"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3671/balmuriatheknownworld.jpg

Thanks Merc! Feedback!

Pallanth is a little straighter rather than north leaning in it's extremities. Past it isn't ocean, but after the Amaryl Mountain Range lies a long, wide tract of virgin land. This land is known of as the Lost Eastlands and very little is known about it in Balmuria. OOC it's where Alicia and Seira defeated the Destroyer and freed the Forsaken. Past that IS ocean.

Malmuth is bigger and deeper to the south by about 1/3rd or so. The wastelands don't jut southward past it, but form a contiguous coast. They stretch farther to the west than anyone's ever been.

The nameless southern sea is known as Maluth Ocean. Hasn't ever come up since the southern reaches of Malmuth never came into play.

No capital for the Southern Confederation was reached, but you know what? Let's run with Finlay. Berli felt like naming a city after himself.

Victoria is more northern to line up better with Balmuria and Arad.

Nodlitz and Kelara being the only two powers west of the Fiefdoms is moderate misrepresentation. Most of the land is unaligned or small free cities. However, this is a trend that's developing as the two powers strengthen and war threatens.

There isn't ocean west of Nodliz/Jungle. The jungle and the wasteland more or less meet, and what lies west of that is a question for the sages. The jungle is also a bit bigger and stretches to the north more.

There isn't sea to the west of the 'Unknown Kingdoms', but dwarf held mountains and hints of more lands beyond them. These were never explored and are beyond Balmuria's knowledge.

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Feedback on your feedback, since I'm stuck in one place and bored!

Chillander would have to be more north than most areas, wouldn't it? Conforming to normal weather patterns, the level of cold that you're describing there would require it to be very far north, near one of the poles, to get the weather it does...unless there's some sort of localized weather condition that I'm not aware of.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 22, 2010, 02:06:15 PM
Feedback on your feedback, since I'm stuck in one place and bored!

Chillander would have to be more north than most areas, wouldn't it? Conforming to normal weather patterns, the level of cold that you're describing there would require it to be very far north, near one of the poles, to get the weather it does...unless there's some sort of localized weather condition that I'm not aware of.

This assumes normal weather patterns and a mundane world. There's no assertion any of these are true in a fantasy world, they just are. There shouldn't be perfectly warm lands past the Amaryl Mountain Range at the same latitude/longitude, should there? But there are.

In other words, it's fantasy. Sometimes shit violates these rules 'cause of magic and other things. Same reason that there is the wastelands.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Edited map. Let me know if I misunderstood something, or need to change anything else.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

It's not the Malmuth Ocean to the south, it's the Maluth ocean. Easy mistake to make! <_<

The lost eastlands don't connect to the northern continent at all. Everything else looks fine. Awesome.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Edited map again. Also added in Chyral as a location.

Anastasia

Awesome MErc, thanks. I'll add it to a sticky thread tomorrow.

Remember, we game tomorrow! Be there and be ready!
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Yay for maps! Yay for game! Merc, what program did you use to make those maps?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

Fractal Terrains & Photoshop.

Anastasia

General note: Any purchases, selling or other monetary transactions should go into loot. Post them, I use the loot topic as a reference for these things.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Attaching current progress on Baronies map. Still need to really draw the mountains & forests (using ugly patterned placehorder layers for now), and make reasonable trade routes, as well as making parches of the land look more like farmland.

I'm currently guessing/making stuff up as to the location of the main baronies' cities, which I wanted to put in the map (I am assuming the cities have the same name as the barony to which they belong), not to mention a lot of where placement of greenery/mountains/trade routes/rivers/etc would be.

Anastasia

Looks good!

Parsifal should be a little more to the south.

The Barbarian Lands should have much heavier forestation.

Malmuth should be bigger, I doubt you'd quite see Malmuth on a map of that scale and size.

Mostly looks really good, Merc.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I'll take out both cities for Tauret and Malmuth. You're right, at that map scale, Malmuth wouldn't be on the map, and probably neither would Tauret. I'm going to shift Purinn a bit more south-west.

Any thoughts on general location of baronies' main city? Which one do you want to be which of Armasea, Pilltain, Erran, Fanshold, Silvermane, Quintal, Fairwind, Sicham, and Malway? The first two would be the northern ones, but other than that, dunno.

I'll lower Parsifal southward.

On Barbarian Lands, would trade routes still exist -through- the heavy forest? I was planning to make it heavier, at the very least, but wasn't sure on trade routes being present through.

I'll go back to work on this map sometime tuesday, just wanted to get some preliminary comments on it.

Ebiris

You've still got Chyal about 200km away from Balmuria when it's closer to 5. Otherwise, tough, it looks fantastic!

Anastasia

NPCs and places updated. Nothing major, right now I'm making sure nothing's forgotten rather than going for depth.
<Afina> Forever.