News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

Corrected AC and alignment. Will do more item trawling tonight.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on June 24, 2011, 03:27:24 AM
Corrected AC and alignment. Will do more item trawling tonight.

Sure thing. You have the level 8 starting GP, I presume?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

That's what I've assumed.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on June 24, 2011, 03:29:53 AM
That's what I've assumed.

No no, I mean do you have the value?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Dune, do you think you could move http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php?topic=101114.msg1020136#msg1020136 to the House Rules under a separate 'Combat' spoiler?

On the Neve feat front, smarter people than myself have listed Snowflake Wardance from Frostburn p50. It's a general feat, but like you said, you can move Weapon Finesse to MR2 and SW can go for the lvl3 feat slot (its prereqs are bardic music and perform/dance 6 ranks, which fits her lvl3). Seems to be a rage-lite, and would give her +13 to attack with the shortsword instead of the current +9 for like 20 rounds. Alternately, Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting p63) has similar prereqs and boosts the bonuses from bardic music by +1. A third feat option of Extra Music (for +4 more uses, also from Eberron Campaign Setting) would have been nice, but I think between Neve and Eb's new char there's plenty to go around? Also, in the last series of battles of attrition she had just enough bardic music uses, so she's probably good here.

Also, any thoughts on Healing Hymn from Complete Champion p47? It would apparently wreck Suggestion as that relies on Fascinate, but I don't really see that fit her much (part of that is that it inevitably leads to NPCs questioning NPCs during interrogations). And if we start traveling to other planes (such as to get Simmer or just to travel/do odds jobs), the planar handbook's bard ACFs (p29) might work well in replacing Suggestion with a useful ability. Nice chance to diverge from Eb's char, too.

Other notes... can you please list spells from non-SRD sources like Eb does [ie Improvisation (p 121 SpC)] on Neve's sheet? I know where my spells come from and what they do, but I would actually need to look up anything of hers when running her in combat, and it would save me a ton of time. Also, spell-wise, Inspirational Boost (Spell Compendium p123) nicely boosts Inspire Courage by 1, which Neve trails behind with.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 24, 2011, 03:30:14 AM
No no, I mean do you have the value?

Dungeon Master's Guide p136 in the pdf. Lvl8 starting gold is 27k.

Alternately, you may consult http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/8523-starting-gold-6th-level.html
Seems okay.

Ebiris

Cor has it right as starting gp goes.

Yuthirin

Swapped Toughness for Improved Critical (Longbow)
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 24, 2011, 07:05:36 AM
Dune, do you think you could move http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php?topic=101114.msg1020136#msg1020136 to the House Rules under a separate 'Combat' spoiler?

Done.

QuoteOn the Neve feat front, smarter people than myself have listed Snowflake Wardance from Frostburn p50. It's a general feat, but like you said, you can move Weapon Finesse to MR2 and SW can go for the lvl3 feat slot (its prereqs are bardic music and perform/dance 6 ranks, which fits her lvl3). Seems to be a rage-lite, and would give her +13 to attack with the shortsword instead of the current +9 for like 20 rounds. Alternately, Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting p63) has similar prereqs and boosts the bonuses from bardic music by +1. A third feat option of Extra Music (for +4 more uses, also from Eberron Campaign Setting) would have been nice, but I think between Neve and Eb's new char there's plenty to go around? Also, in the last series of battles of attrition she had just enough bardic music uses, so she's probably good here.

Extra Music isn't needed, this will resolve itself once she takes a few more bard levels.  Song of the Heart is very solid, as is Snowflake Wardance. I'd lean towards the former for her, as Neve shouldn't be getting into melee much.

QuoteAlso, any thoughts on Healing Hymn from Complete Champion p47? It would apparently wreck Suggestion as that relies on Fascinate, but I don't really see that fit her much (part of that is that it inevitably leads to NPCs questioning NPCs during interrogations). And if we start traveling to other planes (such as to get Simmer or just to travel/do odds jobs), the planar handbook's bard ACFs (p29) might work well in replacing Suggestion with a useful ability. Nice chance to diverge from Eb's char, too.

What exactly do abilities do? Gimme the gist of them.

QuoteOther notes... can you please list spells from non-SRD sources like Eb does [ie Improvisation (p 121 SpC)] on Neve's sheet? I know where my spells come from and what they do, but I would actually need to look up anything of hers when running her in combat, and it would save me a ton of time. Also, spell-wise, Inspirational Boost (Spell Compendium p123) nicely boosts Inspire Courage by 1, which Neve trails behind with.

I'll do that next time I'm under the hood with her, sure.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Sure thing. Essentially, Healing Hymn replaces Fascinate and gives you a Bardic Music usage that gives a +1 sacred bonus per point of your Perform rank to any healing spell being cast. That really supercharges any healing spells (but only spells, not wands and the like). It also lets you and your allies recover twice your level instead of just once if you use it before going to bed, again via a use of Bardic Music. I personally think it's cooler than rolling that wand of CLWs ten times.

Of course, no Fascinate means no Suggestion and no Mass Suggestion. Therefore, there are several ACFs for them as well. For example, the aforementioned Planar ACF that replaces Suggestion allows the bard to redirect an inter-planar portal to another portal the bard had been through within the last month. That could be handy, and there could be other ACFs, too.

The martial aspect is really just a backup, but with a tantalizing Echoblade right there I figured she should have a way to actually hit with it if the situation is so dire she has to defend herself. The Song feat can always replace Dodge if it's key to get it now. Her AC can easily be decent with armor, and she'll probably have enough cash for one now. Thoughts?

Corwin

If my familiar takes the VoP to fit mine, are the benefits calculated based off original creature HD or off mine like with all effects?

Aerie are essentially ported from this, right? http://hastur.net/wiki/Aerie_%28D%26D_creatures%29

They have two writeups for SLAs:

Spell-Like Abilities
Am aerie can use the following spell-like abilities at will: dancing lights, detect good, detect evil, detect magic, electric jolt, and faerie fire. A aerie can use detect thoughts (DC 12 + Cha bonus), glitterdust (DC 12 + Cha bonus), and dispel magic, once per day each. It uses these spell-like abilities as a level 3 sorcerer.

And:
Lesser Aerie Powers (Sp): A aerie can use each of the following spell-like abilities once per day per race level: dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, detect magic, electric jolt, faerie fire, and invisibility (self only). Its caster level for all spell-like abilities is equal to its race level. At level 3, the aerie can use these powers at will.
Major Aerie Powers (Sp): Beginning at 2nd level, a aerie can use detect thoughts (DC 12 + Cha bonus), glitterdust (DC 12 + Cha bonus), and dispel magic, once per day each.

One has invis/self only, the other doesn't, and neither does the version on the forum under Halls. Was cutting it out a design decision, or due to the above inconsistency? I wanted to be certain before applying final touches.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 24, 2011, 05:26:31 PM
Sure thing. Essentially, Healing Hymn replaces Fascinate and gives you a Bardic Music usage that gives a +1 sacred bonus per point of your Perform rank to any healing spell being cast. That really supercharges any healing spells (but only spells, not wands and the like). It also lets you and your allies recover twice your level instead of just once if you use it before going to bed, again via a use of Bardic Music. I personally think it's cooler than rolling that wand of CLWs ten times.

That's fine, Andrea used it.

QuoteOf course, no Fascinate means no Suggestion and no Mass Suggestion. Therefore, there are several ACFs for them as well. For example, the aforementioned Planar ACF that replaces Suggestion allows the bard to redirect an inter-planar portal to another portal the bard had been through within the last month. That could be handy, and there could be other ACFs, too.

By all means, look at 'em and get your cards in order.

QuoteThe martial aspect is really just a backup, but with a tantalizing Echoblade right there I figured she should have a way to actually hit with it if the situation is so dire she has to defend herself. The Song feat can always replace Dodge if it's key to get it now. Her AC can easily be decent with armor, and she'll probably have enough cash for one now. Thoughts?

The Crystal Echoblade is tempting, no two ways about it. I think the real question is if she's worth risking on the front lines or should be entirely defense oriented.

[/quote]
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

-Neve's defense kinda sucks at present and can only be fixed with gear, so she's defense-oriented only in the sense that she stays back and hopes no one appears behind the party like Senaril did in the last fight. Having a reliable contingency would be a nice idea, I think. It's not like she has to go and stab things if she does have one. But if something forces her hand, she actually has one to play.

-She doesn't qualify for Suggestion yet so it's a non-issue for the time being. Healing Hymn would be very useful from the onset, though!

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 24, 2011, 05:52:39 PMIf my familiar takes the VoP to fit mine, are the benefits calculated based off original creature HD or off mine like with all effects?

RAW it would use your hit dice to determine it's effects. It's also not likely unless it gets to 3 HD, as it has only one feat and VoP has a prerequisite.  The two other feats are bonus feats and can't be retrained.

I have no idea how it would look balance-wise, but it strikes my DM senses as cheese.

QuoteAerie are essentially ported from this, right? http://hastur.net/wiki/Aerie_%28D%26D_creatures%29

They have two writeups for SLAs: (Snip)

One has invis/self only, the other doesn't, and neither does the version on the forum under Halls. Was cutting it out a design decision, or due to the above inconsistency? I wanted to be certain before applying final touches.

The Halls of the Vanquished version takes priority. What you're quoting has to do with a a savage progression for an Aerie, which isn't relevant to this.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 24, 2011, 07:35:14 PM
-Neve's defense kinda sucks at present and can only be fixed with gear, so she's defense-oriented only in the sense that she stays back and hopes no one appears behind the party like Senaril did in the last fight. Having a reliable contingency would be a nice idea, I think. It's not like she has to go and stab things if she does have one. But if something forces her hand, she actually has one to play.

True. On the other hand the Echoblade costs money, money that could be used in other ways. My opinion wavers some depending on how much she ends up getting from loot division.

Quote-She doesn't qualify for Suggestion yet so it's a non-issue for the time being. Healing Hymn would be very useful from the onset, though!

Oh yes, it's a good ACF.
<Afina> Forever.