamal> roll 1d100 lesser restoration
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 lesser restoration and gets 91."12 [1d100=91]
<Shamal> roll 1d100 creeping cold
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 creeping cold and gets 91."12 [1d100=91]
> The sword takes all the spells, turning whiter and making the air chill around it! The blackness is gone, a blade of clear metal lined with ice in front of you now.
* Shamal is almost giddy with her handiwork, giving the sword a few minutes to ensure the spells settle before she casts detect magic and casts her eye over it.
> The sword has moderate and stable magic over it. OOC - Spellcraft.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+13 guidance go
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+13 guidance go and gets 31."12 [1d20=18]
> It's a strange mix of transmutation, evocation and necromantic healing.
> It's also quite steady and complete now, solidified.
<Shamal> Waiting till midnight, Shamal takes the blade almost reverently in her hands and heads into her garden, setting it down and kneeling as she begins a prayer to a Goddess she doesn't always agree with, but one who's power over this element must be respected.
<Shamal> "Blessed Frostmaiden, watch over this blade, let it bring the sting of your displeasure to any who are struck, and protect its wielder from the harshness of winter as they spread the cold to our enemies..." It's short and direct, but Auril isn't exactly a deity who cares about words over action.
> OOC - 1d100 one last time.
<Shamal> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 and gets 58."12 [1d100=58]
> The blade glistens in the night, it's chilly blade catching the filling up moon's rays.
<Shamal> The following day, Shamal is all too happy to give Lyselle her brand new sword!
* Lyelle is now known as Lyselle
* ChanServ sets mode: +ao Lyselle Lyselle
* Shamal barely even waits for a response from Lyselle before she launches into an excited tirade.
<Shamal> "It does a little bit of cold damage when you hit things with it, but the best part is that it heals you with a surge of energy whether you hit or miss! More if you hit, but it only works in real combat, not in practice!" she rattles off, "And it protects you against the draining attacks that undead like so much! You'll love it!" She then immediately hugs Lyselle, overcome with magical bliss.
<Lyselle> Lyselle is all too happy to accept, thanking Shamal seemingly without end for a stabilizing an apparently magical blade!
> The sword feels chilly in Lyselle's hand, but very very light.
<Lyselle> "Wow..." is all Lyselle can really manage after the tirade, returning the embrace with great enthusiasm. "Just...wow, I don't even know how to thank you..."
<Shamal> "Just use it well!" Shamal squeals. "I named it Frozen Oath, but I've never named a magical artifact before, so I'm not sure if that's the best name - if you have any other ideas then feel free!"
<Lyselle> "Um...I'll just think about it," Lyselle nods, smiling broadly and brightly as she takes a single swing with the weapon, unable to stop smiling. "I'll try...I'd better practice with it a lot..."
> Chilled white air flows from where the blade slices, cleaving effortlessly.
<Afina> Forever.