Encyclopedia Robotica (I.E., the "crap you can buy" thread)

Started by Sierra, November 25, 2008, 10:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sierra

So, I statted up a batch of common, mass-produced mechs that can be purchased from any reputable dealer without any serious background checks or anything. Don't expect anything earthshaking here--hey, would I let you guys just buy anything game-breakingly powerful?--but you may find a use for some of them.

Note that all of these machines are nonsentient regardless of what their INT score might be. People are still kinda weird about self-aware AI (and doubly so with any machine that's constructed similarly enough to a human to fall into the uncanny valley). All of them will follow voice commands.

---

Aegis Security Safeguard 2700   CL2

Medium Droid, Non-heroic 8

Init: +16
Sense: Perception +11
Languages: Binary, English
-
Defenses: Ref 14 (10 flat-footed) Fort 10 Will 12
HP: 20
FP: N/A
Threshold: 10
Immune: Droid traits
-
Speed: 6
Melee: Stun Baton +9 (1d6+7, 2d6+7 on stun)
Ranged: N/A
Base Attack Bonus: +6   Grp: +9
Attack Options: Pin
Special Actions: N/A
Psi Powers Known: N/A
-
Abilities: STR 16 (+3) DEX 14 (+2) CON -- (-) INT 12 (+1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 12 (+1)
Talents: N/A
Feats: Skill Focus, Weapon Proficiency x2 (Advanced Melee Weapons, Simple Weapons), Martial Arts x2 (I, II), Pin
Skills: Initiative +16, Perception +11
Systems: Walking Locomotion, Hand Appendage x2, Basic Processor, Internal Comlink, Vocabulator, Translator Unit (DC10), Locked Access, Restraining Bolt, Droid Caller
Possessions: Stun Baton

Cost: 2,000

Description: Your basic bodyguard unit, a humanoid sentinel programmed to accompany a specific individual and protect them from threats. Not so much something a high-paid executive would keep around (they could afford much better toys, not to mention well-trained human meatshields) as it is something parents buy for peace of mind when they're going to be away from home for a while--something to watch the house and, perhaps, make sure the kid doesn't throw a party and trash the place while they're gone. Won't attack people on command, only in defense of its ward.

They tend to resemble classic sci-fi robots in appearance (think Gort). Capable of some basic interaction, but don't expect to hold a conversation with one.

---

Calius Exverminator   CL1

Tiny Droid, Non-heroic 4

Init: +12
Sense: Perception +11
Languages: Binary
-
Defenses: Ref 18 (13 flat-footed) Fort 11 Will 13
HP: 11
Threshold: 11
-
Speed: 4 walking, 6 hovering
Melee: Electroshock probe +3 (1d8+2 ion damage)
Base Attack Bonus: +3   Grp: +3
Attack Options: N/A
-
Abilities: STR 10 (-) DEX 20 (+5) CON -- (-) INT 10 (-) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 10 (-)
Feats: Skill Training x2, Dodge, Mobility, Improved Defenses
Skills: Initiative +12, Perception +11, Stealth +22
Systems: Hovering Locomotion, Walking Locomotion, Extra Legs, Basic Processor, Improved Sensor Package, Darkvision, Instrument Appendage, Claw Appendage, Restraining Bolt, Droid Caller
Possessions: N/A

Cost: 12,000

Description: Expensive, sure, but where else are you gonna get a stealth check like that? Actually manufactured for the purpose of patrolling building interiors to eradicate rodents (some high-security storage facilities prefer to buy a batch of these rather than trust human cleaning staff), the Exverminator model has found an active second life in the fields of surveillance and reconnaissance. It's small size and high agility make it ideal for sneaking into places no sentient being would fit. More than one conspiracy has been undone by one of these babies lurking in a dark corner with a recording device! To those burned by such improvised spying attempts, Calius Manufacturing maintains that they cannot be held responsible for any novel uses discovered by the Exverminator's many and satisfied customers, and cheerily continues to sell the device to anyone who can pay for it.

The Exverminator is a fist-sized sphere of compact construction: the four stubby legs, the electroshock arm, and the claw appendage all retract into the robot's interior when not in use. Typically sold in gunmetal black or gray.

---

KillTech Home Protection System Mk. 1: "Rex"   CL3

Medium Droid, Soldier 3

Init: +8
Sense: Perception +9, low-light vision, darkvision
-
Defenses: Ref 21 (19 flat-footed) Fort 16 Will 15
HP: 35
FP: 6
Threshold: 15
-
Melee: Bite +5 (1d8+4), +3 and 2d8+4 with Rapid Strike
Base Attack Bonus: +3   Grp: +5
Attack Options: Pin, Crush, Rapid Strike
-
Abilities: STR 15 (+2) DEX 14 (+2) CON -- (-) INT 10 (-) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 10 (-)
Talents: Melee Smash, Stunning Strike
Feats: Armor Proficiency x2 (Light, Medium), Improved Defenses, Combat Reflexes, Coordinated Attack, Pin, Crush, Rapid Strike
Skills: Initiative +8, Jump +8, Perception +9
Systems: Walking Locomotion, Extra Legs, Climbing Claws, Jump Servos, Magnetic Feet, Durasteel Shell, Basic Processor, Improved Sensor Package, Darkvision, Locked Access, Restraining Bolt, Droid Caller

Cost: 5,000

Description:: Wellington-based arms producer KillTech's original foray into the world of mechanized security. Local construction [note: these guys made a lot of your guns] keeps costs down, and KillTech Incorporated's elusive CEO Lucio Bernardino is glad to pass the savings on to you, the respected consumer! Man's best friend has protected his homes and businesses since the early days of domestication, so why should this change with humanity firmly entrenched in the space age? The fact that this loyal canine is built from a sturdy titanium alloy in no way diminishes its eagerness to protect your home and property!

The standard model sports a shiny chrome exterior and is fashioned to resemble the revered german shepherd. Synthetic fur coating included with 6,000 credit model. Inquire within for alternate breeds.

---

Masonite PorterPro   CL0

Medium Droid, Non-heroic 2

Init: +13
Sense: Perception +7
-
Defenses: Ref 14 (12 flat-footed) Fort 10 Will 11
HP: 6
-
Melee: Claw +5 (1d4+5)
Base Attack Bonus: +1   Grp: +5
-
Abilities: STR 19 (+4) DEX 14 (+2) CON -- (-) INT 8 (-1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 6 (-2)
Feats: Armor Proficiency (Light), Skill Training, Skill Focus, Dodge
Skills: Initiative +13, Perception +7
Systems: Hovering Locomotion, Claw Appendage (Telescopic), Plasteel Shell, Basic Processor, Compartment Space (10kg), Spring-loaded Mechanism, Locked Access, Restraining Bolt, Droid Caller

Cost: 1,000

Description: It's just a box. No, really, this is pretty much just a free-floating suitcase. It hauls your crap around so you don't have to. It can remove said crap and throw it at you if needed and is capable of whacking people who try to take stuff from it. The interior is protected with a DC 20 electronic lock.

---

Nikei Sharpshooter 400   CL2

Small Droid, Non-heroic 6

Init: +17
Sense: Perception +16, low-light vision, darkvision
-
Defenses: Ref 15 (11 flat-footed) Fort 10 Will 10
HP: 14
-
Speed: N/A (Stationary)
Melee: Instrument Arm +6 (3 damage), Self-destruct +9 (4d6+3, 2-square radius)
Ranged: Any pistol or rifle +9 (3dx+3)
Base Attack Bonus: +4   Grp: +6
-
Abilities: STR 14 (+2) DEX 18 (+4) CON -- (-) INT 12 (+1) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 4 (-3)
Feats: Weapon Proficiency x2 (Pistols, Rifles), Weapon Focus x2 (Pistols, Rifles), Skill Focus x2
Skills: Initiative +17, Perception +16
Systems: Instrument Appendage, Basic Processor, Improved Sensor Package, Darkvision, Self-Destruct System
Possessions: Pistol or rifle of the customer's choice (cannot use Heavy Weapons)

Cost: 1,000 + (weapon cost+50%)

Description: A simple and common security device. It's essentially just a bundle of combat programming that you bolt onto a wall (DC 15 Mechanics check for installation, real easy to just take 10 here) and a give a gun. Set standard hours of activation and excluded targets (anyone on the team, presumably), and you're good to go. Putting these on the outside of buildings is illegal in Pendleton for obvious reasons. Good accuracy, but being stationary means they don't last long if their first shot doesn't kill or scare away the intruder. Can be rigged to detonate if said intruder tries to remove the Sharpshooter's weapon.

---

Starforge Aeropatroller   CL1

Medium Droid, Scout 1

Init: +14
Sense: Perception +14, low-light vision, darkvision
-
Defenses: Ref 18 (14 flat-footed) Fort 13 Will 14
HP: 24
FP: 5
Threshold: 13
-
Speed: 12
Melee: Probe +1 (3 damage)
Base Attack Bonus: +0    Grp: +1
-
Abilities: STR 14 (+2) DEX 18 (+4) CON -- (-) INT 6 (-2) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 6 (-2)
Talents: Evasion
Feats: Dodge, Improved Defenses, Skill Focus x3
Skills: Initiative +14, Perception +14, Stealth +14
Systems: Flying Locomotion, Probe Appendage, Basic Processor, Secondary Battery, Improved Sensor Package, Darkvision, Compartment Space (10kg), Locked Access, Restraining Bolt, Droid Caller

Cost: 14,000

Description: Starship engine giant Starforge attempts to break into a new market with this miniaturized scoutship. A sleek, self-propelled airsled designed for exploration and reconnaissance, it comes in a variety of color schemes to suit any locale. Though wholly lacking in offensive capabilities, it's useful for exploring hazardous environments, monitoring a camp for threats while you sleep, or sending goods and materials from one location to another. Free flight doesn't come cheap, though.

Carthrat

How to the droids handle target differentiation? Biometrics? Carrying a pass of some kind?
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Sierra

Biometrics/visual recognition is the default, generally, but there are all manner of ways to set them up. Carrying a transmitter to render one "safe" is another option, yes, though it does open up the possibility of someone stealing yours and then using it (granted, you could have the mechs set up for visual recognition and that if you're really paranoid).

Idly, it'd be awesome if you guys came to any decisions about what you're going to buy (if anything) and where any purchases would go at HQ (if there at all) before next session.

Carthrat

Let's see.

I'd like to buy an Exverminator, since tiny robotic scouts are awesome stuff whenever we need to sneak around and do things, and it would facilitate that so much.

Automatic guns... we could use some for our office, I think (mainly around the lobby and front corridor; if they blast their way in from the back or side I doubt the automatic guns would be of help. Besides, we should have camears set up aroudn the side to stop that shit in the first place.) The ship, not so much; people are likely to sneak into the office, but if they're on the ship itself I'd be worried about them being turned against us, and I don't intend to get taken like we took the ship in the first place, anyway. I figure we can hide them behind sliding panels and deactivate them when we're meeting clients, but turn them on when we sleep or go out.

One Aeropatroller would be kind of cool. We can keep it in the cargo bay of the BW and launch it from high atmosphere whenever we want to scout somewehre without going down personally. We can also use it to facilitate trades if we don't want to appear in person.

Couple of the floating crates will probably come in handy sometime too, since 2/3 members of Lagoon Company have horrible strength.

Targo will not buy any babysitter security droids, unless they're like those automatic guns from Portal. (In fact, I hope Wil can rig up something with a mean sense of humour to the guns, so they laugh at people when they shoot at them or something like that.)

Sierra

Duly noted, Rat. You can note the transactions in group possessions thread now; I expect you guys to be on land again in the next session.

Also, you asked about motion sensors in chat, so here we are: 300 credits for your standard infrared laser. Invisible to the naked eye, if someone steps through the beam the device will notify whatever security devices you've linked it to (some kind of obnoxious alarm is standard, but it comes ready to interface with a variety of automatic weapons including the ones you're thinking of buying). The widest expanse these sensors can cover is twenty squares, but that should be enough for anyplace inside your office.

DC15 Mechanics to install, DC20 Use Computer to link it up to an autogun (multiple guns can be set to be triggered by the same motion sensor). So, Wil can easily take ten to do this but setting something up on the run is kind of a gamble.

Sliding wall panels to hide the guns are go (boosts the Mechanics check for installing the gun itself to DC20, but again, Wil can easily make that by taking ten). Perception check of 20 is needed for someone to notice that hey, that part of the wall looks like it could move aside oh shit.

Please specify where in the office the guns would go if you are indeed buying some? HQ map is in the Group Possessions thread.

Carthrat

Hmm...

I'm thinking two main guns in the foyer, two pointing at the lift (one on each floor), and one in the cells. All with motion sensors and blaster rifles, pretty much.

Carthrat

42,000 credits total for this... hmm. May need to cut some corners. Anything we can skip/don't want/etc?

Corwin

We don't need automated weaponry in the cells area. There is no way we're leaving some halfway competent prisoner there unattended. I'll look over the rest.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

We don't actually have a lift, just stairs, right? If we mount shit in our walls, can't we just place the guns in the wall that's adjacent to the corridor, so we could get the guns to come out on either side through the sliding panels? Then, they could either cover the first floor corridor/stairs, the foyer/meeting room, or one on each, however we want to use them at the time.

Carthrat

Hmm. I like this idea, and we only need them on the ground floor anyway, since that's where we'd keep anything worth protecting.

Ok, sure, that would let us cut down to two guns and... probably four motion sensors, two for each gun. (unless one per room is enough)

Corwin

Let's go with two, here. Redundancy is great. We can make one of them more obvious, so that someone could try to deactivate it, and trigger the trap.

Carthrat