News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I'm not sure I'll be done by then. I think I can make Thursday safely.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Thursday is fine for me.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Any miscellaneous questions? Yuth had one about how native outsiders are handled. If you have any lay 'em out.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

What is the most delicious candy in Balmuria called?

Anastasia

Candy as we know it isn't common. Sugar is rare and while some outside influences have shown it, chocolate isn't but a curiosity. Sweets revolve around fruits and honey. Lots of bakery goods with sweet jams, honey or fruit are common. The most popular and often made into bite sized pieces is called Elf Bread. This is a bastardization of a Pallanth recipe for fruit-flavored breads. The humans of Balmuria have turned it into candy versus Pallanth, which uses it as a main course. Apples, pears, peaches are the most common filler. Often small bits of honey are given out to dip the bread in as well.

Traditional elves view human Elf Bread as ruining a perfectly good recipe, by the way.

If you're rich enough to afford exotic fare you can get sweet things from most of the known world. If you're fantastically rich or a wizard with time to kill, you can get anything you could ever imagine in the Realms Beyond. If you're willing to risk it, of course.

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Anything pressing about the elves and their ways that I should know? I'd like to incorporate some elvish affectations into Wayland, but all I know as of right now is isolationism and elf bread!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ebiris

Man, every time Jessica went on about having elf bread I thought she was just being really pretentious/picky and getting something like regular bread with no crusts or something stupid like that, but it actually sounds pretty nice.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 18, 2010, 02:49:24 AM
Anything pressing about the elves and their ways that I should know? I'd like to incorporate some elvish affectations into Wayland, but all I know as of right now is isolationism and elf bread!

The elves of Pallanth? Okay then, let's get to this. As elves are long lived, you see humans regarded as hasty, short lived things with no appreciation for proper culture. In recent times this attitude has been challenged due to increased contact with humans, but not enough to effect the remote elves of Rena. A typical elf would see a human and ask them what's the hurry? Compared a human, an elf from Pallanth is going to take their time, think and make a proper choice if possible. If going into a situation where swift choices are required, an elf will take the time to resolve all they can before this. They are not incapable of acting fast, but prefer not to whenever conditions permit.

The ordered, well kept kingdom of Pallanth has instilled patience and persistence in the elves. They are not chaotic nature worshipers as much as long lived patrons of the land. In this respect they are much more human than the stereotype. They own land, farm it and use it just like humans. They have a natural attachment to forests but can live anywhere. See the elves of Resolve and those brave, crazy souls that challenge the tundra in the shadow of the Amaryl Mountain Range. They respect nature but are not above changing it to their tastes.

Elves tend to change slowly and resist change. This particular facet of long life is currently part of the cultural war in Pallanth; the fey would prefer more flexible, chaotic elves. The elves of Pallanth are downright lawful in how they process and deal with the world. They emphasize community, kingdom, continuity. Monogamy is the law of the land; families are encouraged and expected. Underlying all of this is the loyalty and order instilled into the elves from a young age.

So Yuth, back at you. How do you think elves like this would imprint on someone?  Why wouldn't they get along with Wayland and why would he turn out the way he did with them? Food for thought.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on September 18, 2010, 08:28:19 AM
Man, every time Jessica went on about having elf bread I thought she was just being really pretentious/picky and getting something like regular bread with no crusts or something stupid like that, but it actually sounds pretty nice.

You can blame Roald for this. His father is the one who brought back the recipe, his family's bakery was the first shop to bastardize elf bread.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Oh yeah. Merc/Cor, you two were talking about mapping?
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Vaguely. I was going to try to put together a map of the known world based on what Cor posted in page 3, and what you've posted in world flavor.

Anastasia

By all means, it would be awesome.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on September 18, 2010, 08:50:52 AM
Quote from: Yuthirin on September 18, 2010, 02:49:24 AM

The elves of Pallanth? Okay then, let's get to this. As elves are long lived, you see humans regarded as hasty, short lived things with no appreciation for proper culture. In recent times this attitude has been challenged due to increased contact with humans, but not enough to effect the remote elves of Rena. A typical elf would see a human and ask them what's the hurry? Compared a human, an elf from Pallanth is going to take their time, think and make a proper choice if possible. If going into a situation where swift choices are required, an elf will take the time to resolve all they can before this. They are not incapable of acting fast, but prefer not to whenever conditions permit.

The ordered, well kept kingdom of Pallanth has instilled patience and persistence in the elves. They are not chaotic nature worshipers as much as long lived patrons of the land. In this respect they are much more human than the stereotype. They own land, farm it and use it just like humans. They have a natural attachment to forests but can live anywhere. See the elves of Resolve and those brave, crazy souls that challenge the tundra in the shadow of the Amaryl Mountain Range. They respect nature but are not above changing it to their tastes.

Elves tend to change slowly and resist change. This particular facet of long life is currently part of the cultural war in Pallanth; the fey would prefer more flexible, chaotic elves. The elves of Pallanth are downright lawful in how they process and deal with the world. They emphasize community, kingdom, continuity. Monogamy is the law of the land; families are encouraged and expected. Underlying all of this is the loyalty and order instilled into the elves from a young age.

So Yuth, back at you. How do you think elves like this would imprint on someone?  Why wouldn't they get along with Wayland and why would he turn out the way he did with them? Food for thought.

Well, I can see some of the above coloring the way that Wayland was raised. He would likely have the 'hastiness' that was engendered by his human half, and the elemental half would prove to be more chaotic than what the orderly elves were used to (specifically in his childhood and early teen years, when he was an obnoxious little blue snot). The lawful alignment he now has is entirely the doing of the monks in the temple he lived at. I see him having a strong appreciation for wind blowing through trees, and whipping through mountain passes. Moreover, I see him as being occasionally mistaken for a fey creature in Pallanth.

Hmm.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 26, 1974, 10:35:28 PM
Well, I can see some of the above coloring the way that Wayland was raised. He would likely have the 'hastiness' that was engendered by his human half, and the elemental half would prove to be more chaotic than what the orderly elves were used to (specifically in his childhood and early teen years, when he was an obnoxious little blue snot). The lawful alignment he now has is entirely the doing of the monks in the temple he lived at. I see him having a strong appreciation for wind blowing through trees, and whipping through mountain passes. Moreover, I see him as being occasionally mistaken for a fey creature in Pallanth.

Hmm.

That all makes sense. I don't think he'd relate to the elven lawfulness as much as a more natural lawfulness. A harmony of nature, if you will. Someone who would live in nature instead of owning and altering nature to their will? A strong emphasis on the wind element would be a part of this. The sky, the wind, air, clouds, sunlight?

He could easily be mistaken as a fey. Fey knowledge is something the elves of Pallanth are weak on, as until 20ish years ago fey were all but extinct in Pallanth.  The typical elf wouldn't appreciate the difference between a half-fey and a genasi that easily. An elf knowledgeable enough to identify him as a genasi may still be reverent. It's not a far stretch to appreciate a genasi as a descendant of a raw elemental force, and that's not all that removed from what a fey is.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Character sheet request: Make sure your type and any subtypes are noted on your sheet. For example a human is a humanoid (human).  I know listing human sounds like it should say it all, but humor me and be specific.
<Afina> Forever.