News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

House rules!

Started by Anastasia, September 04, 2009, 02:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

1: Toughness is improved toughness.  You can't stack it.
2: Monks have full BAB.
3: Dodge is a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC. No calling your target bullshit.
4: All planar PCs have Knowledge: Planes as a class skill at all times.
5: All classes gain +2 skill points per level.
6: There is no such thing as a Gnome Gutter. STOP ASKING CID.
7. Short/longbows automatically add your strength modifier for damage. No more mighty/composite/whatever bows to deal with. Crossbows are unaffected.
8. The three Celerity spells(SC) are banned.
9. Paladins use charisma as their primary casting stat instead of wisdom. Wisdom is now not required to build a paladin.
10. You can retrain feats whenever you have reasonable amounts of downtime. Don't try to abuse it.
11. Climb can use strength or dexterity.
12. Don't give Mari things to drink. She'll drink anything!
13. Favored souls use only charisma. No stat split for them.
14. Liches>>>>Nikkolai.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

No Kobot?  :P

*suggests a house rule*
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I wouldn't mind if that also applied to CoG, but it doesn't make a significant difference in my case (a +3 instead of a +2).  It's basically an extra level 3 spell, and getting it one level early I guess.  Wouldn't hurt, but CoG never gets a really meaningful spellcasting ability anyway.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

It's not a huge deal, no. Go ahead and apply it for the sake of consistency.

Anyone have any decent suggestions for houserules while I'm at it?
<Afina> Forever.

VySaika

> all I can think of that relevent is perhaps allowing Climb to be used with Dex or Str instead of just Str
> it's a rule I use in my games, and certainly relevent for Adail and his infiltration antics
<Cidward> Mari would approve as well, of course.
<Kobrb> Post it in the thread then. <_<
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Dracos

I have no problem really with that being applied to a few relevant atheletic skills.

It does obsolete a set of low powered magic items in MiC though that give just those effects for a few hundred gp.
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

Well, I'm looking at the Warblade's weapon aptitude class feature with a lean and hungry look. Could it, perchance, be featified? Also wondering if there's a stance on retraining- I'm thinking that being able to switch feats like a sorcerer switches spells on even levelups could be neat.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

Personally, I'd think fighters should just get it.  It really isn't powerful at all (you still get your feats only toward one direction after all), but it does totally let fighter types go "Oh, you dropped a really spiffy mace?  I want to try being a mace fighter for a while".

Wow, we haven't even talked about retraining so far. :)  Heh, I tend to be a fan of having some kind of retraining, but I'm not looking really to ever use it much (In fact I don't think I ever have, but I like the 'try stuff out' concept of it).  Every other level seems pointless.  Why not just by the Phb 2 retraining rules or whatnot?  It's not like we're hyper leveling up.  We've gained one level so far in 12 sessions.  Assuming it goes at that rate, it'll be a retrain once every 24 weeks :P.  Far better to just say if there's extended downtime narratively you can talk with Ko about it or something.

I really like the increased feat house rule I suggested for jon's game swiped from iron heroes, but it's probably inappropriate here (We're not going for that higher power level).  Main reason I like it is the same reason I like the skill points, a little more flavor opportunity, folks spread out a bit more in what they're doing.  Feats though are a lot bigger power modifier in most cases.

I suggested another rule for jon's game that I think is neat, but I kind of want to see how it plays in practice (as much as gestalt would obliterate that).  Basically the rule was that you didn't need to buy the first +1 for enhancement.  This suddenly dropped most effect stuff down into the 8000-18000 range, rather than the 18000+ range, which potentially significantly increases weapons and armor that do things rather than just give modifiers.
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

I would rather not reduce the cost on weapons/armour like that, with the possible exception of arrows owing to their expendable nature. Increasing feat count retroactively probably shouldn't happen either.

Every other level prevents people completely reinventing themselves and seemed like a pretty simple way to go about it. It's also a rule that can be summed up in a line! Perks ahoy!

Anastasia

I've mentioned this in PM to a few people, but retraining is fine. Whenever you have downtime(ask if you're not sure) you can retrain a feat. As long as you aren't horribly abusing this I have no problem with retraining feats.

No to more feats. I'm trying to keep the power level within reasonable bounds. If you really want more feats, take levels of fighter. <_<

I have no opinion on the magical item suggestion. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm trying to avoid magic-marts this game and buying most of your magical gear, so it's not a big deal.

If you want to draw something up like that, it's fine Rat. I'll make an exception to my no ToB stuff since that suits your style of using various weapons really well.

Climb can use str or dex.

Updating 1st post in a moment.

<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

I would like to toss these out for consideration.

Measured Blows [General]
Prerequisites: Melee/Ranged Weapon Mastery, BaB +10
Effect: When taking a full attack action with a suitable weapon, all iterative attacks that do not use your highest attack bonus get a +1 bonus to hit. (For example, if your base attack bonus is +15/+10/+5, taking this feat would change it to +15/+11/+8. If you wielded two weapons for an attack routine of +13/+13/+8/+3, it would become +13/+13/+8/+4.

Additionally, you can take a penalty to your first attack to increase the chance of another hitting. For every -1 to you take to your first strike, you can add +1 to another. You can only increase the chances of a single attack in this fashion; you can't split the bonus between several strikes. You can't give an attack a higher overall bonus than your original maximum (if your attack is +6/+1, you can't take -6 to the first to make the other +7.)

Impale [General]
Prerequisites: Melee Weapon Mastery (Piercing), Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Combat, Improved Grapple BaB +10
Effect: As a full action or as part of a charge, you can attempt to impale a foe upon a piercing weapon. You make a single attack at your full attack bonus; if it hits, you deal normal damage and can make an immediate grapple check. The opponent doesn't get an attack of opportunity against this.

If successful, you move into your opponents space and he is impaled (dealing normal weapon damage a second time, as normal for grapples.) Treat this as a grapple with the following exceptions.

-Regardless of the size of your weapon, you can continue to use it to make attacks against your opponent whilst in the grapple. Successful opposed grapple checks on your part likewise deal the weapon damage, rather than your normal unarmed damage.
-If you are disarmed or your weapon is sundered, the grapple immediately ends.

Skewering Charge [General]
Prerequisites: Spirited Charge, Cleave, BaB +6
Effect: When you drop an opponent as part of a mounted charge, you can continue your movement and make a second charge attack against another target. Your movement must remain within the restrictions of your original charge attack (i.e. you cannot change direction.) It gains all the usual benefits of a mounted charge, including increased damage.

Shield Wall [General]
Prerequisites: Shield Ward
Effect: When you are adjacent to an ally, as an immediate action, you can choose to add your shield bonus to their AC until the beginning of your next turn. They gain the same bonuses you would, including those granted by Shield Ward for as long as you remain adjacent to them, as well as special properties the shield may hold, such as fire resistance. While this ability is in effect, you lose all bonuses provided by the shield.
Special: The bonus provided by Shield Wall to your allies explicitly stacks with any shield bonus they might possess. A character can only benefit from one use of Shield Wall at a time.

Tension Shot [General]
Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Base Attack Bonus +11
Effect: You can take a full-round action to prepare a single attack with a bow that strikes with tremendous force. You can take the shot from just before the beginning of your next turn, or take a ready or hold action to delay your firing to a later point. The attack deals double damage, and you can apply Power Attack to the bowshot.

Any attack on you that deals damage before you fire the shot forces a concentration check as though you were casting a spell. The DC is equal to 10+the damage dealt. If you fail, the shot is ruined and you must begin again.

When your base attack bonus reaches +16, damage from the shot is tripled, rather than doubled.

Anastasia

If I don't decline or approve a feat this time, it's because I asked questions and I want answers first.

Quote from: Carthrat on December 31, 2009, 02:14:56 AM
I would like to toss these out for consideration.

Measured Blows [General]
Prerequisites: Melee/Ranged Weapon Mastery, BaB +10
Effect: When taking a full attack action with a suitable weapon, all iterative attacks that do not use your highest attack bonus get a +1 bonus to hit. (For example, if your base attack bonus is +15/+10/+5, taking this feat would change it to +15/+11/+8. If you wielded two weapons for an attack routine of +13/+13/+8/+3, it would become +13/+13/+8/+4.

Additionally, you can take a penalty to your first attack to increase the chance of another hitting. For every -1 to you take to your first strike, you can add +1 to another. You can only increase the chances of a single attack in this fashion; you can't split the bonus between several strikes. You can't give an attack a higher overall bonus than your original maximum (if your attack is +6/+1, you can't take -6 to the first to make the other +7.)

What's a suitable weapon? A weapon melee/ranged mastery applies to? I don't follow your math in the first examples - +1 to the +10 and +3 to the +5. Clarify what you mean?

QuoteImpale [General]
Prerequisites: Melee Weapon Mastery (Piercing), Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Combat, Improved Grapple BaB +10
Effect: As a full action or as part of a charge, you can attempt to impale a foe upon a piercing weapon. You make a single attack at your full attack bonus; if it hits, you deal normal damage and can make an immediate grapple check. The opponent doesn't get an attack of opportunity against this.

If successful, you move into your opponents space and he is impaled (dealing normal weapon damage a second time, as normal for grapples.) Treat this as a grapple with the following exceptions.

-Regardless of the size of your weapon, you can continue to use it to make attacks against your opponent whilst in the grapple. Successful opposed grapple checks on your part likewise deal the weapon damage, rather than your normal unarmed damage.
-If you are disarmed or your weapon is sundered, the grapple immediately ends.

Why is Power Attack a prerequisite? It has nothing to do with the feat as far as I can tell and there are already three good prerequisites. I'd also change improved unarmed combat to improved grapple, it's more fitting than improved unarmed strike. Anyway, this is improved grab on steroids.  I'm guessing you intend to couple this with lance charges and Spirited charge?

QuoteSkewering Charge [General]
Prerequisites: Spirited Charge, Cleave, BaB +6
Effect: When you drop an opponent as part of a mounted charge, you can continue your movement and make a second charge attack against another target. Your movement must remain within the restrictions of your original charge attack (i.e. you cannot change direction.) It gains all the usual benefits of a mounted charge, including increased damage.

Ride by attack should be the prerequisite instead of spirited charge. We can try this one.

QuoteShield Wall [General]
Prerequisites: Shield Ward
Effect: When you are adjacent to an ally, as an immediate action, you can choose to add your shield bonus to their AC until the beginning of your next turn. They gain the same bonuses you would, including those granted by Shield Ward for as long as you remain adjacent to them, as well as special properties the shield may hold, such as fire resistance. While this ability is in effect, you lose all bonuses provided by the shield.
Special: The bonus provided by Shield Wall to your allies explicitly stacks with any shield bonus they might possess. A character can only benefit from one use of Shield Wall at a time.

This needs a clause of that if you or the target moved or is moved from being adjacent, the benefit should end immediately. It's fine otherwise.

QuoteTension Shot [General]
Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Base Attack Bonus +11
Effect: You can take a full-round action to prepare a single attack with a bow that strikes with tremendous force. You can take the shot from just before the beginning of your next turn, or take a ready or hold action to delay your firing to a later point. The attack deals double damage, and you can apply Power Attack to the bowshot.

Any attack on you that deals damage before you fire the shot forces a concentration check as though you were casting a spell. The DC is equal to 10+the damage dealt. If you fail, the shot is ruined and you must begin again.

When your base attack bonus reaches +16, damage from the shot is tripled, rather than doubled.

This is fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

QuoteWhat's a suitable weapon? A weapon melee/ranged mastery applies to? I don't follow your math in the first examples - +1 to the +10 and +3 to the +5. Clarify what you mean?

Yeah, mastery implies suitability. I originally designed it was a straight +3 to all secondary attacks, so the math there is a holdover; it should be +15/+11/+6.

QuoteWhy is Power Attack a prerequisite? It has nothing to do with the feat as far as I can tell and there are already three good prerequisites. I'd also change improved unarmed combat to improved grapple, it's more fitting than improved unarmed strike. Anyway, this is improved grab on steroids.  I'm guessing you intend to couple this with lance charges and Spirited charge?

Power attack's a prereq because you've got to j-j-JAM IT IN. Improved Grapple is already a prereq, I'm inconsistant and sometimes list the prereqs to prereqs. And while that did occur to me after designing it, it was actually intended for use whilst on foot, with a rapier. Since I need to um jump off my horse to grapple people with a lance charge, that seems like it could go so wrong in so many ways, you know? (and I wouldn't expect the secondary hit to have tripled damage, too.)

It's also not actually as good as improve grab typically is on monsters, since they can usually do that as part of a full attack routine. The use of weapons does make it better, but monsters typically have good natural attacks, too.

QuoteThis needs a clause of that if you or the target moved or is moved from being adjacent, the benefit should end immediately. It's fine otherwise.

I specified that it only works as long as you're adjacent to your target, which should cover that.

Anastasia

They're fine then, at worst I tell you to retrain them if they end up broken.
<Afina> Forever.