News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Interest Assessment: Tome of Battle in Eberron

Started by Jon, November 28, 2009, 01:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navilee

I shall check it out!

Coincidentally: How are we figuring HP?   And would some some feats from Complete Adventurer (Versatile Performer/Lingering Presence) work?

Originally was going for Artificer but it was hard to mesh it with ToB classes.  And ToB was managing to annoy me unduly.

Dracos

What languages are generally setting appropriate?  Is it just what's in the eb core book and not the phb?  Combining them there are way too many languages to look over for the couple of options.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Newbie question with ToB:

Do we/can we have the notion of default stances?  Some stances such as hearing the wind seem almost best used passively during travel (+5 listen, blindsense).

Clarify:
Can we basically say, 'hey we're in x stance' and be assumed to have the benefits of x stance in both random events (Make listen check to see if you hear guys sneaking up on you) or combat starting (already be in stance x without spending a swift action to switch into stance x).

Rationale behind question:
On one hand, this at least saves a swift action, making it cheap.
On the other, stances are 'until you decide to end them'.  so...
Well, Goodbye.

Navilee

Quote from: Dracos on November 28, 2009, 02:35:22 PM

Do we/can we have the notion of default stances?  Some stances such as hearing the wind seem almost best used passively during travel (+5 listen, blindsense).

Clarify:
Can we basically say, 'hey we're in x stance' and be assumed to have the benefits of x stance in both random events (Make listen check to see if you hear guys sneaking up on you) or combat starting (already be in stance x without spending a swift action to switch into stance x).

On the other, stances are 'until you decide to end them'.  so...

Well, a swift action to shift into a stance isn't that bad once combat's on, and it only takes a swift to go from X to Y.  Or to Y directly.

And, IIRC, you can get stances (like maneuvers) back post-combat by spending... 5 minutes, was it?

Jon

Jeez, guys, let me answer...

I handwave material components (Everyone gets the benefit of Eschew Materials for free, with a ceiling of 50gp instead of 1gp. this ceiling will go up over time as you level. By level 20, you won't need the 5000gp diamonds for raise dead.)

Food can likewise be handwaved; you'd be expense-accounting it anyway, and this isn't Spreadsheets and Sycophants. In fact, if you can feasibly carry the stuff, you can basically buy a "handwave any of the cheap mundane items (30 gp or less in cost, not including alchemical items)" kit for 100 gp. A Handy Haversack is probably a good idea.

Languages are as in the Eberron book. I've traditionally gone with 3/4 of the HP die at levels 2+, though I'm willing to let you roll your HP if you want.

Navilee

Jon

Quote from: Dracos on November 28, 2009, 02:35:22 PM

Do we/can we have the notion of default stances?  Some stances such as hearing the wind seem almost best used passively during travel (+5 listen, blindsense).

Clarify:

On the other, stances are 'until you decide to end them'.  so...

ToB 38 says "You can remain in a stance outside of combat situations, and you can enjoy its benefit while traveling." You're welcome to say "unless I declare otherwise, I'm in this stance"; all this means is, you always initiate that stance when you wake up.

Jon

Options from the Complete books and Races of books, as well as any other 1st-party splatbook, will be evaluated by me on a case-by-case basis. You want to use a splatbook, though, you take responsibility for sharing it with the class; everyone should be on equal footing here. Also, splatbook stuff should be for a bit of flavor, not essential to your character. Lingering Song and Versatile Performer are acceptable.

Navilee

Quote from: Jon on November 28, 2009, 03:09:32 PM
Options from the Complete books and Races of books, as well as any other 1st-party splatbook, will be evaluated by me on a case-by-case basis. You want to use a splatbook, though, you take responsibility for sharing it with the class; everyone should be on equal footing here. Also, splatbook stuff should be for a bit of flavor, not essential to your character. Lingering Song and Versatile Performer are acceptable.

Hoorah.  I tend to steer away from too many splatbooks.  I think my sheet's just about finished, now; shall I PM you the link?

Jon

No house rules this time, unless they prove to be necessary.

I like to go for a cinematic style of play with arcs/mini-campaigns of various lengths. The first one will be short, after which you'll have the ability to adjust your PC if you so desire.

Re: healing and rest: HP will be healed if you take what 4e calls an "extended rest". We'll handwave this as the result of healthy living and the Cleric spontaneously casting healing with any spells he has left at the end of the day. Death can happen and will need to be resolved according to the rules. (TPK would be retconned, though.)

Jon

New allowed classes: Favored Soul (see source material archive) and Divine Bard.

Navilee

Favored Soul is the Clerics like Sorcerers are to Wizards, right?

Jon

Quote from: Navilee on November 28, 2009, 04:30:47 PM

Basically, yes. Limited spell selection, but spontaneous casting. Also, wings!

Navilee

Quote from: Jon on November 28, 2009, 04:59:32 PM
Basically, yes. Limited spell selection, but spontaneous casting. Also, wings!

Wings make everything better.