"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on April 16, 2011, 01:15:13 AM
- So what exactly are Azurin? Elaborate here and how they fit into a typical human society.
Azurin are honestly just humans touched by incarnum, it gives them blue-ish eyes and the subtype incarnum (which itself just gives them an essentia pool), and instead of +1 skill/lv they get +1 essentia. I very vaguely commented on that.

Okay. Say you're a random mutant or have a magic bloodline or whatever. Hell, claim you're the result of a marut getting frisky with a barmaid. Whatever works - or no explanation at all, you were just born that way. In other words, it's fine.

Quote- Most of the names in the Fiefdoms are Turkish or Arabic. You'll stand out a little bit to someone knowledgeable about the area if it comes up, since your name doesn't match the style at all. Fair warning.
I'll change the name, not attached to it or I could just say I come from somewhere in one of the baronies. I liked the idea of trying something different though. So probably a name change and I might hit you for more DF-ish info.

Okay.

Honestly, what I do is google turkish names or arabic names and choose one.

For the rest, feel free to talk to me in PM so we can iron out any details you care to know.

Quote- Your CMB/CMD look wrong to me. Can you run through how you got those values?
It is wrong, actually. I forgot to fix when I moved around some ability scores (used to have Str +2 instead of +1). I'd used http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Defense for formula for those since I didn't see it in house rules if it was different.

Assuming CMB is BAB+Str, it should be +7, and CMD = 10+CMB+dex = 10+7+4=21. So it should be +6/+7/21

You forgot miscellaneous modifiers. This includes things like deflection bonuses to armor class, which you have. So assuming +3 as noted on your sheet, your CMD should be 24.

Quote- You radiate an aura of law, yes? What strength is it?
Equal to incarnate level. Functions like a cleric's aura.

Okay, add the strength of the aura to your sheet? It's handy in case someone uses detect law.

Quote- That's a nice image of your skill list that you have spoilered. Is that a program or did you do it by hand?
Excel spreadsheet actually. I just tossed it into photoshop and cropped it.

Aw, I was hoping for a program. Ah well.

[/quote]
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quick clarification:

For tomorrow's session, we are gaming at the normal start time (12:45 PM EST) if possible. This wasn't made explicit when we planned this, so tossing this out there now. If this doesn't work for you, speak up now and I'll adjust the time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is a beta, some parts of it are missing. That's okay, don't worry about those. Feedback welcome, I went off in my own direction with this. The idea of life+fire appeals to Simmer, who is a fluke of nature that managed to combine the two.

Lord of the Bright Fires

Hit Die

d6

Requirements

Skills

Knowledge(Nature) 8 ranks.

Feats

Toughness, any one of fiery spell, searing spell or energy substitution(fire).

Essence of Fire (Su)

By channeling your own elemental nature, you strengthen your fire magic. You cast spells with the fire descriptor at +1 caster level.

Living Fire (Ex)

You represent fire and life entwined, always vital and always sustaining even as it b urns away old life to make way for new life. You lost access to any spell that causes energy drain or inflicts negative energy damage, these spells are removed from your spell lists.

Pyrosynthesis (Su)

The purifying and vital power of positive energy laced fire suffuses your being. Whenever you cast a spell with the fire descriptor, you heal hit points equal to it's spell level. For example, casting fireball heals you three hit points. You cannot go above your maximum hit points with this ability.

Energy Vulnerability (Sp)

You can use Energy Vulnerability (PHB2 p113) as the spell once per day. You can only make your target vulnerable to fire.

Elemental Fury (Su)

Through the living fury of fire, you can cause your foes to burn even after your spell concludes, imbued with a tiny fragment of life. Any time you deal damage to a target with a spell with the fire descriptor, they catch ablaze. This deals 1d6 damage per round(no save) until the flames are extinguished. This may be done by mundane means, as well as by dispel magic. Treat this ability as a spell effect equal to the caster level of the <class name goes here> for the sake of dispel magic.

Greater Essence of Fire (Su)

Your mastery of the flames increases. Your bonus to your caster level when casting spells with the fire descriptor rises by 1, to a total of +2. In addition, the DC of any spells you cast with the fire descriptor rises by 1.

Elemental Wrath (Su)

Through the overwhelming energy of positive fire, you are able to overwhelm your foes. A number of times a day equal to your main casting stat(Intelligence for wizards, charisma for sorcerers, for example), you may designate a spell with the fire descriptor, that deals damage and allows a saving throw for partial/no effect as overwhelming. An overwhelming spell leaves the victim dazed for one round if the saving throw is failed, due to being overwhelmed with the raw elemental vitality of fire.

Burn the Heretic! (Su)

At 8th level your touch can cause some of the creature's lifeforce to explode into fire. Once per day you may make a melee touch attack against a creature. If successful you deal 10d10 points of fire damage, as lifeforce is transformed into white flames that explode out of the victim's body in all directions. If you fail to hit, this ability is not expended. Non-living creatures such as undead and constructs are immune to this ability.

Shield of Fire (Su)

At 9th level the <insert class name> is constantly surrounded by vibrant white flames. This raw life force shields her own vitality, rendering her immune to energy drain and negative energy damage.

Fiery Life (Ex)

At 10th level your constant conduit to fire has further bolstered you. Your constitution rises by 2 points.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

A comment on the Fury. Since dousing flames in D&D is really easy, just make a note that merely using water or cold or whichever is not enough? I think it works best if you have to give up a standard/full round action to no longer be set on fire. Another suggestion is reducing the lost casting levels to one in the current setup.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Sure, I'll look into it tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 16, 2011, 02:55:44 PM
A comment on the Fury. Since dousing flames in D&D is really easy, just make a note that merely using water or cold or whichever is not enough? I think it works best if you have to give up a standard/full round action to no longer be set on fire. Another suggestion is reducing the lost casting levels to one in the current setup.

I edited it so that the flames go out on their own. If you spend effort mid-fight going into water, splashing yourself with water or rolling on the ground that does as desired. Alternately they can be dispelled, and unless you're fighting something unusual that takes an action as well.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Merc and Yuth, I'm hoping to get Merc into the game sometime this week and Yuth a little after. I'll need a day to wrap up things tomorrow, and probably Wednesday for some wrapup with Janson and Sylvie and other stuff. So ideally Merc on Thursday and Yuth either Friday or next week, depending on how it goes.

Tomorrow's priority is getting all of Aaeru's stuff done, or as much as possible before Cor goes on vacation.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Re: Sylvie's build.

Next level is Factotum 5//Swashbuckler 3. After that? I'm not quite sure, suspects below. She is sticking with exemplar, though, but that's several levels away.

Classes

Fighter 1: Could be useful for a bonus feat or to get a pre-req in order. Depends on any possible PrC access before Exemplar.
Monk 3: +10ft movement speed isn't bad, and it bumps her unarmed strikes up to 1d10. She may want an ACF for Still Mind, I'll look into it.
Caster dip: Unlikely to do, but varying bonuses. See Master of Masks below.
Ranger 1: Favored Enemy(Fey) is a valid choice for her after all that trauma. It's probably not worth it, though.
Swashbuckler 4: Unlikely, Swashbuckler drops off in use after level 3.
Rogue 1: Unlikely unless she needs sneak attack to get into an appealing PrC. If she does, taking level 2 of it is a slam dunk for improved evasion.
Scout 1: Eh, skirmish isn't bad but it's probably not worth it.
Warlock 1: There's some appeal with a few of the abilities. It makes a solid dip, though it's not outstanding. Best thing for her is a few levels, picking up one of the skill boosters and see invisibility+darkvision.

PrCs

Any PrC that's 10 levels wouldn't be finished anytime soon, if ever. Exemplar has priority.

Master of Masks: Cor suggested this. It would beg a caster dip if she goes into it at all, since it has some casting progression. It's possible and it sorta fits her, but I really need to read up on the masks and see how they stack up. I'm also lukewarm on dipping a casting class.
Nightsong Enforcer: Requires a fighter dip for improved initiative, grants her some SA and a few other helpful goodies for the party. Not bad, not great.
Occult Slayer: Always a decent option for fighter types, though the flavor doesn't really mesh with her. She'd need to dip fighter 2 before going in. She could finish it before Exemplar, though.
Death Delver: She easily qualifies for this and it has some interesting abilities, as well as minor spellcasting. It would need a few tweaks but it's an interesting idea. I like how it fits, flavorwise.
Chameleon: Requires a throwaway feat(Though I might houserule Jack of All Trades also qualifies), but opens up a lot of possibilities. I may pass on it simply because it's a headache, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

New house rule: No, you cannot play a tandem of Dawson and Pacey from Dawson's Creek. Singing the theme song is right out.

DMing: Driving me to drink one day at a time.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Dawson and Pacey Leery, two young dwarves with a lot on their minds.

We must explore every avenue of this potential drama! For the sake of money!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

I like Master of Masks because the fluff is nice, because it fits, and because while it's hardly overwhelming the synergy with her current skillset and Factotum is very nice. There are good skill bonuses and SLAs she can get from it, and Assassin and Gladiator alone boost attack and damage pretty decently, not to mention stack with Factotum and K:D's bonuses.

Even without casting it's neat, but if she dips a single level of something (beguiler or achivist might be interesting, considering her nature) it becomes loads better, too. Wizard is also obvious, and duskblade and sorc also bring their own benefits.

Death Delver: I don't really see how a class that worships death fits her, to be honest. Rebuking and fear aura are weird, and casting goes off wis. The capstone and death ward are nice, but that's about it for me.

Nightsong Enforcer: Nice class, overall. I know I'd appreciate the bonus SA, but this should really be about her and not about me.

Chameleon: Very nice mechanically. Kinda eh on coolness, but who needs it with that set of powers?

Exemplar: Kinda boring, all things considered. Maybe she'd like to stick to two of the prcs above, or Master of Masks and Paragnostic Apostle?

Ebiris

Thematics-wise, Master of Masks does sound funner than most of the other stuff suggested, and it would be neat to see it in use. I can see that giving Sylvie another source of weak-sauce casting alongside her factotum weak casting seems less appealing, so why not trade the Master of Mask's partial casting progression for better bab or a couple of bonus feats or something?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 19, 2011, 04:46:39 AMI like Master of Masks because the fluff is nice, because it fits, and because while it's hardly overwhelming the synergy with her current skillset and Factotum is very nice. There are good skill bonuses and SLAs she can get from it, and Assassin and Gladiator alone boost attack and damage pretty decently, not to mention stack with Factotum and K:D's bonuses. Even without casting it's neat, but if she dips a single level of something (beguiler or archivist might be interesting, considering her nature) it becomes loads better, too. Wizard is also obvious, and duskblade and sorc also bring their own benefits.

The fluff on Master of Masks is fine, except the masks part. That's fairly unappealing to me, though it doesn't make or break the class.

The main thing is that if she goes to the hassle of dipping a casting class and then taking this, Chameleon does it better and fits her just as well. If I'm going to go to the hassle of dealing with this sort of thing, I may as well go all out, y'know?

QuoteDeath Delver: I don't really see how a class that worships death fits her, to be honest. Rebuking and fear aura are weird, and casting goes off wis. The capstone and death ward are nice, but that's about it for me.

The flavor is more like 'I've seen the worst death has' and dealing with those aftershocks. The casting is a bad fit for her, though I'm inclined to houserule the rebuking to turning for a few reasons. Main appeal of this class is getting into the world of divine feats.

QuoteNightsong Enforcer: Nice class, overall. I know I'd appreciate the bonus SA, but this should really be about her and not about me.

Basically. It's solid and if nothing else comes through she can go into it.

QuoteChameleon: Very nice mechanically. Kinda eh on coolness, but who needs it with that set of powers?

The powers are very much the 'cool' appeal of it, agreed. After all of this, making Sylvie more competent has a high level of appeal.

QuoteExemplar: Kinda boring, all things considered. Maybe she'd like to stick to two of the prcs above, or Master of Masks and Paragnostic Apostle?

I happen to like Exemplar. <_<

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on April 19, 2011, 07:57:02 AM
Thematics-wise, Master of Masks does sound funner than most of the other stuff suggested, and it would be neat to see it in use. I can see that giving Sylvie another source of weak-sauce casting alongside her factotum weak casting seems less appealing, so why not trade the Master of Mask's partial casting progression for better bab or a couple of bonus feats or something?

I could fiddle with it, sure.

On thinking about it, my complaint Master of Masks is twofold. One, the flavor just doesn't appeal to me and the idea of Sylvie going around with a bunch of masks on just feels wrong. Two, it's outdone by Chameleon if I'm going to go to that hassle. The second point is certainly arguable, though the first is a matter of opinion.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

You shouldn't have had her play dress up in her first appearance, then~  >_>