News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Miscellania

Started by Anastasia, December 10, 2009, 03:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

The tiara's fine, if you want it just post in loot.

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

I don't remember if you ever got asked on this/ruled on this. Greater and Superior Resistance are listed as better versions of Resistance, and that one can be Permanency'd on other people. Can either of those, too, with a sufficiently high CL?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Donald has a little over 5k and an axe worth in the ballpark of...40k? I didn't list a price I can find. It's +4 before the bleeding add on so it's not cheap anyway. His priorities are boosting his armor's bonus up from +1, boosting his natural armor bonus amulet, and getting an int booster installed into his angelhelm.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 13, 2010, 01:12:13 PM
I don't remember if you ever got asked on this/ruled on this. Greater and Superior Resistance are listed as better versions of Resistance, and that one can be Permanency'd on other people. Can either of those, too, with a sufficiently high CL?

Maybe, I'd have to take a look at the math involved.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

The Second Resort

This sword counts as a short sword, long sword, great sword and bastard sword for the sake of feats. It is of +4 enchantment and deals 3d8 damage per strike, with a critical hit range of 19-20/x3. It has four powers, each one usable once per day:
-Spellruin(Su): On a successful melee strike, the user may elect to deal 2d4 damage to the target's spell charges or memorized spells. The highest level spells are lost first, with any remainder going down.
-Smite(Su): On a successful hit you deal an additional 6d8 damage. This damage is divine-typed and ignores all resistances.
-Maim(Su): On a successful melee strike, you may elect to deal only 1 damage and inflict 2d4+2 charisma damage instead.
-Lifetheft(Su): On a successful melee strike, you may elect to heal one half of the damage this strike did to your target.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on July 13, 2010, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: Corwin on July 13, 2010, 01:12:13 PM

Maybe, I'd have to take a look at the math involved.

No. They don't really balance out well.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Once more, spell approval requests.

SC:

Black Blade of Disaster, lvl9 (1rnd/lvl, concentration, p29)
Energy Immunity, lvl7 (24hr, p80)
Enhance Familiar, lvl3 (1hr/lvl, p82)

Complete Mage:

Deadly Sunstroke, lvl9 (p101)
Repelling Shield, lvl3 (1min/lvl, p115)

PHB2:

Chain Dispel, lvl8 (p106-107)
Cloud of Knives, lvl2 (1rnd/lvl, p108)
Curse of Arrow Attraction, lvl3 (1rnd/lvl, p110)
Energy Vulnerability, lvl3 (1rnd/lvl, p113)

Anastasia

SC:

Black Blade of Disaster, lvl9 (1rnd/lvl, concentration, p29) - No objection, it's a walking disintegration spell 1/round.
Energy Immunity, lvl7 (24hr, p80) - I'm of the opinion energy immunity should be in epic. I have no problem with this spell, but not at level 7.  I would approve a level 10 version.
Enhance Familiar, lvl3 (1hr/lvl, p82) - No objection.

Complete Mage:

Deadly Sunstroke, lvl9 (p101) - No objection. Mettle bait, but otherwise a nice spell.
Repelling Shield, lvl3 (1min/lvl, p115) - Okay.

PHB2:

Chain Dispel, lvl8 (p106-107) - No objection. As a side note, it says as a dispel magic, so it wouldn't have the dispel curse function of greater dispel magic.
Cloud of Knives, lvl2 (1rnd/lvl, p108) - I'm not a big fan of this spell, as it allows you to bend the economy of actions. On the other hand, 1d6+5 damage is hardly going to shake mountains. Do you have a combo in mind for this spell or are you taking it on it's own merits?
Curse of Arrow Attraction, lvl3 (1rnd/lvl, p110) - Okay.
Energy Vulnerability, lvl3 (1rnd/lvl, p113) - Okay.
[/quote]
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Final version is up. Let me know if there are any mistakes or anything I missed.

Dragonbreath Archer

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:

Feats

Dragonfire Strike

Epic Feats

Swarm of Arrows

Skills

Knowledge: Arcana 14 ranks

Spells

Able to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane magic

Special

Skirmish +3d6/+3 AC
Three or more favored enemies

Class skills

Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Hide(Dex), Knowledge(Arcana)(Int), Knowledge(Dungeoneering)(Int), Knowledge(Nature)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Ride(Dex), Search(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis)

Skills per level: 6 + int mod.

Level   BAB   Special
1   +0   Dragonfire Strike+2d6, favored enemy advancement
2   +1   +1 spell level
3   +2   +1 spell level
4   +3   Dragonfire Strike+3d6, +1 spell level
5   +3   Dragonfire Strike (Searing), Bonus Feat,+1 spell level
6   +4   +1 spell level
7   +5   Dragonfire Strike+4d6, +1 spell level
8   +6   +1 spell level
9   +6   +1 spell level
10   +7   Dragonfire Strike+5d6, Dragonfire Strike(Burning), Bonus Feat, +1 spell level

Dragonfire Strike (Su)

Whenever you choose to add the extra damage from dragonfire strike, the amount of extra damage dice you add increases. At level 1 it becomes 2d6, at level 4 3d6, at level 7 4d6 and 5d6 at level 10.

At level 5 your dragonfire strike flames become searing, ignoring fire resistance and dealing half damage to fire immune creatures.

At level 10 your dragonfire strike becomes burning, setting the target ablaze and that target takes damage equal to the character's skirmish bonus damage on the attacker's next turn as well.  

Favored Enemy Advancement (Ex)

Dragonbreath Archer levels stack with ranger levels to determine your favored enemies. This does not grant continued progression in any other ranger ability, or advance skirmish if you possess the Swift Hunter feat.

Spells (Sp)

At 2nd level and every level past that, you gain a level in spontaneous casting arcane class.

Bonus Feat

At 5th level and every 5 levels after, the Dragonbreath Archer gains a bonus feat from the following list: Armor Skin, Bane of Enemies, Blinding Speed, Combat Archery, Distant Shot, Epic Endurance, Epic Prowess, Epic Speed, Epic Toughness, Fast Healing, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Favored Enemy, Improved Manyshot, Legendary Tracker, Perfect Health, Uncanny Accuracy.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Anastasia

Re: Hope Domain.

The spells are fine, no problem with them. I'm not so thrilled with the granted power, it's basically an action point in a campaign that doesn't use them. I don't want to import an entirely new mechanic into this for one granted power. I'd be inclined to turn it into 'Once per day you can add a +3 bonus to a skill check, attack roll or saving throw before you make the roll.' Thoughts? Were you particularly attached to the granted power as written or anything?

Edit: Regardless of how this hashes out I'm planning on posting the Hope domain in house rules once this is settled.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I liked the idea to be able to pull something out after you fail. How about luck's reroll or a bigger bonus if it's one you use upfront?

Anastasia

Revised Hope Domain. I went ahead and bumped it to +4; I'd gone with +3 since that was the average of a d6 roll. Well, technically it's 3.5 but you round down remember. Everything look kosher?

Hope Domain

Granted Power: Once per day, you may add +4 to any one attack roll, skill check or saving throw. This must be declared before you make the roll.

1. Bless
2. Aid
3. Heroism
4. Good Hope
5. Atonement
6. Greater Heroism
7. Greater Restoration
8. Greater Planar Ally
9. Miracle
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Eb: Posted a revised war domain to the house rules topic as discussed. For those of you scoring at home, Power Word: Kill is replaced with foresight. Also, regarding Mistress of the Duel, I figure a +8 cap sounds about right? Most battles simply don't last long enough for the full brunt of this to come up in any event, but this prevents absurd cases like the Destroyer.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

File this one under random digressions. This isn't aimed at Cor, his comment just got me thinking at work about these things. It's pretty much a rant, so y'know. Don't take any of it personal, I used your and other phrases in it that can be misleading.

Quote from: Corwin on July 16, 2010, 02:35:28 PMI liked the idea to be able to pull something out after you fail.

As far as D&D goes, I've never particularly cared for anything like this. I think it comes down to me being old school; you pass or fail the roll and that's that. It annoys my basic sense of fairness when the PCs get to ignore this rule with action points. The dice are the dice; everyone lives with them and dies with them. I dislike Hellreaver's AC and save booster for the same reason, it's why when I control Antenora she almost never uses them.

On a related tangent, I hate the argument that asserts that the PCs should have these because they're the PCs. Bullshit. Yeah, you're the focus of the stories and nothing is wrong with that. At the same time, you don't need to be magical unique snowflakes who get their own set of rules because they're special. PCs are special, but it's because they're being controlled by players and the focus because of that, not because they get special rules and exceptions. I really loathe 4e's resurrection rules for the same reason. Alicia's special because she redeemed Antenora and has opposed Hell dozens of times. Seira's special because she's completed her transformation and defended the Baronies. It's this and other reasons that make them special, not extra-special-unique twisting of the rules so they can do that. It's doing that on even ground that makes them so special, dammit. When the rules hand the players special exceptions and special gifts, it dilutes all the heroism they do. After all, couldn't the bad guys win if they had the same perks? Hell, I'd rather root for the bad guys then, since they're the underdogs!

Of course, this means the bad guys can win. Is this a good thing for the game? Well, it is game over if the party wipes out. On the other hand, if there's no risk of defeat, what's the point of playing? You may as well go diceless and write a collaborative fanfic instead.  If you can't accept the basic tenet of being at risk of losing, then I don't think you're cut out for this sort of game.
<Afina> Forever.