News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

What makes them tick?

Started by Anastasia, July 02, 2010, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

What makes each NPC tick? It's a good question, one that you can debate and explore for session after session. The purpose of this essay is to explore an NPC and get inside of their head.  It's to really analyze everything and figure out exactly why they are and who they are. It's enlightening for both the DM and the players, and gives a chance for interesting meta-feedback about a character. I'm going to cover Amaryl today, so strap in and get your teenage emo shields ready!

Amaryl Gaial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_needs - Recommended reading. Maslow's somewhat outdated and debatable, but damned if I don't feel that this fits Amaryl. I'll make various references to this within the essay. As a final note before I begin, I avoid going into too much depth into Amaryl's romantic relationship with Seira. While there is extremely fertile ground there for discussion, I'd like to see how you guys think about and reply to this before possibly touching on it. Besides, I think the answers to it are well enough implied within this essay.

What makes Amaryl tick? Let's begin by looking at her defining traits. Quiet bordering on retiring, extremely passive and giving to the wishes of others, devoted to Seira, uncertain(albeit far less prominent as time goes on) and a certain lack of self confidence.  Some reasonable assertions can be made from these traits. First of all, Amaryl's an introvert. She's a thinker by nature, not a doer.  A lack of confidence leads to uncertainty, inflaming that tendency. Look at how she was defined at first - Amaryl was a noble woman in a position she did not want, forced by the vagaries of politics and fate. She loathed her position but couldn't muster the will to act out on her own. This speaks of a dis empowerment, a lack of self actualization.  She was not to save herself, but was to be saved by another. She was passive to her own fate, no matter how it stung her.

All of that nicely shores up her basic issues. However, it is not the only piece of the puzzle. Amaryl, for her maturity level and age, is essentially a teenager. During this phase the trials of pre-adulthood loom over the adolescent.  Amaryl was staring these down, passing on chances to define her own path and develop. Instead she stayed as an emotional child, accepting what others gave for without taking care of herself.  As a child all she could do was stew, stuck in a room that was a cage of nobility, playing at being an adult. This sets a ripe stage for an immature act of rebellion, in this case fleeing Pallanth and then completely severing ties with her homeland when a chance came. Despite being an act to take control of her own destiny and advance, her first moves are fundamentally dependent on others to happen and emotionally childish. It has obvious parallels with a child running away from home.  Her actions of this period reflect her basic immaturity. She was completely dependent on the approval of others, especially Seira. Her actions were not often what she wanted, but what others encouraged her to do, save for rebellious outbursts against Pallanth. In essence, her early devotion to Seira was that of a child wanting approval.

Since then, Amaryl's development has been a slow process of growing up. Her love for Seira is also very much that of a maturing girl becoming a woman; accepting more and more responsibility and becoming emotionally mature.  Over time her childish tendencies have begun to fade, replaced by more mature assertions and a slow-growing cache of self confidence. Under Seira's and her friends careful hands she has taken many steps towards maturity.  The examples of myriad and many. For example, recall how she argues with Donald about poetry. Earlier, Amaryl would have submitted and not argued the point. She lacked the ability to defend her opinions, instead retiring into acceptance. Now she is capable of defending her viewpoint, instead of being a wall-flower overrun by a strong opinion. She strove and gained love, friendship and family. In this she has risen even higher, able to mend her self esteem and gain a sense of worth. This has culminated in acting as a self-actualized adult, working for the goal of expanding the Cauldron.

So what is Amaryl in recent times? She is a somewhat introverted young elven woman, a brave warrior who has confidently faced down balors, working to chase the goals both she and Seira desire. She does not desire the Cauldron to expand purely because it is her love's goal, but because it is her goal as well as her love's. This is a fine distinction, but one I hope you appreciate. She is an independent woman, capable of pursuing her goals effectively.  She does still possess introverted traits, but introversion is not immaturity by itself. Nor is this to say her journey is concluded; she will continue to mature.  However, she stands as a young woman and not a child, having progressed past much of her weakest hours and into becoming her own person.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

An Amaryl thread! Ah, happiness~

You mean to say she's rising up that hierarchy towards self-actualization? I guess I can see that easily enough. There's nothing wrong with being passive on many things, if that's what you want to do, of course. The problems she had mostly stemmed from her merely going along with the flow rather than really being content, so I'm glad whenever that changes for the better. It was frustrating a lot of the time, especially since I was always wary about nudging Amaryl in any direction. Sure, it might've gotten her to be more active or take hold of her future, but I was always doubting myself. There's a pretty thin line between being supportive of someone and letting them make the choices they want to make, and being forceful so that they end up acting in a way they think would please you. I still have those moments, really, though they're far less frequent these days.

I'm glad it didn't take her another century or more to find what defines her as who she is, not what she was born with, or who she is with. It used to discourage me quite a bit, considering my personality, both because I worried for her and because few people want to second-guess themselves all the time. It's very nice to consider yourself the knight that rescues the princess, but doubts that she only really wanted to be rescued once you came along were hard ignore for a while there. When you mention she was often doing something that she didn't want to, what would you refer to past the usual elven council matters?

I also think back to how she was one of precious few who was affected enough by my example to stand up and act, and really the only one I can think of who wanted to protect me personally. It was one of the things that drew me to her and made her interesting to me. I dunno if I'm wrong on that, but I always felt like she was trying despite the odds against her or her situation. Once I saw that, I wanted to help her and get to know her better. Doing the right thing is naturally important, but choosing to do it, especially when it's difficult, is what particularly interests me.

I still don't understand some of her motivations, of course. I also can't tell what her true wishes are, which is no surprise. Is she holding herself back? When she loses her inhibitions, is that her true self or an exaggeration? Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between? It can be difficult, but at least I knew all that in advance. I wonder if she'd find it interesting that I want the Cauldron to expand for precisely the same reason, when it comes down to it. I also wonder if she realizes what makes me tick. I tried to be forthcoming where I could, but sometimes I got the feeling she either didn't really accept it, or just hearing me say something didn't make her truly understand it.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 02, 2010, 08:37:38 PM
An Amaryl thread! Ah, happiness~

You mean to say she's rising up that hierarchy towards self-actualization? I guess I can see that easily enough. There's nothing wrong with being passive on many things, if that's what you want to do, of course. The problems she had mostly stemmed from her merely going along with the flow rather than really being content, so I'm glad whenever that changes for the better. It was frustrating a lot of the time, especially since I was always wary about nudging Amaryl in any direction. Sure, it might've gotten her to be more active or take hold of her future, but I was always doubting myself. There's a pretty thin line between being supportive of someone and letting them make the choices they want to make, and being forceful so that they end up acting in a way they think would please you. I still have those moments, really, though they're far less frequent these days.

Yeah. I feel you've handled this aspect of Amaryl fairly well, no matter what insecurities you have regarding it. You couldn't do too much as time went on or you'd just retard her own development. As it stood, you gave her the support she needed without smothering her.

QuoteI'm glad it didn't take her another century or more to find what defines her as who she is, not what she was born with, or who she is with. It used to discourage me quite a bit, considering my personality, both because I worried for her and because few people want to second-guess themselves all the time. It's very nice to consider yourself the knight that rescues the princess, but doubts that she only really wanted to be rescued once you came along were hard ignore for a while there. When you mention she was often doing something that she didn't want to, what would you refer to past the usual elven council matters?

For a while, that's all she truly wanted. She had fairy-tale images of love and romance, but they were immature imaginings of a lonely teenager. The typical Princess/Knight (mental note: have Mari be a Princess so I can use that phrase more) dynamic is an entirely passive, feminine entity being rescued by the active, powerful masculine figure.  It's very dis-empowered, at the same time yearning for completion through romance. This fits in with a lot of the stuff I said above and it's why she focused on it, and was able to eventually act despite her indecision and inactivity.

For the last question, could you quote exactly what point of mine you're referring to? Thanks.

QuoteI also think back to how she was one of precious few who was affected enough by my example to stand up and act, and really the only one I can think of who wanted to protect me personally. It was one of the things that drew me to her and made her interesting to me. I dunno if I'm wrong on that, but I always felt like she was trying despite the odds against her or her situation. Once I saw that, I wanted to help her and get to know her better. Doing the right thing is naturally important, but choosing to do it, especially when it's difficult, is what particularly interests me.

I'd say she isn't the only one. Donald does even in the face of his flippant attitude and certainly there are others. Amaryl is by far the most obvious about it and the most noticeable.

Amaryl was certainly trying in her way, no matter how stunted it was. It was often excessively passive, but she did try. What's interesting is that the 'odds' of the situation were all her own fault; the Amaryl of today would not have ended up in the miserable situation she was thrust into.

The last part is a very interesting observation. It was said once or twice by someone in game, I can't remember who offhand, that mortal morality was oftentimes more intense than the morality of outsiders. The struggle to obtain morality makes it far more authentic than the natural, easy morality of an outsider. I've always felt this is some of what drew you to Amaryl in contrast of someone like Antenora or Latha.

QuoteI still don't understand some of her motivations, of course. I also can't tell what her true wishes are, which is no surprise. Is she holding herself back? When she loses her inhibitions, is that her true self or an exaggeration? Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between? It can be difficult, but at least I knew all that in advance. I wonder if she'd find it interesting that I want the Cauldron to expand for precisely the same reason, when it comes down to it. I also wonder if she realizes what makes me tick. I tried to be forthcoming where I could, but sometimes I got the feeling she either didn't really accept it, or just hearing me say something didn't make her truly understand it.

What are Amaryl's true wishes? I think they're just now recently begun to visibly manifest in an obvious way. In short, I'd say they are a a fulfilling relationship with Seira, fostering the growth of the Cauldron and extending her network of friends and family. This isn't to say these are all of them, but they're the large majority and her main motivations right now.

Some of her mystery is simply because she's introverted. Amaryl's probably always going to be partially opaque to Seira. It's not in her nature to fully reveal herself(except when drunk on the beach >_>), but to hold her own thoughts in.  As for your last thought...well, let's put it this way. Even when someone understands something, it's still filtered through their point of view, biases and beliefs.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

QuoteFor a while, that's all she truly wanted. She had fairy-tale images of love and romance, but they were immature imaginings of a lonely teenager. The typical Princess/Knight (mental note: have Mari be a Princess so I can use that phrase more) dynamic is an entirely passive, feminine entity being rescued by the active, powerful masculine figure.

Any proper elemental power is a prince(ss) of something, so the dynamic is bound to change to Princess/Princess soon enough~

Probably along these lines....

When you mention she was often doing something that she didn't want to, what would you refer to past the usual elven council matters?
For the last question, could you quote exactly what point of mine you're referring to? Thanks.

Her actions were not often what she wanted, but what others encouraged her to do, save for rebellious outbursts against Pallanth. <-- this, mostly, along with the passiveness. Just made me wonder what she found herself involved in despite not wanting to be.

QuoteI'd say she isn't the only one. Donald does even in the face of his flippant attitude and certainly there are others. Amaryl is by far the most obvious about it and the most noticeable.

Sort of. I'd say that Donald generally loves a good fight, and that he doesn't focus specifically on me here, either, but would fight to protect Elle or Alicia or Polly just the same. It wasn't intended to belittle Donald or others and their efforts. I just can't really think of anyone who would be terrified of undead or the lower planes but venture there just because they want to keep me safe.

QuoteI've always felt this is some of what drew you to Amaryl in contrast of someone like Antenora or Latha.

Well, originally she was someone my age (the only other person my age in that setting, really) who supported me by taking a risk. And possibly did so because we were around the same age, too. I was interested, but since I couldn't quite meet her to express that the first two times, I decided to try harder once I had the chance.

QuoteWhat's interesting is that the 'odds' of the situation were all her own fault; the Amaryl of today would not have ended up in the miserable situation she was thrust into.

What do you mean by that, here? That she would welcome a governing position nowadays and be strong enough to state her opinions? That she would have handled the misery from the pressures placed upon her in one a lot better, but not seek it out on her own? That she would instantly quit if she found herself with that responsibility?

QuoteSome of her mystery is simply because she's introverted. Amaryl's probably always going to be partially opaque to Seira. It's not in her nature to fully reveal herself(except when drunk on the beach >_>), but to hold her own thoughts in.

That could be arranged~

Seriously, though, I'm fairly happy whenever she's happy. All I often need is indication of that, and not that she's merely content with what little she has.

Also, there hasn't been a word said about Waukeen. Was asking to serve her a spur of the moment where she overextended herself, so to speak?

Anastasia

QuoteHer actions were not often what she wanted, but what others encouraged her to do, save for rebellious outbursts against Pallanth. <-- this, mostly, along with the passiveness. Just made me wonder what she found herself involved in despite not wanting to be.

Mmmm.

She didn't like combat at first, and often in social engagements she was personally apprehensive and uninterested. However, her very nature at that time made her submit no matter her personal wishes.

QuoteSort of. I'd say that Donald generally loves a good fight, and that he doesn't focus specifically on me here, either, but would fight to protect Elle or Alicia or Polly just the same. It wasn't intended to belittle Donald or others and their efforts. I just can't really think of anyone who would be terrified of undead or the lower planes but venture there just because they want to keep me safe.

Donald does focus on you more than you realize, but he almost never tips his hand. Donald aside since he's his own post in the making, that's an interesting conditional. Latha would fight to protect you without a second thought, but she's not often scared of the Realms Below or undeath. It's not her nature. With your circle of friends, that distinction needs to be made. I've always figured Oberuth balls up and ignores any fear he has, and I figure he has a lot. He's far too professional and controlled to let it show. Despite all he's done, he's a normal human being.

QuoteWell, originally she was someone my age (the only other person my age in that setting, really) who supported me by taking a risk. And possibly did so because we were around the same age, too. I was interested, but since I couldn't quite meet her to express that the first two times, I decided to try harder once I had the chance.

The fate of the teenage prodigy? That's a good point on why you two connected. Demedais and Alicia are both older, the outsiders are all eternal. Interestingly Donald's not much older than you.

QuoteWhat do you mean by that, here? That she would welcome a governing position nowadays and be strong enough to state her opinions? That she would have handled the misery from the pressures placed upon her in one a lot better, but not seek it out on her own? That she would instantly quit if she found herself with that responsibility?

She'd find a way to handle what she didn't want. If she was forced into it regardless of her wishes, she would act to improve her situation instead of sitting idle and in a state of dis-empowerment.

QuoteAlso, there hasn't been a word said about Waukeen. Was asking to serve her a spur of the moment where she overextended herself, so to speak?

I avoided religion much like I avoided her love life. Religion isn't a strong trait for her and I didn't feel like going in that direction. Things could be said, such as her death and resurrection when she met Waukeen, but it's not a core trait for her. Question back at you; do you think Amaryl serves Waukeen because she wants to or because you want her to. Why?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

QuoteDonald does focus on you more than you realize, but he almost never tips his hand.

Probably. Good point on Oberuth, too.

The fate of the teenage prodigy? That's a good point on why you two connected. Demedais and Alicia are both older, the outsiders are all eternal. Interestingly Donald's not much older than you.

Could be! It can keep you isolated even if you're not introverted or physically different, while creating a sense of kinship with others like you. Donald pointlessly acts stupid whenever I try to connect to him, though.

QuoteI avoided religion much like I avoided her love life. Religion isn't a strong trait for her and I didn't feel like going in that direction. Things could be said, such as her death and resurrection when she met Waukeen, but it's not a core trait for her. Question back at you; do you think Amaryl serves Waukeen because she wants to or because you want her to. Why?

I don't really see it as a strong trait in Amaryl. I think the resurrection was more of a convenient excuse, and the reason Amaryl decided to follow her was because she was never that beholden to the traditional elven deities, while I ended up extolling Waukeen's virtues wherever we went. I think I outright spoke about Waukeen maybe twice at most to Amaryl, but she could see all that I was doing, and I was always claiming to do it in Waukeen's name. If she agreed with the majority of my actions and the intent behind them and wants to be a part of that, choosing to follow Waukeen as well makes sense. I don't honestly know if there's any part here of wishing to follow the same deity I am, or of trying to match my expectations. I don't think it's a very large part of it for her, if at all. I did wonder, as I said in the previous post, if she just weren't overwhelmed by the moment, since it was really the first time she was meeting a nice goddess face to face, and said goddess was very supportive of us. Many people might have been, which doesn't reflect on their willpower or strength that much.

Looking forward to seeing Amaryl develop fun hobbies to share with me, and concentrate on more than one important thing at a time.

Also, family. Can she face her old one nowadays? Does she consider mine, which she was effectively adopted into, as her true family? Is there any desire to see her petitioner parents? I wonder how the changes she's gone through affect any of that.

Anastasia

This one took me a good month to do! I had to merge 3 separate lines of thought into a coherent whole, it didn't dovetail neatly like Amaryl. I didn't go too deeply into conclusions, as I want to see what conclusions you guys draw from this. I also didn't get into the subject of Seira except in the very abstract in referring to the Crimson Guard. While an interesting subject worth some commentary, the main thrust of the piece didn't go in that direction.

---

What makes each NPC tick? It's a good question, one that you can debate and explore for session after session. The purpose of this essay is to explore an NPC and get inside of their head.  It's to really analyze everything and figure out exactly why they are and who they are. It's enlightening for both the DM and the players, and gives a chance for interesting meta-feedback about a character. I'm going to cover Latha today, so strap in and get your righteous wrath boots ready!

I'm not going to tie this particular essay to any one psychological theory. As an outsider composed of pure Good and Law, human psychology can't reasonably bridge some of the issues therein. While an interesting mental exercise, it's beyond the scope of this essay. In other words I'm winging this one, baby.

Latha

In contrast to Amaryl, Latha was a fully realized individual long before she met the party. Being an outsider she is far more static than a mortal, possessing a direct connection to uppercase Good and Law. It needs to be understood that Latha has long since completed herself, hers is a story of subtle changes and not a grand coming of age saga. To begin, let's reflect on what Latha is and her history. In particular, her genesis and Mount Celestia. Latha was created by Lathander's whimsy, possessing pure law unlike her maker.  In time she felt more drawn to the Holy Mountain, and with Lathander's blessing, swore allegiance to the Archons and Hebdomad. In other words, her maturity is long since past. She has found her proper place in Creation and is content.

In viewing that, one must remember the central tenet of Mount Celestia. Constant self improvement and a journey to the top of the mountain where true enlightenment awaits. Until Latha steps into Chronias the journey never ends, always another hill to climb. Despite possessing wisdom and focus beyond that any mortal save the most enlightened, there is far more for her to climb. Latha is a completed spirit, but she is not done growing. She wrestles with the Truth, the revelations she has seen staring into the pure light of Chronias. She is complete, yet at the same time, she seeks to become more complete.  It is a paradox to us - she is Good but works to become more Good. This is the crux of any analysis of Latha. How do you address a spiritual matter of this scale? I don't know. This is not a bad thing! How many souls has Latha seen say that very thing on first gazing up at Mount Celestia, seeking to begin a long journey towards it's peak? So let us use the tools we have available and analyze Latha as best we can.

Latha's contact with the party begins with Alicia freeing her from Hell's grasp. This act has interesting symbolic ramifications; Latha's freedom is essentially a second life. One may consider that she has been born-again. When Latha appears next, she comes bearing a second life for Antenora, so that she may be reborn outside of Hell's grasp. This puts a distinctly salvationist slant to her actions. As she was saved by Alicia's bravery and sacrifices, so was she able to save another through her own actions. In many ways Antenora and Latha were no different, contained within prisons they could not escape on their own.  She has the role of the prisoner and savior both, a duality that belies her status as an exalted angel.

Later Latha appears to lead the Crimson Guard on a crusade against Hell. They aid in driving back the forces of Baator from the Prime; she fights with them through the entire battle as a comrade in arms. Every time the Crimson Guard faces Hell, Latha stands with them. She is one of them, part of the group of fallible mortals and a repenting immortal.  She walks the earth with the Crimson Guard, both blessed spirit and a hero-in-arms, no different from the mortals she fights with. At this juncture it should be noted that both of her early instances have a duality to them. Further, her state of being perfectly Good and yet becoming more Good juxtaposes with this.

Let us look further. In time Latha peers into perfect Chronias, holding the light of pure Truth in her hands. What can compare to this? It is the end of the journey for any Archon, a transcendent truth that illuminates all. It is her Nirvana, in which she surpasses all into a higher existence. Yet again, she turns away from this Truth to walk with the Crimson Guard. Even as she walks with them, she carries the light of the Truth with her. She has become yet more perfect, but stays behind. Why? Certainly virtue and duty have a role to speak of here, but both are easily dismissed. What greater duty is there for a spirit of Celestia to take that final step? It is the ultimate virtue, the final duty and the greatest gift of the Holy Mountain. To take that step would be all she has existed for. Why did she not take it? You say 'Because of her friends needing her!' and I say this is not incorrect, but it is not true. For Latha the angel, all that would not matter. She would take the final step and vanish from the known Creation forevermore. But Latha the angel was defeated, frozen and imprisoned within the Halls of the Vanquished. She was left behind in defeat and subdual; in short, Latha the angel died long ago.

What is Latha now? I find myself hesitant and struggling for the proper phrase to describe her status. Let us use traveler for now, no matter how imprecise it may seem. If Latha the angel died, then Latha the traveler was born from Alicia's act of  salvation.  Born anew she looked up at the Holy Mountain and asked herself how could she climb this? The answer was one she has given many times before: Put your faith in what saved you and accept it's wisdom, so that you may grow far greater. She came to her Holy Mountain, the Crimson Guard. She became one with them, beginning her journey anew. Latha began to travel, from the first step of giving her gift of salvation to another. Then it was to share their pain, sorrow and hardship in battle, to bleed and work with them. After that it was to live with them, to grow with them, to find great Truths with them and to in the step into the light of Chronias - or as Chronias may be here, Sylica. Latha has traveled far with Alicia, sharing in her journey and growing wiser and greater with her. 

It must be noted that this is not exclusive to Latha improving. Latha the traveler has been a guide, council and friend to Alicia just as much as Alicia has been to her. As much as she was saved by Alicia and then saved Antenora, there is a fundamental duality.  In fact, on the surface it may appear Latha is the wise mentor to Alicia, but underneath the situation is infinitely more detailed. In light of this, Latha makes supreme sense. Alicia is HER Goddess and Queen. She kneels not to embarrass Alicia or to distance herself from Alicia, but because it's the proper thing to do. It is a symbol of the utmost love, respect and honor Latha feels for Alicia.  This is in contrast to Antenora, who sees her as more of a best friend-mother-savior role, though certainly no less complex.

---

Damn lawful outsiders. All this complexity and depth makes me write a ton.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Mature is a good word for Latha, since really until her stint as guardian of Chronias she never had any issues. Any regrets from her past or torments suffered in Stygia never came up, and it didn't seem like she was repressing just that she was above all that. She has done well as a mentor figure for Alicia - it's kinda funny how both Latha and Antenora shaped Alicia's journey from borderline falling paladin to exalted saint. While Antenora was the penitent student, who encouraged Alicia to be her best in order to set a good example, Latha served as the example of what Alicia herself should strive towards.

As far as Latha kneeling before Alicia, it's not something that embarrasses her, per se. She's embraced the role of Queen and well knows the value of ceremony and symbolism, so such displays don't really put her off. But by the same token, she feels that Latha is someone who deserves to stand above most of the others who serve her, out of deference to their shared history. Of course she's also aware that some people like to play their part in royal theatre, and don't want a 'chummy' leader, so she doesn't stress over it either way.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on August 04, 2010, 02:00:38 PMMature is a good word for Latha, since really until her stint as guardian of Chronias she never had any issues. Any regrets from her past or torments suffered in Stygia never came up, and it didn't seem like she was repressing just that she was above all that. She has done well as a mentor figure for Alicia - it's kinda funny how both Latha and Antenora shaped Alicia's journey from borderline falling paladin to exalted saint. While Antenora was the penitent student, who encouraged Alicia to be her best in order to set a good example, Latha served as the example of what Alicia herself should strive towards.

Pretty much. I think that point illustrates the fundamental dynamic to the three: No matter the position, each of them helped the others rise higher. I often used the Crimson Guard rather than Alicia explicitly to convey this, but the point stands. I used the concept of duality with Latha to illustrate between what she was and what she was changing to. That the three have formed a trinity of sorts in Sylica is no accident.

QuoteAs far as Latha kneeling before Alicia, it's not something that embarrasses her, per se. She's embraced the role of Queen and well knows the value of ceremony and symbolism, so such displays don't really put her off. But by the same token, she feels that Latha is someone who deserves to stand above most of the others who serve her, out of deference to their shared history. Of course she's also aware that some people like to play their part in royal theatre, and don't want a 'chummy' leader, so she doesn't stress over it either way.

Pretty much. She sees Alicia how she always has, it's just a matter of being proper and precise and honoring her. Stuff like that.
<Afina> Forever.