News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Outstanding. We'll adopt them.

Barring Cor posting later with a compelling argument against them, though as I recall he's neutral to favorable on both of these houserules anyway.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

I don't really have strong emotions either way, go for whichever you'd like.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Note to self: Add these to houserules officially tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Gestalt and the world: What's gestalt and what isn't.

This came up in PM so I'd like to clarify what my policy on what qualifies to be gestalt. Most things do for the sake of internal consistency; I dislike having just a few heroes having the benefit of gestalt and everyone else is normal. There are exceptions to this and they're noted here.

1. Creatures of 2 intelligence or lower. RAW they're too dumb to take class levels so they're fucked. Sometimes I'll use up some of the unused gestalt for templates, but generally they're not entitled to anything.
2. Summoned monsters, such as by summon monster, an outsider's summoning ability or whatever else. It's not practical to stop and stat up a gestalt summoned monster so they're SOL. Plus adding gestalt to summons fundamentally alters the power of those abilities.
3. Familiars, animal companions, or any other creature class features. Adding gestalt to them over complicates things as well as inflates the value of this class features.

Exceptions to the previous:

1. Creatures of 2 or less intelligence that gain an intelligence of 3 or higher. They don't instantly gain the new levels, but they'll develop them over time. This happens at a speed dictated by their new intelligence score.
2. Planar bindings and the like may bind a gestalt creature if you're familiar with one and bind that one in particular. By default it won't if you're just grabbing a random creature. Do bear in mind that binding and irritating a gestalt creature is twice as deadly as irritating a non gestalt one.

Gray areas:

1. Certain creatures who have full featured races/hit dice may not be gestalt at my discretion. Dragons are the worst offenders here, as well as certain outsiders like solars or arcanaloths. This falls into the nebulous territory of DM discretion and is amplified by the fact that many of these creatures are under CR-ed to begin with. I've been fucking with this behind the scenes and it's a messy issue, so we'll see.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

As a random 'don't have school, so I'm bored' project today, I went and tried to do the entire timeline for Cor's thread on that. Only hard date we had was the day of ascension, though Dune used a lot of "next day" and "in X days" references or gave pretty good date estimates that could be used in logs, though there were a couple of "a few days pass" (which I usually assumed to be two days, unless proven otherwise somewhere, just to keep us from going too far back into May). Going backwards/forwards from August 7th, it seems that we started on May 19th, 424 DK and Aaeru has been gone for at least a month in-game. Aaeru should come back all mellow and non-angry!

Also:
[00:06] <Kotono> INcidnetally could you work out the full moons and post them? Yuth was interested since his religion sees them as holy days. I gave him an answer but honestly it was just off the top of my head bullshit.
[00:06] <Merc> I specifically just calculated June 26 as a full moon date, based on Day of Ascension, and extrapolated the May one based on the first calendar I found (2010) that had June 26 as a full moon
[00:07] <Merc> http://moonphases.info/full_moon_calendar_dates.html
[00:07] * Kotono nods.
[00:07] <Merc> has the full moon dates for a number of years, so can just look there for the 2010 dates and 2011 dates if you want to translate those to year 424DK and 425DK
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Thanks!

Also accidentally edited your post, sorry. Fixed.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

It's been bugging me. I get why a sirine gets the ability to remove int damage done by another sirine, from a plot point. But since the damage is just like any other damage and is in no way different, it makes no sense to me that the int damage removal be restricted like that. Since you wanted me to post about it, Dune, just glance at this whenever?

Anastasia

Short version: Yeah sure, I'll go along with that.

Long version for the bored and the pedantic:

Spoiler: ShowHide
For reference:

Soothing Touch (Su)

As a standard action, the touch of a sirene can remove any intelligence damage caused by herself or another sirene.

Anyway, it makes sense to me. Why? A sirene has the antidote to it's own racial touch. This doesn't mean her touch is automatically a suitable antidote for other types of intelligence damage. It's like applying a cure for traumatic brain damage to someone suffering from Alzheimers. It's not going to work, despite both of them treating brain damage. This is easy to forget, since magic like Restoration cures ability damage regardless of the source.  In this case, it's like a miracle drug that magically(har) fixes the brain, no matter the trauma involved.

That being said, is this a point worth caring about? No, not really. You guys have a cleric with Orval, Sylvie can mimick a cleric if need be, and Yuria might grab Lesser Restoration later and gets Restoration as it is. So whatever.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

As a tangent I'm tempted to rework Adept some more since it's still pretty terrible, and the spell list has some strange holes.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 10, 2011, 02:13:17 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 10, 2011, 12:56:39 AM
strange holes.

Bwaha.

I try and make at least one bad sex joke or pun every time I post about Yuria. Makes life more interesting.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

If you don't like Adept so much, why not make her a sorc or favored soul or something?  >_>

Yuthirin

That really is a good point, and it would save a ton of time.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Because variety is the spice of life, and I like tinkering with things.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Yes, but if you had to choose between raspberry-flavored jelly beans and poop-flavored jelly beans, that's really not a good variety.