News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on June 26, 2011, 01:20:34 AM
I agree with Eb by and large here, but I think you also hit a point dead on. It's a lot of fun to have more options in battle. Perhaps a better house rule would be that eating an AoO on bullrush, grapple or other things doesn't stop the action if it succeeds?

Reposting this. Any more thoughts before I make it official?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Go for it, I don't really have anything to add on it.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ebiris

Just noticed elves get elven and common as languages, so I get one more bonus language. Took draconic.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on June 24, 2011, 07:05:36 AM
Also, any thoughts on Healing Hymn from Complete Champion p47? It would apparently wreck Suggestion as that relies on Fascinate, but I don't really see that fit her much (part of that is that it inevitably leads to NPCs questioning NPCs during interrogations). And if we start traveling to other planes (such as to get Simmer or just to travel/do odds jobs), the planar handbook's bard ACFs (p29) might work well in replacing Suggestion with a useful ability. Nice chance to diverge from Eb's char, too.

Other notes... can you please list spells from non-SRD sources like Eb does [ie Improvisation (p 121 SpC)] on Neve's sheet? I know where my spells come from and what they do, but I would actually need to look up anything of hers when running her in combat, and it would save me a ton of time. Also, spell-wise, Inspirational Boost (Spell Compendium p123) nicely boosts Inspire Courage by 1, which Neve trails behind with.

You asked me to repost this as a reminder, so here it is again.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Merc

Since I apparently forgot house stuff and never posted anything, and too lazy to really think of something fancy at this point, Whurric would like something with one story + stone basement. House should be on the smallish side of things, though I'd like some property space, maybe something with a small pond or just something decorative to make it stand out a little, in the Western Reaches.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 24, 2011, 07:05:36 AM
Also, any thoughts on Healing Hymn from Complete Champion p47? It would apparently wreck Suggestion as that relies on Fascinate, but I don't really see that fit her much (part of that is that it inevitably leads to NPCs questioning NPCs during interrogations). And if we start traveling to other planes (such as to get Simmer or just to travel/do odds jobs), the planar handbook's bard ACFs (p29) might work well in replacing Suggestion with a useful ability. Nice chance to diverge from Eb's char, too.

Healing Hymn added. I'll worry about suggestion substitutions when she gains her sixth bard level. That should be in two levels now that she's finishes Sirene Paragon.

QuoteOther notes... can you please list spells from non-SRD sources like Eb does [ie Improvisation (p 121 SpC)] on Neve's sheet? I know where my spells come from and what they do, but I would actually need to look up anything of hers when running her in combat, and it would save me a ton of time. Also, spell-wise, Inspirational Boost (Spell Compendium p123) nicely boosts Inspire Courage by 1, which Neve trails behind with.

Done.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'm curious what the epic chars have done in the last few years. The only criteria are that it's awesome and that it was active (ie they actually did it rather than have something happen to them or just being there).

You said it's K:L and a basic DC of 10 would give some stuff. I have +4 to the check, and I figure either with SONG or Heroism I can make DC15 by taking ten here. So on the mathy side, I'd be interested in the DC15 results for this question, please.

Anastasia

Could you specify what you mean by epic characters? Narrow the field down a little - to Crimson Guard, servants of Helm, people who wear purple armor, whatever. I need something in IC terms to work with.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I was referring to the epic chars you were posting. You could stick to those who are NPCs and are in/spend enough time in Balmuria, since it's K:L and that presumably wouldn't work on Zaaman Rul?

Corwin

On the IC side, we sometimes see these uber people and Janson even gets seduced by their epic sexiness so I'm curious what they've done. If people appreciate them, is it because they're just insanely powerful or because they're resting on their laurels, or have they actually done anything in the last few years to earn that? It would also be a decent guideline of what we could do for the city some day.

Anastasia

Okay.

QuoteJanson even gets seduced by their epic sexiness

Hey, super high charisma does strange things to people! <_< Overwhelming force of personality and magnetism draws people to you. It's not that he's an epic character, but that he has a superhuman charisma. To a normal person that isn't used to dealing with that sort of force, it's enthralling and possibly overwhelming. For other epic characters he's not so overwhelming. I don't do this too often, since I don't want to fall into Elminster syndrome with them. It's fun for them to show up occasionally, but not to come in and dominate things since they're super awesome high level. But I digress. It's an interesting digression, but still a digression.

What you're asking is really a segmented question rather than a blanket reply. Most of Balmuria is focused on the Crimson Guard. While almost everyone was a member or still technically is, these days it's said to be lead by Commander Hellman Oberuth. Well, still is, anyway. He's lead it and de facto the entire city of Balmuria since the independence war. He keeps a lower profile these days as he's getting up there in the years. Despite that he's still seen as a city hero, something of a legend that's endured countless battles.

Argh, again I disgress. The Crimson Guard hasn't had as many overt actions as it had in it's youth. With Malmuth a memory and most local threats tamed, befriended or neutralized, big and obvious events aren't as common. The mythal stops several types of shenanigans in the city by itself, though rumors of farther afield missions are common. Right now the current rumors are buzzing with a new war between Kelara and Nodlitz in the far west, and that various members of the Crimson Guard are involved. At least that's the rumor, though who's involved varies from tale to tale. Other stories puts them in Malmuth, in Pallanth, farther east in the whispered lands past the Amaryl Ranges, to the south in the Southern Confederacy and more.

The names always vary. Eudard, Abagail, Oberuth, those names and others.

Of the Crimson Guard below him are several other famous members. High Watchman Eudard was a compatriot of Demedais the Prophet and fought at his side several times. Since then he's been at the forefront of the Crimson Guard. He participated in the Pines War, defeating several forest giants singlehandedly and repelling an assault from the forest giant chieftain. He keeps a presence in the city, directing Helm's church and taking an active role in the world around him. He often guides promising heroes  - interestingly this would ping on Aaeru's radar, as the High Watchman of Helm is the one who talked to Lyris and Neveril.

Abagail Aryn you've also met recently. She's known as a powerful archmage and a disciple of Seira Aryn. Besides her own participation in the Pines War, it's known that she confronted the pit fiend Baalbal, banishing it back to Baator in a dawnbreak battle over Victoria. This was approximately three years ago. Stories tell a tale of corruption, a vile monster trying to corrupt and destroy the government of the Baronies before being exposed and ultimately defeated. Beyond that she keeps a presence in the city, having a few students and often teaching lawful magic to those with the potential to learn. Indeed, it's known she has ties to Mechanus and stories say she can summon and command Inevitables, the clockwork soldiers of Mechanus.

The people do genuinely appreciate them. Most adults are old enough to remember Kondrux or the Night of the Walking Dead, so appreciation comes easily. Every so often something big and attention getting becomes a big story and sends people talking again. Of course, less obvious things are the meat and drink of rumor, and perhaps some of them are true.

QuoteIt would also be a decent guideline of what we could do for the city some day.

Feeling civic-minded? There's some hooks floating about if you're interested in pursuing that - Cran's offer is the most obvious. It's not terribly subtle that you guys are building a reputation and have gotten some publicity. What are you all going to do with it?

---

I excluded Seira and Alicia from this. As deities they speak for themselves and aren't really a part of the proper Guard any more. Antenora, Latha, Donald and Amaryl are more connected to their respective patrons than the Crimson Guard. Still, some basic details following.

Antenora: Her name is known as a servant of Alicia's. According to the doctrine of Alicia's faith, she is an erinyes who was redeemed by Saint Alicia's wisdom and charisma. It's known she walked the world with Alicia and left when she ascended. It is said she is an angel of opal who serves her Goddess even now. Nothing current there. All this is dated.

Latha: About the same as Antenora as far as being with Alicia and serving, then leaving. Details are a bit sketchier here.

Donald: Oh, Donald's known. He comes back to Balmuria every so often. While not a hugely official part of the Guard he's had his battles. He's known to have a mouth that gets him in trouble, and a knack at solving trouble with strength of might.

Amaryl: A powerful elf maiden who is a peerless archer. She's known as much for leaving her position as Scion of House Gaial as much as anything else - it's a sore political point in Pallanth yet. Stories from the west are fairly consistent, that she defeated some sort of desert dragon in the southern wastes of the Fiefdoms.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Merc: You can get a house to your specifications for 700 marks.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Done. And updated sheet balance. Do we have christmas in Balmuria? I almost have enough to buy Yuria a christmas present! Or do I wait on her birthday after all? =p

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on July 30, 2011, 01:36:21 AM
Done. And updated sheet balance. Do we have christmas in Balmuria? I almost have enough to buy Yuria a christmas present! Or do I wait on her birthday after all? =p

Huh. I have an entire segment written up about Balmurian holidays, but I never thought to post it in world fluff. Whoops! I'll post it in a bit.
<Afina> Forever.