News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Working on that Elemental Archon PrC for Yuth. As a related note, if any of you are interested in Faiths and Pantheons classes, talk to me. Most of them have horribly designed entry requirements, most of them will get toned down.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Belated response on some things.

Initiate of Alicia: The Know Vulnerability stands out, sorta. It's such a boring spell, too. I guess paladins can quicken it with a feat? Anyway, why not drop it to lvl3 for them?

Crusader prc: Already commented, looks great, my only comment on all paladin features remains the 1/week issue. So sad....

Survivor prc: Isn't improved mettle epic? I think the class is a lot better in gestalt than it would be under any normal circumstances, especially since even a dip into it turns out better (rogue 2/survivor 2 can swap evasion for spell turning and have them both, for example). It's definitely a class you want to take to avoid dying, and the other side of gestalt can take care of killing everything. Skills are just too sparse; you can always add all sorts of physical ones like swim/jump/etc. I also don't like the prereqs, feat-wise. They're perfect for certain types of character and for your favorite NPC build. I think it would be better to diversify there and have it a real choice of whether people want to become survivors. I don't have a concrete suggestion, but I'd propose ditching Toughness and not having the second of the feats be a feat you get for free from a base class (such as Endurance). Maybe use something like those Spelltouched feats? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm

Knight prc: I know you said it was mostly for fun, but I have a couple thoughts just in case. I know plenty prcs have 1st lvl spells as prereq, but it looks kinda weird here to me. It's a terrible shame that a level of casting is lost. I guess Ordained Champion also did it.... I don't really think it needs to be an Exalted prc, to be honest, feat nonwithstanding. Good should be good enough, bad pun nonwithstanding.

Silverstar prc: Will Balyss become a lycanthrope? >_> Anyway, I know you're just redesigning it, not remaking it, but I'd like to make a suggestion of changing some names around. I get the theme, I really do, but when everything you have is moon this and luna that, they tend to mesh together. Kinda like how so many angels in B1 had similar names, which makes sense but also makes it harder to keep them apart?

Elemental Archon prc: It's not the sort of fluff that draws me, alas. No comment, I'm afraid.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 11, 2011, 07:25:30 AMInitiate of Alicia: The Know Vulnerability stands out, sorta. It's such a boring spell, too. I guess paladins can quicken it with a feat? Anyway, why not drop it to lvl3 for them?

On checking you're right. I used the sorc/wiz level for it and I really should have used the cleric level for it, which is 3.

QuoteSurvivor prc: Isn't improved mettle epic? I think the class is a lot better in gestalt than it would be under any normal circumstances, especially since even a dip into it turns out better (rogue 2/survivor 2 can swap evasion for spell turning and have them both, for example). It's definitely a class you want to take to avoid dying, and the other side of gestalt can take care of killing everything. Skills are just too sparse; you can always add all sorts of physical ones like swim/jump/etc. I also don't like the prereqs, feat-wise. They're perfect for certain types of character and for your favorite NPC build. I think it would be better to diversify there and have it a real choice of whether people want to become survivors. I don't have a concrete suggestion, but I'd propose ditching Toughness and not having the second of the feats be a feat you get for free from a base class (such as Endurance). Maybe use something like those Spelltouched feats? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm

Improved Mettle shows up once or twice non epic. It's not a common ability in any event.

Honestly the feat pre-reqs are fine. They fit someone who's trying to survive and endure, which lines up with the thematics of the class perfectly. That all said I'm not sure it matters, since I don't think I'm going to use it or allow it. Revised survivor's a little too good in gestalt for my tastes. Getting that entire line in 5 levels feels like a good bandage for a baddie or two, but having it out there easily for everyone is...meh.

QuoteSilverstar prc: Will Balyss become a lycanthrope? >_> Anyway, I know you're just redesigning it, not remaking it, but I'd like to make a suggestion of changing some names around. I get the theme, I really do, but when everything you have is moon this and luna that, they tend to mesh together. Kinda like how so many angels in B1 had similar names, which makes sense but also makes it harder to keep them apart?

Funny story! Balyss is a native outsider since she's an aasimar. Lycanthropy only affects humanoids and giants. So the chances of Balyss becoming one is quite low, unless I decide to work that into her. I'm not going to worry about that 'till it's a lot closer. As for the rest of it, I could, but it doesn't bother me and it's an NPC's class. Conservation of DMing effort kicks into effect, in other words. <_<
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

House rule post. Half orcs are now +2 str and -2 cha, instead of +2 str and -2 cha and int. This is a change I approve of, though I hadn't bothered with it since it wasn't relevant until now.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

OKAY!

What are you guys going to want to do between now and going to Senaril's domain? Let me know so I can plan it out and have things run smoothly tomorrow. Get your ducks in a row in here.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Unless Lyris indicates any sort of time pressure, go back to Balmuria, get my sight back, buy some potions/scrolls of cure blindness, go back and kick ass.

Corwin

Ask Lyris if she believes it is time-critical to go to Senaril's realm RIGHT NOW and stop her or if she's not ready to unleash her fiendish plot just yet and we can wait a day.

Assuming we wait, then we return to Balmuria, cure Janson, pick up a few potions of curing blindness, fill Josa in on everything and ask him to inform the Guard, and head right back in. I'd suggest anyone who doesn't have anti-fey weapons to get something suitable, but that's pretty obvious. As Lyris can show us the way inside, she can presumably show us how to get to Senaril within her realm. If she can't, we'll walk around till we find her or Marianne. That's it~

Anastasia

Added a new ACF to custom crap. It's for factotums.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

At first I just converted everything from blood to fire. On the second pass, I decided to shift some abilities and replace a couple others, since it made more sense to have your fire spells autoset people on fire (rather than force some lame dc15 reflex save) than give you X potions per day. Fluff and desc suck, but they're mostly here to describe the intent and show how I think it can work mechanically. I also started out with an element-neutral class (for example, secondary effect: Acid/sickened, Cold/blinded, Electricity/entangled, Fire/dazed, Sound/defeaned) but in the end decided to just focus on fire. If this works, fluff for a specific element can be easier to come up with, and it would work as is for the rest, too.

Firegirl!

Prereqs:
Great Fortitude, Toughness
Arcane caster level 5
Must have fire immunity

Skills:
2+Int

Spellcasting/BAB/Saves:
As in the original: http://i52.tinypic.com/6h6e50.png

Special:

1st, Essence of Fire (Su): You have learned to incorporate tiny bits of your very essence in your fire spells! This increases the spell's power by raising the spell's caster level by 1.

2nd, Pyrosynthesis (Ex): Your link to your fiery nature strengthens. Whenever you cast a fire spell or are a target of such a spell yourself, you recover HP equal to the spell level. If you reach or are at maximum health, this power has no effect.

3rd, Energy Vulnerability (Sp): You can use Energy Vulnerability (PHB2 p113) as the spell once per day. You can only make your target vulnerable to fire.

4th, Elemental Fury (Su): Up to six times per day, you can enhance fire spells to unprecedented heights! If your spell hits, another effect discharges automatically with an unparalleled fury, doing continuous 1d6 elemental damage to your target each round by agonizingly setting the target on fire until they either take a full round action to smother the flames consuming them or dispel the effect.

5th, Recruit Elemental (Su): You may bond with a medium fire elemental as your familiar.
5th, Essence of Fire, Greater (Su): You can incorporate more of your essence into your fire spells, raising the spell's caster level by another 1 to a total of +2. The DC of your fire spells also raises by +1.

6th, Elemental Wrath (Su): Not only can you imbue your spells with your essence, you can guide them just as easily as if they were your very extremities! Several times a day (your level in this class + Con) your fire spells can be charged with a secondary effect if the spell hits. For one round (Fort DC negates) your targets are dazed.

8th, Burn the Heretic! (Su): Once a day with a melee touch attack, as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you can deal 10d10 points of fire damage to your target if they are vulnerable to fire. The effect is instanteneous. If you fail to hit, you can try to use this ability again the same day.

9th, Apotheosis (Ex): Your increasing encorporation of fiery energy into your spirit enriches it, bringing you vitality. You gain a 2-point increase to your Constitution score.

10th, Firestride (Su): You become fully attuned to fire in ways you could once only dream of! Once per day as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you can transport yourself to any source of fire, magical or nonmagical, that you can see. The targets of your successful Elemental Fury count as such sources until the secondary damage has been neutralized. You emerge at any unoccupied point within 5ft of your chosen destination. You can choose to display the true supermacy of the flames above all else upon exiting, causing a massive fiery explosion for a radius of 30ft around the point where you emerge. The explosion deals 10d6 points of damage and dazes everyone in the affected area for one round as a secondary effect (Fort DC 10+class level+Con for halved damage and no secondary effect).

Anastasia

Added a houserule to fix divine crusader casting.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 14, 2011, 01:42:14 PMGreat Fortitude, Toughness

Those are outdated. I'd chose different prerequisite feats now. More on this below with the con booster.

Quote1st, Essence of Fire (Su): You have learned to incorporate tiny bits of your very essence in your fire spells! This increases the spell's power by raising the spell's caster level by 1.

Is this just a flat +1 boost to caster level? Do you mean for it to still do HP damage like Blood Magus?

Quote2nd, Pyrosynthesis (Ex): Your link to your fiery nature strengthens. Whenever you cast a fire spell or are a target of such a spell yourself, you recover HP equal to the spell level. If you reach or are at maximum health, this power has no effect.

Okay, that's a nice ability, though way better than what it replaces(Scarification?) .

Quote3rd, Energy Vulnerability (Sp): You can use Energy Vulnerability (PHB2 p113) as the spell once per day. You can only make your target vulnerable to fire.

This is again way better than what it replaces(Death Knell.). Granted, Death Knell is a crappy spell any which way.

Quote4th, Elemental Fury (Su): Up to six times per day, you can enhance fire spells to unprecedented heights! If your spell hits, another effect discharges automatically with an unparalleled fury, doing continuous 1d6 elemental damage to your target each round by agonizingly setting the target on fire until they either take a full round action to smother the flames consuming them or dispel the effect.

How do they dispel the effect? That needs to be elaborated on, especially if you mean by dispel magic.

That's a step down from blood drought, though not a serious one. On the other hand it's a marked improvement over Bloodfeeder Spell.

Quote5th, Recruit Elemental (Su): You may bond with a medium fire elemental as your familiar.

This needs some mechanical work (Read how improved familiar deals with this). The ability is fine otherwise.

OOC I'm not a fan of it, since I usually don't bring in familiars to NPC casters. It's just another level of complexity I prefer to avoid. I don't mind you guys having friends, but I don't want to get into situations where the friends bring friends along and it turns into a recursive DMing headache.

Quote5th, Essence of Fire, Greater (Su): You can incorporate more of your essence into your fire spells, raising the spell's caster level by another 1 to a total of +2. The DC of your fire spells also raises by +1.

Okay, looks fine pending the question about the regular old Essence of Fire.

Quote6th, Elemental Wrath (Su): Not only can you imbue your spells with your essence, you can guide them just as easily as if they were your very extremities! Several times a day (your level in this class + Con) your fire spells can be charged with a secondary effect if the spell hits. For one round (Fort DC negates) your targets are dazed.

This ability looks completely original and pretty potent. Adding disablement to attacking spells is nice, basically making nay fire spell have Orb of Fire's secondary ability.

Quote8th, Burn the Heretic! (Su): Once a day with a melee touch attack, as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you can deal 10d10 points of fire damage to your target if they are vulnerable to fire. The effect is instanteneous. If you fail to hit, you can try to use this ability again the same day.

I'd rewrite this. A touch attack deals 10d10 points of fire damage - you don't need the vulnerable bit, unless you intend for it to only work on creatures vulnerable to fire in the mechanical sense?

Quote9th, Apotheosis (Ex): Your increasing encorporation of fiery energy into your spirit enriches it, bringing you vitality. You gain a 2-point increase to your Constitution score.

This ability doesn't really mesh with the rest of the class now. It's all about fire and burning things, and one of the pre-requisites to the class is fire immunity. There's not much of a line or reason that this class toughens you up like Blood Magus does. As much as Simmer wants more con, it feels like a relic of Blood Magus.

Quote10th, Firestride (Su): You become fully attuned to fire in ways you could once only dream of! Once per day as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you can transport yourself to any source of fire, magical or nonmagical, that you can see. The targets of your successful Elemental Fury count as such sources until the secondary damage has been neutralized. You emerge at any unoccupied point within 5ft of your chosen destination. You can choose to display the true supermacy of the flames above all else upon exiting, causing a massive fiery explosion for a radius of 30ft around the point where you emerge. The explosion deals 10d6 points of damage and dazes everyone in the affected area for one round as a secondary effect (Fort DC 10+class level+Con for halved damage and no secondary effect).

Okay, that looks fine.

---

Most of this looks fine, albeit better than Blood Magus. There's only one real issue, and that's the disconnect between Blood Magus and this class. One of the big things for Blood Magus is needing Great Fortitude and Toughness to do what you're doing.  You constantly use your own blood and strengthen yourself with it. So the pre-reqs make sense, as does the con booster down the line. In this revision those don't jive with the rest of it. Most of it's fine otherwise.

While the familiar at 5th level is fine mechanically, I'd prefer to avoid it for the reasons listed there.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

-Prereqs and the con boost. I left them there since it wasn't that important, and I figured if you'd like the approach you'd just change them. I mean, you can argue Dex means more sense, or a casting stat, but I remember the chat in #e about key stats, and Con fits everyone and everything so I just kept it as is. Same with the prereqs. They might've made sense thematically in blood magus, but stuff like great fortitude is really just there to force you to waste a feat on something weak, first and foremost. I can see Energy Substitution (Fire) being there pretty easily, if you're asking me for my opinion on better options.

-Yes, it's a flat +1 to Fire Spells CL. This would include any and all spells with the Fire descriptor that you can cast. Fireball is eligible, Energy Substitutioned Lightning Bolt is cool, etc. I ended up deciding to axe the 1 hp damage. It was kinda pointless, and in any case, I axed the Eschew Materials benefit at the same time.

-In fact, after axing the self-caused damage I started wondering about why not just imitate that epic feat about healing from a swim in the lava and actually giving hp/temp hp? I didn't want to bother with stating when temp hp would and wouldn't stack, so I just went with hp recovery in the end. It's pretty ineffective so I don't think it can be abused, and it can always be explicitly stated this doesn't work on Sp, so there'd be no infinite healing spam. Replacement-wise, I would consider it to be standing in for scarification, durable casting and stanch, which are kinda awesome together.

-Yeah, the Sp part is where I had to go for thematic. Death Knell is shit, but there are too few spells that fit well here. From personal experience, Energy Vulnerability isn't that good (it gives you a save for negation, along with other things, and you have better things to do with your standard action than that). It's also limited to one element here, which I figured worked well enough. Yeah, it's a class based on a single element, but that in no way says you'll never face enemies immune to your fire or strongly resistant to it. In any case, at 1/day it's not really a big deal, I think.

-The way I imagined it and tried to write it up, this is lingering damage. Basically, the spell's secondary effect doing damage to you is the same as if the spell was still cast on you. Therefore, just like how you would dispel an original spell if it had duration instead of 'instantaneous', you'd dispel these secondary effects. I don't know if you strictly need to leave in the dispel option, to be honest. The idea was to make setting people on fire awesome, like FantasyCraft does (although FC does it lots better).

-On familiars, I figure it can just say 'you gain the improved familiar feat, and can only pick something related to your element' and call it a day. Also, while I didn't get into it here, I had that very thought. I dealt with it by deciding it's an ability that can have an ACF, but really left it to you if you wanted to change it. For example, just like a sorc can have use metamagic'd spells X times per day without raising casting time instead of a familiar, some ACF could exist here that builds up on that and, say, gives you the benefit of 'reduce metamagic cost on your fire spells X times per day'.

-I basically like it when things progress in a class rather than look to be strewn together. This is a class about becoming more and more 'one with fire', whether through using it more, or turning a part of yourself into it or literally ripping off parts of yourself to toss them at others and watch them explode. So anyway, this would give you +1 CL more and +1 DC to your fire spells.

-I tried to deal with the issue of Orbs being awesome and used disproportionally. Some of it really is because they are that good. But some of it is because it's cool to have your spells do weird secondary effects that briefly disable your enemies. It's not really one to one conversion, but I took the lvl4 and lvl6 abilities together. If you think this is better than the original lvl6 and the new lvl4 ability is less good than the original one, then I'd just ask you what you think of two compared to two.

-Huh, you didn't like it? It's taken pretty straight from Blood Magus. The vulnerability was there for several reasons. It's a slight nerf, since it limits who you can use it on. It's nice thematically, since it feels a bit like a smite against your opposites. And it gives you a reason to use Energy Vulnerability, which you normally wouldn't try. I like the idea of having abilities build on each other. In case it wasn't clear, vulnerable was in the mechanical sense, yes. So normal humans wouldn't be eligible targets. But Cold creatures, ice mephits, silver dragons, people hit with EV, they'd be the ones you can touch with this.

-I'd say that if you take out a stat bonus, you should probably add a spell level to compensate. As is, the class misses two. But I actually think some sort of stat boost can be here, as I wrote at the start.

-Overall, it's nice to hear there are no major mechanical issues. Blood Magus is just really creepy, although mechanically it's fairly good. It has no serious limits, be they targets or people you work with. His potions can be used on other people, Bloodwalk is so awesome it's like Greater Teleport with benefits, and it just might be the only class that can actually maintain concentration on a spell while attacked to disrupt it. The Homunculus is probably good enough to allow you to take an ACF for a familiar as well, and if you just see some of the abilities as feats, he gets an awful lot of item creation ones. Possibly enough to pass prereqs for some pretty stingy prcs. I've tried to keep the theme of obsessing over a single part of yourself. For people, it would be blood. For those who are part-element, it would be said element. If you are a creature of Fire, then fire is a part of you, and so why not build up on that, same way you would with blood? My fluff was seriously weak, but I'm sure something can be written to makes the link between your class abilities and your very nature closer and better-defined. Your powers with fire are shown to steadily grow as you progress, and you learn to do more unique things with them. And did I mention I think it's cool to tear off a tiny piece of your spirit and mix it with your spells to set other people on fire?

Anyway, I explained my reasons for deviating from just copying the Blood Magus ability for ability. I'm already happy with not being told it was a dumb write-up. Whether it is seen it as a reworked Blood Magus or as a prc that stands on its own and was only slightly inspired by Blood Magus really doesn't matter to me, I think, all in all. If you liked the idea enough to work at it and make it available as a prc in the game, that's cool. If it doesn't grab you, that's also cool, since like I said I was already happy with the mechanical part.

Anastasia

Re: Merc's new PC.

- So what exactly are Azurin? Elaborate here and how they fit into a typical human society.

- Most of the names in the Fiefdoms are Turkish or Arabic. You'll stand out a little bit to someone knowledgeable about the area if it comes up, since your name doesn't match the style at all. Fair warning.

- For incarnum I'm going to run with 'it's really rare but known of recently, one of the new forms of magic coming out.' Sort of the idea I'm using for Yuth and Psionics, though maybe 10-15 years ahead of that. This is as far as knowledge in this corner of the Prime goes, the planes and other realms are a completely different affair.

- Contacts are fine and can help ease you in. This is good.

- Your CMB/CMD look wrong to me. Can you run through how you got those values?

- You radiate an aura of law, yes? What strength is it?

- That's a nice image of your skill list that you have spoilered. Is that a program or did you do it by hand?
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

- So what exactly are Azurin? Elaborate here and how they fit into a typical human society.
Azurin are honestly just humans touched by incarnum, it gives them blue-ish eyes and the subtype incarnum (which itself just gives them an essentia pool), and instead of +1 skill/lv they get +1 essentia. I very vaguely commented on that.

- Most of the names in the Fiefdoms are Turkish or Arabic. You'll stand out a little bit to someone knowledgeable about the area if it comes up, since your name doesn't match the style at all. Fair warning.
I'll change the name, not attached to it or I could just say I come from somewhere in one of the baronies. I liked the idea of trying something different though. So probably a name change and I might hit you for more DF-ish info.

- For incarnum I'm going to run with 'it's really rare but known of recently, one of the new forms of magic coming out.' Sort of the idea I'm using for Yuth and Psionics, though maybe 10-15 years ahead of that. This is as far as knowledge in this corner of the Prime goes, the planes and other realms are a completely different affair.
That's what I was imagining, honestly.

- Contacts are fine and can help ease you in. This is good.
That was the idea!

- Your CMB/CMD look wrong to me. Can you run through how you got those values?
It is wrong, actually. I forgot to fix when I moved around some ability scores (used to have Str +2 instead of +1). I'd used http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Defense for formula for those since I didn't see it in house rules if it was different.

Assuming CMB is BAB+Str, it should be +7, and CMD = 10+CMB+dex = 10+7+4=21. So it should be +6/+7/21

- You radiate an aura of law, yes? What strength is it?
Equal to incarnate level. Functions like a cleric's aura.

- That's a nice image of your skill list that you have spoilered. Is that a program or did you do it by hand?
Excel spreadsheet actually. I just tossed it into photoshop and cropped it.

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 15, 2011, 04:05:52 PM-Prereqs and the con boost. I left them there since it wasn't that important, and I figured if you'd like the approach you'd just change them. I mean, you can argue Dex means more sense, or a casting stat, but I remember the chat in #e about key stats, and Con fits everyone and everything so I just kept it as is. Same with the prereqs. They might've made sense thematically in blood magus, but stuff like great fortitude is really just there to force you to waste a feat on something weak, first and foremost. I can see Energy Substitution (Fire) being there pretty easily, if you're asking me for my opinion on better options.

Well yeah, everyone wants con. Still, I don't think it fits the class or does any particular ability increase.

I'd consider feats like energy substitution(fire), searing spell, fiery spell and that ilk for prerequisites. Anything that focuses on fire is good.

Quote-Yes, it's a flat +1 to Fire Spells CL. This would include any and all spells with the Fire descriptor that you can cast. Fireball is eligible, Energy Substitutioned Lightning Bolt is cool, etc. I ended up deciding to axe the 1 hp damage. It was kinda pointless, and in any case, I axed the Eschew Materials benefit at the same time.

Anything with the fire descriptor then, yeah.

Quote-In fact, after axing the self-caused damage I started wondering about why not just imitate that epic feat about healing from a swim in the lava and actually giving hp/temp hp? I didn't want to bother with stating when temp hp would and wouldn't stack, so I just went with hp recovery in the end. It's pretty ineffective so I don't think it can be abused, and it can always be explicitly stated this doesn't work on Sp, so there'd be no infinite healing spam. Replacement-wise, I would consider it to be standing in for scarification, durable casting and stanch, which are kinda awesome together.

It's an interesting ability and draws on the more positive aspects of fire - purification and a phoenix like rebirth in the flames. I'd run with this, it makes a decent base to build the class and flavor on.

Quote-Yeah, the Sp part is where I had to go for thematic. Death Knell is shit, but there are too few spells that fit well here. From personal experience, Energy Vulnerability isn't that good (it gives you a save for negation, along with other things, and you have better things to do with your standard action than that). It's also limited to one element here, which I figured worked well enough. Yeah, it's a class based on a single element, but that in no way says you'll never face enemies immune to your fire or strongly resistant to it. In any case, at 1/day it's not really a big deal, I think.

It's fine as an ability. It's stronger, but yeah, Death Knell blows.

Quote-The way I imagined it and tried to write it up, this is lingering damage. Basically, the spell's secondary effect doing damage to you is the same as if the spell was still cast on you. Therefore, just like how you would dispel an original spell if it had duration instead of 'instantaneous', you'd dispel these secondary effects. I don't know if you strictly need to leave in the dispel option, to be honest. The idea was to make setting people on fire awesome, like FantasyCraft does (although FC does it lots better).

Okay. That makes sense, it's a question of DnD language and phrasing from there. This isn't that important right now, more of a final draft thing.

Quote-On familiars, I figure it can just say 'you gain the improved familiar feat, and can only pick something related to your element' and call it a day. Also, while I didn't get into it here, I had that very thought. I dealt with it by deciding it's an ability that can have an ACF, but really left it to you if you wanted to change it. For example, just like a sorc can have use metamagic'd spells X times per day without raising casting time instead of a familiar, some ACF could exist here that builds up on that and, say, gives you the benefit of 'reduce metamagic cost on your fire spells X times per day'.

Okay.

Go ahead and replace it with something. It's a fine ability, but I don't want to deal with a constant familiar for Simmer.

Quote-I basically like it when things progress in a class rather than look to be strewn together. This is a class about becoming more and more 'one with fire', whether through using it more, or turning a part of yourself into it or literally ripping off parts of yourself to toss them at others and watch them explode. So anyway, this would give you +1 CL more and +1 DC to your fire spells.

That's fine.

Quote-Huh, you didn't like it? It's taken pretty straight from Blood Magus. The vulnerability was there for several reasons. It's a slight nerf, since it limits who you can use it on. It's nice thematically, since it feels a bit like a smite against your opposites. And it gives you a reason to use Energy Vulnerability, which you normally wouldn't try. I like the idea of having abilities build on each other. In case it wasn't clear, vulnerable was in the mechanical sense, yes. So normal humans wouldn't be eligible targets. But Cold creatures, ice mephits, silver dragons, people hit with EV, they'd be the ones you can touch with this.

I don't dislike it, but just think it needs to be rewritten.

I think it only working on fire-weak creatures is a fairly big nerf. The corresponding ability works as long as it isn't an elemental/construct/undead or whatever. This leaves a large pool of things to target with it. On the other hand, the number of fire-weak creatures is much lower, and by that point there's little reason to use a round on energy vulnerability for 10d10 touch, when you can do better with a typical spell. It's a nice bit of comboing, but it's not very effective for that reason.

Quote-I'd say that if you take out a stat bonus, you should probably add a spell level to compensate. As is, the class misses two. But I actually think some sort of stat boost can be here, as I wrote at the start.

That or add in a new ability altogether.

---

Let me think about it and twist this 'round and 'round and 'round. There's no serious problems with it and it's fine enough work. There is one thing you CAN do, though! See this below? That's the table code I use for PrCs. You know what fucking sucks about them? If you said 'filling them out', you're absolutely correct! It's fucking tedious as hell, so I challenge YOU to copy that table and nicely fill it out! Go glance at the last few PrCs in Custom Crap if you're curious to how it's supposed to look. Just fiddle with a bit to get an idea of how it works.

Please? >_>

[tr]
[td] row 1, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 1, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 1, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 1, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 1, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 1, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 1, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 2, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 2, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 2, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 2, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 2, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 2, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 2, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 3, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 3, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 3, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 3, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 3, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 3, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 3, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 4, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 4, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 4, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 4, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 4, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 4, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 4, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 5, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 5, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 5, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 5, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 5, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 5, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 5, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 6, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 6, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 6, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 6, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 6, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 6, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 6, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 7, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 7, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 7, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 7, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 7, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 7, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 7, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 8, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 8, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 8, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 8, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 8, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 8, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 8, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 9, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 9, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 9, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 9, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 9, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 9, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 9, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 10, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 10, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 10, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 10, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 10, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 10, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 10, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td] row 11, column 1 [/td]
[td] row 11, column 2 [/td]
[td] row 11, column 3 [/td]
[td] row 11, column 4 [/td]
[td] row 11, column 5 [/td]
[td] row 11, column 6 [/td]
[td] row 11, column 7 [/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
<Afina> Forever.