News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Relaunch? Maybe?

Started by Dracos, May 23, 2009, 10:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Okay, this month has been pretty fail for getting games going.  Maybe it's a bad month.  Maybe I picked bad dates.  I dunno.  Merc showed up to all of them and pretty much was alone there.

Merc and trunky both suggested grabbing more folks.  I might be game for that.

I might also be game for a system change.

I know merc prefers 3.5 or 7th Sea.  I'm game for either of those.

This is a topic for voicing interest if you'd like to join or if we should can the game :P
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Jon is the fan of 7th Sea. I dunna know squat about dat one, capt'n crunch!

I'm still willing to give any system a shot as long as I can get a copy of the book and a few days to browse over it, though. And like I've said, I'm still willing to stick with 4e. Main problem is just that it's really party dependant system so it's hard when we continously lose our healer or just have 2-3 players around.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Edward

Quote from: Dracos on May 23, 2009, 10:50:20 PM
Okay, this month has been pretty fail for getting games going.  Maybe it's a bad month.  Maybe I picked bad dates.  I dunno.  Merc showed up to all of them and pretty much was alone there.

Admittedly, I haven't been hitting on all cylinders because of the flu, but I've showed up for every session I knew was scheduled. And the last session that I know was scheduled, everyone showed up for.

Quote from: Merc on May 24, 2009, 12:33:31 AM
Jon is the fan of 7th Sea. I dunna know squat about dat one, capt'n crunch!

I'm still willing to give any system a shot as long as I can get a copy of the book and a few days to browse over it, though. And like I've said, I'm still willing to stick with 4e. Main problem is just that it's really party dependant system so it's hard when we continously lose our healer or just have 2-3 players around.

I think this sums up the problems with 4th Ed, though I've liked it a lot more than I expected to.  Switching to 3.5 would keep all of these problems and remove the elements that I thought made the game more swashbuckling - Action Points, starting characters that can take more than one hit, heavy armor is not required to have good defenses.

7th Sea is designed for swashbuckling - Drama Dice are like Action Points only cooler.  It also has rules for ship-to-ship combat, though it's probably the weakest part of the system.  It also has magic, but it's radically different from D&D magic.  It's also out-of-print.

I haven't played Savage Worlds, but I've heard its a simple, fast-paced system.  It also has two different books that would probably be very useful for a Skies of Arcadia style game - Pirates of the Spanish Main and Sundered Skies.  I'm pretty sure it also has ship-to-ship combat rules, which is helpful for a pirating game.
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Dracos

I've been updating the topic, but I guess it wasn't obvious enough :(

Good to hear that it was something as simple as failed communication lines though and good to see you back.

I have the 7th Sea book somewhere.  I might refresh it soon and think that way :)
Well, Goodbye.

Edward

It doesn't help when the topic starts with "Next session will be: Currently not scheduled."

If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Dracos

That's a good point :(  My bad there.  I didn't even notice that was  still up there when I was modifying the post.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

I'd like for all interested parties to show up this saturday, normal gaming time.
Well, Goodbye.

Edward

Sorry, didn't seen the message till today and I couldn't have made it last night anyway.  I am still interested.

Dracos

Alright, it happens. 

http://www.soulriders/files/7th_Sea_-_Players_Guide_-_AEG7001.pdf

http://www.crystalkeep.com/7thsea/rules/Blank%20Character.doc

You have 105 character points to start off with.  We'll be trying to narratively pick up where we left off, but that doesn't mean you can't swap out your character with something wholly new.

I may rename our ingame settings to just match the rulebook ones for ease.  Not sure yet.
Well, Goodbye.

Edward

Thanks for the character sheet I already have the books.

Some suggestions for character building

Take Athletics - you're a swashbuckler, you should be using these Knacks regularly.

Advanced Knacks are expensive at character creation and cheap afterwards.  Take them at character creation only if they're really important to your character concept.

Swordsman schools are an investment in the future.   It's choosing less cool now for more cool later.

Academy and University can bring down Skill costs

Trunkyboy

So you're the one I should bug about creating a char instead of merc?  And 105 points?  In irc you said 108.
riss and I against the world!

Rackham and Nirae get no breaks...

Why, oh why wasn't I born rich?

Dracos

I did not.  I said 105.

Good to hear someone knows what they're doing :)  I'll be learning still for a bit.

On whedling, I've permitted: http://www.crystalkeep.com/7thsea/rules/7thsea-schools-handbook.pdf to also be used in char creation.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

When handling why our characters are suddenly different, I vote we use the excuse "And suddenly, Superboy punched reality in the face, changing everything as we know it. Well, except the plot. Characters, world and rules are totally different though. Work with me here..."
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Hah.  :)

But yeah, I was largely intending to handwave it.  :)
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Reminder: We're gonna try and roll tomorrow night.  Do any final checks and such :)
Well, Goodbye.