News:

"If it has HP, we can kill it."

Main Menu

Miscellania

Started by Anastasia, December 10, 2009, 03:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

From the PM of DOOM:

I'd put an immediate action Benign Transposition as a 6th level spell, ballpark. You're paying to be able to bend the normal flow of actions. Write it up and post it, we'll see how it looks.

QuoteNext is epic stuff. I bugged you about some sort of epic feat for doubling/increasing lower-level spell slots, and wrote some variants up. You didn't like one of them, but I'm not sure what you meant on the other. I'd like to see if I have any prayer of doing this with feats, or if I should just grit my teeth and buy up rings of wizardry right now.

Let's try this then:

Superior Magic Capacity [Epic]
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 13 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane or divine spells, primary casting stat 23
Benefit: You gain 150% of your normal allotment of spellslots for your 0, 1st, 2nd and 3rd level spells. Calculate this before adding in bonus spell slots from high attribute scores and items. For example, a 21st level wizard who took this feat would have (6*1.5=9) 9 first level spell slots.

It's hard to say exactly how extra low level slots impact an epic game unless you're purely using them as fuel for something like arcane strike. I removed automatic stacking since if this feat chain was continued I'd want different pre-requisites.

QuoteAlso of interest is the War Wizard prc, which I thought could become an epic one if brought over from 3.0. Just hoping to see what you'd do with it, since it hits a lot of the points I think epic wizardry's all about.

It'll be awhile. PrC design is hard and time consuming. Why don't you elaborate again on what you'd want from this? You did so in PM before but I can't seem to find it.

Quotet just might be a dozen things, maybe?  >_>   Eb's right, turning Amaryl into a drow is pretty hilarious, but might be fun if she wants it? No stigma, either! I should totally ask Waukeen to give her sexy SR and +dex/int/cha. Right, getting back on track.

Can you imagine the angst? <_< In all seriousness there's not been a single drown seen or referenced in this campaign; Lolth doesn't exist as far as you guys know. (Knowing something doesn't exist that normally does...that's one hell of a logical contortion to consider IC, isn't it?)

QuoteStuff about petitioners.

Do remember that most petitioners don't remember their mortal life. There are exceptions - Alicia is looking to be one as she ascends directly into being an angel of Mystra - but the norm is that your past life fades away. It's possible some of these people won't remember who they were.

QuoteTrying to meet Honeydip doesn't actually have to happen here. I could see her once I return, too, since she did mention being there for us once she gets free, and you wanted to do more stuff in Pallanth (same here, but that got slightly delayed). She probably can't teach me the secrets of her awesome aura, but I'd like to have some tips on how to be useful as a commander, not just an individual, and to actually earn my nominal title. Spending some time around the friends I've gathered together would also be fun. Realistically, it won't take longer than Jessica's wedding, I figure, so it only looks huge when I write about all my intentions and requests!

Honeydip's aura are from being a 21st level Marshal. If you really want them you can take a Marshal dip.  Tips on commanding are fine though.

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

-A 21st level wizard has 4 slots max.  :(

-I could just convert the prc myself and post/PM it, as you'd prefer.

-Aww, no drow.

-I expect as much, but I can't actually know in advance if more exceptions exist unless I make the effort. Waukeen could tell me not to bother and I won't, of course.

-Diplo-inspired zealotry is fine though, right?  >_>
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 07, 2010, 01:34:21 PM
-A 21st level wizard has 4 slots max.  :(

Whoops! I was looking at the sorc table. 1/2 is probably too little then, my bad.

Quote-I could just convert the prc myself and post/PM it, as you'd prefer.

If you want to take a try at it first feel free.

Quote-Aww, no drow.

If I knew you two would be such drow fanboys I would've included them and had Antenora be a renegade drow matron. <_< Then again, I wonder if it would turn Balmuria into a game of seduce the pet drow girl. >_>

Quote-Diplo-inspired zealotry is fine though, right?  >_>

Yes.

This touches on a related point, which is the mess that is diplomacy checks. I usually end up heavily modding and winging diplo checks depending on the situation, though using diplomacy checks for zealotry and inspirational leadership is entirely epic. Maybe make a new epic skill use for diplomacy?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Requirements

Alignment: Any nonevil, nonchaotic
Skills: Spellcraft 13 ranks, Knowledge/Arcana 13 ranks
Feats: Enlarge Spell, Widen Spell, Martial Weapon Proficiency (any)
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th level arcane spells, Int 25 or Cha 25

Class Skills

Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge/any (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: War Wizards gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Spells per Day: When a character gains a new level of War Wizard, she gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class.
Weapon Focus: The War Wizard gains a free Weapon Focus feat for a martial weapon of her choice. She must be proficient with that weapon in order to apply this feat to it.
Epic Metamagic Feat: At 2nd level and again at 4th level, the War Wizard gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.
Widen Spell: Beginning at 3rd level, a War Wizard may cast a spell as if it were under the effects of the Widen Spell feat. She does not need to prepare this in advance, and it does not increase the casting time or use a higher spell slot. The War Wizard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + her Charisma bonus (if any).
Enhanced Spell Area: Any time a War Wizard of 5th level casts a spell modified by the Widen Spell feat, any numeric measurements of the spell's area increase by 200% rather than 100%. Thus, a widened fireball spell would have a 60ft radius spread instead of a 40ft radius spread.

The War Wizard

Class Level   BAB      Special         Spells per Day
1st      +0      Weapon Focus      +1 level of existing class
2nd      +1      Epic Metamagic Feat   +1 level of existing class
3rd      +1      Widen Spell              +1 level of existing class
4tht      +2      Epic Metamagic Feat   +1 level of existing class
5th      +2      Enhanced Spell Area   +1 level of existing class

Again, I tried to stay as close to the original as possible. Replaced Scry with GI, added the epic prereqs you have for epic arcane feats (relevant skills at 13 ranks, primary caster stat at 25), took out the two good saves due to epic, converted the bonus metamagic feats to epic. Kept the spellcasting prereq below 9th level both to keep it accessible and because epic srd prcs have stuff like this too, like the Hight Proselytizer. Enhanced Spell Area makes Widen Spell triple the area rather than doubling it, as normally, which is another change. Given that in 3.0 it gave what Widen Spell now gives by default, and it being the capstone ability, I figured it was appropriate. I still don't get why the boring and useless Enlarge Spell needs to be one of the prereqs, but I guess it's there to make you waste a feat on it or something. As always, thoughts and comments?

Corwin

DrowStuff is mostly jokes, so don't take it too seriously. Diplo-wise, I realize it's a stupid skill but given the use it's been having in the game, both of us sunk quite a few ranks into it. Epic uses for it would be cool. I really do think the SRD one is fine (Fanatic, laf), only the implementation needs a bit of work. It could only work in battle, say? Or with what Exalted would call a stunt? It could even be built on, to have ever-increasing levels of zealotry that we would legitimately be able to inspire in our manly goons.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 08, 2010, 10:12:45 AM
Requirements

Alignment: Any nonevil, nonchaotic
Feats: Enlarge Spell, Widen Spell, Martial Weapon Proficiency (any)
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th level arcane spells, Int 25 or Cha 25

The alignment requirements should go, this isn't a particularly anti-chaotic or anti-evil class.  I'd ditch the feat pre-reqs for the moment. I'd raise the spellcasting requirement to at least 5th or 6th level if not a little higher. The ability score requirement should go entirely, classes generally don't require an ability score to enter.

QuoteClass Skills

Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge/any (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

I'd add decipher script instead of gather information; there's really no basis in this class for including it. Decipher script is one of the wizard core skills so stick with that.

QuoteWeapon Focus: The War Wizard gains a free Weapon Focus feat for a martial weapon of her choice. She must be proficient with that weapon in order to apply this feat to it.

Why should you work to get to an epic PrC then get a feat you can take at level 1 as a benefit? An epic PrC shouldn't mess around with giving limp payouts like this. At the very least improve it to epic weapon focus; better yet, make it something that fits better into the point of the class.

QuoteEpic Metamagic Feat: At 2nd level and again at 4th level, the War Wizard gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.

Wizard classes get a bonus feat every 3 levels RAW and could stand to be bumped to 4. This isn't a big deal for a 5 level PrC, though I'd consider trimming one of the feats off and replacing it with something more thematic to the class.

QuoteWiden Spell: Beginning at 3rd level, a War Wizard may cast a spell as if it were under the effects of the Widen Spell feat. She does not need to prepare this in advance, and it does not increase the casting time or use a higher spell slot. The War Wizard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + her Charisma bonus (if any).

This could be handled in a few ways. You could give Automatic Widen Spell as a bonus feat, though that's more limited unless you get more than one application of it.  Alternately, I'd consider changing the uses per day as being off charisma.

QuoteEnhanced Spell Area: Any time a War Wizard of 5th level casts a spell modified by the Widen Spell feat, any numeric measurements of the spell's area increase by 200% rather than 100%. Thus, a widened fireball spell would have a 60ft radius spread instead of a 40ft radius spread.

This isn't bad. It's not worth the capstone, but it's not bad.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Requirements

Feats: Empower Spell, Widen Spell
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 6th level arcane spells

Class Skills

Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge/any (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: War Wizards gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Spells per Day: When a character gains a new level of War Wizard, she gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class.
Spontaneous Widen Spell: The War Wizard may cast a spell as if it were under the effects of the Widen Spell feat. She does not need to prepare this in advance, and it does not increase the casting time or use a higher spell slot. The War Wizard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + the modifier for her main casting ability (Intelligence or Charisma, as appropriate).
Epic Metamagic Feat: At 2nd level and again at 4th level, the War Wizard gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.
Unbound Spell: Once per day, a wizard can double the damage dice of a spell. Thus, a 17CL War Wizard would get nine missiles casting Magic Missile, or 17d6 damage casting Fireball.
Enhanced Spell Area: Any time a War Wizard of 5th level casts a spell modified by the Widen Spell feat, any numeric measurements of the spell's area increase by 200% rather than 100%. Thus, a widened fireball spell would have a 60ft radius spread instead of a 40ft radius spread.
War Spell: Once per day, a wizard can call on a spell cast with the Widen Spell or Spontaneous Wide Spell benefit, and increase the spell's area exponentially. The radius of this spell increases by 1000%.

The War Wizard

Class Level   BAB      Special                               Spells per Day
1st      +0      Spontaneous Widen Spell                 +1 level of existing class
2nd      +1      Epic Metamagic Feat                      +1 level of existing class
3rd      +1      Unbound Spell                               +1 level of existing class
4tht      +2      Epic Metamagic Feat                      +1 level of existing class
5th      +2      Enhanced Spell Area, War Spell         +1 level of existing class

Anastasia

QuoteSpontaneous Widen Spell: The War Wizard may cast a spell as if it were under the effects of the Widen Spell feat. She does not need to prepare this in advance, and it does not increase the casting time or use a higher spell slot. The War Wizard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + the modifier for her main casting ability (Intelligence or Charisma, as appropriate).

I'd allow it to be Widen or Enlarge spell, as both are aspects of the class.

QuoteUnbound Spell: Once per day, a wizard can double the damage dice of a spell. Thus, a 17CL War Wizard would get nine missiles casting Magic Missile, or 17d6 damage casting Fireball.

I'd do this as a Sudden Enhance Spell feat. A bit more limited, though.

The rest of this is fine. I'd still trim down the open bonus feat to one, probably at 3rd level and shift around the benefits slightly. This is better though. The capstone of a 10x range/area spell feels like the point of this. Throwing around a mansion sized fireball fits epic scale.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Okay. From this and your comments in #e, how about:

Requirements

Class Skills

Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge/any (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Class Features

Spontaneous Widen Spell: The War Wizard may cast a spell as if it were under the effects of the Widen Spell feat. She does not need to prepare this in advance, and it does not increase the casting time or use a higher spell slot. The War Wizard can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + the modifier for her main casting ability (Intelligence or Charisma, as appropriate).
Epic Metamagic Feat: At 3rd level, the War Wizard gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.
Unbound Spell: Once per day, a wizard can double the damage dice of a spell. Thus, a 17CL War Wizard would get nine missiles casting Magic Missile, or 17d6 damage casting Fireball.
Enhanced Spell Area: Any time a War Wizard of 4th level casts a spell modified by the Widen Spell feat, any numeric measurements of the spell's area increase by 200% rather than 100%. Thus, a widened fireball spell would have a 60ft radius spread instead of a 40ft radius spread.
War Spell: Once per day, a 5th level War Wizard can call on a spell cast with the Widen Spell or Spontaneous Wide Spell benefit, and increase the spell's area exponentially. The radius of this spell increases by 1000%.

The War Wizard

Class
Level    BAB      Special                                      Spells per Day
1st      +0      Spontaneous Widen Spell                 +1 level of existing class
2nd      +1      Unbound Spell                               +1 level of existing class
3rd      +1      Epic Metamagic Feat                       +1 level of existing class
4tht      +2     Enhanced Spell Area                       +1 level of existing class
5th      +2       War Spell                                     +1 level of existing class

War Spell and Unbound Spell were borrowed from the epic feats txt you have on the epic thread. I used them with those write-ups instead of, say, sudden enhance spell, since I wasn't sure if the feats in question would be acceptable in Balmuria or not. Having it as a 1/day class benefit doesn't force you to allow Enhance Spell, for example, I figured. Empower Spell is listed as the prereq there, so I put it here, too. I'd also be more than happy to ditch Enlarge Spell entirely instead of having the spontaneous ability apply to it as well. It's one thing if you saddle me with a dead feat as a prereq, I'd be cool with that, but otherwise I can't think of a single occasion where having free, spammable enlarge spell would have been of use in Balmuria, at all.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 08, 2010, 03:20:06 PM
War Spell and Unbound Spell were borrowed from the epic feats txt you have on the epic thread. I used them with those write-ups instead of, say, sudden enhance spell, since I wasn't sure if the feats in question would be acceptable in Balmuria or not. Having it as a 1/day class benefit doesn't force you to allow Enhance Spell, for example, I figured. Empower Spell is listed as the prereq there, so I put it here, too. I'd also be more than happy to ditch Enlarge Spell entirely instead of having the spontaneous ability apply to it as well. It's one thing if you saddle me with a dead feat as a prereq, I'd be cool with that, but otherwise I can't think of a single occasion where having free, spammable enlarge spell would have been of use in Balmuria, at all.

I'd rather you use sudden enhance here for the sake of continuity. I'd rather not start calling the same effect two different things, you  know? Anyway, this looks about right. I'll sketch up a quick Sudden Enhance and toss it into the feats pile too.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

1. Finished Abagail in the NPC topic. Preferences on who to do next?

2. Cor, could you remove the necklace of basilisk teeth from your horde list? You can keep the chain in there if you care to, it's worth 15 GP without the teeth.

3. Comments on the spellpool:

You have a focus listed but I don't see one, only material components.

How big/wide/tall is the Spellpool?

Go ahead and clarify it a bit? Rewrite it, flush out what you want a little more.

4. As for the cloak, I'll get back to you. I can't find offhand how I priced the damn thing.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

1. No real preference. But if Ed wants to talk to me, I'd like to know his basic appearance?  >_>
2. I'm listing all that stuff in the loot thread, in a concentrated post. I figured I'd update everything together once I was done, but if it bothers you I'll delete it now.
3. The focus is crystals. It'd basically be tokens to form a connection, like for a Mythal? I'm not sure about how to price them, but I figure it needs to be in the thousands, but not too insane (1% of the overall Spellpool cost?) Rather than give the dimensions, how about I just find a cool picture of a crystal tower?
4. Thanks! It was made from the pyroclastic dragon, I believe.

Corwin

Requirements

Class Skills

Class Features

Epic Metamagic Feat: At 2nd level, the War Wizard gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.
Enhanced Spell Area: Any time a War Wizard of 3rd level casts a spell modified by the Widen Spell feat, any numeric measurements of the spell's area increase by 200% rather than 100%. Thus, a widened fireball spell would have a 60ft radius spread instead of a 40ft radius spread.
Sudden Enhance: The War Wizard is treated as having the Sudden Enhance feat, even if she does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.
War Spell: Once per day, a 5th level War Wizard can call on a spell cast with the Widen Spell or Spontaneous Widen Spell benefit, and increase the spell's area exponentially. The radius of this spell increases by 1000%.

The War Wizard

Class
Level    BAB      Special                                      Spells per Day
1st      +0      Spontaneous Widen Spell                 +1 level of existing class
2nd      +1      Epic Metamagic Feat                            +1 level of existing class
3rd      +1       Enhanced Spell Area                      +1 level of existing class
4tht      +2      Sudden Enhance                      +1 level of existing class
5th      +2       War Spell                                     +1 level of existing class

How about now? Also, if you want better prereqs, tell me what you'd do there so that it'd help me plan ahead for them?  >_>

Anastasia

Bump up the casting another level or two. It's a pure wizard class with no pretensions of weapon focus or a martial bent. You could toss in an epic feat as a pre-req but I'm not particularly married to that idea.

It looks fine for the most part.
<Afina> Forever.