News:

"Our arrogance is our power."

Main Menu

Miscellania

Started by Anastasia, December 10, 2009, 03:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 11, 2010, 06:35:15 AM
Can I make a tarrasque simulacrum? I want to get rings of friendship (tm) for it and Amaryl so that she will effectively have as much hp as everyone else. In theory. Barring that, some super troll simulacrum?

The above assumes the snow clones are not real people and don't really care. Is that true enough?

I missed this part! It's important!

Yes, simulcrums are real people. Remember Copy-Alicia? They're intelligent and have wants, needs, and desires like anyone else. A simulcrum Tarrasque is going to have the same intellect as the Tarrasque.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

I'm sure if we ask it nicely, Copy-Tarrasque would be Amaryl's bestest friend!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Double level up discussion.

Abby: Will get a second level tonight. Surviving the Destroyer and managing to sincerely help is good enough for me.
Donald: Deserves another one at some point, he's been behind all game and only gotten one. Maybe this level, actually, since otherwise it would wait awhile.
Amaryl: Eh. She's behind but she has gotten several. OOC, I'm tempted to have her take a second one, have it be a dip of fighter and take toughness and call it a day.
Jessica: Probably at some point, but she's busy being pregnant right now.
Latha: No, she's at the head of the pack.
Antenora: Snerk.
Oberuth: Maybe at some point. I'd need to do some homework there.
Syala: Maybe? She's not nearly as strong as the others, though getting ahead of Alicia's level has some obvious conflicts with ED stuff. Probably just needs gear.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Abby's double leveled now. Cor, could you make up a new spell list and slots for her? Eb, could you do the same with Syala?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

No problem.

Amaryl's sheet: grapple is surely +19 now? And that one charge CLW wand is now all used up. The Nemesis benefit/damage bonus aren't listed, either, at least not where I could easily find them.

Ko note: Using this to remind me of other things. Add Ring of Entropic Deflection(MIC) to Amaryl's sheet.

Anastasia

Beta. Really beta.   You can see the thrust of my jibe.

---

The basic idea is an archer that wants her arrows to emulate dragon-breath style. The underlying reason for the exact design choices is that it's for one PC in particular. It's very loosely based on Fochluchan Lyrist from Complete Adventurer, which requires three classes as well. (Rogue or evasion giver, bard and druid.)

Dragonbreath Archer

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:

Feats

Dragonfire Strike
Maybe add an epic feat to take at 21?

Skills

Knowledge: Arcana 15 ranks

Spells

Able to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane magic

Special

Skirmish +3d6/+3 AC
Three or more favored enemies

Class skills

Scout list with a few possible alterations for dragon-ness. K:A and spellcraft? Maybe ditch a few hangers on?

Level   BAB   Special
1   +0   Dragonfire Strike+2d6, favored enemy advancement
2   +1   +1 spell level
3   +2   +1 spell level
4   +3   Dragonfire Strike+3d6, Bonus Feat, +1 spell level
5   +3   Dragonfire Strike (Searing), +1 spell level
6   +4   +1 spell level
7   +5   Dragonfire Strike+4d6, +1 spell level
8   +6   Bonus Feat, +1 spell level
9   +6   +1 spell level
10   +7   Dragonfire Strike+5d6, Dragonfire Strike(Burning), +1 spell level

Dragonfire Strike (Su)

Whenever you choose to add the extra damage from dragonfire strike, the amount of extra damage dice you add increases. At level 1 it becomes 2d6, at level 4 3d6, at level 7 4d6 and 5d6 at level 10.

At level 5 your dragonfire strike flames become searing, ignoring fire resistance and dealing half damage to fire immune creatures.

At level 10 your dragonfire strike becomes burning, setting the target ablaze and that target takes damage equal to the character's skirmish bonus damage on the attacker's next turn as well. 

Favored Enemy Advancement (Ex)

Dragonbreath Archer levels stack with ranger levels to determine your favored enemies. This does not grant continued progression in any other ranger ability, or advance skirmish if you possess the Swift Hunter feat.

Spells (Sp)

At 2nd level and every level past that, you gain a level in spontaneous casting arcane class.

Bonus Feat

Add list of bonus feats. Scout-y. Fuck, I don't know. This also begs looking at Improved Skirmish and fuck improved skirmish.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Looks pretty fun, and I always liked the lyrist prc, actually! Can there be something similar to unbound to deal with the inevitable ASF? I guess Amaryl could deal with that stuff with a level of Spellsword or something, but cherry-picking levels in other prcs especially when making a custom prc here is sorta eh, right?

Thoughts on skills: Listen, Search, Spot are listed as key for scouts, rangers and dragons, so they're probably keepers? Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) and Knowledge (Nature) would probably fit really well for the mix of classes here. Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Spellcraft and Survival also seem to work. I dunno whether you're keeping it scout or lyrist-like (with 8/6+int skills per level and lots and lots of skills) so it's hard to say if this hits the spot. Any self-respecting dragon would study the vast knowledge of planes!

Anastasia

No dice on the ASF. The class is already really loaded by progressing 3 things and having a capstone AND bonus feats(It is an epic class, granted).

Sounds about right for class skills, I'll compile that tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia will dispatch a few of Sylica's finest who have a talent for shapechanging and blending into mortal cultures to infiltrate the no longer neutral party people. They'll basically keep themselves on the down-low and keep an eye out for trouble while basically being super-nice neighbours as celestials are wont to be.

Corwin

If Hand of the Mage is 900gp for at will Mage Hand (and takes up a neck slot), does it follow that a tiara of cantrips is 25k for at will use of any cantrips (and takes up the head slot)? I have 28 cantrips memorized, which should be most if not all of them, so I pretty much multiplied the two numbers. Or would it be cheaper since it's just cantrips?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 12, 2010, 05:08:12 PM
Alicia will dispatch a few of Sylica's finest who have a talent for shapechanging and blending into mortal cultures to infiltrate the no longer neutral party people. They'll basically keep themselves on the down-low and keep an eye out for trouble while basically being super-nice neighbours as celestials are wont to be.

Okay. Noted.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 12, 2010, 06:20:27 PM
If Hand of the Mage is 900gp for at will Mage Hand (and takes up a neck slot), does it follow that a tiara of cantrips is 25k for at will use of any cantrips (and takes up the head slot)? I have 28 cantrips memorized, which should be most if not all of them, so I pretty much multiplied the two numbers. Or would it be cheaper since it's just cantrips?

The formula is .5*1*1800 for the Hand of Glory. The multiple for adding a second ability is 1.5 times the lower item. In theory, quick math puts a 28 at will cantrip tiara at 37,350 GP. Let's be honest, it's not worth that much for unlimited CL 1 cantrips short of something abusive like taking infinite Create Water into a desert. I'd house rule it to just a flat 20k, pending a list of what cantrips you'd want on it. Curiously, what do you want it for?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Detailed class skill notes.

Quote from: Corwin on July 12, 2010, 06:50:53 AMThoughts on skills: Listen, Search, Spot are listed as key for scouts, rangers and dragons, so they're probably keepers?

Agreed.

QuoteKnowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) and Knowledge (Nature) would probably fit really well for the mix of classes here.

Yes, all three fit. Amaryl has ranks in 2 of those and the third is one she's just never had skill points for, even though it's on most of her class lists.

QuoteConcentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Spellcraft and Survival also seem to work. I dunno whether you're keeping it scout or lyrist-like (with 8/6+int skills per level and lots and lots of skills) so it's hard to say if this hits the spot. Any self-respecting dragon would study the vast knowledge of planes!

Concentration and Spellcraft are standard on any casting class list so they're on. Intimidate and Diplomacy are out. Neither class has those, nor does sorc or any casting class she draws on. (She has ranks because she spent a feat on apt learning for that and K:R and N) None of these classes are socially oriented at all, why would a synthesis have them? The sole exception is scout having Sense Motive, so I'll add that at least. The synthesis focuses on dragon-breath like arrows, not anything charismatic.

Survival is fine, it appears on scout and ranger's lists.

No to K:P. The class has nothing to do with the planes and Amaryl has zero ranks. At best it would be an illogical skill point waste-spot for her. A bunch of other people do K:P better than she could do without investing dozens of SP.

Skills added: Hide and Move Silently are in, she has ranks and most of classes have it as a class skill.  Ride gets in for the same reason. I may add a few more things to the list later on to polish it up, but the skill selection looks like this right now:

Concentration(Con), Hide(Dex), Knowledge(Arcana)(Int), Knowledge(Dungeoneering)(Int), Knowledge(Nature)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Ride(Dex), Search(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is mostly done. I can tweak this a little more(Skills list mostly) but the gist is here. I moved the bonus feats back to one every five levels as I feel this class is really good to begin with. Swarm of Arrows was added as a pre-req, mostly for the motif of a dragon's fury flying full strength at everyone around.

Dragonbreath Archer

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:

Feats

Dragonfire Strike

Epic Feats

Swarm of Arrows

Skills

Knowledge: Arcana 15 ranks

Spells

Able to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane magic

Special

Skirmish +3d6/+3 AC
Three or more favored enemies

Class skills

Concentration(Con), Hide(Dex), Knowledge(Arcana)(Int), Knowledge(Dungeoneering)(Int), Knowledge(Nature)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Ride(Dex), Search(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis)

Skills per level: 6 + int mod.

Level   BAB   Special
1   +0   Dragonfire Strike+2d6, favored enemy advancement
2   +1   +1 spell level
3   +2   +1 spell level
4   +3   Dragonfire Strike+3d6, +1 spell level
5   +3   Dragonfire Strike (Searing), Bonus Feat,+1 spell level
6   +4   +1 spell level
7   +5   Dragonfire Strike+4d6, +1 spell level
8   +6   +1 spell level
9   +6   +1 spell level
10   +7   Dragonfire Strike+5d6, Dragonfire Strike(Burning), Bonus Feat, +1 spell level

Dragonfire Strike (Su)

Whenever you choose to add the extra damage from dragonfire strike, the amount of extra damage dice you add increases. At level 1 it becomes 2d6, at level 4 3d6, at level 7 4d6 and 5d6 at level 10.

At level 5 your dragonfire strike flames become searing, ignoring fire resistance and dealing half damage to fire immune creatures.

At level 10 your dragonfire strike becomes burning, setting the target ablaze and that target takes damage equal to the character's skirmish bonus damage on the attacker's next turn as well.  

Favored Enemy Advancement (Ex)

Dragonbreath Archer levels stack with ranger levels to determine your favored enemies. This does not grant continued progression in any other ranger ability, or advance skirmish if you possess the Swift Hunter feat.

Spells (Sp)

At 2nd level and every level past that, you gain a level in spontaneous casting arcane class.

Bonus Feat

At 5th level and every 5 levels after, the Dragonbreath Archer gains a bonus feat from the following list: Bane of Enemies, Blinding Speed, Combat Archery, Distant Shot, Epic Endurance, Epic Prowess, Epic Speed, Epic Toughness, Fast Healing, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Favored Enemy, Improved Manyshot, Legendary Tracker, Swarm of Arrows, Uncanny Accuracy.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

QuoteIntimidate and Diplomacy are out. Neither class has those, nor does sorc or any casting class she draws on. (She has ranks because she spent a feat on apt learning for that and K:R and N) None of these classes are socially oriented at all, why would a synthesis have them? The sole exception is scout having Sense Motive, so I'll add that at least. The synthesis focuses on dragon-breath like arrows, not anything charismatic.

This part was more based on dragons, who have Diplo and Intimidate as class skills. Beyond that, Diplo is a class skill for Amaryl normally, and Intimidate is from DD, plus they compliment each other. You mentioned rounding out scout skills with draconic ones, I thought, so that was the reason here. Doesn't matter, really, just wanted to show where I was coming from.

The formula is .5*1*1800 for the Hand of Glory. The multiple for adding a second ability is 1.5 times the lower item. In theory, quick math puts a 28 at will cantrip tiara at 37,350 GP. Let's be honest, it's not worth that much for unlimited CL 1 cantrips short of something abusive like taking infinite Create Water into a desert. I'd house rule it to just a flat 20k, pending a list of what cantrips you'd want on it. Curiously, what do you want it for?

I suppose I could be anal and argue that the cantrips all serve the same function and wouldn't need the x1.5 boost to the price. I wouldn't really bother, since item creation 'rules' are mere guidelines for the GM, but if you're using multiple different abilities, I'd insist that I'm actually using multiple similar abilities who have a discount, not a price raise.

Anyway, you asked what I want with this. I ranted once that it sucked an archmage only had 4 cantrips per day and had to choose between them, so you told me to make an item to compensate. I finally decided to give it a try. My intent here is not to create a tiara that does 28 different if minor things, but a tiara that gives me unlimited cantrip usage (which happen to be made of the 28 I know). Naturally, I would wear it and use arcane marks, detect magic and... I think that's about it, but I might need stuff like Amanuensis or whatever, and it always feels to lame that I need to rest just to get that dumb cantrip.