(Arc 9-3) The sick battle! The GM learns the fun of unfavorable battle setups!

Started by Anastasia, November 19, 2007, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

> The party gathers together in the garrison jailcells. These are guarded well now, soldiers quite keenly at attention. They salute snappily as the Crimson Guard passes by, heading towards Beth's cell. She sits on the ground, awake this time as she awaits. An uneaten bowl of thin cruel rests besides her, untouched.
<Shamal> "Hello, Beth," Shamal greets the assassin as she enters the cell. "Not a fan of prison cuisine, I take it?"
> *gruel
> "I'd rather catch one of the wall rats," she snorts, looking up to you with narrowed eyes. "Guessin' it's worked if you're coming back to see me, girlie?"
<Shamal> "Shockingly enough, yes," the blonde affirms. "Which means your chances of being executed have gone down just a bit. Honestly, I suspect things will come down to just how generous Lord Salman is feeling on the day your case is heard, but I will testify on your behalf - how much weight my voice will carry, I can't really say."
> "Well now," Looking about to each, to quiet Lyselle and then Berlioz, "You even brought loverboy along to tell me this. So then, you wanna squeeze me some more, eh?"
* Lyselle glances at Berlioz, lifting a curious eyebrow and smirking just a bit as she looks at the bard.
* Shamal coughs delicately. "How Berlioz chooses to spend his free time is his own concern..."
> "Heh, heh," Beth smirks right back at the party at that, "So what are you gonna ask of ol' me?"
* Shamal clears her throat before she begins to intone the phrasing from the scroll found on Beth when she was arrested, her voice soft and soothing to hopefully lull Beth into a more suggestive state. "Third stone, past the lighting splitted tree. Archeon's Celestia. The greenest point of the high mountain. Ascending past the red line. Dejeon." Hoping that the hynosis effect took hold, she concludes, "What does that mean?"
<Shamal> OOC: DC 16 will save, -2
> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+4 and gets 12." [1d20=8]
> OOC - Roll your 2d4.
<Shamal> roll 2d4
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 2d4 and gets 3." [2d4=1, 2]
> Listening along, Beth smiles slowly. "Mmmm...Those are interestin', ain't they?" she allows, "It's a seeeecrit. But, guess I can't say that here, can I? Damn." Her smirk fades, "Tell ya what, I'll be straight with you. Only one part o' it relates to anything around here. Rest of it's back home or on the way there."
<Shamal> "You never actually did say where home is," Shamal notes, "But let's start with what relates to near here."
> "Fine, fine. I ain't gonna carry all my loot 'round, yeah? Travel light when in town, jus' what you need to get the job done. 'Course, since lot of it's on the fly, gotta have reminders. Somethin' that doesn't make much sense to anyone but myself, yeah?" She smirks at this again, picking up." (More)
> "First one's telling me where I hid my travel supplies and basics. Others are talkin' about more important stuff. Last one, heh, can't remember that no matter how I press my brain. Best way to protect somethin' is to pay up, right? Best stuff money can buy, yeah? Got 'nough money in my hometown, ol' J'll make ya anything. You got serious magic, you ain't gotta steal. You can just sit back and make shit."
<Shamal> "You often have a problem with forgetting where you left your belongings?" Shamal asks dubiously.
> "Ain't gonna take any chances," she allows, "'sides..." Smiling now, "Say I do fuck up. More questions some nosy ol' girlie has to ask me, better chances of survivin'. 'Course, best way is to avoid being caugh, but here I am anyways. Say there, you're thinkin' 'What so good could be in that cache? Blood money? Stolen loot? Gems? Magic?'"
<Shamal> "Honestly, I was hoping it had some relevance to your most recent job," Shamal admits with a shrug, sounding slightly disappointed.
> "Welp, if riches an' money ain't your thing, I can't help ya much, can I?" she shrugs, casting a quick gaze to Berlioz. "Loverboy, maybe you should be talking some sense into blondie here. I see that rapier there, but you'd just love to use mine with the right preparations."
> *bet
* Berlioz sighs. "I'm not here for poorly constructed innuendo, today."
> "Naw, I mean the good stuff. Take down somethin' with barely hurtin' them. Little of that on the blade, or a smear of this...more deadly than a dozen longswords, yeah?" Beth keeps her smirk up, sitting as upright as her bindings allow.
<Shamal> "Most poisons tend to be illegal," Shamal comments idly, deciding to hang back and let Berlioz and Beth enjoy their banter for now.
> "Well, that ain't my problem," she admits honestly, "Handin' you the tools o' the trade, loverboy."
> Berlioz nods blankly, "I think we're done here," he murmurs.
> So the party is finished, exiting out! With words given they head towards the Dawn Pointe Inn and it's butcher's shop next door. It's showing signs of life again, the door open and evne a few people passing by. The mood on the street has improved, the warm airs increasing. It's a pleasant day, the Baronies safe again - for now.
<Shamal> "I really should learn that spell that lets you detect undead magically," Shamal mutters to herself as they approach the scene of the ghoul sighting.
> As you approach, you can see the street is non descript. Inside the butcher's shop,  you can see in the door. It's dark in there, but cuts of meat can be seen on display. As you approach, you see the inn keeper of the Dawn Pointe Inn head out from the butcher's shop, a cloth sack carried behind her.
<Lyselle> "The butcher shop made me kind of suspicious," Lyselle offers faintly to Shamal, frowning. "It had curtains around it...the meat wasn't what I'd call fresh if my nose wasn't acting up," she adds, heading towards the shop again.
> The curtains are still up, you see. The door is open, however. You can smell meat as you approach, meat with an undercurrent of charnel and blood.
<Shamal> "Well, it's not that unexpected - nobody really wants to see what goes on inside a butcher's, do they?" Shamal smiles, telling Laika to sit and wait.
> Laika sits and waits, but does sniff the air a lot.
<Lyselle> "I'd almost think you'd want to keep the place aired out," Lyselle answers lightly, shrugging as she ducks inside the place, looking around.
<Shamal> "True," Shamal concedes, following Lyselle inside.
> Berlioz follows blankly. Inside are a few hanging rumps of meat, pigs, sheep and chicken. A few open air cases hold steaks, ground meat, stew meat, livers and all other sorts of butchery. The scent of meat tinges your noses, fresh and bloody. There isn't a lot of light, just some candles and a single latern on a table in the middle. It's a strange effect, casting a lot of shadows. "Welcome!" From the back's there - he wears a leather apron, thick and bloodstained. (More)
>  he wears a leather apron, thick and bloodstained. (More)
> His head is bald and a bit flabby, as his entire body. Just a bit too much weight on a tall fellow, making his skin sag. His eyes are sharp green ones, voice a deep timbre. "Can I help you with anything?"
> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 16." [1d20=13]
> He squints a moment, narrowing his eyes. "Oooh, guardsmen. Crimson Guard, too. Can I help you?"
* Lyselle nods, making a short bow. "We were curious...there's been a few abnormal occurences in this area, around the inn in particular...so we thought we'd come by and ask if you've seen anything recently that's out of place?"
> "Nothing that I can think of," he stands tall, hanging back. "I opened here because it's quiet and the inn makes sure I have steady business. It's never failed to live up to that."
<Lyselle> "Haven't heard anything, seen anything, or that like?" Lyselle prods a little further, taking a long, good look around. "Do you see much business other than the inn?"
> It's not a large room -t here's a door on the left and a heavy door to the back. The scent of meat still lingers in the air, heavy and thick. "I have a few regulars. People who I know and come here, people who like my cuts, that sort of thing." He smiles genially, his eyes narrowing as he does.
<Shamal> "So you've been in business here for a while, then?" Shamal asks conversationally, not really having much to contribute at the moment.
* Lyselle nods, smiling easily as she looks around again, eyeing a certain piece of meat speculatively.
> "A few years," he says quite agreeably, slapping his stomach. He licks his lips after, rubbing a hand over his bald head. His features shake a little, rubbing his nose. It's a sharp little nose when the layer of flab is moved, pointed.
> Lyselle looks around, eventually seeing a steak. It's a well cut steak, probably a good meal to be had in it. "Like that one," he asks, as Lyselle views it. "Fresh from the cow."
* Berlioz coughs lightly, trying to disguise the dystics of Detect Thoughts this way. The bard quickly tries to scry the butcher's surface thoughts once the casting is done.
* Lyselle nods, smiling faintly. "I may come back later, guard business presses, though."
> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+4 and gets 5." [1d20=1]
> "Come on by," he smiles a little at that, rubbing his hands together.
<Berlioz> "Hm. I guess so. This butchery seems innocent enough", the bard deadpans.
<Shamal> "Thank you for your time," Shamal nods and follows Lyselle out.
> "It's just a butcher's shop," he agrees, hands falling to his sides with a look at Berlioz. "Please, I'm not invovled in anything illegal!" With a scowl, he turns away.
<Shamal> "You didn't need to be so confrontational, Berlioz," Shamal says reprovingly once they're outside. "We have no evidence of wrongdoing."
* Berlioz sighs. "Hey, I didn't accuse him of anything. Even though he had slightly suspicious thoughts. He -was- hiding something."
> As the party heads out, the butcher comes out and closes the door. A sign is put ont he door,s aying 'Closed for lunch'.
* Berlioz looks back and snickers. "Way to not raise suspicions..."
<Shamal> "I suppose we can stop by the temple of Waukeen and see if they have any scrolls of detect undead for sale. I can give the place a quick look over with that if you think there's a need," Shamal offers reluctantly. Being a witch is expensive...
* Berlioz sighs. "I could share the expenses with you if that's such a hassle. It's probably just fair."
<Shamal> "Considering the scroll costs just a bit less than our monthly salary, I think that'd be nice," Shamal nods affirmatively. "So what was so suspicious, anyway?" she asks, beckoning Laika to follow and starting towards the temple district.
> Laika follows along as you leave the Dawn Pointe Inn and the next door butcher behind. Lyselle follows, silent for now.
<Berlioz> "He was uncomfortable with the questions, mostly. And not in the way a normal person would be. He was hoping we'd ask generic questions and nothing else. And he got a bit... say... distressed when I deadpanned just before we left."
<Shamal> "Hmm... well, we'll see if magic reveals anything, and can put the place under surveillance even if not," Shamal nods as they stroll along to the temple of Waukeen.
> So the scroll is bought, the Dawn Pointe Inn returned to! The butcher's shop next door is still closed for lunch, you note. It's quiet around here, a tired looking traveler going to the Inn nextdoor.
* Berlioz grumbles. "Well, this is a somewhat long lunchtime."
<Shamal> "We haven't been gone that long," Shamal shrugs. "We're just used to shorter lunches since we get worked so hard. Anyway, the ghoul was seen in the alley beside the butcher's, yes?"
<Berlioz> "I think so", the bard mutters. "Although... eh, nevermind."
> Lyselle checks her braid over, nodding to herself.
* Shamal shrugs at that mysterious comment and reads off the scroll, giving her the mystical ability to detect the undead! That done, she makes a circuit around the butcher's, looking this way and that, but mostly towards the interior of the shop.
> As you pass deep into the alley, the farthest back side has a two moderate auras you can detect. OOC - Caster level check.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+2 and gets 8." [1d20=6]
> There are two moderate auras, well back at the rear of the butchery.
<Shamal> "Guilty!" Shamal chirps, walking around to the back of the building closest to the auras to see if there are any other entrances.
* Berlioz snickers. "Well, at least we have a reason to keep the investigation up."
> Going all the way around, you come to the end. There's just a stone wall here in the back, just enough room for a walk around. There is indeed a back door, with a heavy iron lock on it.
* Lyselle smiles faintly to herself, nodding and resting a hand on her sword again. "So I guess we do have something interesting on our hands..."
<Shamal> "A pity Seira isn't here... Although I suppose we now have probable cause to simply go in the front and demand a proper search - there's two moderate undead auras right past that door. Probably ghouls," Shamal explains to her friends.
* Berlioz grumbles. "Figures she'd be elsewhere when we actually need her. We will probably have to break in sooner or later - I'm not sold on that butcher letting us peek on that."
<Shamal> "He doesn't really have a choice," Shamal notes. "Come on, let's get this dealt with," she declares, marching back around to the front and taking a moment to cast Shield on herself and Laika before heading inside, assuming the door isn't locked.
* Berlioz shrugs, following the chipper blonde.
> The door to the front doesn't open. You feel something resisting it, like a deadbolt or bar.
<Shamal> "Lyselle, take Laika and watch the back door in case they try to sneak out?" Shamal suggests to her fellow blonde, keeping an eye on the undead auras as she bangs on the door after giving Lyselle and Laika a moment to get moving. "Open up, this is the Crimson Guard!"
> They're moving just a little bit forward, but not much. Fromb ehind the door, you hear, "What do you want?" the butcher calls back out.
<Shamal> "We need to carry out a search of the premises - open up at once!" Shamal calls back insistently.
> There a pause ... ... No reply.
<Shamal> "If you do not open the door we will break it down!" Shamal calls, before muttering under her breath a chant. "Infernus Gladius..." as a blade of fire springs to life in her hand!
> No response again.
> You notice the inn keeper of the Dawn Pointe opening her door a little away, looking on but not speaking.
<Shamal> "You were warned!" Shamal concludes, taking note of the undead auras before she pokes the blade of flame through the door level with the lock, trying to burn through the bolt.
<Shamal> roll 1d8+1
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d8+1 and gets 7." [1d8=6]
> With a flaming poke, the blade burns through the door! As the wood begins to spark and smoke, Shamal's blade goes all the way through!
<Shamal> Withdrawing the blade, Shamal kicks the door open, ready to kick ass and take names for the law!
> As this happens, Lyselle and Laika head to the back! OOC - #Evil.
> The door flies open! Inside you see the butcher's shop, the door to the back swinging closed!
<Shamal> Invoking the divine favour of Helm upon herself, Shamal promply marches over to the now closed door and kicks it open as well!
* Berlioz follows the druid blonde. "You know, this feels awfully like a blitz."
> As the door isn't locked, it opens quite easily! Inside is:
<Shamal> "The lack of cooperation and obvious undead auras are all the clues I need," Shamal replies firmly, not planning on making the same mistake she made in pussy footing around with that scroll-stealing jerk.
* Berlioz snickers. "I'm not disagreeing with you, there."
> You see it in a few frames, the door swinging wide open! A medium sized room, moderately big. First and foremost are the hooks - butcher's hooks, slabs of meat hanging. Dozens of them, a full day's production. A few tables are about, half butchered cows and chickens on them. They're flat with little grooves on the side, where blood flows down and into small barrels. The smell of charnal is overwhelming, the floor stained red. It's hard to see between the tables and hanging meat, cover easy.  On thef ar end is another door, just creaking open! (More)
> It's hard to see between the tables and hanging meat, light only coming from a few wall candles. Shadows dance madly around, the small wisps of flame flickering with the door's wind!  On the far end is another door, just creaking open! (More)
> They shamble in, bloated bodies colored purple, as if forever denied air! They reek of death, teaming with the smell hear to turn your stomach! OOC - Spot checks andi nitiative.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+10
<Shamal> roll 1d20+10
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+10 and gets 13." [1d20=3]
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1 spot
* Hatbot --> "Berlioz rolls 1d20+1 spot and gets 2." [1d20=1]
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+2 initiative
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+2 initiative and gets 7." [1d20=5]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+2 Shamal
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+2 Shamal and gets 11." [1d20=9]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+3 Laika
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+3 Laika and gets 10." [1d20=7]
> As the party can just see behind theg houls, they can see Lyselle and Laika approaching! Lyselle can smell the horrid, stomach churning maelstrom of odor here, ghouls and fresh meat mixing into a horrible mess!
Meanwhile...
> Lyselle and Laika head to the back door. It's quite an unusual back door - most don't have old bloodstains worn into the ground, but most places aren't butcheries. The door looms, the day still quiet as you hear Shamal call something.
<Lyselle> Lyselle doesn't wait on mutch with the particular sounds that Shamal is making. Frozen Oath whips out and slashes at the door handle, smashing through and into the lock to rip it from the door.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{20}
> OOC - No to hit roll, it's not dodging or anything. Just roll damage.
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+1d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+1d2 --> [ 1d8=4 1d2=1 ]{11}
> With a fell swoop Lyselle achieves her aims! The door handle is broken, lock severed! Ice rims the edges of the cut, as the door is jarred!
<Lyselle> Lyselle kicks open the door and marches in with her shield held before her!
> Inside is a small little receiving room. It's only about five feet wide and barely any deeper, another plain door ahead. There's a few barrels here, some straw and a few broken knives and hooks.
* Lyselle moves forward, trying to head through the next door and deeper into this infestated building.
> This door isn't locked. In here is another shallow room, a storage. Goods are staked up here, supplies. A six or seven foot long and wide room - and at the other end, the door is open! You can see two ghouls shambling out into a great meat processing room!
* Lyselle moves forward deliberately, slashing out as soon as she's in range to take down the closest ghoul.
> OOC - Looks like you're going to flow into #dunes, so roll initiative in there.
Back to the action!
> OOC - Spot as well, Lyselle and Laika.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+1 and gets 19." [1d20=18]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+5
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+5 and gets 12." [1d20=7]
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1 the difference between being Raquel and Jude
* Hatbot --> "Berlioz rolls 1d20+1 the difference between being Raquel and Jude and gets 5." [1d20=4]
> roll 1d20+3 g1
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 g1 and gets 16." [1d20=13]
> roll 1d20+3 g2
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 g2 and gets 19." [1d20=16]
> roll 1d20+6 ????
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+6 ???? and gets 19." [1d20=13]
* Retrieving #dunes modes...
> The first ghoul ambles forward, about reaching halfway through the room! You note it's movement is impeded by the hanging meat and tables, the room surely hard going. The second ambles forward as well, following! OOC - Shamal.
* Shamal steps forward to the nearest ghoul, slicing out with her flame blade to eviscerate the undead horror!
<Shamal> roll 1d20+5 melee touch
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+5 melee touch and gets 9." [1d20=4]
> Shamal slashes out, cutting through a ham and making it smoke! But the ghoul manages to weave back just a bit, rocking away from the strike's flaming intensity! It's rotten eyes fixate on the fire, wary! "....flame..." It's mouth works the words out, guttral and dry. OOC - ???? is acting now.
> From one of the tables near Shamal it erupts out, leaping forth! The owner of the butchery screams out, a giant cleaver in it's hand! It's over two feet long, bloodied from countless acts of butchering! His face is a mask of animalistic, sharp fury, weapon coming down at Shamal!
> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+9 and gets 24." [1d20=15]
> roll 2d4+7+2d6
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d4+7+2d6 and gets 12." [2d4=2, 1][2d6=1, 1]
> The blade dances across Shamal's chest and finishes by ripping up, a shallow cut across the cleft of her chin! He licks his lips as blood flows, eyes tinted red as he lands in a near crouch. "Cut ya up...cut ya up...c'mon, lady, cut ya up!"
> OOC - Laika.
<Shamal> "Ahhh!" Shamal cries, staggering back at the horrific wound even as Laika growls in canine fury and lunges towards the butcher to try and tear his throat out!
<Shamal> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+9 and gets 27." [1d20=18]
> OOC - Hit.
<Shamal> roll 1d6+4
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d6+4 and gets 6." [1d6=2]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+4 trip check
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+4 trip check and gets 6." [1d20=2]
> roll 1d20+6
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+6 and gets 22." [1d20=16]
> The rip into the butcher's shoulder is quick! HIs flabby skin is torn, Laika pushed off! A near geyser of blood flies out, gushing and sprawing all around from a minor wound! The butcher grins fearlessly! "Cut ya up...cut ya up...cut yaaaaa uppppp!" OOC - Lyselle.
<Lyselle> Lyselle's expression is dark as she moves up behind the ghouls, suppressing any emotional response to try and keep her thoughts as cold and rational as her sword, lashing out quickly against a ghoul, trying to eliminate the undead first.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+11 and gets 15." [1d20=4]
> But the ghoul attacked is a little too fast, the minor wound not even breaking it's skin! OOC - Berli.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+2 and gets 3." [1d20=1]
* Berlioz mutters, and begins chanting the dystics for Hideous Laughter, eyes targetting the mad butcher.
> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+4 and gets 5." [1d20=1]
> The butcher laughs! Such simple words are not fitting, as it quakes with laughter! Despite the horrid stench in the air and the dances the stomachs of the heroes so valiantly wish to do, he laughs! He roars in laughter, rocking back and forth! His laughter echos heavily!
> The heroes all note that they're beginning to feel very stomach sick, the smell of this place nigh overwhelming. OOC - Ghouls are up.
<Shamal> "I'm glad someone's amused..." Shamal notes bitterly as she nurses her wound and stays on guard against the ghouls.
> The ghoul Lyselle attacked returns the favor! It turns, unleashing it's bites and claws!
> roll 1d20+5 bite
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+5 bite and gets 7." [1d20=2]
> roll 1d20+3 claws
> roll 1d20+3 claws
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 claws and gets 5." [1d20=2]
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 claws and gets 14." [1d20=11]
> Yet Lyselle expertly parries away each and every attack, pushing the ghoul back with her shield at the end! THe second turns, going after the bloodied Shamal! "...bloooooood...!"
> roll 1d20+5 bite
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+5 bite and gets 10." [1d20=5]
> roll 1d20+3 claws
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 claws and gets 20." [1d20=17]
> roll 1d20+3 claws
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 claws and gets 13." [1d20=10]
> roll 1d4+1 and make a fort save, Shamal.
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d4+1 and make a fort save, Shamal. and gets 3." [1d4=2]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+6
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+6 and gets 13." [1d20=7]
> roll 1d4+1
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d4+1 and gets 5." [1d4=4]
> Shamal ducks away from the bite, but the ghoul is relentless! It charges headfirst, a claw swipe getting SHamal's ribs! It's a deep wound, a single claw burying inside! Shamal feels her body lock up, undead toxin taking effect! OOC - Paralysed for 5 rounds.
> Shamal is paralysed, unable to move! The butcher continues to laugh, a hearty festival of it's amusement! OOC - Laika.
<Shamal> Seeing her mistress in yet more peril, Laika leaves the merry butcher alone and tackles the ghoul menacing Shamal in an effort to bring it down and end its threat!
<Shamal> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=16 ]{23}
<Shamal> roll 1d6+4
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d6+4 --> [ 1d6=1 ]{5}
<Shamal> roll 1d20+4 trip check
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+4 trip check --> [ 1d20=2 ]{6}
> roll 1d20+3 trip
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 trip --> [ 1d20=20 ]{23}
> The ghoul is bit, a part of it's arm coming off! It's only slowed a bit, not taken down! "Fooood..." It stares at Shamal's bleeding wounds! OOC - LYselle.
<Lyselle> Lyselle tries again, slashing with cool detachment, or her attempt at it, focusing on the icy fog that floats off her sword to keep her calm as it comes down on the ghoul
<Lyselle> *ghoul.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{31}
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+1d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+1d2 --> [ 1d8=6 1d2=2 ]{14}
> This blow is expertly placed, maximum effect as the ghoul's left arm is sliced, blade passing into it's chest! It's nearly cut in two, body flopping along but still up! This gets it's attention, a cry coming from it's long dry lips! OOC - Berlioz.
* Berlioz clears his throat and calls forth a tale of bravery against all odds - including the ones of overwhelming stench against a giggling butcher. (OOC: Inspire Courage. I'm buying Summon: Loligoth in the next level.)
> The party notes the stench is starting to get to them. Stomachs are soured, a desire to get out of here beginning to bloom - but it's not too bad. Yet.
> The first, unwounded ghoul continues it's tactics, right in Lyselle's face!
> roll 1d20+5 bite
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+5 bite --> [ 1d20=16 ]{21}
> roll 1d20+3 claw
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 claw --> [ 1d20=13 ]{16}
> roll 1d20+3 claw
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 claw --> [ 1d20=20 ]{23}
> roll 1d20+3 claw crit check
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 claw crit check --> [ 1d20=8 ]{11}
> roll 1d4+1 and make a fort save, L-chan
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d4+1 and make a fort save, L-chan --> [ 1d4=4 ]{5}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{20}
> Lyselle is stricken! Amid the combat the ghoul slashes her face, scoring a direct hit! It's not deep but it's enough to sway poor Lyselle! She feels her body try and freeze up, but her inner energy resists, keeping her moving! Meanwhile, the second ghoul looks torn by target - and indeed, it's also torn! With a pause, it lunges at Laika!
> roll 1d20+5
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{9}
> roll 1d20+3
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{12}
> roll 1d20+3
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=19 ]{22}
> roll 1d4+1 and make a fort save, doggie.
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d4+1 and make a fort save, doggie. --> [ 1d4=3 ]{4}
<Shamal> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=3 ]{10}
> roll 1d4+1 iu
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d4+1 iu --> [ 1d4=4 ]{5}
> It's not much of a wound, to be fair - just a raking across Laika's stomachside! BUt it's enough to freeze her up, totally paralysed! Meanwhile, the butcher laughs, minor would still trickling too much blood and Shamal paralysed! (2/5 for both of them.) Laika is also frozen! (1/5) OOC - Lyselle.
<Lyselle> Lyselle wishes sincerely to her heart that undead didn't have this paralysis effect as she continues to fight, slashing and attacking at the monster closest to Lyselle, trying to make sure it never reaches the witch!
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{29}
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+1d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+1d2 --> [ 1d8=8 1d2=2 ]{16}
> With a perfect blow, Lyselle disects the ghoul in two! It falls apart, nary a sound as it's cleaved! A bit of ghoul falls on the paralysed SHamal, but not anything sharp or chewy! OOC - Berlioz.
* Berlioz interrupts his song, beginning the dystics of Cure Light Wounds towards Shamal.
<Berlioz> roll 2d4+5 please don't Saul me
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 2d4+5 please don't Saul me --> [ 2d4=5 ]{10}
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+1
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+1 --> [ 1d8=4 ]{5}
> Berlioz has a pale golden light encompass Shamal's wounds, mending them with pure magic! As the battle rages, the party feels their stomachs turn massively, exposure beginning to get to them! OOC - Fort saves.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+6 Shamal
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+6 Shamal --> [ 1d20=4 ]{10}
<Shamal> roll 1d20+7 Laika
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+7 Laika --> [ 1d20=7 ]{14}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{13}
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+1 --> [ 1d20=14 ]{15}
> The party is ablet o hold on, despite the stench that fills the room! The ghoul on Lyselle continues, clawing and slasing at the brave blonde!
> roll 1d20+5 bite
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+5 bite --> [ 1d20=4 ]{9}
> roll 1d20+3 claw
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 claw --> [ 1d20=12 ]{15}
> roll 1d20+3 claw
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 claw --> [ 1d20=16 ]{19}
> But each attack is soundly repelled! As this happens Laika is paralysed, unable to act! (2/5) The butcher continues his feast of madness and hilarity, and Shamal can't move! (3/5 both of you.) OOC - Lyselle.
<Lyselle> Lyselle just troops on, attacking in a swift and thorough series of blows aimed at dismembering the remaining ghoul piece by piece.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{28}
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+1d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+1d2 --> [ 1d8=8 1d2=1 ]{15}
> As Lyselle ducks under a swinging shoulder of beef, send moving by the ghoul, she counters with an upward cut! It slices most of the ghoul's chest open, leaving her hanging back safely and unhurt! OOC - Berlioz.
> The ghoul lives on, despite it's chest cavity ripped open! It's arms hang back horrifically, but it's rotting eyes stay alert!
* Berlioz holds his action for a moment, in order to give Lyselle a crack on the laughing butcher.
<Berlioz> OOC - Strike that.
* Berlioz eyes the ghoul, striking with his rapier for a simple finish.
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+4 hiiiiiiiiit
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+4 hiiiiiiiiit --> [ 1d20=4 ]{8}
> But Berlioz is parried away, the notched and barbed rapier only catching intot he air! The last ghoul simply continues, toe to toe with Lyselle, nearly draped over her!
> roll 1d20+5
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{17}
> roll 1d20+3
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{16}
> roll 1d20+3
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=1 ]{4}
> OOC - Ooops, almost forgot.
> OOC - Fort saves, all.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{27}
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+6 Shamal --> [ 1d20=20 ]{26}
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+7 Laika --> [ 1d20=16 ]{23}
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1 fort save
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+1 fort save --> [ 1d20=8 ]{9}
> As the ghoul misses adn the party battles, the smell continues to plauge them! Berlioz feels horrifically sickened, body crying out for mercy and stomach protesting!
> Meanwhile, laughter and paralysis continues unabated! (4/5 for the butcher'n'blonde, 3/5 for doggie.) OOC - Lyselle.
<Lyselle> Lyselle tries to finally end this undead menace, her shield put forward to fend it off as she lashes at its lower body with her sword, trying to just keep it to practiced, reflexive motions. It's just a dummy, nothing to get angry about...
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{24}
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+1d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+1d2 --> [ 1d8=8 1d2=2 ]{16}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{17}
> With an swing of pure, icy skill, Lyselle cuts the ghoul's last tie from life, head send to the table, landing into a barrel of blood! The splash is heady and noisy, breaking up the thickness of combat! Her face is composed, an ice like calm over it. OOC - Berlioz.
* Berlioz holds his action, a hand over his belly as if he was trying to keep his stomach from exploding.
> Meanwhile, the room keeps on stinking! OOC - Fort saves, all.
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+6 Shamal --> [ 1d20=5 ]{11}
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+7 Laika --> [ 1d20=1 ]{8}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=5 ]{12}
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1 ow
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+1 ow --> [ 1d20=12 ]{13}
> The two paralysed heroes feel their stomachs go sick, weakening them! Berlioz is just able to resist getting violently stomach sick, while Lyselle is still unaffected! (5/5 for you guys, can act next. 4/5 for Laika. BLonde, go.)
* Lyselle turns her blade on its side, bringing down the flat of the blade straight across the butcher's head!
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{27}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7 crit threat
> OOC - Crit check, oi.
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 crit threat --> [ 1d20=7 ]{14}
> OOC - Crit. Damage it up.
<Lyselle> roll 2d8+12+2d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 2d8+12+2d2 --> [ 2d8=9 2d2=4 ]{25}
> CLAAAANG! Lyselle lands her blade directly on the crown of his head! The blow is spectacular, echoing like a stricken bell! Except the bell is his skull, knocking the buctcher back several feet as the spell begins to wind down! His face is covered with ice, a horrible lump quickly rising despite it! OOC - Berli.
> The flabby skin around his head goes flat, visible movements of ...something... underneath flowing downward!
* Berlioz remains on hold, holding to his rapier in case something happens.
> OOC - Fort saves then, gang.
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+6 Shamal --> [ 1d20=4 ]{10}
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+7 Laika --> [ 1d20=5 ]{12}
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+1 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{19}
> roll 1d20+7 Lyselle fort save.
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+7 Lyselle fort save. --> [ 1d20=8 ]{15}
> While Berlioz and Lyselle continue to resist, Shamal and Laika are nauseated! Just in time for SHamal, as she comes out of her paralysis! Also, the laughing ends! The butcher looks around, wobbling, "Cut...cu...cuuuut..." it drawls, drooling a little bit! Its' eyes are crossed, a terrific lump on it's forehead as it makes a swing at Lyselle!
> roll 1d20+9
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{29}
> roll 1d20+9 crit check oi
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+9 crit check oi --> [ 1d20=4 ]{13}
> roll 2d4+7
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 2d4+7 --> [ 2d4=3 ]{10}
> OOC - Shamal, you have a move action if you wish to use it.
* Shamal groans queasily, wanting to flee into fresh air but unwilling to leave her friends behind.
> As Shamal finds out she's quite ill, the cleaver cuts into Lyselle's side! A solid if not spectacular wound, a few dribbles of bright red blood coming down in the dim butchery!
<Lyselle> Lyselle swings back easily, slashing and attacking with practiced motions of cleaving!
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+1 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{3}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{23}
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+!d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+!d2 --> error: malformed expression
<Lyselle> roll 1d8+6+1d2
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d8+6+1d2 --> [ 1d8=4 1d2=2 ]{12}
> The plunge in is a direct slash across his stomach! Flab bursts with a new hole torn in, blood gushing out in an inhuman torrent! It spews out, soaking Lyselle and her sword! As it flows, you note his flab begins to deflate, gallons rushing out! With this, the butcher falls down, flat on his back as his body spews! OOC - Battle's over. Free actions.
* Shamal coughs, barely keeping something nasty down her throat before her and Laika both flee back towards the front door of the butcher's, desperately needing to catch their respective breaths.
* Berlioz covers his mouth, wincing heavily at the unhealthy - at the ver least - sight. "Oh dear, this is horrifying..."
> Shamal flees out, fresh air a balm to her! She notes that the inn keep from the Dawn Pointe is lingering just outside, watching. "Ooooh!" she gasps as Shamal and Laika run out. Meanwhile, Berlioz continues to feel quite ill staying in there! OOC - Fort save.
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1 I'm getting out of here next action
<Reiko-chan> Berlioz rolled : 1d20+1 I'm getting out of here next action --> [ 1d20=2 ]{3}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+1
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+1 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{18}
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Lyselle rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=11 ]{18}
> Berlioz feels his stomach go entirely sour. Urrrk.
* Lyselle stares for a moment at the outrush of ungodly amounts of blood, prodding and er...'fishing' in the corpse for whatever the hell was moving...in his head...
> Blood continues to gush out. You note the 'corpse' is still breathing and deflating, the cut no it's stomach doing quite a good job of that. A few more spurts, flying high into the air. The flab around it is now just loose skin, hanging all over his body.
* Shamal wipes her mouth with the back of her hand as she tries to recover her bearings. "Please... go back inside," she weakly tells the innkeeper. "It's not safe to come too close to here." Cleanup sure is going to be messy...
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

* Berlioz flees as fast as possible from the slaughterhouse, barely containing urge to vomit - and there's no certainty that he will not let it out once he leaves the place.
> "Is something the matter," she holds her hands up to her chest, "S-should I get help?"
> She nods to Shamal, starting to step back quickly.
> Berlioz bursts out, finding the clean air excessively pleasing.
* Lyselle prods the deflattion a few times, looking for any crawly things.
<Shamal> "Just... stay inside," Shamal gets out, coughing. "We'll take care of it."
> Nothing that Lyselle sees. It's all emptying flab, blood all around it in an inch deep pudd-
> roll 1d20
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{17}
* Berlioz curses, his eyes closed, now wiping his mouth with his backpalm. "Mongrel..."
> Lyselle's hand tingles, the hilt of Frozen Oath oddly sensitive.
> The inn keep does just that, running inside.
* Lyselle frowns, foregoing any more investigation that might end badly, and instead moving out to Shamal and Berlioz. "Could one of you look for a magic aura on me? My hand is tingly and that crawly thing in the skin made me nervous..."
* Shamal nods weakly, muttering a brief spell. "Coming," she calls, returning to join Lyselle, but letting Laika stay out in the fresh air.
<Shamal> OOC: Detect magic on
<Shamal> *she calls, turning to face Lyselle and staying with Laika!
<Shamal> roll 1d20+14 guidance
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+14 guidance --> [ 1d20=14 ]{28}
<Shamal> "Blast..." the blonde mutters. "Something's disturbed the sword's enchantment - it's intact, but muddled. It may not be safe to use right now."
> As you talk, you hear a inn's front door open and close.
<Lyselle> "...uh oh..." is Lyselle's simple answer, sheathing her blade and sighing.
<Berlioz> "I wonder if you could try to revert it, Shamal. You did manage to work the blade out back then, maybe you could repeat the deed?"
<Shamal> "It may stabilise on its own. In any case, I lack the magic to do much with it right now," Shamal shakes her head. "For now we need to get this place secured, and see about warning everyone who bought meat here - I've got a bad feeling about this."
> "...is there a disturbance?" You hear footsteps approaching from the inn, someone coming. His voice is quite low, restrained. "Trouble seems to be joined at the hip with you."
<Lyselle> "And you," Lyselle remarks back to who can only be Febras, turnning to face him.
> Febras pulls his hat down low, chuckling. "I heard from the inn keeper that there was something wrong. Mere curiosity in this case, nothing more."
* Shamal eyes Seira's mysterious friend suspiciously. "I'd almost forgotten with all the other excitement lately, but we still haven't discussed your knowledge of the assassination attempt on Lord Salman."
> "Knowledge?" Febras chuckles again, "I was in the right place at the right time, happy to serve. I had no interest in Lord Salman dying. I hear the assassin has indeed been captured."
* Berlioz sighs. "Quite frankly, I somehow doubt you'd be involved with this anyway - you're not quite the type to send skanks to do your work, and being that close to the scene back there wouldn't help your case, either."
<Shamal> "The only way you could have known would have been if you were a witness, or if you had prior information," Shamal counters. "Rumours don't spread *that* fast."
> "
* Berlioz shakes his head. "He was a witness of sorts, Shamal. He was talking to me when it happened, and you know I was fairly close to the general vicinity"
<Berlioz> *."
> "I know how to track and I saw it happen, if you must know," Febras's chuckle dissipates into an easy sigh. "Going out and attempting a search was the obvious option. I saw it with Berlioz, as a matter of fact. From there, I simply did my civic duty of anyone who lives in this town.""
<Shamal> "Really?" the blonde allows herself to be mollified, somewhat. "I suppose Berlioz would be an acceptable alibi. That being the case, you'll have to excuse us, however - we have work to do and this area is not safe for civilians."
> "If you wish," Febras looks up just a bit, a flash of a smile glimpsed. "Do be careful, if you will?"
<Shamal> With Febras gone, Shamal goes to open the other door in the front room of the butcher's to see what's behind it.
* Lyselle follows Shamal, reaching back to the iron mace she keeps for backup, hefting it just in case things get nasty.
> There's a small room here. Bed, small drawer, chamber pot, that sort of thing. It's not a very big room, surely a bachelor pad.
<Shamal> "There's magic back in the room we fought," Shamal adds after a second, going back and taking a glance through the door without going in fully as she tries to pinpoint the location of the aura and identify its nature.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+13 spellcraft
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+13 spellcraft --> [ 1d20=9 ]{22}
> Around the butcher, Shamal can see the aura. Further, all can see that wisps of dark gray/black are coming out from his body, as if smoke from the source.
<Shamal> "Lyselle?" Shamal calls for her fellow blonde, pointing to the wisps. "Isn't this like what happened when you killed that abomination in the crypt?"
<Lyselle> "...Pretty close, yeah," Lyselle agrees as she comes up behind Shamal, frowning darkly. "Probably why it destabilized the sword..."
> Wisps continue to flutter out of him, slowly going into the air, fizzling into the stench of the room and out of sight.
<Shamal> "Hopefully its current enchantment is solid enough to throw off the change," Shamal looks thoughtful for a moment before shrugging and taking the mostly forgotten leather sling from her belt and tossing it in amongst the wisps. "It was cheap anyway, and at worst nothing will happen," she responds to the unasked question. "At best it might pick up some magic of its own!"
> OOC - Are you tossing it at teh body or besides it orw hat?
<Shamal> OOC: at the focal point the wisps are emanating from. If that means the body then yes.
> roll 1d20
<Reiko-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{20}
> So tosses, the wisps fly into the thrown sling! As it sits there, the leather turns a midnight gray/black, a single eye showing on it's band. Is it alive? You can't tell, but it does seem to writhe as you see the wisps stop. At this, the body of the man falls apart into blood, flesh melting in moments.
<Shamal> "This'll be fun to explain to the commander..." Shamal winces as the body vanishes, before suspiciously studying the sling - is it bearing the same magical aura she sensed from the butcher?
<Shamal> "Well, it's unstable like the sword was. I might be able to work with it," Shamal shrugs, going to pick up the sling and carefully bundle it up in one of her belt pouches, making sure to tie said pouch closed securely. "Let's search for any more evidence before we get some other guards to lock the place down while we make our report?"
<Shamal> roll 1d20+3 search
<Reiko-chan> Shamal rolled : 1d20+3 search --> [ 1d20=6 ]{9}
> There's a lot of used butchery supplies. Beyond all that, you don't find much of note beyond two redead ghouls.
* Lyselle checks the two barrels she saw in the far back room for thoroughness.
> One has left over animal bones, small ones. The other holds salt.
* Lyselle nods, moving on to rejoin her compatriots.
> So the party returns. Commander Oberuth waits for them this time, recovered and alert. They meet in the normal meeting room, the Commander grinning, "At ease! I've heard from Lord Salman himself! Good work, good work!"
<Shamal> "We have been rather busy," Shamal can't help but note as she settles into the meeting room.
* Lyselle nods, saluting and then sitting down, her hand resting worriedly on her sword. "We found the source of the ghoul sighting, and...hopefully dealt with it."
> "Oh yes, there are many many matters. It'll happen in a day or two - about the trial, about that rapier and glaive, about what Lord Salman wishes to do - but sit down and go on for now," Oberuth smiles expansively.
> "...well then," His humor fades at those words, "I heard. Was it real or imagined?"
<Shamal> "Very real," Shamal nods, taking out her sling and putting it on the table in all its creepy eyed glory. "My sling even picked up some magic much like Lyselle's sword did after we dealt with the last ghoul infestation."
> "..." Oberuth stares at it, before shaking his head, "Are you trying to say that what caused the ghouls is still active?"
<Berlioz> "Yes. And it can possess people, to boot. It's... not a pretty sight", Berlioz coughs somberly.
<Shamal> "The butcher's by the Dawn Star inn will be closed indefinitely," Shamal deadpans. "We need to put out a public health warning for anyone who shopped there."
> "...well then." Oberuth snorts out, "Yes, I'll see to it. Another concern springs up just as we reign in another." Pausing to brush back his hair with the back of his hand, "Alright. Lord Salman is going to want to see you tomorrow, and he'll want to talk about this and other things before Beth's trial."
* Shamal nods and stows the sling away. "I'll see if I can at least make this into something useful like I did with Frozen Oath."
> A nod to that, "Go ahead and rest and prepare. Tomorrow's going to be a big day for you," Oberuth smiles faintly, "Dismissed, we'll talk more on the morrow."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is the first fragment of working on the sling. Not much of note can be said here, it's only included for archival purposes.

> Okay, yeah, prep and go for your spells, Shamal.
<Shamal> Okay, start off with Protection from Evil. (DM is up as I do this so I can see the results)
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=60 ]12,0{60}
> The spell doesn't have much effect.
<Shamal> Now Light.
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=40 ]12,0{40}
> The spell doesn't have much effect.
<Shamal> Now Faerie Fire
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=62 ]12,0{62}
> The spell doesn't seem to do much, the sling's eye seeming to stare at Shamal with a baleful disdain.
<Shamal> Now Magic Stone. Technically a sling is not a valid target for this spell, but I'm casting the spell at it and hoping for the best.
<Shamal> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicStone.htm
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=33 ]12,0{33}
> Again, no particular effect. The magic's not being influenced by these right now.
<Shamal> Now Heartfire (l2 druid spell, technically only targets living creatures but again trying for shits and giggles - p112 spell compendium, does 1d4 fire damage per round and cancels concealment/invisibility)
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=16 ]12,0{16}
> The magic stirs a little bit, the aura quaking - but it doesn't last, not quite.  It almost looks...stronger and nastier a moment, however.
<Shamal> Another protection from evil!
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=19 ]12,0{19}
<Shamal> Decomposition (p61 spell compendium, l2 druid. Makes inflicted wounds fester for 3 additional damage every round for duration)
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=22 ]12,0{22}
<Shamal> Flare
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=37 ]12,0{37}
<Shamal> Last protection from evil
<Shamal> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Shamal rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=5 ]12,0{5}
<Shamal> And I'm spent.
> All the spells but the last have little effect. The last makes the aura grow stronger, fouler.
<Shamal> How ironic! If she has time before her meeting with Lord Salman, Shamal stops by the temple of Helm to buy a flask of holy water and seals the sling inside said flask until tomorrow.
<Shamal> -25gp
> Okay. Link me to SRD holy water?
<Shamal> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#holyWater
> roll 1d100
<Reiko-chan> 1,0Kotono rolled :1,0 1d100 --> 1,0[ 1d100=36 ]12,0{36}
> Okay.
<Shamal> Tomorrow I will use a different bot!
> I wish you luck!
> Sec.
<Shamal> I'll have my awesome fiery sling of burning justice, yet!
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> The next day is a solemn, windswept day. From the Bay of Sparking Stars a thin cloud cover blows in, a wind with the very last gasps of winter's touch, enough to ever so slightly cool the air. Yet this stops no one - it is a day of activity, Balmuria alive again. The summons came fairly early, Lord Salman waiting. He now stays in the garrison, a single meeting room converted, a deep backed chair made for him. (More)
> Lord Salman leans forward, hands curled up beneath his chin. His gaze is strong, meeting each of you as you enter. Shamal first and then Berlioz and finally Lyselle. "Welcome, each of you," he says, deep voice strong and unhindered by weaknesses of the flesh once more. "I have heard much of your deeds and find them pleasing. Your devotion and skill are exemplary by all admissions. You captured my poisoner and made a remedy despite pernicious attempts to make it a fatal poison, then exterminated an unholy, loathesome attack on our very soil."
> pernicious attempts to make it a fatal poison, then exterminated an unholy, loathesome attack on our very soil."
<Shamal> "Balmuria's normally very quiet..." Shamal almost squeaks her statement out, wondering what Lord Salman must think of the city considering all the recent excitement.
> "I find that the evidence of facts suggests strongly otherwise," Lord Salman rumbles from deep within, baritone heavy. "But as often happens and happened in the birth of our country, those that are capable rise to the forefront. You have done well, directly ending several threats. I need not extole on your bravery and virtue, as your deeds stand alone, not needing mere words to celebrate them." (More)
> "I have had you come instead to speak of matters resulting from your valorous actions. First, our nation has come into possession of two eldrich artifacts - a glaive and a rapier - thanks to your works. Weapons sorely needed for trade or for protections." Lord Salman looks on, "In exchange, a gift of 5000 gold coins shall be bestowed onto each of you. Money hard earned, but I believe that you will use it well."
<Shamal> Shamal's eyes widen considerably at the vast amount of money being given. "Ah... th-thank you, my Lord," she stumbles out, wondering what she can do with that much cash.
* Lyselle stands silent, fairly overwhelmed by the onrush of praise and wealth that has suddenly come into her hands. It may not perhaps be so shocking as it might've been only a short time ago, but five thousand is still much more than she's previously held in her hands. "Ahm...my Lord is most generous..." she recovers, violet eyes a hint wide, not quite reaching shock.
> "We are generous because you are truly exceptiona and loyal servants, and as such, look to be the forefront of our investigations and defenses in Balmuria." Lord Salman waits a moment, nodding gravely. "There seem to be many problems in this city. A plague of undeath, coming in the form of most unholy energy. The gnome problems and interests, rumblings from the elves and...Malmuth."
* Shamal stiffens. "Have we had confirmation of hostile action from Malmuth?" she asks worriedly. Sure, rumours about Malmuth run all the time, but nothing's happened since the war, right?
> "We trade with Malmuth, even after the war. On their insistance, giving us vitally needed gold in exchange for iron. The coin you will receive is largely composed of profits from this trade. It is a large and important part of our economy, yet, one does not trust the other. The elven affair, rumblings at the border. Are all these things that are happening related to them in any manner? We do not know for certain, but we intend to find out.
<Shamal> "I see... Am I to take it that since you are telling us this, then we will be involved in finding out Malmuth's intentions?" Shamal asks thoughtfully.
* Lyselle raises her eyebrows sharply at Shamal's inference, coming back down from her toughts of armor, weapons, and the like. "That would be..." she pauses to glance at Berlioz. "Within our abilities, I would guess..."
> "There are many issues - and do they connect? Is this one grand scheme against us? Is Malmuth behind it all, some of it, or innocent? Do they wish to reclaim their lost lands? How do the disturbances, the ruins, the elves...how does all of it fit together?" Lord Salman raises his eyebrow, "I believe it to be within your abilities. Ergo, I task all of you with the following." (More)
* Berlioz frowns, voice mildly somber. "There's no doubt we'll be involved. Otherwise, no one would even bother telling. And, really, I'm guessing it's at the very least about time that the ruckus in the elven lands started resonating."
> Pausing a moment, "Yes, the elven lands are...Seira has been sent there, along with the elven ranger whom was in your company. A mission of diplomacy."
<Shamal> "Oh, that's where he went. I was worried he'd been taken advantage of, again..." Shamal murmurs in faint relief.
> "First, the undead plague. From the information given, it is quite possible that we are only dealing with the symptoms, not a root cause. Find that cause and find out why it is doing so, what it is, and how it relates to us, then neutralise it. The gnomish ruins - we sit on one near town. The allure and lost magic inside could be vital to our nation. Discover those secrets and make them ours. Irenes...his life is forfeit if he is captured in our lands. Do so. Alive if possible, but if his life must end, end it. Find out whom has inspired his perfidious deeds." (More)
> captured in our lands. Do so. Alive if possible, but if his life must end, end it. Find out whom has inspired his perfidious deeds." (More)
> "Finally, Malmuth. Our city is ripe with traders and diplomats pass through here. A potential wealth of information - find information, perhaps even recruiting those who may be favorable to our cause, discreetly. Gauge the Malmuthian thread, find out as much as you can about the now closed Empire. If they are behind this our wish us ill...we will not be caught unprepared."
<Shamal> "It seems there is much to do," Shamal notes, nonetheless resolved to her duty. "May the Gods smile on us in such interesting times."
* Lyselle nods, taking a deep breath to try and order her thoughts. "And may Helm continue to watch over us in our duties," she adds quietly, folding her hands. "Things just keep circling upwards."
> "Yes. As such..." Lord Salman rises, smiling slightly. "Captains. Go forth with my orders, for Balmuria, the United Baronies, and our continued glory and well being. I must return to the capital for now, but I will visit again in time. We cannot neglect this city now, you have helped us survive thus far."
<Shamal> Shamal's salute is almost but not quite perfect, but no less snappily given as Lord Salman rises. "Thank you, sir!" she replies enthusiastically to her promotion.
<Berlioz> The bard bows humbly, doing a far better job of keeping his enthusiasm at bay than the witch blonde. "It is an honor, my lord."
* Lyselle pauses for an instant, hardly believing the second sudden rise in rank before shadowing Shamal's movements, a snap to attention and salute, uncomfortably shifting into a more relaxed smile. "My deepest thanks for the opportunity, my lord."
> "I also believe that you'll have earned it soon," Lord Salman smiles, but only for a brief, grave moment. "Go now. Meet and obtain your monies, then go forth to your duties."
* Shamal adds a bow to her salute before departing, her head practically spinning with all that's just been unloaded on them.
* Lyselle makes a somewhat sweeping bow, smiling as she slips from the room, trying to think ahead, and failing miserably amidst the chaotic rush of information.
> ---
* Shamal yanks the sling out of the holy water and casts detect magic, first off.
> Shamal notes that the aura is still there. Shock.
<Shamal> Cast Light!
<Shamal> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 and gets 32." [1d100=32]
> The spell is absorbed in, the aura not seeming to change.
<Shamal> Cast Disrupt Undead!
<Shamal> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 and gets 68." [1d100=68]
> Link me?
<Shamal> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disruptUndead.htm
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 18." [1d100=18]
> That makes the entire aura buckle a bit. It wavers after.
<Shamal> Another disrupt undead for great justice!
<Shamal> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 and gets 97." [1d100=97]
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 3." [1d100=3]
> Oh for the love of...
<Shamal> It explodes?
> roll 1d20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20 and gets 20." [1d20=20]
> ...
> I...
> ...
<Shamal> Whatever happens, it's bound to be obvious!
> The aura's dark, necromantic power fades considerably. So does the potency overall, but it's still a moderate level aura, but far less dark aligned.
<Shamal> Now I cast Protection from Evil!
<Shamal> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 and gets 30." [1d100=30]
> The aura greedily drinks it up, replenishing. The aura has recovered, but the darkness is largely gone.
> (Sec, need to look something up.)
> Spellcraft.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+13
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+13 and gets 16." [1d20=3]
> The transmutation is still there. Past that, anyone's guess.
<Shamal> Two more spells, just for fun. First I go outside so as not to set my house on fire, then I cast resist energy (fire) on the sling, before sticking a flaming sphere on top of it for a few rounds.
> Roll a d20 for prot fire.
<Shamal> roll 1d20
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20 and gets 9." [1d20=9]
> The aura's transmutation drinks it right up. Now roll a d100 for the sphere.
<Shamal> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d100 and gets 82." [1d100=82]
> The sphere does not burn the sling, but it doesn't seem to quite affect it's aura too much, either.
> Spellcraft one more time.
<Shamal> roll 1d20+13
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+13 and gets 16." [1d20=3]
> Okay. Go.
<Shamal> I'll give it an hour to settle then cast detect magic again. If the aura hasn't changed in that time I'll Identify it (-100gp)
> The aura has. It's settling and rapidly - it'll be normal magic soon.
> You don't even need to use spellcraft to tell that, the change is obvious.
<Shamal> Okay. Identification time!
> Sling+1
> Grants Fire Resistance 5 and Cold Resistance 5. The Transmutation magic is mostly here.
> Grants Protection from Good and Protection from Evil at once. - This is a knot in the aura, self negating, one stopping the other. The last of the necromantic energies are tied up in there, but that's mostly gone.
<Shamal> Does the sling have to be wielded for the protection or just carried?
> Carried.
* Shamal ponders making it a collar for Laika.
<Shamal> Does the prot from good/evil cancel each other out, or does the benefit from each overlap?
> They cancel each other out. The magics are both there, but they direct counter each other into inactivity.
<Shamal> Oh well. Fire and Cold resistance 5 is nice.
* Shamal needs to come up with a fun name...
> Okay, while you do so. Is anyone purchasing anything?
<Shamal> I'll grab the ring of protection +1
> Post it in the topic for the sake of it not being forgotten or missed by others.
<Lyselle> I will, but I need a slightly more coherent plan at this point than I have right now, and I'm heading to work in a sec.
> Okay.
> Berli creature?
<Shamal> Antipode!
<Shamal> That's what I'll call it.
<Afina> Forever.