News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

[08B] Storms, Sickness, and Sea Monsters

Started by Merc, May 19, 2010, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sat Jan 30, 2010

* Aleph gives a wary eye toward the man, not quite trustful so far. Sitting down at a different table, and an empty one at that, waving over to a waitress. "Oi, I'd like to order the Hilfernas special!"
* Maya joins the group with a smile.  "As there should be.  A table without one is just too drab."
<Merc> The waitress nods. "A bottle, or just a glass, sir?"
* Aleph grins. "I'll go with a bottle, if you wouldn't mind."
<Merc> She nods again as she heads towards the bar, while the men at the table shift their chairs to make some more room at the table.
<Jack> "You're planning on sharing, right?"
<Aleph> "While I'd be tempted to drink it all myself, something tells me I wouldn't be able to if I tried.  So sure."
* Elise stays at the table with her companions. She doesn't know anything about those strangers Maya's sitting with! "I'll watch and make sure no one gets *too* drunk, I suppose."
<Merc> "So where are you from and what brings you to Urseus?" One of the sailors asks Maya.
<Maya> "Mmm, heading toward Sailor's port," She smiled.  "With the shy buzzkills in the back," She teased.  "And you all... Taking an early eve?"
* Aleph looks over, replying "Hey! I'm not a buzzkill!"
* Elise is watching these strangers carefully, of course. You never know what sort of people you'll run into when you're away from home, after all!
* Anassia glances over towards Maya as well at the mention, resting her head on her hand. "If the shoe fits," she comments idly, spare hand brushing through her hair.
<Merc> "Aye, our ship leaves before sunrise, so we're getting our meal out of the way. Shipmaster is a downright strict bastard, and likely to leave us if we don't wake up in time," one of them states. "And we don't mind the shy friends, at least we got the pretty one to join us!" The other men make noise of agreement as they raise their glasses.
<Merc> The waitress comes at this time with a bottle and a set of glasses to Aleph's table. "Here you are, sir."
<Aleph> "Thanks.  You have a menu, by any chance?" Aleph flashes his most innocent grin to accentuate.
<Maya> She favored them with a laugh of agreement, waving the waitress over for her own glass of hifernas.  "Too strict, huh?  But it's just the beginning of the evening."
* Elise stands up. She's listening to Maya's conversation, of course, just in case those strange men say anything indecent. "What does that mean?!" she says, sounding offended.
<Maya> she smiled, leaning forward, a hand under her chin as she talked, not minding the gazes really.  It never quite hurt to chat up travelers as they tended to know things about where they might go.
* Anassia shifts her attention up to Elise. "Hmm?" she asks, half-curious and half simply indulging the poor fish out of water.
<Merc> The waitress nods to Aleph, stating "I'll bring a few." before heading to the sailor's table to see what Maya wants.
* Jack pours himself a glass of Aleph's booze
* Maya orders a small meal and a glass of the hifernas wine.
* Aleph pours himself a glass of the hilfernas special as well, and takes a drink
<Elise> "'At least we got the pretty one,' he said," elise clarifies for Anassia. "How insulting!"
<Merc> One of the sailors whistles at Maya's order. "Drinking fancy, aren't you miss?" he asks, as the sailors notice that Maya's companions are similarly drinking some of that. "Bunch of merchants, your group?"
<Maya> "Well," She winked at the fellow.  "If you're going to travel, it's important to try out the special spices.  Otherwise you won't get a good taste."  She smiled.  "Oh, do I sound like a merchant?" She smirked playfully.  "A single cup won't hurt too badly."
* Anassia shrugs slightly. "I can think of more insulting things," she comments idly as she sits up.
<Elise> "Keep them to yourself, then," Elise says in a huff, sitting down again.
<Merc> The waitress arrives with some menus for your table, handing them out. It's all simple local dishes you all know. The sailors meanwhile laugh at Maya's statement. "You don't, really, but only rich merchants tend to throw away their money like that. I'd rather get drunk with a lot of drinks instead of one small glass."
<Anassia> "I'm just saying.  If you're going to be offended at everyone we meet you're hardly going to be able to enjoy the trip."  Anassia says, shrugging again.
<Maya> "Just a taste," She smiled.  "I hear it's been hard times lately on the water.  Are the pirates really that troublesome?"
<Elise> "It's not my fault there's so much to be offended by!" Elise says with a complete lack of irony.
<Merc> "Pirates? Haven't heard of pirates in these areas," a sailor replies, scratching his head. "Where'd you hear something about pirates?"
<Anassia> "Uh huh."  Anassia says, smiling slightly as she reaches for one of the menus.  "You could not get offended."
* Elise considers this. "Well, I suppose I could just...go smite them instead?"
<Merc> "Would be bad for business if we got pirates around these waters," another sailor grimaces. "I've seen some ships that were attacked by pirates before, it's why I moved to this side of Belnord."
<Anassia> "Yes, let's start a brawl." Anassia says, quickly following it up quickly with a "That was sarcasm.  Don't smite."
<Maya> "Huh, there was a group of merchants complaining loudly about them around the docks when I was walking earlier.  Made it sound like an epidemic," She wondered.
<Merc> "Well, haven't heard of any pirate sightings around these waters, but we'll keep an eye out for such trouble. Drake and his ilk can stay in the Hanasein waters as far as I can throw 'em..." one of the sailors comments.
* Elise looks intrigued until Anassia adds that clarification. "Alright," she says, sounding disappointed.
<Maya> "So where are you sailing out to in the morning?" She changed the topic, figuring they didn't know much.
<Merc> "Our ship's a cargo ship, picks up trade wares between Belnord and Adallia and ships 'em between the two. We'll stop at Sailor's Port to restock on goods, and then start on the long journey," one answers.
<Anassia> "You need a hobby, Elise.  Or... something."  Anassia says, skimming the menu idly.
<Elise> "I'm on a *mission*. Why should I need anything else?" Elise shrugs and flips through the menu.
<Maya> "What's Belnord like?  I've never been that far out," She smiled, thanking the waitress as she got her meal and sipping slightly at her wine.  It had a kind of fiery aftertaste.
<Anassia> "So you don't go around starting brawls and landing yourself in jail.  That's their job," she gestures idly to the two boys.
<Merc> "It's like an impregnable wall, I'd say..." a sailor comments as he bites into his meal. Another nods. "Yeah, all those cliffs and mountains? It makes it hard to get from one place to another. Lots of pretty places to see though, even if the journeying can be harsh."
<Elise> "Is it?" Elise says, peering at Jack and Ataru skeptically. "Alright...but if they start anything, I'm going to finish it!"
<Elise> "Is it?" Elise says, peering at Jack and Aleph skeptically. "Alright...but if they start anything, I'm going to finish it!"
<Merc> ooc: typo line to fix in logs
<Maya> "Mmm, dangerous to sail there?"
<Merc> "Storms can be harsh in the ocean, and not a lot of places to dock due to the high cliff walls, but outside of that s'not so bad."
* Aleph had taken a menu of his own and read over it. "Hey, it's not my job to get in jail!"
<Maya> "What about Farvona?  I was thinking of heading that way at some point."
<Jack> "I'm honestly surprised how long I've been able to avoid jail for... That day in town, that was the first time in years."
<Merc> They all make a face at that. "Ugh, why would you want to travel there? It's all hot and sweaty, lots of bugs, trade is crap, and they have those reptilian beasts all around."
<Anassia> "Just don't kill anyone," Anassia sighs, before smirking to Aleph.  "Who was it who was there last, again?"
<Merc> "Not to mention all the poisonous plants, you know how many people get sick and die out there?"
<Maya> "It's different.  And you never hear anyone talking about it.  But that sounds pretty harsh," She nodded.
<Merc> "Too many bad tales come from Farvona, honestly, not a lot of ships really do business with 'em, except apothecaries looking to study plants from there, or those crazy arcanists travelling to Dalewyn to learn how to blow things up on a bigger scale."
* Aleph looks over. "Hey, waitress, I've decided!" he announces, gulping down the rest of his glass
<Merc> Waitress scuttles over to Aleph's table. "Yes?"
<Maya> "Heh, I know the type.  Well warned anyway," She smiled, eating her food.
<Aleph> "I'll take the steak sandwich, if you wouldn't mind..." As he reaches the menu out to the waitress...seemingly overextending his reach as he ends up falling out of his chair in her direction
<Aleph> "Ah, crap!" *whump*
* Jack facepalms
<Merc> "Hey, you said you were heading to Sailor's Port, right? Want us to ask the boss if he'll let you and your friends travel with us in the morning? He'll probably want to work your three friends over there to the bone as compensation, but I'm sure he'd be okay with it," a sailor asks, pointing over at the men of your group.
<Jack> "One drink? Really? Is that all it took?"
* Aleph ends up landing face up, arms outstretched, as he then raises his arm with the menu in-hand
<Merc> The waitress moves out of the way. "Are you alright, sir?" she asks, looking slightly concerned.
* Anassia can't help but smirk slightly upon watching Aleph topple from his chair. "Graceful."
<Maya> "Heh, maybe.  My friends might have some business left to wrap up in the morning, but if they don't, that sounds like a fun way to go.  Which ship at the docks?"
<Aleph> "Er, yeah.  Just fine."  As he gets up, handing the menu over from a standing position
* Elise peers down at Aleph. "I think you've clearly had enough to drink already!"
<Merc> The sailors tell Maya the info. "Remember, we're leaving before daybreak, so if you have some morning business, we'll sadly not get to see each other."
<Aleph> "Tch.  As if."  He seated himself and poured himself another glass.
<Maya> "Alright, well, I might as well get them going then, if we're to meet there." She nodded.
<Merc> ***
<Merc> The next morning, bleery-eyed adventurers awaken before dawn, and head towards the dock to check with the dock master about the ship they were waiting on. The docks are busy and alive as various people travel between ships and carts, loading cargo in preparation for travel.
* Maya slips into the busy dock, surprisingly awake, as if she'd intentionally not drunk more than a cup.  Anyhow, she made her way to the dock master, waving him down. "Any sign of that ship from Farvona?"
<Elise> Waking up before the sun is a normal morning for Elise! She's alert and ready for a day of travelling.
* Aleph walks into the dock, looking half-awake already
* Anassia yawns as she follows behind the others, bleary. Waking at dawn? Fine. Before? Not so much.
* Aleph walks through, almost zombielike, seeming on a collision course with Maya if she didn't move
<Merc> "Oh, hello again!" the dock master greets your group. "Yes, the ship looks like it arrived late last night. They had some trouble with some storms, as I suspected. Must have been a really bad one though, the ship's sail was all battered."
<Merc> "Don't worry though, I hear it should be quick to fix, and they plan on leaving today in fact, so you won't have to wait much longer."
* Aleph , if he was fully cognizant, didn't show it. Not much in the way of thought going on this early in the morning
<Elise> "Excellent! I'm ready to leave as soon as the ship is," Elise says.
<Merc> The dock master gives you information on where the ship is currently docked, apparently it's the spot next to the ship with the sailors Maya was chatting up in the evening.
* Maya playfully slides around the oafish Aleph, pretending not to notice as she let him stumble past.  "That's good to hear.  We'll go talk with them," She smiled and headed over there.
* Anassia rubs her eyes and gives the dockmaster a brief nod before following behind Maya. "How are you so awake?" she asks flatly.
* Aleph is not an oaf. He is just tired!
<Maya> She winked, "Gypsy secret.  I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill your entire family," She toyingly replied, leading for the ship and looking over it.
<Elise> "What's wrong, Anassia? Any respectable, hard-working person should be up at this time every day! ...Although Maya had never seemed like either of those things before," she adds quietly.
<Merc> The group slowly fumbles after the chipper Maya to the dock area in question. There, the sailors from last night are carrying cargo into their ship. One of them spots the group and waves. "Oy! Finished your business and decided to join us, miss?"
<Anassia> "Wait, what?  That doesn't make sense." Anassia says, before giggling at Elise's comment.
<Aleph> "mmmph..." is all Aleph could manage at this time of the day
* Maya waves and gives a sad smile.  "It seems one of my companions is in a bit of a rush.  Something about medicine or whatnot.  It's a pity, but mayhaps we'll sail together another time.  Have a safe trip!" She turned and smirked. "Well, maybe this isn't a time for respectable and hard-working people to be up.  Only wild types I suppose.  I didn't know you had it in you, Elise," She teased and shifted over, trying to find the
<Merc> ooc: cut off - I didn't know you had it in you, Elise," She teased and shifted over, trying to find the
* Jack nods blearily, while yawning
<Maya> , trying to find the captain of the favronian heading ship.
<Elise> "What? It makes sense! It's best to wake up early to make full use of your day."
* Elise can only turn her nose up at Maya's remark and ignore it.
* Aleph looks ready to fall back asleep. "M dsmgrnn..."
<Merc> A lot of the sailors make dissapointed noise and some quiet remarks about not having pretty girls on ship for the trip, but nod. "Have a good journey then, miss, perhaps we'll meet another time."
<Anassia> "I don't think the wild types are still up," she says, shaking her head.  "And not you, the killing family.  Only I would be necessary; any more is just being a bitch."
<Merc> Meanwhile, in the other ship, there's a few men lounging about, though they don't seem to be carrying cargo to/from the ship, just mostly waiting.
<Elise> "Our crew looks much less motivated," Elise says, eyeing them critically.
<Merc> "Oy, miss, you need anything?" one of the sailors calls out, noticing Elise's piercing stare.
<Maya> "They also just got back."  She smiled and caught one of their eyes. "Heyo, we were hoping to speak to your captain about passage on the way you're headed."
<Merc> "Oh? Cap'n Wilkens is in town talking to some friend about getting sails repaired so we can head out. You know our ship's not headed to Sailor's Port, though, right?"
* Aleph 's eyes snap open. "...say that again?"
<Maya> "That's right," She gave a smile.  "He'll be back soon?  Can we wait for him here."
<Merc> The sailor raises an eyebrow, but nods. "Sure, he should be back in about an hour. So your group is hoping to go to Farvona? That is where we're headed, you know. Lots of bugs, poisonous plants, and wild beasts and such. Not really a place for women..."
* Elise tsks. "Women can do anything men can!" she challenges.
<Anassia> "We c'n take care of ourselves," Anassia says in an amazing show of hardiness, yawning widely and rubbing her eyes.
<Aleph> "...oh."  Crisis averted.  "...I'm quite sure these three are capable of taking care of themselves.  In fact, two of them I'd be hard-pressed to keep up with."  Though in actually, he's just relieved that they weren't going to some completely different place.
<Maya> "That sounds really harsh," She pouted cutely. "So surely you won't charge us much for the journey."
<Merc> The sailor laughs. "If you say so, miss. Anyway, you're free to wait inside if you're paying customers. We can let you know when the captain's back. Looks like you and a few of your friends are falling asleep, doesn't it?" He turns to look at Maya at her comment. "You can discuss fare with the captain when he arrives."
* Aleph doesn't take a second thought as he heads for what looks like 'inside'
* Maya nods.
* Anassia is close behind him, stifling yet another yawn.
<Merc> A while later, after your group has rested a bit longer inside a comfortable room on the ship, a man walks in. "I hear you're all looking to travel to Farvona?" he asks.
* Maya heads into the captain's room and waits there.
<Maya> "That's right.  We've heard you guys are heading that way."
<Elise> "Yes," Elise confirms.
<Aleph> "Yeah, that's what we intend, anyway."
<Anassia> "What they said," Anassia nods.
<Merc> The captain takes a drag from a pipe, and blows some smoke. "We are, we plan to head to Salty Town, you know where that port is?"
* Elise shakes her head.
<Aleph> "Never heard of it."
* Maya shakes her head as well.
<Merc> The captain snorts, clenching his pipe between his teeth as he digs into one of his belt pockets, pulling out a map of the world, and moving to place it on the table. Grabbing his pipe with one hand, he uses his other hand to point at a spot about what'd you'd guess to be a week's travel to Vyrdam's borders. "Here."
* Aleph nods. "Sounds good to me."
<Maya> "That's fine...  We won't ask you to go out of your way.  Just for a couple of empty rooms on your ship.  Its your return voyage after all right?"
<Merc> The captain nods. "If this spot is fine for you folks, trip will be twenty gold altogether for the lot of you, discounted to fourteen if the men wish to work on the ship." It's a somewhat steep price, though not entirely unreasonable.
<Jack> "I'm not opposed to working. Aleph, Kheldar?"
<Aleph> "...Fine with lookout, here."
<Merc> Kheldar nods quietly.
<Maya>  "Mmm, wouldn't ten gold be more reasonable?  You're getting a couple of extra workers out of it, and you did have trouble with the storms coming in, didn't you?" She returned, bartering it down.
* Elise frowns. "Why can't the women work too?"
<Anassia> "I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to you lending a helping hand, Elise."  Anassia interjects.
* Jack kicks Aleph "Lazy bastard."
<Merc> Captain blows some smoke out of his pipe. "And with the weather like it is, travel to Farvona is dangerous, miss, not to mention, I do have to pay for the repair work," the captain points out befre shaking his head to Elise. "No offense to you miss, you do look like you have a fair deal of strength carrying that weapon of yours, but women would be sure to distract my men. I need focused sailors on ship, especially if a storm hits."
* Elise frowns. "I wouldn't distract anyone. I'd be totally focused on my work!"
* Anassia gives Maya a faint glance at his comment.
<Merc> "I'm sure, but my men wouldn't, miss. Given delays from storm, I'm not giving them a chance to have some fun in town before leaving again, unfortunately."
<Maya> She favored the captain with a gentle smile, "Now, that's totally true...but that's risk for us, and means there's fewer folks looking to fill up your rooms.  I suppose you have plenty though and no gold is better than some?" She reasoned.  "Especially with a few pretty faces to soothe hurt feelings from not getting to go ashore."
* Elise frowns. "Wel...alright." It sounds like a discipline problem to her, but she doesn't want to point that out while Maya's negotiating with the man.
<Maya> roll 1d20+11 Everyone likes letting cuties ride free.
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=19]
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=20]
<Merc> The captain snorts. "Well, if you women feel like entertaining the men, that's your business," Captain Wilkens states, as he blows another puff of smoke from his pipe. "Very well, ten gold. No distractions when the men are at work, however."
<Maya> "That's fine.  We'll be ready to head off,' She smirked, counting out ten gold on the captain's desk.  "We'll get settled in our rooms.  Jack and Aleph and Kheldar can help you out," She smiled, leaving the two slackers to be worked to the bone.
<Aleph> "..."
<Maya> She may have noticed his attempted grope earlier.  Maya doesn't hold a grudge though...or does she?
<Aleph> There would be words.  There would be words.  And maybe opportunistic revenge groping/glances
* Anassia eyes Maya as she moves to follow, but holds her tongue for now.
<Elise> Sometimes seems to have jammed the gears in Elise's mind. "What did he mean about entertaining the men...?" she wonders as they leave the room.
* Maya selects one of the better rooms.  "His own dreams, clearly.  I never said we'd do a thing," Maya returned as they settled in.
<Merc> ***
<Merc> A week later, the ship has been travelling, making good time with no signs of storms. The group has settled onto a routine as the men are worked mercilessly, and the women pretty much just serve as some eyecandy. A few misunderstandings did result in a few injuries, but for the most part, Maya's performances have made up for the misunderstandings as the sailors are kept happy overall.
<Merc> According to the captain, it hould be one more week before they see land again.
* Aleph , however, was a good bit worse for the wear...and not necessarily from the work--though he hated that part. "...urk...not again..." as he fell to his knees, pale-faced. Damned nausea...
* Aleph , needless to say, was apparently not cut out to be a seafarer...
<Elise> Is rather frustrated with the trip, and it's starting to show in the way she's snippy with everyone. She's had nothing to do the whole time. So boring!
* Anassia never thought that she would miss something as prevalent as the ground... but this trip is just happening to cause that to happen.
<Maya> Was a little better the first couple days than Aleph, though by this point she was casually swaying across the ship like an expert, finding it a rather invigorating balance challenge and the smell of the waves rather enjoyable.  Though she tried not to distract the crew too much, despite her knowing smile.  She didn't want them to sink the ship after all.
<Aleph> Amidst the rocking, and whatnot, Aleph crawled over to the railing.  And then, well...yeah.
<Merc> ooc: Aleph - spot check
<Aleph> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=17]
<Merc> Off in the distance ahead, Aleph can spot some darkened clouds from the lookout perch. Storm looks to be brewing. Your stomach grumbles in anticipation.
<Aleph> "...ugh...damn...just what we need..."
<Maya> "Are you alright, Aleph?" Maya headed nearby on one of her walks, but not too nearby.  She'd seen how fast he could puke.
* Aleph tries to compose himself, sitting back for a few seconds as the contents of his stomach threaten to escape once again...
<Aleph> "...Not really.  I know for sure that I don't want to ever be on a ship again..."
* Aleph waits a few seconds before calling to the crew. "Hey! We've got a storm incoming!"
* Anassia glances towards where the voice is coming from at the shout, sighing heavily. "Isn't this just an /adventure/?"
<Maya> "Mmm...That doesn't sound like something I want to be uptop for.  Lets head down where the water won't get us."  She offered an arm to the unsteady fellow.
* Aleph nods, taking her hand as he tried to steady himself.
<Merc> Lots of sailors groan at that. "Not another one!!!" a few of them moan as the captain scoffs into his fist and yells out, "Lower the sails, men, we don't want to almost capsize this time! Secure all the cargo!" He turns to look at your group in turn. "You lot, you'd better get inside the ship, things are going to get rocky, and if you get knocked off the ship, nobody's going to dive out to rescue you."
* Maya hauls Aleph toward the lower decks, not really caring twice to stay up top.
<Merc> "Aye, aye, cap'n!" Sailors answer the captain as they go about preparing for the storm.
* Aleph shows no resistance as he is led below deck, still looking quite pale in the face
<Elise> "I've always liked watching a good thunderstorm," Elise says. "They're majestic sometimes, aren't they?" She stays belowdecks for safety, though.
<Anassia> "Yeah, sure."  Anassia replies flatly.
* Elise is starting to pick up on this whole sarcasm thing. "You don't actually mean that," she says accusingly.
<Aleph> "I'm not looking forward to this at all..."  Aleph says, trying to steady himself with one arm across Maya's back
<Merc> Slowly, as time passes and the sailors get the ship as prepared for the storm as possible, the waters begin to churn more wildly, and the winds pick up strength. Lightning can be seen in the distance, and thunder rumbles closeby as water begins to drizzle outside and the skies darken.
* Maya sets Aleph down on a bed and stays put near one herself.  "Neither am I, hon, Neither am I."
<Merc> A knock at the door is heard. "How are you folks holding up so far? Storm's still mild and looks to be getting worse, so I hope you're not puking your guts out already..." the captain calls out. He sounds a bit worried as he talks about the storm getting worse.
* Anassia sits with her back against the wall, falling quiet at the lightning and thunder. She throws her gaze towards the door, though, at the statement.
* Elise is occupying the bed neares the porthole so she can look outside. She's perfectly fine and says as much!
<Jack> "We'll be fine."
<Merc> Rain is getting stronger, and it's getting harder to see outside for Elise, rains splattering heavily against the glass on the porthole. The captain is right, it does look to be getting worse.
<Aleph> "This...ugh..."  Aleph does not move
<Maya> "I hate times like this," Maya seemed to sweep around the room, moving from sitting spot to spot.  Almost like a caught djinn trying to get out of her bottle.
<Elise> "Just settle down, Maya," Elise says encouragingly. "The storm will come and go when it wants no matter how much you pace. You can't do anything about it."
* Aleph tries to minimize his movement. "I wish we could do something, honestly..."
<Maya> "Oh it will, of course.  Storms do that.  But the sitting around is what gets you."
<Merc> "Be careful of the rocking, lest you trip and hurt yourselves," the captain warns as he departs. An hour passes as the storm continues, heavily pounding against the ship. From your room, you can hear yelling from what sailors are still on deck as they work hard to keep control of the ship, screaming out orders to each other.
<Merc> Time passes, and suddenly, the yelling starts becoming more frantic.
<Merc> ooc - listen checks to try and make out yelling.
<Elise> roll 1d20-2 gogo WIS-based skills
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=17]
<Navilee> roll 1d20+5 What kinda of power is hearing, anyway?
<Penuche> Navilee invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=6]
<Merc> roll d20+9 Khel
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=18]
<Jack> roll 1d20+9
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=12]
* Navilee is now known as Anassia
<Aleph> roll 1d20+8 oh god im sick
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=6]
<Maya> roll 1d20+6
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d20=3]
<Merc> "What the hell?" "Monsters!" "Careful, men! This storm puts us at a disadvantage!" Jack and Kheldor manage to make out amongst the yelling. Sounds like there's something bad going on deck-side. The others simply can't make out the yells amongst the thunder and rain.
<Jack> "Monsters?
<Jack> "
<Jack> "Son of a bitch."
<Aleph> "...what...the hell..."
<Merc> "Trouble on deck," Kheldar agrees with Jack. "Something about monsters." he adds as he draws his weapon.
<Aleph> "...ugh...damnit...this just isn't fair..."
<Merc> OOC: Storm conditions - ranged attacks at -2 penalty, you must make a balance check DC 10 to keep your balance on your turn, and another DC 10 if you try to move. If you fail the balance check, you'll slip.
<Elise> "What?" Elise is up in a flash and racing for the door. "We have to defend the ship before everything's dead!" From her tone, she may be equally worried about missing out on slaying monsters as about the crew getting eaten.
<Anassia> "...monsters?" Anassia asks, flatly, looking over towards the others.  "...You're joking, right?"
<Merc> ooc: Another DC 10 balance check to stand up again if you slip. If you're slipped, between rounds, you'll start sliding towards the sides of the ship.
<Maya> "Mmm, sounds rough, but if there are really monsters out there...we should go.  No one wants to say they were sleeping in bed while the monsters ate the crew," She opened the door, heading out beside elise as they rushed toward the deck.
* Aleph hefts himself out of bed. He hates this sickness, and especially the rocking, but...it wouldn't be fair if any of the girls went down because he was in bed sick. Grabbing his bow, he drags himself up on-deck...
* Anassia sighs and stand up, pulling a dagger from its sheathe. "Just... be careful," she comments before following the others from the safety.
<Merc> As the group scramble up towards the deck, and slam the door open, they are greeted with the sight of some monstrous yet humanoid creatures, somewhat reptilian in nature, with sharp claws stalking towards the sailors who are trying to fend them off while still keeping control of the ship, a difficult task even though the sailors outnumber the four creatures.
<Merc> ooc - init
<Aleph> roll 1d20+4 init
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=6]
<Jack> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d20=4]
<Anassia> roll 1d20+2 Init
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=8]
<Elise> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll 4#d20+5
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 22, 6, 13, 8 >
<Maya> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=8]
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=13]
* Merc changes topic to 'You're on a boat! Look at you, you're on a motherfucking boat! Rep #1 > Khel > Elise > Rep #3 > Maya > Aleph > Anassia > Rep #4 > Jack > Rep #2'
<Merc> The reptilian creatures notice your group and one of them screeches at you all as it rushes to attack Elise, being the closest out of the door. It seems unbothered by all the wind and water on the deck, as its claws stretch out to slash at the religious heroine.
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=13]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=12]
<Merc> roll d6+2
<Merc> roll d6+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 6 > [d6=4]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d6=5]
<Merc> ooc: roll your armor for each of those, Elise
<Elise> roll 1d3
<Elise> roll 1d3
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d3=2]
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d3=1]
<Merc> The creature's claw digs into Elise's side as it screeches again, as blood covers its claws, saliva falling from its mouth and mixing with the rain.
<Merc> ooc: Khel
<Kheldar> OOC: Rough distance from me to the nearest Naga?
<Merc> ooc: All of the creatures are within range for all of you.
* Kheldar lets out a shout of rage at the loathsome creature that struck the righteous young lady! Arms a blur, he draws his sword and aims to cleave its head from its scaly body!
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+7 Let's hope I don't die here.
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=8]
<Merc> Kheldar's righteous strike does nothing but whiff at the air, as rain gets in his eyes, making him miss. Still, the close whiff grabs the creature's attention, leading its eyes off Elise temporarily as it assesses the new threat.
<Merc> ooc: Elise
<Elise> OOC: balance check before I do anything, righT?
<Merc> ooc: yeah, if you don't autosucceed,do balance before
<Elise> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=12]
* Elise screams at the creature and swings her hammer at its body! "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!"
<Elise> roll 1d20+10
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=2]
<Merc> Sadly, Elise also misses, the rain hampering her righteous efforts as another of the creatures lunges for Kheldar's unprotected back.
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=18]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=4]
<Merc> ooc: second one misses, right?
<Kheldar> OOC: yeah
<Merc> roll 1d6+2 one hit
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d6=6]
<Merc> ooc: roll your armor check
<Kheldar> roll 1d3
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d3=3]
<Merc> Kheldar's armor prevents the worst of the attack that hits.
<Merc> ooc: Maya
* Maya shakes her purple hair, sending rivets of water everywhere as she dashed out along the slick wooden deck, leaping up along one of the many rope ladders along the side and climbing a bit before swinging down, slamming her blade into the back of one's head as she twirled to a steady enough footing between them and the sailors trying desperately to keep the ship upright.  OOC: Jump from above combat stunt.  Aiming for +3 da
<Merc> ooc: cut off - Aiming for +3 da
<Maya> roll 1d20+15-6 jump Jump Stunt.
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=13]
<Maya> roll 1d20+11 her shining blade cleaves murlock!
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=8]
<Maya> OOC: Hit and stunt?  *checks before rolling damage
<Merc> roll d20+3 BAC
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=12]
<Merc> ooc: hit
<Maya> roll 2d8+9
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d8=6,8]
<Merc> roll d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d2=2]
* Topic is 'You're on a boat! Look at you, you're on a motherfucking boat! Rep #1 > Khel > Elise > Rep #3 > Maya > Aleph > Anassia > Rep #4 > Jack > Rep #2'
* Set by Merc on Sat Jan 30 21:54:27
<Merc> The creature screeches as Maya's sword strikes slashes down its face, scarring it through one eye and cutting down its chest. The creature focuses its stare on Maya as it screeches again, promising retribution.
<Merc> ooc: Aleph. Remember, -2 to ranged attacks in stormy weather
* Aleph takes aim at the one Maya had just slashed the living crap out of. Nocking two arrows, he tries to compensate for everything right now--the storm, the rocking, the nausea...before letting both shots loose at the creature...
* Maya twirls with a smirk, her blade shimmering in the rain as it streamed down its length. "You should run, it's for the best really."
<Aleph> roll 1d20+5
<Aleph> roll 1d20+5
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=9]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=18]
<Aleph> "Damnable...wish I didn't have to fight on here...ugh"
<Merc> The creature does not react to Maya's taunt, probably not understanding her words. It does, however react to the second of Aleph's arrows embedding itself in its arm.
<Aleph> roll 1d8+5
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d8=5]
<Merc> roll d2
<Aleph> (Yes!  I do damage now!)
<Merc> The creature lets loose a terrible wail, making those nearby feel nauseated, some of the sailors falling to the ground and puking. (OOC - Maya, fort save, DC 14)
<Maya> roll 1d20+5 oh noes
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=5]
<Merc> roll d4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d4=1]
<Merc> ooc: Maya, you are sickened for one round. That's -2 to attack rolls, damage, saves, skills, ability checks
<Merc> ooc: Anassia, go
<Anassia> roll 1d20+2 Balance, yo.
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=14]
* Anassia lifts her hand in front of her face to shield it from the rain momentarily, taking in the scene quickly as her eyes proceed to change to their secondary colors. She lifts her dagger slightly even as her mojo begins to crackle into being about her second hand before being flung; thankfully, she managed to maintain her footing despite the roiling of the deck. But for how long?!
<Anassia> roll 1d20+6-2 Aiming at the arrow'd one.  Hopefully it will act as a LIGHTNING ROD.
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=16]
<Anassia> roll 1d6+4 It did!  Teamwork!
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d6=4]
<Merc> The creature screeches one final time as it lights up as magical energies flare around its body, before it falls to its knees, then falls, its head smacking alongside Maya's leg.
<Merc> The remaining creature to act does so at this time as it screeches and goes for Maya, having seen how badly she had injured its ally.
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=8]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=11]
* Maya sways between the blows with a smirk, bending over as one flies over her head, not even close.
<Merc> ooc: Jack
<Jack> roll 1d20+4 balance
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=12]
* Jack goes after the one that just attacked maya, channeling the momentum of drawing his swords into the first attack
<Jack> roll 1d20+9
<Jack> roll 1d20+9
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=9]
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=11]
<Merc> ooc: one hit. also, another balance check for movement, after you roll damage.
<Jack> (O_O)
<Jack> (18 doesn't hit? god damn)
<Jack> roll 1d6+7
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d6=5]
<Jack> roll 3d6
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d6=6,5,6]
<Merc> roll d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d2=1]
<Jack> roll 1d20+4 balance
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=9]
<Merc> The creature wails like the other had previously, as if signaling its coming death, as Jack's strike leaves a gaping hole in its chest, his momentum having carried painful piercing power. Barely, the creature remains standing. (OOC - fort save again, Maya and Jack)
<Jack> roll 1d20+3
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=7]
<Merc> roll d4
<Maya> roll 1d20+5 another one?  But I'm already nauseus
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=17]
<Merc> ooc: Jack is sickened for a round as well, Maya for an extra round if she fai...which she didn't.
<Merc> The first creature to attack takes the opportunity to do so again, singlemindedly focusing on ripping the armor off Elise and getting to the fleshy delicacy waiting beneath it.
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=16]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=20]
<Merc> roll d20+5 threat
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=19]
<Merc> roll d6+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d6=5]
<Merc> roll 2d6+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d6=2,1]
<Merc> ooc: armor for the two strikes hitting
<Elise> roll 1d3
<Elise> roll 1d3
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d3=3]
<Merc> More blood covers its claws as its mouth positively waters.
* Kheldar slashes again at the creature attempting to harm Elise, this time going for a disembowelment blow! With a mighty sweep of his arms, he attempts to spill its entrails onto the deck!
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+7 it would be nice to do a little damage
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=15]
<Kheldar> roll 2d6+6 I'd better see some guts, man. GUTS
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d6=1,2]
<Merc> roll d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d2=1]
<Merc> The creature screeches in pain, spitting drool on Elise's face as it does so.
<Merc> ooc: Elise
<Elise> Elise roars back at the monster despite her wounds, swinging her hammer at its head! "This flesh is not to be devoured by beasts! This flesh is for god alone!"
<Elise> roll 1d20+10+2 1/day bonus
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=10]
<Elise> roll 2d6+7
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d6=3,6]
<Merc> roll d2
<Merc> The creature screeches, but not the sickening wail that Maya and Jack have had the misfortune of facing. Its partner reacts as it continues striking at Kheldar.
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=3]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=7]
<Merc> Kheldar masterfully defends himself this time, however.
<Merc> ooc: Maya
* Maya sways, trying to keep her lunch down at their hideous smell, as she swerves around the one that attacked her, her swift feet finding steady purchase on the slick wet ground as in a blur, she was behind it, her twist pulling her blade around in a full spin, cleaving it easily. OOC: Tumble Dodge AoOs.  Tumble remove Dex.
<Maya> roll 1d20+17 AoOs
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=11]
<Maya> roll 1d20+17 Dex mod gone
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=12]
<Maya> roll 1d20+10
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=2]
<Merc> Maya's dancing is to no avail, as the creature avoids Maya's seemingly unpredictable attack.
<Merc> ooc: Aleph
* Aleph seems to keep all of his effort into aiming, keeping his lunch down, and keeping his footing, as he decides to aim another pair of arrows--this time at the lizard-thingy that is being taken apart by Kheldar and Elise...well, not like there were too many other options, anyway...
<Aleph> roll 1d20+7
<Aleph> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=10]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=8]
<Merc> Both of Aleph's arrows miss, as they fly off into the ocean.
* Topic is 'You're on a boat! Look at you, you're on a motherfucking boat! Rep #1 > Khel > Elise > Rep #3 > Maya > Aleph > Anassia > Rep #4 > Jack > Rep #2'
* Set by Merc on Sat Jan 30 21:54:27
<Merc> ooc: Anassia
<Anassia> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=15]
<Anassia> Following the success of her attacks earlier, Anassia again calls her power into form, the crackling enculphing her hand and evaporating the odd raindrop it manages to bisect.  She concentrates on the bloodied monster for a heartbeat before flinging the raw magic toward it.
<Anassia> Roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=17]
<Merc> ooc: if that's an attack roll, hit
<Anassia> roll 1d6+4 Someone smell barBE-que?
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d6=3]
<Merc> Again, Anassia lights up a creature as it screeches as it shakes in agony, before falling to the deck, dead.
<Merc> ooc: Jack
<Jack> (what are the effects of being sickened? >_>)
<Jack> (I kinda missed that)
<Maya> OOC: -2 everything but defense
<Merc> ooc: -2 to attakc/damage/skills/saves
<Jack> roll 1d20+2 balance
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d20=7]
* Jack slips
<Jack> "Damn it!"
<Merc> ooc: roll another to try and get up this turn
<Jack> roll 1d20+2 balance
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=17]
* Jack gets back to his feet
<Jack> "Fucking screamin nightmares from the deep."
<Merc> The first reptilian creature screeches as it again strikes at Elise single-mindedly.
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll d20+5 threat again!
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 6 > [d20=1]
<Merc> roll d6+2
<Merc> roll d6+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d6=1]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d6=2]
<Merc> ooc: armor checks
<Elise> roll 1d3
<Elise> roll 1d3
<Merc> It doesn't do as much damage as its previous attempts, however.
<Kheldar> Wordlessly, Kheldar swings once more, hoping to kill the creature in one blow!
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+7 Come on, I want to *kill* something!
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=4]
<Merc> Sadly, Kheldar's hope is misplaced.
<Merc> ooc: Elise!
<Merc> ooc: and remember to balance this time!
<Elise> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=13]
<Elise> "I am the wall that protects the worthy! You will break yourself and fall before I allow you to strike down any innocents!" Elise yells as she again tries to bludgeon the monster to death.
<Elise> roll 1d20+10+1 token
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=10]
<Elise> roll 2d6+7
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d6=3,5]
<Merc> As Elise's hammer pulverises the creature, it lets loose its death cry, this one actually dying, however, it's body smashed onto the deck. (OOC: fort saves - Elise, Aleph, Anassia, Khel)
<Merc> roll d4
<Merc> ooc: Anybody missing DC 14 is sickened for one round.
<Elise> roll 1d20+6
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=6]
<Aleph> roll d20+4
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=19]
<Anassia> roll 1d20+3
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d20=2]
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=16]
<Merc> ooc: Both Anassia and Elise are sickened.
<Merc> The remaining creature stares between the group, as if deciding what to do. With a screech, it slashes at Khel's back one more time before it readies to flee.
<Merc> roll d20+5
<Merc> roll d20+5 threat!
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d6+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 6 > [d6=4]
<Merc> ooc: armor check, Khel
<Kheldar> roll 1d3
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d3=2]
<Merc> ooc: after that, you get an AoO as it attempts to flee
<Merc> As the creature leaves it's parting strike, it turns to flee, leaving itself open to a counterattack from Kheldar.
<Kheldar> With a roar of rage and pain, Kheldar makes a final attempt to strike it down!
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+7 OH NO YOU DON'T!
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d20=1]
<Merc> ooc: ouch
<Merc> Kheldar's attempt to strike the creature dead fail, however, as the creature makes its way to the side of the ship and dives into the churning stormy ocean.
<Merc> "What the hell were those things?" one of the sailors screams as he points at one of the corpses.
<Merc> All around you, the storm continues to rage on.
<Aleph> "...oi, Elise, you okay?" Aleph asks
* Anassia leans back against the wall at the nigh-imperceptable splash of the monster returning whence it came, closing her eyes and gulping in breath for a few moments, gripping onto the wall as best she can. At Aleph's question, though, she looks towards the wounded girl.
<Maya> "Worry about it after you keep the boat stable," Maya slid along the deck back toward them.  "You all standing fine?"
* Kheldar stalks across the slippery deck to nudge one of the corpses with his boot. "I don't know." He grimaces. "But thank the gods we drove them off."
* Elise seems unconcerned about her multiple wounds. "The vile ones have been vanquished!" she crows in triumph. "This is a good day to be on the side of...good!"
* Jack nudges one of the corpses with a boot
<Jack> "Hmm... How much do you think one of these things would go for in port?"
<Merc> "They're gone though, right?" another sailor asks worriedly. "The storm is still going strong. I shudder to think what would happen if more of those...those THINGS attack..."
<Aleph> "...well, whatever those thin--hrk..." Aleph nearly ends up losing it again, "...ugh.  I'm going back down..."
<Maya> "Yeah, yeah.  It'll be a good day to get dry before we get sick.  Shout if things go bad again," She joined the retreat downstairs, grabbing a towel to dry off with after getting out of the rain.
<Merc> Some person will probably be interested in the creature. Some weirdo usually is, if you look far enough for a buyer.
* Aleph edges his way inside as he looks for the bed he was previously at
<Kheldar> "Keep your mind on the task at hand, goodman." Kheldar says a mite sharply. "This storm requires your utmost attention. We shall keep the ship safe from attack."
<Merc> "...W-W-w-will do, miss!" one of the sailors states, looking at the group with a bit more respect than he had in the past week.
* Anassia is unconcerned about the detrius of the combat, following the others back inside. "Ugh," she says, before shivering slightly. "I hate water now."
<Merc> All of the other sailors likewise nod at that, as they continue to deal with the storm and keeping an eye for further creature attacks.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.