News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Spirits in the Material World

Started by Brian, April 28, 2007, 04:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

"We have," N'Boru says with a grimace.  "They attacked the people closer to their border, the traders, when they claimed their lands and economy were being threatened.  They said that our way of following the spirits was wrong and corrupt, and then they drove the traders away.

"That time, they didn't have any desire to take those who were different and make them join the Church-men.  I don't know what has changed now ... but it must be something.  There has to be a reason for it, and, well....  We're lost.  That is why we turn to you for guidance, Gestur.

"They have guns, and we have only spears.  We are not warlike, beyond hunting, and man is a dangerous beast."
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Shaking his head, Bjorn replies, "I must see the Churchmen, I think.  To hunt one must know the prey, and so it is with war.  But you might tell me: did you, or any here, see them fight?  Do you know how they went about using their guns?"

Brian

"The mouths of the gun have to be fed," Din says slowly.  "Bjorn told us this, from the spirits; none here saw directly.  They have a powder, and then a bullet, and both must be given to the gun.  The Churchmen themselves send knights armored in steel, carrying those guns to do their bidding -- or worse, men they've twisted with their gates to have skin like red stone."

"They sent a single man on one of their horses to warn us yesterday.  I suppose it might be possible to catch him before he returns," N'Boru says thoughtfully.  "Beyond that, you would have to go to their lands to speak with one."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Muskets," Bjorn muses out loud.  "Almost certainly a gun-line, then.  Terrain favours them.  Bows might have a chance, but..." He trails off, thinking of guerilla tactics, and possible bargains with the spirits.

"Well.  Information must be collected quickly, then, for it seems to me that should we need to war, we may well need to seize the initiative.  Perhaps we should begin with this knight.  Shall we see if we might catch him?"

Brian

"This can be done," Din agrees, jumping to his feet.  "I can have things ready for travel within ten minutes, Gestur."  Without waiting for confirmation, he dashes from the lodge.

N'Boru nods slowly.  "You are decisive," he says, slight anxiety stressing his voice.  "Our faith is in Bjorn, and so, you, too.  I wish you luck, and hope that the....  Er, that the other spirits guide your path."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

His lips quirking slightly at the last, Bjorn quickly becomes serious again as he rises.  "My eyes see the end of our quest," he tells N'Boru.  "With that, the path through the obstacles is clear.  So, too, must your eyes see.  Know what you and your people desire, and feel no doubt as you protect your hopes."

Before following Din out of the lodge, he pauses to look N'Boru straight in the eyes.  "To end this, the Church as it is must die," he says.  "So my heart tells me, and so too did the spirits.  To accomplish this, it may be that I will need to travel far.  With whomever travels with me after this knight, I will send advice back, on how to fight and hold the Churchmen back should they march forth and I am yet to return.  I beg you, do not lose faith in me.  

"Now, just arrived in this flesh, I am weak.  As time grows, I will grow stronger, and more able to draw on my power."  He holds out his hand.  "If you take my hand, then I will know the touch of your dreams, and will, in time, be able to speak to you no matter the distance between us.  As a mark of the duty I owe you, I ask this of you."

Brian

N'Boru grasps Bjorn's hand firmly, and without hesitation.  "Our song travels with you," he says with conviction.  "Be well, and return safely."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Grasping N'Boru's hand -- and just coincidentally anchoring him to his Dream -- Bjorn nods once in recognition, and then steps out of the lodge.

Which is the first time he really stops to take stock of himself, in a physical sense.  Loincloth.  Dark skin colour.  Hope that's universal.  I wonder what my options for disguises are.  Any tattoos?  Loooks like not.  No weapons.  Hope I remember how to fight soon enough.

With these issues in mind, he looks around for Din.

Brian

Not long after Bjorn stops outside of N'Boru's lodge to take stock, Din rushes over, carrying four spears of various sizes -- two of them are medium, and he is carrying one of them for himself.  The rest he presents, saying, "If we travel, Gestur, you should take one of these for yourself."

Beyond that, he's also carrying a brace of a dozen javelins over his shoulder, along with two packs (hide) that look like they've been stuffed with travel supplies.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Bjorn reaches out for one of the longer spears, about 9 feet in length, appraising it for workmanship as he does -- metal or stone tips?  socket or tang fit?  if rope is used to bind it in place, what material is the rope made from?

Tucking the spear under his right arm, he says, "Let us go, then.  Will it be the two of us?"

Brian

The spear is of worked wood, carved from some longer tree ... which is interesting, since there don't seem to be any around here.  The spearhead is the tip of a straight double-edged sword, broken off somewhere, and fitted into a socket reinforced with a tight leather binding cord.

"It will be," Din agrees.  "The hunters will practice their craft, and gather more spears in expectation."

At a glance, Bjorn has chosen the best spear of the lot.  While the wood is of identical quality, the other spearheads are made of stone.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Hefting the spear in one hand to test its weight, Bjorn asks, "This wood... it comes from the forest where the Churchmen have built their place?"

Brian

"It does," Din says, offering one of the packs to Bjorn.  "We may reach it before we find the knight we seek."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Then let us go," Bjorn replies, following Din as he sets out.

Brian

Din begins marching into the tall grasses.  Almost all of the villagers watch, and many of them wave.  Just before they vanish from earshot, another one of those haunting songs drifts over the waving sea of grass.

After a few dozen yards, Din bends low and starts searching through the grasses.  It doesn't take him long to find what he's looking for before he sets off at a brisk pace.

~exploding tag~