News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

A question about tone

Started by Ebiris, March 11, 2008, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

Okay, this is clearly a game about demons, who naturally do nasty things. The question is, where do we take it from there?

Do people want to play a silly and over the top, cartoon villain, style game, where an amusing spin is put on all the horrors of the Abyss? Would you prefer a more realistic take, showing off all the monstrous depravity that both humans and demons are capable of, with no punches pulled?

More to the point, it's about demons who's primary function occurs in the bedchamber. How far are people willing to take the perverse and erotic side of fiendish corruption?

Basically, I'd appreciate it if everyone were to clarify what their comfort zones are for this sort of thing, so that no one gets offended or made uncomfortable during play.

In the interests of fair play, I'll start. Firstly, I don't really want to play this for laughs. I'd prefer a more sinister and vicious take on demonic life - even if the demons themselves are able to find dark amusement in the suffering they cause, I don't want to pull any punches regarding the ruinous effect you will surely have on the world. As to the issue of sexuality, while I don't particularly want to play out a lemon fanfic, I feel it would be a disservice to the subject at hand to ignore it entirely. Therefore I'm happy to go heavy on the implications, and deal with it directly in passing, just so long as it doesn't become a strong focus to the game.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on March 11, 2008, 06:15:01 PM
Okay, this is clearly a game about demons, who naturally do nasty things. The question is, where do we take it from there?

Do people want to play a silly and over the top, cartoon villain, style game, where an amusing spin is put on all the horrors of the Abyss? Would you prefer a more realistic take, showing off all the monstrous depravity that both humans and demons are capable of, with no punches pulled?

More to the point, it's about demons who's primary function occurs in the bedchamber. How far are people willing to take the perverse and erotic side of fiendish corruption?

Basically, I'd appreciate it if everyone were to clarify what their comfort zones are for this sort of thing, so that no one gets offended or made uncomfortable during play.

In the interests of fair play, I'll start. Firstly, I don't really want to play this for laughs. I'd prefer a more sinister and vicious take on demonic life - even if the demons themselves are able to find dark amusement in the suffering they cause, I don't want to pull any punches regarding the ruinous effect you will surely have on the world. As to the issue of sexuality, while I don't particularly want to play out a lemon fanfic, I feel it would be a disservice to the subject at hand to ignore it entirely. Therefore I'm happy to go heavy on the implications, and deal with it directly in passing, just so long as it doesn't become a strong focus to the game.

I think this requires deciding what we want from this game first. Are we going to be tempting mortals primarily or other deeds? Our focus of attention matters to this more than anything else.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Without spoiling too much, the plan is that after a brief adventure in the Abyss to set the scene, you'll be sent to a large city on the Prime with orders to corrupt it as you see fit. I'm intending to run a more sandbox style game rather than a set of discrete adventures like for example Snowfall & Swordplay was.

Sierra

Quote from: Ebiris on March 11, 2008, 06:15:01 PMIn the interests of fair play, I'll start. Firstly, I don't really want to play this for laughs. I'd prefer a more sinister and vicious take on demonic life - even if the demons themselves are able to find dark amusement in the suffering they cause, I don't want to pull any punches regarding the ruinous effect you will surely have on the world.

Seconded in every regard. The kind of humor I like doesn't come from slapstick, so ramping up the cheese factor doesn't make a scenario more attractive to me.

QuoteAs to the issue of sexuality, while I don't particularly want to play out a lemon fanfic, I feel it would be a disservice to the subject at hand to ignore it entirely. Therefore I'm happy to go heavy on the implications, and deal with it directly in passing, just so long as it doesn't become a strong focus to the game.

Again, agreed. Implying/not dancing around the subject matter = good. I'm pretty tough to offend. Just as long as we avoid hard-core sex scenes, I think we're cool. That road can't lead anywhere good. It would also let Carthrat get away with saying "I told you so," and we CANNOT let that happen.

Carthrat

Hey hey HEY

If I *can't* say "I told you so" later I will be *seriously* impressed and regret not playing in this game. TAKE IT AS A CHALLENGE
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Corwin

You two losers, go away!

Seconding/thirding/whatever Eb&Cid.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 12, 2008, 03:15:34 PM
You two losers, go away!

Seconding/thirding/whatever Eb&Cid.

Cor got it about right. Seriously, could you two keep the snarkiness else ware?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

I pretty much agree with everyone, so far. The only thing that'll really be outside of my comfort zone would be the sex scenes. I don't mind implying and glossing over them, but I'm not really interested, in any way, expanding on the actual act. Beyond that, hell, go hog-wild.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.