News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Code Geass: Kallen of the Revolution II

Started by Corwin, October 14, 2010, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

<--->

Tensions have risen to a high Kallen had not seen since the war. Curiously, those at the helm on both sides have issued non-statements at most. The Japan Liberation Front decried what they called the barbaric and unprecedented attack on civillians in Akihabara, managing to blame both the Britannian military and the Saitama group equally for the atrocity. Despite that, what seemed like the next logical step of excommunicating the Black Queen never took place, muddying the waters. In the same vein, no official show of support or, indeed, any kind of communication indicating how the separate cells should treat Saitama had emerged.

On the Britannian side, the response was even meeker. Clovis has yet to do anything but issue inflammatory statements; it is being whispered through rumor, more and more insistently, that behind closed doors he is far more decisive, and that it translates to overruling his military advisors when they demand to take action against the terrorists.

That would need to be dealt with, and soon. But for now, Kallen prepares for her first ever board meeting with the men and women standing at the helm of the Stadtfeld Group.

Before knowing thy enemy, she reflects, you must first know thyself. Not for the first time, Kallen wonders if she's being hypocritical in her desire to milk her name for all it's worth- and like all the previous times, it doesn't take long for her to set it aside.

"Have the members of the board arrived, Hisui?" she queries, turning to the maid who, for all intents and purposes, is now her personal secretary.

Hisui is quiet and discreet, which suits Kallen's purposes just fine, and not actually all that business-inclined or particularly good with people, which doesn't. "They are waiting for you, Miss," the maid-turned-secretary responds with a bow.

That must mean that the board has assembled, and Kallen can stop wasting time hanging around her father's office to put pressure on them by her absense.

Kallen finally departs the office and enters the boardroom with brisk steps. The suit was especially tailored; most noblewomen favour dresses and whatever the fashion industry has produced this year, but Kallen is projecting efficiency, competence, and even impatience. The dark jacket and pants are unadorned with labels; it's rather gauche to display her crest when everyone present should know who she is. Confident that she manages to look older than she is, she glances around the room as she takes her place at the head of the table.

Kallen succeeds in her task. None of the five people waiting for her in the boardroom look amused to see her, or otherwise find her out of place. The only thing can't quite leave behind, it seems, is the air of a frail, somewhat pampered Britannian noble that she had spent so long to cultivate.

The five on the board of directors for the Stadtfeld Group are Britannian, as expected. One, Alicia Reynolds, is a woman, and like Kallen she eschewed a dress for a business suit for this meeting. The youngest of the five, she is in her early thirties. If she hadn't read her profile, Kallen might be tempted to consider that the beautiful blonde slept her way into her position, but her father would have never allowed their legal defense to rest in the hands of an incompetent.

Jared Hallstrom, head of acquisitions, is seated to Alicia's left. At forty, he is already balding, a fact that does nothing to his mundane features. His name is one she had been familiar with even before her recent interest in the family business; he had advised her father on the negotiations with the Holy Land Foundation, doing quite a bit of the prep work in that relationship. Jared looks uncomfortable at first glance, but Kallen establishes with a longer look that he is merely so tired, both physically and especially mentally, that it shows.

Next to him is Samuel West the Third. Kallen's files on him indicate that his family's fate had been tied with her own financially since before the time of the first Samuel West, dating almost to the point where the Stadtfeld fortunes soared. The records of those early days are hardly complete, regrettably. A rather tall, aristocratic-looking man in his late thirties, he is in charge of public relations and marketing.

Research and Development is headed by Doctor Harlan Granger. He holds a PhD in the fields of finance, mathematics and physics, and has been often been said to claim they are all interconnected. His involvement with the main group seems tenuous at first, but Kallen's own research into the board and the running of the Stadtfeld Group had shown that he is in charge of an umbrella of several technological endeavors the Stadtfeld Group has controlling shares in. His hair is already graying; he is the oldest, with an age somewhere in the sixties. He refuses to divulge the real number, apparently, even to his closest friends, and any records have been mysteriously wiped clean of the exact date.

Rounding out the board, and seated on Alicia's right, is Michael Boon. Officially, he is the head of production. Unofficially, a fact anyone here must be acutely aware of, he happens to deal with research of a different kind than Harlan. Calling it industrial espionage would be crude, but present an accurate portrayal of his field of expertise.

"Good morning to all," opens Kallen, taking her seat. "We will be here for some time, so please, get comfortable, because I need you to bring me up to speed. It is regrettable that the Baron remains incapcitated during this period- a critical time of great risk and great reward. The investments and deals we make at this juncture will, I believe, shape our future more directly than ever before in the history of Area 11." She pauses to clasp her hands on top of the table.

"Such is the nature of existing during a period that might as well be considered war, no matter what the pundits are saying. Mr. Hallstrom, I'd like you to begin with a summary of our current major holdings, including the Holy Grail Foundation, and what is being considered for investment in the future."

She turns her gaze to Hallstrom's eyes, attempting to poison him with enthusiasm. A board member who would rather be sleeping is not the kind she wants to deal with. One way or the other, some degree of excitement will be needed in this committee.

Kallen gets nods at her greeting from across the boardroom table, as well as focused attentiveness.

As she speaks to Jared, he startles, even as the other four board members give first him and then Kallen measuring looks. "Ah, I'm afraid you are mistaken, Miss Stadtfeld," he says. "The Stadtfeld Group does not possess any shares or the like in the Holy Grail Foundation. Should I proceed with the Group's major holdings, as requested?"

"Please."

The looks of interest persist, but no one speaks out of turn.

Jared clears his throat, picking up a tablet laid before him and tapping it a few times, making a scrolling motion in the end. "The Stadtfeld Group has controlling shares in several fields, as per our attempts to diversify our repertoir and increase our resiliency in case of a crisis with one of the areas we are investing in. Miwa Foods serves as a front for our agricultural pursuits; it has been determined that the Elevens would find the name more authentic and purchase our products, while it lacks any controversial content, and can be marketed to the Britannian markets as exotic. Indeed, abroad, the products are being distributed by Miwa Exotic Delicacies, a subsidiary of Miwa Foods. We own stock and have other ways of controlling several of the competing companies, and use this relationship to help coordinate pricing and maximize profits, while edging out the true competition."

He pauses. "Stadtfeld Aerodynamics and Stresseman Motors are the technological jewels in the Stadtfeld Group's crown. The former mainly performs research and largely stays out of the public's eye, while the latter is very popular in the African Areas. We are continuing our efforts of increasing our market share elsewhere, naturally. Another venture which has proved itself to be successful beyond any measure or expectation is the Shop-s-Mart chain, which we have sponsored and helped take off the ground. I believe you would be familiar with that one, Miss Stadtfeld?"

It's hard to escape a grimace at the thought. Everyone loves to hate the shopping complexes that seem to spring up everywhere, yet Kallen is certain that they would be the first place most people would go to if they needed any decently-priced daily life items.

"Yes, quite," replies Kallen, with a wry snort. "Has Stresseman Motors acquired a foothold here? If not, why not?"

Jared glances at Samuel, who takes it as his cue to speak. "The provisional governor's office has cited special security concerns as the reason for ensuring the monopoly granted Ford is maintained for the foreseeable future, Miss Stadtfeld."

"They don't have much of a ground to stand on," Alicia adds, "as far as the law is concerned. However, going against Governor Clovis publically in court and embarrassing him in this fashion is certain to backfire, and any immediate gains we make would be offset terribly in the mid-to-long range."

"Do these security concerns spread to other industries?" asks Kallen, addressing Alicia. "Or is this legislation exclusive to automobiles? For that matter- who else is in or wants to be in the car business?"

"The Chinese, despite the punishing tariffs," Alicia responds leisurely. "We do not believe them to be a serious concern, regardless of their enthusiasm. For all of it, the Chinese fail to account for the mindset of Britannian customers, and their brand would never truly take off here. From home, we also have to contend with General Motors, who have adopted the same approach as we did of 'wait and see'." She makes air quotes with her fingers. "Another avenue of concern is the Six, but we do not believe the chances of them receiving a permit to operate in this field are very likely."

"These so-called security concerns apply wherever the Governor decides they do, Miss Stadtfeld," Michael speaks up, addressing Kallen's first question. "At present, that includes the automobile industry, computer technology, sakuradite mining and refining and, lastly, any directly military technologies."

"Who or what are the Six? I assume we're not talking about the knight," asks Kallen, curiously.

Alicia's lips quirk into a smile. "No, not the Knight. It's common use... slang, I suppose. A term for the six wealthiest families native to this Area that decided to cooperate with Britannia. As a result, I believe they receive quite a few tax breaks, as well as the license to mine Sakuradite, among other things. Effectively, one might say the micro-management of Eleven-held industry goes through them, as they are its public face."

"Do they operate as a conglomerate, or as individuals? That is, do the actions one take reflect on all, as far as the press and the governor are concerned?"

"That would be a fair assessment," Samuel confirms.

Even as she asks the question, however, Kallen is finding she has to struggle not to let her disgust towards that group of traitors show.

"Alright. The other restricted material, computers and military R&D. Who holds monopolies on them?"

"The Crown is effectively handling the remainder of the Sakuradite mining and all of the refinery process," Michael informs Kallen. "The company names used for public consumption don't matter. Computer technology and combat frames alike are being handled by Dallas Labs Incorporated, which might well amount to the same thing."

The other board members shift uncomfortably at that.

Kallen leans back in her chair. It rocks, slightly, creaking and showing it's age. "If, hypothetically, one of the Six were to, in fact, take to court the restrictions on automotive production, what are the likely outcomes, with respect to both their and our fortunes?"

Michael, Samuel and Alicia exchange glances, before the latter is silently chosen to respond. "Eleven rights are a joke, even if they happen to be wealthy, Honorary Britannians or both. There will be fireworks, and anyone involved will get burned."

"I see. I view this particular case as a weapon," states Kallen, glancing across the board members. "

"One that is best handled by a party otherwise unassociated with us. You see, shortly before his unfortunate stroke, Stanley spoke to me of his plans for the future. It was his desire to bring the Stadtfeld's to the very top of the heirarchy here- that is, to the governor's office. It is an ambition that I share," states Kallen, bringing her gaze to each member of the board in turn, infecting them with conviction of the necessity of this course of action.

"A public feud between the crown and a major stakeholder in the Area is just the sort of conflict that would create countless openings for advancement- that is, to those who keep a safe distance from the conflagration. But not too far back, if they wish to pick up the pieces, whether those pieces be sakuradite, cars, or what have you."

Holding their gazes long enough to instill her feelings into the board members is no easy task, but Kallen's speech helps a lot towards that goal. Each straightens up perceptively after the fact.

"Entering into the Sakuradite scene would be difficult for us," Doctor Granger speaks for the first time that meeting. "It is, in many ways, restricted technology. Our rivals would be years ahead of us, and catching up quickly enough to make a difference would be a costly gambit."

"But one we could afford, perhaps," Jared suggests. "The rewards are more than worth it."

"It is impossible to predict how the entrenched players would react to the emergence of a new one cornering their previously-exclusive market," Michael notes, not presenting an opinion either way.

Alicia frowns, tapping her left hand against her lips in thought. "An ambitious drive, but not entirely without precedent," she comments, referring to the other part of Kallen's speech. "And how entirely like the Baron to aim for it."

"Dr. Granger, you raise an interesting point," notes Kallen. "Certainly it would be costly without the proper expertise. However, I happen to be good friends with one Milly Ashford, scion of a particular family that dwindled away those years ago. A family that still retains scientific contacts in fields dropped for almost a decade. I don't propose we play catch-up with the existing corporations, but move along entirely new routes.

"As for aiming for governor- there are two ways to be awarded the position. The first is to have it assigned to you, as is so common amongst the young princes and princesses, new to their power. The second is to already be in control, and have the title as a mere formality."

"Miss Stadtfeld," Michael asks, sounding rather direct, perhaps on the verge of bluntness, "do you know exactly what it is that you propose here?"

"I'm saying," replies Kallen, quite slowly- "That our goal is to corner this area, and we will be treading on some very regal toes along the way."

"Ah, yes," he continues delicately. "If the mess with the courts is, say, throwing a pie into Prince Clovis's face, then working together with the Ashfords in the open is akin to punching him in his royal eye. Their exile might not be official, but it might as well be."

"It's not necessarily holding open relations with the family I intend," replies Kallen, shaking her head, and gazing at Michael. "More the headhunting of key personel, to be ensconced within a laboratory, rarely to show their faces in public. There is also the possibility of offshore development, if a respectable distance must be kept."

Uneasy looks are once again exchanged between the board members. This time, it is Alicia who speaks. "Miss Stadtfeld, that last part sounds disturbingly like a suggestion to outsource restricted and military technology. Given the political makeup of the world and the nature of the Ashford isolation, that could only go to the Europeans or the Chinese. While either would be happy to cooperate, it is a move that would constitute high treason in any court, should it be detected. It would be ill-advisable to say things that would imply such outsuch of forums such as this one."

"Head-hunting might be a good idea," Harlan says next, steering conversation back on track. "In particular if we make everyone believe that it is genuine, while in reality, the Ashfords cooperate fully."

The other board members stir yet again, but the looks are contemplative, now.

"Well, I should thank you for steering me back to the straight and narrow," replies Kallen, not sounding terribly bashful. "I can guarantee the Ashford's cooperation in this regard. The key question, it seems to me, will be one of timing."

"How so?" Samuel inquires.

"When would the best time to have the case brought against Clovis? We will be working through a proxy and ourselves be relatively safe, but we would want to create a situation where we are poised to snap up whatever production rights we can. How can we stack the deck in our favour?"

"Legally?" Alicia asks, studying Kallen.

"Let me put it this way. If the good Baron would do it, I'm listening."

The only visible reaction is the climbing of Alicia's eyebrows. "Very well, Miss Stadtfeld," she responds. "We need to truly distance ourselves, and not just have an appearance of distance. Therefore, we couldn't interfere directly into the legal process. However, we could and should become involved in the court of public opinion. Through proxies, naturally, and anonymous dispatches through disposable agents who could, in turn, take a fall for the Group if they are tracked down. At the same time, relying on the principle of parallel evolution so prevailent in hard sciences, we will be working on just the right kind of technology the market would be opened to. Naturally, we would need to know about the technology in question to better tailor our own to fill in the void that will appear."

She very studiously does not look at Michael, though a couple others sneak a glance at that.

"The real question remaining, however, is how to cause those who sold their own country for profit to fall on their sword and give all that up," she concludes rather bluntly.

"They need a push," agrees Kallen, glancing around the board. "An incentive. And I believe I know of a sword that every eleven-turned-honorary feels is hanging over them. You see, the funny thing about anonymous pseudonyms- if nobody knows who you are, then it's impossible to verify whether a message is truly from the original. Or in this case, a threat."

Alicia indicates for Kallen to proceed, listening attentively. None of the others interject.

"This Black Queen calls mere honorary britannians- elevens who signed a form merely so they could earn a living- traitors. How much more ire would she have for those who intentionally sold out their country? If she threatened them, how high could she make them jump? Would they risk her wrath, or dare to oppose the crown? The right words, the right person, the right timing..." Kallen spreads her hands.

There is a strangled, hysterical burst of laughter. It comes from Jared, who quickly gets it under control. Rather than looking embarrassed, he seems mortified.

The other four are merely pale.

"If we are too convincing, Governor Clovis or the army may just use us as a scape goat," Michael notes calmly, though he looks slightly queasy. "They might not even bother with any legal process or other niceties. If we're not convincing enough and it traces back to us, the Six will sue. Between that and the public backlash...." He trails off.

"Finding the right sort of balance would be difficult," Samuel notes, his voice shaking.

"Fraud, identity theft, you name it," Alicia chimes in with. "There'd be plenty of legal options against every single one of us, and the Group as a whole, however the dice fall. It's a do or die proposition."

<--->
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

<--->

"Then what? It may be possible to convince them through normal means. But that leaves an obvious trail back to us. No, this is a period where audacity would be rewarded," insists Kallen. "All parties are confused at the current time. You speak of what would occur if we are caught- we won't be caught through the threat. It need not be elaborate, nothing a common man with the ability to send mail couldn't do. Simplicity itself."

"The elevens- the six- what have you- they wouldn't risk ignoring a threat. The crown wouldn't look harder for an excuse to do what it has always done. Our rivals our discredited, opportunities are open-" She starts ticking off points on her fingers. "And we would hardly be the only ones. The other groups and foundations would seek their piece of the pie as well. We'd simply be the best prepared. Which is what I rely on all of you for."

All the while, she communicates enthusiasm through her Geass, a desire to make this work. The chance is here to wrest economic might away from the fake Japanese to the fake Britannian, to her, where it could be put to real use

Kallen cannot make eye contact with Jared, who seems to be studying the data on his tablet as if his life depended on it.

Harlan looks away after the briefest of glances. "Are we the best prepared?" he asks her. "We can use this period, as you've said. Perhaps you're even right about the ease with which we'll get away with it; it's not my expertise. But we aren't ready. We could be, just as we've discussed, despite what other risks that might carry, but adjusting to brand new avenues like these, especially since we're talking cutting edge, restricted-use technology, is all but impossible in the near future. We will need weeks alone to properly integrate our new staff, study the data and prepare the facilities. I estimate that month of actual development will follow, and that is before we even enter the testing stage. To have anything market-ready in place, we would need time. Is this period of uncertainty and unrest here to stay with us through that time?"

The other three indeed seem enthusiastic, if still pale. They await Kallen's response, however, not pitching in just yet.

"True. Things could change. The nemeses of the day could be arrested, or killed, or simply vanish. Or who knows? Perhaps she could be more successful than any of us would like," notes Kallen, steepling her hands. "Area 11 is not the most stable of territories. Let's consider another view. The heart of any argument would be over that most common technology, the car. The Crown will probably give up that to save face, whatever happens to the elevens.

"The Sakuradite they hold would go into production limbo. Who would gain access to it? Would it happen immediately? What other group could be prepared to take charge immediately? We don't need to have everything in place at the earliest point, only before anyone else can get their things together."

"So what we are really talking about, here," Samuel says, licking his lips in anxiousness, "is that it is enough to deal a crippling blow to our would-be competitors, to sabotage their efforts. Even if we can't immediately utilize on their weakness, Sakuradite is a key export and the Crown would not see it kindly if its flow were to stop, particularly given that it is widely-accepted as the reason for the conquest of Area Eleven."

Michael nods. "And some of their best and brightest might read between the lines and jump ship, and in that aspect, at least, we truly would be best placed to take advantage of things."

"How soon can you identify our key competitors?"

"Two days should be sufficient to write an exhaustive report," Michael responds. "Are you interested in them across the board, Miss Stadtfeld, or in more specific areas?"

"Scandals, Mr. Boon. Who is sleeping with who? Who is selling drugs to schoolkids? Who is playing ball with the mafia? Who is mistreating their eleven workers? I want stuff that'll make the bleeding hearts run dry," replies Kallen. "Aside from that, use your discretion. We'll wait on taking action for just now."

"If all the leading players but us suddenly get attacked viciously in the court of public opinion," Alicia notes casually, though she's looking at Kallen intently as she speaks, "some of them might get a clue. Do we really want to open the door and invite retaliation, Miss Stadtfeld?"

Kallen gets the sense that this is somehow very important to the older woman.

"If all the leading players except us get attacked in any arena, it would invite reprisals," notes Kallen, glancing back at Alicia. "I understand your concern," she adds, turning back to Michael. "We don't need to go after everyone, only the people who could push in front of us. And I don't mind sharing a little, if it comes to that."

She taps the desk. "When is the international sakuradite conference?"

"That might be a good opportunity," Samuel picks up. "There are still two months until the big-name players gather in Dallas. Arranged just right, those who stand in our way in Area Eleven could suffer from unpresedented negative publicity due to the worldwide exposure the event provides."

"Very good. As I said, we won't arrange to deal with all of them before the date, if that's even within our means. We must put up a strong debate for the sake of integrity," notes Kallen. "Good. Harlan, I will put forward referrals from the Ashfords to you. Boon, West, your tasks are evident. Jared, are you listening?"

Michael and Samuel nod in acceptance of said tasks, while Harlan opts for a more respectful bow from his sitting position.

Jared startles, looking up as the tablet clatters to the desk. "Of course!" he exclaims. "What is it, Miss Stadtfeld?"

"This is ultimately about acquisitions, that is, your field," she notes, turning her gaze on the man and studying him intently. "This is the point where I ask if you have any concerns or questions, I think."

"None, Miss Stadtfeld," he says, keeping his voice so calm that if it weren't for his earlier outbursts Kallen might be tempted to believe it.

He is lying. There is something Jared worries about quite a great deal, enough for that to eclipse all other concerns.

"Hisui, please fetch Jared's tablet for me," she states, her voice flat.

Confusion seems to dominate the emotions of those present as Hisui wordlessly steps from her position several steps behind Kallen and to the side, and goes around the large oval desk to do so. Kallen's geass allows for more; dismay is hidden beneath the surface with Michael and Alicia.

"Excuse me?" Jared asks in confusion, even as he hands the device to Hisui.

"I'm sorry. I'm merely curious as to what absorbed your attention during our discussion," she notes, leaning back. "Does anyone have any other business for this meeting?"

"Not as such," Michael speaks. "However, I have a broader question. There has been a void ever since your father fell ill, Miss Stadtfeld. Does this mean you are prepared to step in to fill it, at least as far as these meetings are concerned? They were a usual, weekly fixture before."

"Is that so? I can't decide that right now, I'm afraid," replies Kallen, with a frown. "Let's meet again next week at the same time and decide then."

"Mondays would be better," Alicia notes. "The better to set the tone for the week. If you are worried over problems with the school, Miss Stadtfeld, I would be happy to assist in that avenue."

"Monday it is. I'll talk school over with you shortly, in fact." replies Kallen, with a brief glance at Hisui following.

Hisui presents the tablet to Kallen. It's open to a listing the Group's major holdings.

Kallen sets it down nearby. "If there's nothing else, then the meeting is adjourned," she says, standing up from her chair. "Don't hesitate to contact me should an unforseen obstacle or other issue arise. I assure you, we can take this Group to the very top, and when father recovers, he will find it in better shape than he left it."

As the others stand up to leave, she glances at Alicia. "Would you mind if I kept you a few minutes?" she asks, quietly.

A casual look over the board brings to light a curious situation; Alicia wishes to see her in a more private setting. That much is clear even without geass from the way she lingers on after being dismissed, or the nod she gives when Kallen asks her.

Surprisingly, so does Jared, although in his case the signs are nowhere nearly as clear.

Kallen's phone vibrates in her pocket, a certain sign of receiving mail.

"Excuse me a second," she says, pulling out her phone and checking the message.

Jared hesitates, and with a glance at Alicia who makes no move to leave just yet, departs.

Kallen's message is from a number she doesn't recognize offhand. It reads, "Couldn't get through on the other line. There's been some news. Call back." The message is signed with 'Inoue'.

"Jared. You forgot your tablet," notes Kallen, shoving the phone back in her pocket and picking up the tablet. "I need to talk some things over with you, but it'll have to wait for a later time," she adds, drawing closer to him. If he looks at her, she can at least put a little trust in him. Just like she did with Milly. Just to be sure.

For all the power that Geass grants her, she can't help but wonder if she's becoming more paranoid- no, she definately is.

Kallen catches up to Jared just outside the boardroom. He accepts the proffered portable computer, looking down at it quizzically, before raising his eyes to Kallen's face as she mentions needing to talk to him. Something within him changes, shifting gear, Kallen can instantly tell.

"Very well, Miss Stadtfeld," he says, inclining his head respectfully. "Have a good day."

"You as well," she replies, before turning back to Alicia. "Let's use the study," she offers. "Hisui, can you bring us some tea?"

Hisui bows deeply, and informs Kallen in a quiet voice, "Of course, Miss."

Alicia does not need a guide to Stanley Stadtfeld's office, in fact leading the way. She holds the door open for Kallen, waiting for the redhead to step in first.

Kallen drops her corporate manner shortly after everyone else has left, taking a seat behind the recently-cleared desk- all the files have been put away earlier, leaving it empty except for a computer and some trays.

"Who knows?" she asks, folding her arms. "And who cares?"

"I presume you are referring to that bit of information that may well sink us with you at the helm?" Alicia asks, taking a seat opposite Kallen. "No one should, although there were limits on what my team could accomplish. Sometimes, arranging for a deeper cover-up only singles it out for those who seek out the secrets. We didn't want to appear on anyone's radar in that fashion."

"What do you suppose would happen if my ancestry became public, exactly?" asks Kallen. "Short of a royal decree, I suppose there is no legal way around it."

"Royals break the rules," Alicia agrees with a curt nod. "On its face, there are no real obstacles to what you are doing. This had been the norm for Britannia longer than either of us have been alive. In fact, it might not even be the most successful case of... elevation, shall we say, through the castes? But it gives everyone an opening. The papers would smell a story and not let up, and not just the tabloids, who love a good scandal. Our stock would take a hit, we might lose the trust of some of our consumer base. However, the real issue comes from competition and government alike tying us up with legislation. At worst, we'll end up paying fines, and that alone would be easy to handle. Bribes are how we got into this situation in the first place, after all. But our hands would effectively be tied until this were resolved, for months if not longer, and in that time we could get cornered out of our markets."

"That doesn't sound as bad as I imagined. You could even turn it around," notes Kallen. "If it's played right, the papers will have far more interesting things to talk about than me. And for what it's worth, we'd gain consumers amongst the elevens..." She snorts. "And if it's played wrong, I'm in jail, you're all fired, and our assets rot in a vault somewhere."

Alicia frowns. "Your records are falsified, and that is a crime. You are named as your father's heir, and that is also illegal. We, the Stadtfeld Group, have facilitated these crimes, and are thus involved as well. Don't take our legal liability too lightly, Miss Stadtfeld. You may not be the only one penniless and in jail if things fall apart. I also find your opinion of eleven consumers to be in question. It is far more likely you would be seen as a Seventh."

"But there would be a key difference between me and the Six, if that were to occur," chides Kallen, leaning across the table and staring at Alicia. More brightly than before, the sigil flares in her eye again. "I'm not like those traitors," she hisses, feelings of anger and betrayal spilling forth. "They're scum who sold out their nation. I'm different! I was forced into it! It's only now that I can finally start taking back Japan, for the Japanese! I want to use my true name, Alicia, and I want to be proud of it! And I can make that happen, even if I have to wring this group to do it!"

She leans across the table, bringing her face ever-closer to the older woman's, anger and resentment slowing forming into conviction. "With the power of this group, I can fund a revolution and climb the tower at the same time. I can make the Japanese too strong to be ignored, and then be the voice speaking for them in the highest echelons. If the army turns against us, everything I have will be thrown against them. And if they don't, they have no choice but to leave me at the top. Either way-

"-I'll take back our names!"

Alicia's eyes widen, first in initial surprise and then in outright shock, even as the irises are framed with red as Kallen's power surfaces fully! She sits there, stock-still, even as Kallen leans forward, bringing her face close enough for their noses to nearly touch.

The door opens.

"Your tea, Miss," Hisui says in her ever-quiet voice.

Kallen leans back, twisting her head towards Hisui. "Just leave it on the table," she instructs, with quick breathing and something of a red face.

Hisui, it comes as a mild shock to Kallen, also seems to be blushing lightly. She moves quicker than usually, depositing the tray on the table to Alicia's left, and swiftly makes an exit, refusing to meet eyes with Kallen the entire time.

Kallen tilts her head in confusion for a moment, before reaching for the tea and taking a sip, leaving Alicia frozen in place.

Alicia's mouth moves. The lower lip twitches, her face getting animated slowly. It twists into a scowl.

She drops back into the chair, holding the cup aloft. "I'm the only one who can really change things," she murmurs. "The only bridge, the one who can work from all sides. Help me," she insists.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

"Help you?" Alicia asks, her voice shaking. "Help you?! Do what, ruin all that we've worked so hard to build all these years? Destroy what your father labored for, so much that he drove himself into an early grave? All so that he could pass it on to you?"

She stands up, slamming her hands against the desk. "This is how you repay him?! All for a name you yourself left behind when it was convenient?!"

Her chair drops on the floor behind her, forgotten.

"It's more than just a name! It's my whole life!" insists Kallen, dropping the teacup and glowering back at Alicia. "I never had a choice, and my father never did it for me- only.. only for his damned pride!" She starts to shake, one of her own fists clenched. Contact is reasserted in an instant, as she can't afford to let this get out of hand.

"He would've done me in if I hadn't toed his line- that's what invasion is all about, isn't it? Can you imagine what that's like? If you just need to drop your life and live some path someone else decides for you? If everyone you knew got thrown in the garbage heap and you can't do anything to help them, where others can just *step* on them, and if you try and help directly, you'll just get stepped on too? It doesn't matter how gilded a cage is if it's still a cage!"

"Stanley wouldn't do that," Alicia says, looking away as her anger evaporates instantly. "He loved you, Kallen. He worked hard to see the moment you'll get all of this." She sweeps her arm in an errant arc through the office. "I still can't believe he's in... in a coma...."

Alicia's speech becomes stilted, and she presses a hand to her forehead. The other one remains on the desk, but this time, it's easy to see that the blonde is using it to keep herself upright.

Kallen flops back down in the chair. "I never knew him, and he never tried. It was all by... protocol," she insists. "And this isn't about just me. There's layer upon layer of glass ceilings out there. It isn't fair for just me to be lucky. Maybe they can only get broken from the top, I don't know. You tell me what I should do!"

Alicia stills, but that only last an instant. She looks back towards Kallen, and smiles. It is not a particularly nice smile. "You should take what's yours back, of course. By any means necessary."

Her eyes are rimmed with red.

Kallen drops the contact, noting a clear difference between Alicia and Milly. The results of continuous use, she thinks to herself, pressing her own hand against her head. "That's right. Then the so-called truths of the Britannian Empire can be shown for the lies they are," she insists, before straightening up.

"As far as my name goes, it's true that if it's revealed prematurely, it'll go badly," she notes. "But it's key that if and when it happens, the court of public opinion should see it favorably, no matter how the actual litigation goes."

"It's not my field of expertise," Alicia admits, moving off towards a bookcase to her right. She studies it, running her hand idly over the covers. "I could, however, prepare for the legal aspects."

"That's what I ask. I'll have West work on the public sphere and leave the courts to you," she notes, glancing at the study's various furnishings. "As for school, it's not really anything major, and the Ashfords tend to be very understanding. I'd rather you concentrate on that and forecasting of how the Six's case would likely proceed."

Alicia nods. "I'll keep you posted," she agrees, finally withdrawing a book. She studies the cover for a moment, snorting, before turning back to face Kallen, holding the book. "Would it be alright if I borrowed this? For sentimental value, say."

The book is A Little Princess, judging by what's visible of the title, though Kallen can't tell which edition it would be. A strange place for such a book in her father's library.

"Keep it. I don't like that one," replies Kallen, the sight of that title triggering deep ambivalence.

Alicia seems amused, but does not comment. "If there's nothing else, then?"

Kallen gives a brief nod. "That's all for now," she agrees.

Rather than leave immediately, Alicia makes her way back to the desk, and picks up her cup of tea from the tray still lying there. It is no longer steaming, but she picks it up, taking a sip.

"Hisui is quite skilled," Alicia compliments, replacing the cup on the tray, and with another smile walks out of the office, closing the door behind her.

Kallen sits on the chair for a moment, and flips out a small compact, peering into her own eyes.

Kallen looks tired, but not terribly so. A light application of makeup should help conceal the outwards signs.

After wiping out some dust, she snaps it shut and pulls out her mobile again and calls Inoue back

The bluette picks up after a couple rings. "Got my message?" she asks without preamble.

"Yeah. What's up? Should I come down?" replies Kallen, propping her feet up on the desk.

"More importantly, is your weekend schedule open?"

"Board meeting on Monday, but the weekend's free. Will I need to cancel?"

"I doubt it," Inoue responds. "I need a date. Be my date for Saturday, Kallen?"

"You what? Me? Uh..." mumbles Kallen. "This is some kind of scheme, right?"

"Oh, don't be that way, Kallen!" Inoue says in an uplifting voice. "I'll take you to Kyoto! What do you say?"

"Oho. That sounds like fun," notes Kallen. "To see some temples, no doubt."

"And a priestess, if we're in luck. Bring your camera~"

"Just us?"

"Oh, I don't know," Inoue muses. "Some couples I know might also show up. Kyoto's a popular dating spot this time of year."

"Yes, the sakura are quite lovely, I'm told. Spring is such a wonderful time~. Train, I suppose?"

"Naturally. I'm not driving us all the way."

"I'll meet you at the station at noon or so. I'll arrange some tickets, we can have a private chat along the way. You have no idea what's just happened here, and I have to tell you all about it."

"I'll show you a good time~" Inoue promises in sing-song, and cuts the line.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

Hisui holds the limousine's door open as Kallen approaches it. The board meeting is long over; the others went home, but she delayed until now. Even though, appearances must be maintained. She can no more allow herself to return by train than she can to show up at the next meeting in faded jeans and a baby T.

The car takes off, and the telltale chime of receiving mail alerts Kallen to her laptop. In many ways, keeping information upon it is a security risk. However, isn't she expected to try and gather dirt on her competition as befits her station in life? This should be the last of the reports she had solicitated to help her read into the political situation of Area Eleven.

But Kallen is what she does, and if she spends too much time faking it, then even a lie becomes truth.

Flipping open the lid to the device, she pulls up her inbox and starts to read.

Most of it is a repeat of what she had read already. The current trends seem to be holding; surprisingly or not, but popular opinion amongst the Elevens seems to be in condemnation of the Black Queen. Even close to three weeks after the attack in Akihabara, wide-spread support for the Saitama group fails to materialize. Britannia does not feature any more favorably in the polls. If anything, the people are united in their disapproval of both sides. A vacuum exists, but one that may not remain for long, the report notes, given how short the public's attention span always seems to be.

On the Britannian side, support for the government seems to be steadily dropping due to what is seen as Clovis's inaction. The report suggests, without going out and outright stating it, that combined with the ever-increasing leaks from the governor's office, that the ground has never been more ripe for a hostile takeover. Initial Britannian anger against the craven Eleven attack is slowly transforming into simpering hatred for the lack of initiative on the part of their ruling body.

One part, in particular, warrants special interest. The Purist Faction, representing a significant part of the nobility and, as such, counting more than a third of Area Eleven's state of the art Knightframes among its resources, is particularly infuriated with the present situation. Its leader, one Jeremiah Gottwald, a baron according to Kallen's report, is becoming increasing outspoken against the restraint the military exercises. If he is not careful, the report suggests, he might either commit lese majeste or be accused by it by one of his equals in the regular military, lighting a veritable powder keg and leading to infighting on an unprecedented scale for recent Britannian history.

So far, however, Major General Davidson seems to be serving as an impeccable shield for Governor Clovis and the military forces under his command alike. How long his composure would hold is hard to say, as rumors insist that even he would like to see a response of some sort, even to ease off on the tensions between allied forces.

A third faction of note is lead by Colonel Peter Abrahms. The Colonel is an avid supporter of Governor Clovis's Honorary Britannian program, and beyond worrying about his own command, which suffers from a very real threat of being terminated, truly seems to see it and, in turn, coexistence between Britannians and Numbers as the ideal Britannia should work towards.

It would only take one more humiliation to drive the final nail into Clovis' governorship. With the Purists so volatile, something like an eleven company behaving like upstarts would be the light to their powder. And then, when the inevitable retaliation occurs, people would start asking why so much effort is put towards chastising elevens with theoretically legitimate greviences instead of actively hunting down the Black Queen.

It could spark the whole area. There's no telling what it'd look like when the dust settled, but the heavy-handed tactics that would be put to use wouldn't win the Britannian leadership any points in opinion polls. But doing so would ultimately lead to suffering from many Japanese in the short term, and while hatred for Britannian might rise in all areas, it still wouldn't be a cakewalk to exploit that.

That could be one option. Or Kallen could, perhaps, throw her backing publicly behind one faction or another- most likely Abrahms. Working with both her allies in the ghettos to help guide the Honorary forces- she's sure she could turn up -- the Black Queen. A few attacks on Clovis' rule from behind the scenes- other ambitious nobles could probably be goaded into that- and he'd still probably fall out the governor's chair, leaving her with any number of ways to sit in it herself or ensure whoever winds up in it is a sympathetic sort. Short of the mainland sending another replacement from the royal family...

The only issue with that route, naturally, is that it's an acknowledgement of Britannian rule, to a degree. And no matter what else she might do from there, there just isn't any easy way to take the entire system apart and strip it of primogeniture.

No one can help Kallen with her dilemma. Even if she could find it within her to trust Hisui, the maid is riding next to the driver today.

At the very least, she has to try and protect the Japanese where she can. If the Purist Faction contains so many members of the nobility, and is so eager to punish the elevens, then how hard can finding one be? She can't geass everyone, and getting into contact with a public figure she intends to twist to her will could be outright dangerous, but what about someone else? Perhaps someone her family has already dealt with in the past? The kind of people in that group would undoubtably be all over any chance to harass the ghettos, and an insider could tip her off in advance.

From past experience, Kallen knows such an inquiry would not take more than a few days, and even that only due to her wish for it to remain discreet.

The limousine stops. She hears a door in the front open, before Hisui steps over and opens Kallen's for her.

"Thanks for today, Hisui," notes Kallen, closing the laptop for now. "Do you mind continuing this work?" she adds, putting it in it's bag and stepping out the car. "I understand it's not quite what you're used to."

"I will do what you ask of me, Miss," Hisui responds stoically.

"I'm asking what you want to do, Hisui," replies Kallen, hoisting the case over her shoulder and starting for the door. "If you don't mind saying."

Hisui stares back at Kallen, as if uncomprehending.

Kallen tilts her head. "Because I wouldn't want my staff to be dissatisfied, so if there's a problem, now's your chance."

Hisui looks distinctly uncomfortable at the scrutiny. Observing her, Kallen gets the feeling that her offer touched something deep within her, but the quiet maid is not quite ready to act upon it.

After a moment, Kallen just shrugs. "I'll have you continue, then," she affirms. "Good work today. I'll be going on a trip over the weekend, so please let the staff know they'll have some extra time off." With that, she heads inside her house.

Hisui bows, responding with, "As you wish, Miss."

The estate is quiet these days. Kallen finds this instance no different.

It's her house, now. She can do what she likes in it, and only the servants would ever know. Even they don't have so much to do, lately. With Cleo out of the picture, there are about half as many little, needless chores that get heaped upon them.

Which means Kasumi does virtually no work at all, and sometimes Kallen heads to the kitchen to make her own damn tea. If she happens to leave the kitchen with two cups and have someone tell Kasumi to go to Kallen's room, nobody is there to cry foul or find little ways to make her life unbearable.

Kallen has the persistent suspicion that the servants don't think particularly highly of her, but they accomodate her needs just fine.

Not even five minutes have passed since she made herself comfortable in her room, before there is a knock at the door.

"Come in," replies Kallen, wondering if she should do something about that, but not sure what the right choice might be.

The door opens. Her mother steps inside, a hesitant smile on her lips.

"Come in. Oh, shut the door, would you?" asks Kallen, gesturing towards a chair, a cup of tea sitting in front of it.

Her father is an asshole who'd kill his own son, she reminds herself, and that's why Kasumi has been how she's been. It's his fault! Her mother deserves someone who can offer her a bit of kindness after the cruelty that man has showed her, and the only person that can be right now is Kallen.

Kasumi closes the door behind her, coming to sit by Kallen's desk quietly. She looks at it, her gaze going past the steaming cup of tea. It lingers on the picture of Kallen, taken during far more innocent times.

"I've been pretty busy lately," notes Kallen, taking a seat at her bed. "And it looks like it'll only get worse in the future. It seems like a lot of the time, I'm just visiting my own house for a bit before I race off again, so, um, have you been alright? I think things are easier around here, now."

"I don't get to do much," Kasumi responds, picking up the teacup.

"Well, there's not much to do, is there?" notes Kallen, with a tiny shrug. "This place is just too big, but nothing much happens here now." She takes a sip, and flops back on the bed. "Do you go out at all, these days?"

"It's dangerous to do that," Kasumi tells her, and Kallen realizes this must be true for someone so obviously Japanese in appearance. That her mother is even aware of events taking place outside is a welcome sign, aside from that. "I'm glad that you don't travel on your own."

"Well... there's no real choice if you can help it. Tokyo seems dangerous for everyone, these days," replies Kallen. "It doesn't matter where you live or who you are. Behind closed doors, it's getting pretty chaotic. But even so, life goes on, right?"

Kasumi nods, seeping her tea in silence.

"So, you know, if there's something you want, I mean, to buy, or to do, you don't need to stay here all day, ok? Just let me know and I'll make it happen somehow. There's another woman I've met recently who you might like to meet, and maybe go out with somewhere. She's pretty dependable," rambles Kallen, thinking about Sayoko. "She- well, she works for a friend of mine, but she's Japanese too, and they're pretty liberal, so..."

"You want me to... meet a woman? And maybe go out with her?" Kasumi asks, eyes widening.

"Well, you don't get to meet many people, and... you know I can't spend much time like this," replies Kallen, not really considering the implications that Kasumi seems to be. "And, you know, it might be good-"

She chokes back a chuckle. "This is really not the way someone should talk to their parents," she mumbles.

"We're not that liberal," Kasumi murmurs, clearly embarrassed. She cradles her teacup to her chest to alleviate some of it.

"Eh? Well, I'm trying to be," insists Kallen. "Look, I know Cleo ran a tight ship, but she's not running it anymore, right?"

Kasumi's embarrassment only grows. "I... I wish you the best, Kallen," she says, her voice barely over a whisper.

"Hah?" asks Kallen, a little confused. "Well, I certainly need it. There's school to consider, too." She makes a pained face. "Lots of friends.. transferred out lately. I'm on the school council, you know, and half of it ran off, and even I haven't been in for weeks, so who knows what it's looking like now..."

<--->

Corwin

<--->

Kasumi only nods, but sitting so close to her, Kallen feels it. Her mother really wants to reach out and reassure her, but she's afraid. The fear is either too deeply ingrained into her psyche, or otherwise too nebulous for Kallen to understand, but it's there, and as a result, Kasumi remains within arms reach, and yet all-too-distant.

Kallen has faith that her mother will get over it, as long as her world can brighten up a little. The best thing she can do is act like her daughter. Which is pushing it, she suspects, as most teenagers she knows spend their time escaping their mothers rather than telling them about their days.

"...so I really should go in tomorrow or something. I have to go away for business over the weekend, and there's another meeting on Monday, too. I'm thinking of running meetings via videoconference sometimes, then I'd save time on travel."

"It is important to appear in person," Kasumi says suddenly, sounding a bit like she's reciting words told to her in the past. "You go that extra mile for those you work with, and they always notice that and appreciate it."

"True, I guess people pay more attention to something solid," Kallen notes. "I'm not sure they appreciate a teenager telling them what to do, though..."

Kasumi wilts a bit, remaining silent this time.

"But things are changing and I should be able to make a difference. To the whole Area, even," she adds, finishing off her cup of tea. "I guess... yeah, I'm pretty happy with how things are going, overall. We might be putting a rebuilding effort through sometime in the future, too!"

"That's great," Kasumi voices, smiling at Kallen. "Just make sure you don't do anything dangerous, alright?"

"I can take care of myself," insists Kallen, instinctively.

"I know," Kasumi demurs. "It's just...."

She doesn't finish the sentence, but Kallen doesn't need a Geass to understand what her mother is trying to say.

"I'll be careful out there. I've got too much to do to let anything stop me. So try not to worry," replies Kallen. "Let me do the worrying."

Kasumi wrings out her hands, her cup left discarded on the desk. "You know I can't do that," she says quietly.

Kallen looks down, shiting her feet a little. Maybe she should've gotten changed first, wearing the suit around her mother is a bit anti-casual.

"Yeah, I know. I won't let anything bad happen to me, you know that."

"You are so much like your father," Kasumi whispers, raising her eyes to gaze at Kallen fondly.

Kallen does not look terribly pleased at this comparision. "Is that so?" she asks, her face losing some of it's tenderness.

Kasumi flinches at the tone, standing up abruptly. "I-- I should go," she says, fretting. "There is work to be done. I can't be taking up your time like that."

"And the other maids will gossip," replies Kallen, tugging at her collar. "Don't push yourself too hard."

Kasumi bows, and escapes into the corridor before Kallen could add anything else.

Why her mother, of all people? If it came from the board, she've been happier, but it doesn't get more backhanded than that.

Maybe it could be true in the future. But right now her father is a vegetable, and they weren't similar in the past! And that's that.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

She has to be more careful now, but Kallen is still no stranger to adjusting her appearance. She arrives with a little makeup on to tone her skin, a brown-red ensemble of denim and leather, and a shoulder bag with a change of clothes (should she need it) and assorted other essentials stashed away. It's a trip, after all.

It's easy to spot Inoue, dressed casually in jeans and a windbreaker. The sunglasses are a nice touch, Kallen thinks, and the way Inoue is leaning against a bulletin board suggestively is enough to make the redhead roll her eyes.

Which she does, along with an exaggerated grimace as she approaches the older woman. "Ready to go... sugar?" she montones.

Inoue pouts. "And here I was hoping I'll get to see you in a pretty summer dress." She pushes herself off the board, looping her hand through Kallen's. "But let's go, sure. You got us a private cabin?"

"You'll get your chance in a month or two~" replies Kallen, nodding. "Yeah, I've got your ticket. I hope you like pizza, by the by."

"I prefer spaghetti, but we'll work on that," Inoue responds.

Their train arrives to the station, and will be departing in five more minutes, according to Kallen's tickets. An elderly woman walking past them to the front car gives the two a disapproving glance, shaking her head. Inoue does not seem to notice, her eyes running over the train. "Where are we, then?"

Their cabin is in the fifth car, relatively close to where Inoue was waiting for Kallen.

"Fifth car down," replies Kallen, ignoring the inevitable looks.

Ultimately, there aren't that many of those. The train station is not as packed as Kallen is accustomed to seeing it, a point that drives home yet again just how reluctant people are to go outside or travel throughout Area Eleven these days.

As they head for their car, Kallen notices that Inoue leans on her considerably, using their linked arms as support.

"Everyone's staying home lately," notes Kallen, slotting the tickets through the machine and heading for the carriage doors. "I heard quite a few nobles are heading back to the mainland, too, for that matter."

"Wouldn't surprise me," Inoue comments. "Plenty of the locals would like to leave. If they had anywhere to go."

"Yeah. Though I wonder about that," admits Kallen, helping Inoue through the train to their cabin. "Even if they had the cash to leave the area, it'd still be pretty hard for an eleven to get by on another continent. And until recently, Tokyo seemed like the safest place, didn't it?"

"Ironically, I would call Kyoto the safest place," Inoue responds as the two finally get to their reserved cabin. "It's strange, but Britannia didn't bomb it during the war, and the JLF's kept out of it for the most part. I wonder whether there is some sort of shady deal taking place at the highest levels about that."

She grimaces. "Whatever, I'd be better off not knowing."

"Surrender quietly and we'll let you keep some of your stuff," mutters Kallen. "Anyway, is that why it's being used as a meeting place?"

"That would be my guess," Inoue agrees. "Ah, man, this bites. Ohgi goes and disappears on us, and dumps all this bureaucratic crap on crippled old me."

"Don't talk to me about bureaucratic crap. My eyes are going numb from staring at computers and files and god knows what all day," replies Kallen. "And I bet you didn't need to wear a suit the whole time, either- though, speaking of, at least you're up and about now, right? Full recovery in the works?"

Inoue loses some of her cheer. "Probably not. Yet another reason I get shuffled to 'command'." She adds in the air quotes in disgust. "The doc doesn't think I'll ever run a marathon. Not that I ever had, before. But getting told that, I kinda wanted to. Strange how a person's mind works, isn't it?"

"What, how when someone tells you 'no', you wanna get around it? That's totally natural!" replies Kallen, shaking her head. "Completely understandable."

"Good to hear that," Inoue says, and Kallen feels a shift within her. "We're on the brink of something, and it can't be good, Kallen. Our group's falling apart. Naoto, Ohgi, Lucille-- we've lost them far too quickly, and then, there is Tamaki massacring millions under my command. I can't begin to imagine what Kyoto must think of us. But still... I don't want to give up. Not on Shinjuku. And neither do you, isn't that right?"

"I'll never give up, on Shinjuku or anywhere else in Japan," replies Kallen, quietly. "But anyone can say that. What we need is.. some clear course of action to take, some obvious goal to work towards. What's the best way to help? I've got to admit, I'm struggling with that."

"I sometimes think I have an idea," Inoue says, sprawling over the couch. "And then it feels like I wake up, and it's the same old thing, fighting against a force of nature. Who knows? Maybe Kyoto figured this out and that's why they called everyone."

"You said you were worried about how they might think, but do they even know who's really responsible for Akihabara?" replies Kallen, raising an eyebrow.

Inoue gives her a look. "You know we coordinated some aspects of the operation with other groups. It was too big to handle on our own. They won't have the details, but they know who's responsible, alright."

Kallen slouches on her chair. "You think you're out of it, but you're still neck deep. I get it," she responds.
"I think the only consolation is that the Brits are as lost for leadership as anyone. But if the purist faction manages to come out on top, it'll be bad. As things are, I'm not sure how long our good Prince will keep them all in check."

"Never expected that fop to even try," Inoue scoffs. "Or do anything but hide under his bed."

"Hmph. So I wanted your opinion on this. There's the Purist Faction. Then there's another general who's pretty big on the honorary britannian system. You know, integration, that sort of thing. Which would we want to have more power within the system?"

"Can I take neither of the above?" Inoue asks with a snort. "Japanese begging to be Britannia's lapdogs. How can you support something like that? It's so demeaning I'd rather die." She shakes her head. "The so-called Purebloods would like to help me with that. Can't say I like them much, either, aside from their honesty."

"So Clovis is preferable to any kind of real leader?" quips Kallen, pulling out a bottle of water.

"Probably. Unless a smart general manipulates him into moving against us, of course."

"The current situation has to be resolved if he wants to keep his position. Unless the perpetrator's caught somehow, he'll eventually be forced to have his troops move out. Either that, or he'll be replaced," replies Kallen, surmising her thoughts on how the Britannians will act.

"So we're either looking for a massacre at Saitama or a new Governor," Inoue echoes her. "Yeah, that's what I figure as well."

"If there's going to be an attack, I think I can get advance warning, even some of the details," replies Kallen. "If we had time to prepare..."

"I like the way you think," Inoue tells Kallen. "Most of us, they would think about how to evacuate in time or use that information to minimize losses. But you actually intend to try and win, don't you?"

"You don't fight if you can't win," insists Kallen. "If we just wanted to minimize losses or run away, we should just disband. It's that simple. And there's one thing I know about the military structure," she adds. "The leaders are always close to the front. We could never just slug it out, not as we are now. But if you take the king..."

"His Royal Highness?" Inoue scoffs. "Dirty his hands by being anywhere near a battlefield?"

"He needs to recoup his reputation," replies Kallen. "This is based on the assumption that he values his reputation, right? So when the dust settles, he'll want it to look as if he's the one who pulled the culprit in. It's not like he'd think he's in any real danger when he's hiding in his mobile HQ."

"Makes sense," Inoue agrees, though she frowns, and Kallen senses uncertainty from her.

"We also have our secret weapon," adds Kallen, with some trepidation.

"Maybe that's why Kyoto left us alone," Inoue mutters quietly.

"There's no real countermeasure to be brought against it. It should even filter through knightmare armour," responds Kallen. "It won't spread like a disease, either- it doesn't even kill people. Not only can we use to put down our enemies, but we can do so without damaging their equipment. Which becomes our equipment."

"The mechanics are a bit more complicated," Inoue says. There is a distinct touch of distaste in her voice, but she forges on bravely regardless. "The gas is lethal enough, and at the same time, certain counter-measures could be taken to minimize exposure and increase one's chances of weathering out the attack."

"Even so, we stole it for the purpose of... using it," responds Kallen. "Maybe Balsam can suggest some way of deploying it with effect. She'd know it better than anyone."

"I've talked to her about it," Inoue says. "We can either use all we've got to blanket an area, or set it up within traps and lure enemy units over. It'd work even better indoors, she says, though she claims she's not an expert."

"Indoors..." muses Kallen, tapping the desk. "They'll just shell the ghetto and go house-to-house through the rubble. There won't be anyplace you could call 'inside' left by the time they infantry close in."

"Sounds like something the Black Queen would do."

"Really? Because as I see it, she hasn't done anything but put a sound file on the web."

"So you think it's all hot air?" Inoue asks doubtfully. "She's been around since before that... opportunity." She scowls, but proceeds. "Anyway, secretive as she keeps herself, it can't be just for fame. She intends to do something, and she'll need it to be big, or risk becoming irrelevant."

"Yeah, but... what could it be? She doesn't have that much support. Unless she's actually got some kind of special weapon or intel or something..." replies Kallen, equally doubtful.

"It took her a few days to make the announcement," Inoue says quietly after several moments the two spend in uncomfortable silence. "Maybe something changed, she got her hands on something and decided to make the most of it."

"Someone mentioned the Saitama people were acting oddly at the last meeting, didn't they?" muses Kallen. "I think it's natural to not try and steal the credit immediately, though."

"On account of new leadership," Inoue confirms. "She's pretty charismatic by all accounts. You have to be, normally, to take over a group like that."

"She seemed kinda young, too."

"So what, now I'm too old, too?" Inoue scoffs. "I should just roll over and die, rather than suffer through the endless Christmas Cake jokes."

She doesn't seem too serious. Except for the last part, which sounds like a touchy subject for her.

"Not at all! Youth and enthusiasm is no subsitute for..." Kallen puts her hand to her chin. "What were your qualities, again?"

"You are so sleeping on the couch!"

<--->

Corwin

<--->

Kyoto is always somewhat of a cultural shock. There are far more Elevens on the streets than one might see in any other Britannian settlement in Area 11; they seem to maintain the myriad of shrines and temples the city possesses. An unkind soul might call it a reservation or, even, a zoo, which the Britannians left largely untouched for their amusement and entertainment. The streets are filled with tourists, many visibly from the Mainland, Kallen can tell by the fashions.

One of the temples happens to be where Inoue is leading her. She relies on Kallen for support, as before, and the end result is that their heads are close enough for Inoue to whisper to her without drawing more attention than they already are merely by walking.

"There are two sessions scheduled," she fills Kallen in. "The first is this evening, and another tomorrow. We can either return after that one, or stay another night; that's been left to our discretion."

"Depends on what's going to be on the agenda, doesn't it?" remarks Kallen, gazing at the nearby stalls of Area 11, 7-year old Britannian theme park. "We should push to prepare for an attack in Saitama, right?"

"I've decided it's futile to plan ahead," Inoue responds with a crooked smile directed at Kallen. "So much depends on what's going to happen that it's pretty pointless, so I'm going to wing it."

"I guess no preperation survives contact with your allies," snorts Kallen. "Hey, why did you ask me and not someone else to come?"

"You are the most dependable of who's left," Inoue tells her. "Sad, isn't it, that we're reduced to recruiting from campuses?"

Kallen snorts. "You cradle-snatcher. I guess I should be horrified, but they do say it's darkest before the dawn."

"Even if it's wrong, know that my feelings are true?" Inoue offers with a snort of her own.

They turn from the main streets, heading down a narrow alley. Inoue nods to herself as she passes a Buddha statue wearing a baseball cap, and turns left into the next alley. There must be other signs, but none are as obvious for Kallen as she is lead along.

The streets of Kyoto are so mazelike that Kallen fears she would get lost without the bluette to guide her, and drops the banter for the time being. It'll soon be time to wing it. Whatever it is.

Inoue finally stops before what seems to be a small art museum. She steps inside, and as Kallen follows, she is possessed by a strange feeling of longing, as if a part of her that had been missing no longer is.

"It seems nostalgic, somehow," she confesses with a whisper, slowing her pace a little as she heads inside.

Inoue nods curtly. Two sets of indoors shoes have been left; Inoue dons one, and Kallen is certain at a glance that the other pair will fit her well.

Though no one is there to greet them, Inoue stands up with some difficulty, unsuccessfully hiding a grimace. "Prepare to be astonished. The temple is below ground."

Kicking off her sneakers, Kallen slides her feet into the shoes and steps up next to Inoue. "Looks like we're the last ones here," she observes.

"I very much doubt that," Inoue mutters, leading the way once more. They travel past the exhibits, the art displayed of a surprisingly Britannian style. "It's not authentic enough," she elaborates for Kallen's sake. "So there aren't many visitors, and those who come, only show up for the architecture, without really stepping inside. Convenient."

The fourth room they come across is just like the others, except it is missing several floor boards. A ladder extends below, and Kallen can see faint illumination ahead.

Inoue sighs. "Yeah, this'll be a barrel of laughs."

Kallen peers down the hole briefly, checking out how deep it goes. "Not saying anything," she replies, starting to climb down.

Neither does Inoue, though Kallen starts getting uncomfortable as she nears the end of her climb. It takes several moments to realize that the sensation is foreign to her, and several more to retrace it to its source, Inoue.

She's not even looking at Inoue while she climbs. Is she getting more sensitive?

Putting that aside, Kallen quickly clambers down to the bottom and peers up, in case Inoue needs help.

Inoue would like that very much, but she is mortified at the very thought of asking, and hidden below all that is a desire that Kallen doesn't notice just how badly the climb is bothering her.

Kallen gets a mild headache.

"Dammit, Inoue," mutters Kallen, so quietly that the other girl shouldn't hear. She shuts her right eye, turning away so Inoue doesn't see her grimace.

It takes almost twice as long, but Inoue finally makes it down, putting her arm across Kallen's shoulders. "Let's go?" she asks.

Kallen adjusts to the headache, managing to drown out most of it; her head feels like a layer of cotton surrounds it.

A path carved out of the earth leads ahead, the way illuminated by bare lightbulbs.

Kallen nods, and starts following the cheap lighting. "Next time, let's meet somewhere with an elevator. Like a cheap hotel or something," she grouses.

Inoue is amused by that, Kallen senses. And quite comfortable, now.

"Afraid that this is where all the meetings have been so far," she responds. "Your brother took me along once, when Ohgi couldn't make it."

There doesn't seem to be anything she can add to that, and all that's left is to proceed. The trip is hardly a long one. Before long, the two emerge into a cavern. Over forty pairs of eyes meet them as Kallen and Inoue step inside.

The cavern is largely barren, aside from a stage erected opposide the entrance; it holds several folding chairs, and is presently empty. More chairs fill the area, though few of those present are actually using them. Several Knightmares are parked off in alcoves to each side.

"I guess this place has it's merits," admits Kallen, eyes drawn towards the knightmares for a moment. "Anyone you know around?"

Inoue grimaces. "Not with the attrition rate being what it is." She points subtly at a pair far to the left, observing the Knightmares silently. "Think those are from the Fuji base. Can't really tell. The only ones I'd really know well would be from Saitama and, well...."

"And they ain't gonna come unless they plan on something theatrical," mutters Kallen.

"It wouldn't be someone I knew, anyway," Inoue mutters.

Footsteps sound behind them.

Kallen turns her head at the new arrivals. A chance to mingle, perhaps!

It is a beautiful woman, with jet-black tresses that reach past her waist and warm blue eyes. She smiles at Kallen, pausing, and the redhead realizes that she and Inoue must be blocking the way.

That brings another thought to the fore. Inoue could pass for Britannian at a casual glance, if no gaze lingers past the clothes and the makeup. Kallen herself looks far more authentic, but then she also undeniably has Britannian blood in her. The young woman facing her, however, could never be mistaken for a Japanese, and then it is confirmed when a chocolate-haired boy Kallen's age comes to her side.

"What's the hold up, Mary?" he asks, levelling innocent green eyes at Kallen.

"What's the rush?" replies Kallen, glancing curiously back at the Britannian woman. "Nothing's going on just yet, unless you're here to start. I gotta say, I didn't expect anyone else with Britannian blood to show up here." She pauses, and extends a hand. "Kallen, by the way." She keeps an eye on the other woman, intending to gauge how she reacts.

The smile remains, warmer than a merely polite one would be. "Mary," she says, accepting the hand with a dainty grip and shaking it. The smile takes on an amused air as she adds, "As I'm sure you've realized."

The boy by her side bows at the waist. "Kururugi Suzaku. It is nice to meet you." Inoue shifts at the name, and he seems to notice. "Yes, that Kururugi," Suzaku adds guardedly.

"That so. Any idea what the meeting is all about?" asks Kallen, putting aside what she knows about Kururugi. Children shouldn't inherit the sins of their fathers, after all. "We just got here, too."

"I'm actually a bit in the know," Mary confides in her, leaning closer. "There will be a vote."

Inoue belatedly introduces herself. Kallen feels the embarrassment coming off her in waves.

"Really? What's the agenda?" asks Kallen, trying not to let it bowl her over.

Kallen is unable to stop a mild flush from appearing, but otherwise weathers the foreign emotion.

"The future course of action the JLF is to take," Suzaku elaborates stoically. "Whether to remain petty terrorists forever, or gain a vision for itself."

"From how you say it, I think I can guess your position," replies Kallen, raising a palm to her chin. "But isn't the JLF's vision evidenced by it's very name?"

"If we limit ourselves to that strict reading, then what are we doing here?" Mary asks Kallen, the implication obvious.

"If you want to get interpretive, I'd say that the Liberation is the important word in that title," replies Kallen, with a shrug. "Nothing can change as long as Britannia is in charge, after all."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Mary muses. "Every change of governors represents a far greater change than the JLF has managed to cause in all its years of operation." She shakes her head resolutely, hair dancing behind her. "However, I happen to agree. True liberation cannot come as long as the Britannian Crown holds control over this Area. The way towards it, however, can wary, and that is what is at the core of tonight's discussion."

"It's a matter of force, isn't it? Of one kind or another..."

Suzaku tenses, and Inoue looks at Kallen curiously.

"Force might accomplish much," Mary responds, cocking her head. "But isn't force without direction ultimately meaningless? Therein lies the true power, and the real path to victory. In having an unwavering hand deliver that force, along with a message that would strike deep, that would resonate with everyone, Britannian or Japanese alike!"

"The strike and the message are one and the same. The targets that are defined shape the future, both of a resistance and anything that could follow it's success," replies Kallen.

"What message would you send to the world?"

Mary smiles again. "You'll get to hear it soon enough, won't you? May we get to work well together, Kallen."

"We're blocking the way," Suzaku says, as two more representatives scale the ladder down. Inoue twists to look into the tunnel past him, wincing almost imperceptively along the way.

"Let's get some seats while they're still empty," remarks Kallen, tugging Inoue along.

There are enough to seat over a hundred, from a quick glance. Inoue aims for the second row, and Mary follows along with Suzaku, claiming the neighboring seats. Mary gets more than a few glances, most of them hostile. So does Kallen, although she can see those turn apprehensive after a whispered conversation that no doubt involves her.

The room begins to fill up slowly. Inoue was right; they were hardly the last one to make it.

Kallen ignores it, remaining resolute. So what if a few people might have doubts? She'll prove her loyalty in time. And the Britannian next to her has more self-confidence that she surely has a right too- there's no doubt in Kallen's mind that she's not bothered in the slightest.

Observing Mary without being obvious about it bears that out. The woman sits comfortably as she waits, only moving her head to whisper to Suzaku once. Whatever she hears in response must make her pleased, as she nods briefly and settles down once more.

Roughly half an hour after Kallen and Inoue's arrival, a lean man ascends the stage, being the sign people need to begin to settle into their seats. He wears glasses, and has a distinctive scar on his face.

"Asahina of the Holy Swords," Inoue whispers to Kallen, sounding excited. "That must mean the rumors of Miracle Toudou being here are true!"

"I wonder what he'll propose?" murmurs Kallen, reflecting on what she knows about the man. A brilliant strategist, of that there is no doubt, but his victory was one amongst a sea of ouright failures. A living legend born out of a single spark.

The miracle wasn't the victory itself, but how he seemed to be such an attractive rallying point for the resistance groups. Would they even exist if it weren't for that one win?

There is always resistance, but even as she asks herself that question, Kallen realizes that those crushed ruthlessly without having anything to show for it are much harder to rally. In many ways, Toudou Kyoshiro is the man responsible for the JLF existing in its present incarnation.

"I'll make this brief," Asahina says, his voice carrying over. The room either has good acoustics or a sublime sound system, as Kallen doesn't hear the electrical noise usually assosiated with boosters and speakers set up in such conditions. "We are here today because of the events of Akihabara." Inoue shifts uneasily at Kallen's side, and the redhead's mind is assaulted with dark emotions ranging from fear to anger and self-loathing. Due to the onslaught, Kallen almost misses the next part. "Due to unfortunate circumstances, the JLF ended up triggering an outbreak that claimed millions of lives, many amongst them Japanese. One of our affiliated cells then took credit for the act, cementing it in the public's eye. Our response has been indecisive, and I can now reveal to you that it was due to a severe split within the leadership. In the end, a compromise was reached, leading for delegates from all the paramilitary groups and affiliated cells alike to be summoned, following precedents from previous case, even though none of those were quite so dire."

Another figure ascends the stage, and any murmurs Asahina's introduction caused cease entirely. Kallen knows that man, as does any Japanese. It is Toudou Kyoshiro, the man of miracles.

Asahina moves out of the way, and Toudou claims the center of the podium. "Make no mistake," he speaks, his features sharp. "We are not here to haggle, or to bring up old grievances. We are not here to judge each other. None of those are productive now. The only purpose of this meeting is to decide on the way the Japanese Liberation Front should take in the aftermath."

Kallen's face is a still mask, but it doesn't mean she isn't impressed with Toudou's delivery. People will judge, and complain to one another, but for now, at least, she believes that will be set aside until the new business is dealt with.

Mary's face is likewise impassive, Kallen notes while taking a look around. Suzaku's is more animated, and she feels a strange mix of anxiety and happiness as he focuses his attention on Toudou.

"Before we can see where we're going, however," Toudou is meanwhile saying, "we must know where we are, and what resources we have available to us. During the war, we've realized the destructive abilities of the Knightmares, not to be matched by any other weapons platform due to their flexible deployment options." He squares his jaw. "Japan has adapted. We have developed the Burai, a Knightmare that is equal to the state of the line Britannian hardware, the Sutherland."

This gets more than a few whispers.

"Mass production is still several months away, but a few test models have already become available," he continues. "And work on the next model to succeed the Burai has already started. This time, we'll achieve technological superiority over Britannia!"

And the sea of whispers and murmurs turns into a roar. Mary frowns.

"Amazing," remarks Kallen. "I had no idea we had R&D centres at that level of sophistication. Mass production, too..." She spares a glance at Mary, attempting to refocus her Geass away from Inoue- dammit, she knows her friend well enough without it- to see if she can tell what's on the Britannian's mind.

Kallen finds it difficult to detach herself from Inoue, although that feat is accoplished with her force of will. Mary, however, remains a null read to her even as she turns to look at Kallen quizzically at the scrutiny.

"Intelligence is next," Toudou announces, drowning out the crowd, which settles down once more at his words. "While we are not in a position to reveal much, forces operate within the Britannian leadership that find themselves in direct opposition with one another, and--"

As he speaks, Kallen realizes that she already knows that much, at least, as Toudou details the troubles in the Britannian heaven.

Anyone could find out with the proper contacts- the broad picture of high-level politics is, by nature, open to all. Turning back from Mary after a moment, she goes over what Toudou is saying, wondering if there's anything she knows that he's missed. The ideal state of Britannian politics is a question she hopes she can find an answer to today.

The facts themselves do not change. What does is their presentation, and even trying as he is to be objective in analyzing them, Toudou dismisses the Honorary Britannian faction as anything viable. In his conclusion, it is only a matter of whether the Purists will be able to seize control or indirectly do so by committing the entire Britannian military while acting on their own.

"This is one of the things we should address here," Toudou says. "Naturally, we must respond to undue aggression on behalf of the Governor, to draw a line that his office must never be allowed to cross, fearful of the consequences. But what should the proper response be to provocation on the side of these Purists? Some of us would view them as inseparable from the military. Others might consider holding off and forcing the Governor to waste resources and erode his already crumbling faith amongst his men to handle this hypothetical Purist insubordination himself. I'm afraid that, once again, it is not an easy question upon which Kyoto House has agreed unanimously."

"If the governor loses all his support, we'll just get a new one, and the situation will probably stabilize on the Britannian side. It's while they're wavering that we should take some kind of action," opines Kallen, quietly.

"Something has to be done before the situation's stabilized, yes," Mary agrees quietly, staring ahead at Toudou.

She stands up once there is a lull. "I believe that about covers up our tactical situation?" Mary asks, raising her voice. "In that case, Toudou-san, might I be allowed to speak?" And without waiting for an answer, even as those around her gasp and turn to look, Mary strides over to the stage.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

Mary remains unbothered by the glares falling upon her, as she joins the JLF head tactician on the stage. That he does not oppose her is the only thing keeping those gathered in check, Kallen feels, almost overwhelmed by the rising hostility.

"Thank you, Toudou-san," Mary says, smiling at him. "As I sat through your presentation, I could not help but notice something. You are detailing our respective resources and analyzing the situation accordingly, but that's not really how things are, is it? After all, it fails to account for Britannia might, and while you might see victory by these numbers, there is zero chance of this Area being abandoned by the empire. Certainly not where its Sakuradite resources are involved, certainly not due to its key strategic position, and certainly not given that man's enormous pride."

"That is true," Toudou acknowledges. "However, we cannot, as a Japanese resistance, realistically make the whole of Britannia our enemy--"

"Why not?" Mary asks calmly, and the hall erupts in yells once more!

Kallen pauses for a moment, briefly eyeing Suzaku before rising from her seat and attempting to pitch her voice into the ring. "Wait! Wait one second," she calls out, hoping to push it above the crowd.

Outwardly stoic, filled with worry below the surface, that's the read Kallen gets from Suzaku. By her side, Inoue seems worried, but doesn't react just yet.

"And now it's another Britannian!" a uniformed man exclaims angrily. Kallen spots a colonel's rank on him. "Are we going to let them run their own resistance, too?"

"Just what is wrong with that?" Mary asks from the stage, causing him to seethe. "Tell me, Lieutenant Colonel Kusakabe, how else should a Britannian that hates Britannia act?"

"We have no right of protest! The Britannian system is ruined from the top," adds Kallen.

"We know that nation will never let us go as things are, and their policy of inequality means that they will never respect any demands we might make! But how are we supposed to wage war? Britannian rules half the world. There's no way Japan alone can prevail against that sort of might, not without support from within Britannia itself or without, from other nations."

"In many ways, the conflict is very simple," Mary continues, as Kusakabe sputters. "You have Britannia's forces, and those who oppose them. And so, you can either be with us, or against us." Standing there on the stage, she suddenly looks extremely arrogant. "And thus, the choice is made quite simple, wouldn't you say?"

"What choice?" a call comes from the crowd, and Mary smiles, as if having awaited it.

"The choice to join me and destroy Britannia, of course," she says in a silky voice. "I can make it happen!"

Kallen is suddenly struck with the strange feeling that Mary's words are true. Inoue gasps, drawing her attention from the stage.

Kallen starts to reply, but her head twists automatically towards Inoue. Something feels wrong, here, and yet so right.

There is a sudden silence, as those gathered try to process Mary's words. Then, suddenly, Kallen spots movement from the left. She's not the only one, and a wave of panic goes through the crowd as one of the Knightmares moves into the light. It is not a model Kallen had seen before, and the unique, Japanese-themed design leaves no doubt in her mind that it is one of the vaunted Burai.

"Is that so?" an aged voice asks her from within it. "You stand here and claim that you can bring the Britannian empire to its knees?"

"I can do more than that!" Mary declares. "I will form a strong, united resistance that will, in time, reach critical mass and eliminate that man and his ideology from the world!"

Kallen has no idea quite how to respond to that, and remains silent for the moment to watch the discussion between the robot and the Britannian.

The Burai is silent, and so is the crowd, looking at it tensely.

"Toudou," the elderly voice finally asks, causing the tactician to snap into attention. "Can we trust her?"

He bows curtly. "Of the tactical abilities, there is no question. But her approach to combat--"

"Irrelevant," the Burai's pilot cuts him off. "This has been endlessly debated already. We can't be locked in indecision forever."

"We cannot," Mary agrees, causing a ripple of whispers to spread at how casually she enters herself into the conversation. "If we allow ourselves to be locked into a defensive position, we will never emerge from it once the governor's office recovers. We must strike now, we must strike often... we must raise such a hell that the Emperor himself takes notice, and then we will destroy his vanguard!" Her voice raises as she speaks. "Once we have achieved that, there won't be a man or woman in the world that wouldn't know the name of the JLF! And all those dissatisfied with Britannia, with its values, with it's approach--"

Mary's voice catches in her throat. "People are not equal?" she asks mockingly. "Fine! Then we will have to show ourselves better than all that Britannia throws at us!"

"What targets do you propose? Who are we aiming at in the now?" demands Kallen, putting her hands behind her back. "Are we waiting for Britannia to move out and catch them whilst extended, or to seek first blood?"

Mary smirks. "Why, we'll strike at the head of the snake, of course. His Royal Highness Clovis," she says, her voice denigrating when she mentions his title, "is hiding under his royal bed, but that won't save him. I have the means to take him out!"

Murmurs once again spread through the crowd, as Mary turns to face the Burai squarely. "If I do that, I will have proved my worth, this tactical ability you are forced to take on faith thus far, isn't that right?"

Though she speaks directly to the man in the Burai, Kallen has no doubt that Mary's words are intended for everyone gathered.

"And let him be replaced? With a more decisive, more intelligent governor? Having a clown in command is possibly the best thing that ever happened to us," replies Kallen, shaking her head.

"As things stand, the Britannian government is in chaos! It isn't a question of how it will regain control- it's a question of which faction decides to drag the rest into some ill-planned operation, one we can exploit! We can turn it into a nightmare for them, a public relations disaster- an attack that would erode the confidence of Britannians in their own government, not one that would spur them against a murder! Instead of merely taking his life, we can execute a political assassination, and force him to abdicate!"

"I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Britannian," Colonel Kusakabe mutters, shaking his head ruefully, "and a teenager, at that. But she's right! Clovis is a wimp, and according to our intelligence, he is being pressured from all sides, adding to the ineffectiveness of his forces. To take him out at this stage is madness!"

Voices rise in support, mostly from the military contingent, Kallen notices.

Mary, for her part, graces the colonel with a look filled with scorn after her eyes briefly slide over Kallen and dismiss her as a debate partner. "Hmph." She tosses her long hair over her shoulder with an air of superiority. "That is why old men like you lost!"

Several of the gathered delegates seem to forget themselves, charging the stage at the insult, but Suzaku is suddenly there, settling into a defensive stance before Mary. "Three trained soldiers against one girl. It does not seem fair, is it?" His voice carries a note of warning in it.

"I am not taking that back!" Mary says loudly over the arguments and insults filling the air. "A cowardly choice of retaining the status quo, reassuring ourselves that it is the best we can possibly reach? That is a lie!"

She moves past Suzaku, facing the hot-headed soldiers head on in a deliberate disregard to her safety. "We can win this, people! But not if we keep on settling for second best! Not if we keep on making the same excuses that lead to Japan's humilitating loss!"

There are no outwards signs, but Kallen can feel Suzaku flinch at the words.

"Clovis's replacement would be worse, you say?" Mary is asking the crowd. "Then his fate is clear, isn't it? And the next replacement. And the next one!"

"The time is not right to take a royal head! It's only when the streets themselves cry out for justice- when we win the hearts of the people- can we truly prevail on these grounds! If you do this on the heels of the disaster that was Akihabara, there won't be a shred of support! If the world turned against us, could we possible win?"

People quiet down at the mention of Akihabara, and the air turns oppressive.

Mary is the exception. "We cannot remain chained by Akihabara forever!" she announces to the crowd. "If we put our plans on hold so that the people have time to forget it, then is it not hypocrisy of the highest degree?" She shakes her head resolutely. "I reject this! Public support is fleeting, and we can't run the resistance based on PR data. What we must do is generate support, true support for our cause! People would respect us staying the course! People would respect results! Those results are what we must present to them, and that is why striking at Clovis is so crucial! There is no sign more visible of Britannian tyranny in Japan--"

Mary's lips quirk suddenly. "Oh, excuse me. It is Area Eleven, isn't it? So many of you, here, have accepted that fact with your hearts, that I might as well use terminology that speaks to you."

"You're saying that people will respect us merely because we take action without considering why!" snarls Kallen. "Goad that tyranny into damning itself, and freeing Japan from it's false names becomes simple! Kill Clovis, and the only support we'll ever get is that we already have- people will not rally around outright murder!"

A sharp change goes through Mary. While so animated just then, she suddenly becomes languid and, perhaps, even a touch bored as she finally levels her gaze at Kallen.

"Ah, I see the plan you propose now," she drawls out. "Wait for Clovis or those under his command to commit atrocities against the Japanese. Then, having attained that mythical high moral ground, we will nag Clovis out of office. We'll make the newspapers write harsh words about his vile misdeeds, thus gaining worldwide support in our campaign against Britannia."

The smile she gives Kallen is positively catty. "Perhaps your group could loan him one of those weapons that proved so effective in Akihabara, Kallen, so that our beloved governor would not need to labor so to manufacture just the right kind of massacre we would like to flay him over?"

Inoue stands up sharply, teeth clenched. Suzaku pales visibly, but comes to stand by Mary's side. Still on the stage, Toudou seems concerned, but all that and more is but background noise. Mary, looking down on her from the stage, is all that matters to Kallen.

"It wasn't meant to be that way!" replies Kallen, seething, shivering, clutching her fist against her chest. "But the Britannians have been intentionally massacring us for years! And every time- every time!- it's been called... rezoning. Connstruction. Police work. A *traffic jam*. They have their pretexts, their lies- from a nation that claims right to exist because it reveals the truth! If you want to wage war against Britannia, then we need to break the slogans it uses to prop itself up. If all we needed to do was kill the royals, then..."

She snorts. "We might as well go to Pendragon, if you're talking about the head. Assassins struck within six years ago, did they not? And they were never found. Clearly, it can be done. Would it be enough? I'm not convinced."

<--->

Corwin

<--->

"What's with this us?" a woman behind Kallen exclaims, jumping to her feet. "You're Britannian, too! Don't ignore it when it's convenient!"

"Shut up!" Inoue exclaims, whirling on her. "Kallen is as Japanese as you and me!"

Mary's eyes narrow, but before she can say anything, Suzaku storms towards Kallen. "How dare you?!" he exclaims, and his anger is palpable. "You don't know what you're talking about--"

"Why should we listen to a little traitor like you?" Colonel Kusakabe exclaims, staring Suzaku down. "Didn't you turn your back on your heritage and try to enlist with Britannia?"

"That is quite enough," Toudou says. His voice sounds calm, but it still manages to stop everyone in their tracks. It cuts through Kallen's anger, making her feel as if she had a bucket of freezing water dumped over her head. "We have heard several opinions here, today," he continues, knowing that he has everyone's attention and using that influence. "I propose that we reconvene tomorrow morning to decide on the JLF's path." It doesn't sound like a request or a mere suggestion.

Already with one foot forward and a hand halfway up at Suzaku's approach, Toudou's words cause Kallen to drop back into her seat a moment later. Her gaze fixes on Kururugi, in a clear answer to his challenge.

"Toudou-san is right," Mary uses the ensuing silence to speak. "This is an important decision, after all. It should be based, at least in part, on logic and not on flaring tempers and pointless provocations."

At her words, Suzaku stands down, but his gaze is saying, 'This isn't over,' in a way that doesn't lend itself to misinterpretation.

It shouldn't be Kallen who says that what's done is done, she reflects. "We have the same ultimate goal, after all," she adds. "No matter what is decided in the end, all of us need to follow it through."

Mary bows respectfully to Toudou and to the man in the Burai, and without waiting on a response, strides over to the exit. She seems to exude an aura that makes the sea of people part before her, none harassing the raven-haired woman as she leaves. She does not visibly respond to Kallen's words, but her gaze falls upon the redhead briefly; Kallen is the only one to get such a treatment, and then she is gone, Suzaku catching up.

Inoue places her hand on Kallen's shoulder. She grimaces, whispering, "Think I twisted my ankle. The bad one."

"Want to just rest for a minute? There's no hurry," replies Kallen, turning from the retreating duo and putting her attention back on her companion. "At least, not for us."

Inoue seems miserable as she nods, dropping heavily into her folding chair. "I don't think I can make it back up on my own."

"Ah, don't be like that. They've gotta have another exit. There's too much stuff here, even a Knightmare," replies Kallen, standing up herself. "I'll go find something."

Leaving Inoue behind for a moment, Kallen heads through the crowd, towards the bespectacled soldier, coming right up to the stage. "Asahina-san, can you help me with something?" she asks, without preamble.

"Actually, it's about Inoue. There's an old injury she's having trouble with, and she probably can't climb that ladder. Is there another way out?"

Asahina studies Kallen for several moments. "Shinjuku, right?" he asks. "This is a problem. As must be obvious, the Knightmares have a different way of getting here, but it is restricted."

People continue to leave through the designated exit; most are angry, Kallen senses, but none of it seems to be focused on her specifically, at least.

"Oh, don't be like that," a youthful voice calls out from the same alcove the Burai emerged from earlier. "We have a duty to help sick and injured people, don't we?"

"What are you doing here?" Toudou asks, sounding nonplussed. "This is no place for children."

"Hmph." The girl emerges fully from the shadows, and the first thing about her Kallen notices is her striking emerald eyes. "If I'm a kid, then what about her?" She points at Kallen. "Just because she's unnaturally busty, does she get a free pass?"

"Because I work, dammit! What do you do, shrimp?" snaps Kallen, whirling at the voice. "And is that jealousy I hear? You need brit blood for that, don't be." Folding her arms, her voice drops. "What's with that attitude, anyway? Hanging around privates so long that you've picked up their talk?"

"Eww, Britannian cooties." The girl makes a face. "The price, it's just too high!"

Asahina looks embarrassed. Kallen can tell it's genuine.

"It's a serious concern for me," mutters Kallen, briefly recalling the Valentine's incident. "-annnnnnnyway, whose kid are you?"

"What's it to you?" she asks, crossing her hands in front of her chest. It is easy for Kallen to tell that her jab about jealousy wasn't far off the mark.

"Depends. I wanna take a friend for a ride in a knightmare. Can you help me with that?" replies Kallen.

"Not really," the girl responds, stretching languidly. "They're all the rage, and there would be all sorts of whining and going "No, Kaguya, you can't take the prototype for a ride." She makes a face. "If you really want to leave this joint, how about using the rails?"

Toudou looks torn even as he keeps his silence, while Asahina beats a hasty retreat.

"Aww. Good enough. Y'know, I was thinking we'd have to steal knightmares or something. Now I wanna try testing one of these Burai, see how it handles. Pity, but what can you do?" remarks Kallen, gesturing briefly at Inoue. "Gonna show us the way?"

Kaguya makes a point of eyeing Kallen, and turns up her nose at the end of her inspection. "You? Right. Have you ever actually gotten into one of them before?" Her tone seems to imply that she has experience.

"Yeah. I beat everyone in simulations, too," replies Kallen. "But they didn't like it when I said I wanted to be a Japanese Knight..."

"They probably just didn't like being around a stupid person," Kaguya says, waving her hand in a dismissive fashion. "Don't take it personally."

Another Burai emerges from the alcove, and it lowers to one knee, the cockpit block opening. A young woman stands up, dressed in a uniform Kallen can't immediately place. She is the very image of a Japanese lady, until one takes a look at her fiery red hair. "We shouldn't stay here too long, Kaguya," she says, using a cable to lower herself the rest of the way down.

Kaguya sighs. "Alright. I get it. But we're still taking them, Akiha?" She gestures at Kallen, and the distant Inoue. Most of the room's occupants have left by now.

The response is a brief nod.

"She's so magnanimous, isn't she, Inoue?" mutters Kallen, as she heads to the bluette's side to help her along.

Inoue accepts it silently, radiating shame. Akiha materializes at her other side, and though Inoue initially resists, the redheads overcome her in no time.

"Alright!" Kaguya declares, punching the air triumphantly. "Let's go!"

As the energetic girl leads the way into the alcove, Kallen spots Akiha and Toudou exchanging nods, the latter moving towards the now-vacant Burai.

Kallen follows, though she didn't think it would take two people to help Inoue along. "What did you think of the meeting?" she asks, addressing the other girls in quiet tones.

Kaguya leads them deeper inside, and Kallen realizes that it was not an alcove at all, but a tunnel. A railroad starts not far from the entrance, and a vehicle capable of traveling it awaits.

"She'll get their support," Inoue says, gritting her teeth. "And get them all killed. Wouldn't you normally consider the chance of failure and plan for it? She plans to discard all that, I can feel it." Her face twists into a grimace, as if she had bitten into something particularly bitter. "And the worst part is that I can't help but think she might be able to pull it off!"

"It must be why Toudou-san approved of her ability without much of a resume," Akiha muses in response, being surprisingly open despite her previously reserved approach. "It's not recklessness on her part. She knows exactly what she's doing."

"Where did she come from?" asks Kallen, deciding to indulge her curiosity. "She must have already proved herself somehow, right? To Toudou-san, if not to the rest of us."

"You didn't know?" Akiha asks, showing surprise. She frowns. "No, I suppose you wouldn't. Mary leads the Saitama cell."

Inoue grows quiet at the mention.

"To be honest, the thought crossed my mind," mutters Kallen. "It's natural to go after the leader in war, but I can't believe she'd suggest killing Clovis now. The military is practically willing to tear itself apart already. More than anything, this is like... trying to let them know that we exist."

Frowning, her voice becomes more worried. "As far as killing him goes, you know, I don't actually think that, in itself, would be impossible."

"In a way," Akiha responds, "it is true. Few things are ever impossible. As you've pointed out, even an assassination deep within Imperial territory is possible. However, there have been numerous attempts on Governor Clovis's life before, none successful, and none at a time of such hysteria and increased security protocols that border on the paranoid. This would pretty much necessitate her to assassinate the Governor at his home, as he no longer leaves it, and it is built like a fort. However you look at it, that would represent a tactical achievement few could match."

Inoue nods sourly. "That girl wouldn't be the first to try," she agrees. "But if she succeeds, that just means the JLF is hers to do with as she wishes. Dammit, I didn't join a suicide pact!"

Akiha shakes her head. "I don't believe that would take place. The military elements would never follow a Britannian, even if Toudou-san approves of her. Even if Kyoto approves of her."

"But a lot of the resistance is not arranged on military lines," replies Kallen. "Saitama and Shinjuku aren't the only ghettos. The Purists might run out and drag the rest of the army behind them- she might try and do the same herself."

Akiha's mouth becomes a flat line. "I find the comparison distasteful," she states. "Mary might be many things, but she is not a genocidal racist by any measure. Toudou-san met with her, and he is not in the habit of allying himself--"

"Hey, we're here! Hurry up!" Kaguya calls over, turning to wave at the three. "I don't have all day, you know!"

"I didn't mean to say it like that," replies Kallen, unwilling to pick up the pace for someone so young-seeming. "I just feel that the worst thing we can do is split ourselves and end up working at cross-purposes."

Akiha and Inoue seem to agree on that, and the former settles down.

A few dozen steps cover the distance to the vehicle, appearing much like a cable car. It seats six, more than enough for Akiha and Kaguya to claim one side and leave the seats opposite them to Inoue and Kallen. As it starts moving, Kaguya tilts her head, pressing her lips together in an expression Kallen secretly finds adorable.

"Oh, right!" the girl exclaims. "We haven't introduced ourselves, have we?" Appearing haughty, she states, "You have the pleasure of meeting Tohno Kaguya face to face. Know that it is a great honor!" She smiles brightly, and swivels in her seat to look at her older companion. "Did I do it right, Akiha?"

The redhead ignores the question, instead saying, "Likewise, Tohno Akiha. A pleasure to make your acquaintance." She concludes her introduction with a bow from her seating position.

"Kouzuki Kallen. The pleasure's all mine," she responds, mirroring the bow with a faint grin and trying to resist snatching Kaguya to take her home.

"Inoue Kikuko," the bluette concludes the round of introductions. "Sorry for the trouble."

Kaguya waves it away. "It's okay, I was bored anyway."

Akiha's eyes narrow. "So that is why."

The younger girl suddenly looks shifty.

"What's your relation? Cousins?" queries Kallen, glancing from Akiha to Kaguya and trying to reconcile the two completely-different looking girls.

"Our relationship goes deeper than that!" Kaguya protests instantly, her hands forming tiny fists that she shakes at Kallen. "It is a special bond that transcends social norms!"

Akiha slaps her upside the head. "Stop doing that. I know it's on purpose." She sounds cross, but the look she gives Kallen and Inoue is apologetic. "Sisters."

As Kaguya looks away, puffing her cheeks, Kallen must admit that hair color aside, their bearing and general features have things in common.

"Hear that, Inoue? You should form a club," murmurs Kallen, nudging her companion. "It must be hard," she adds, for Akiha's benefit. "I know."

Inoue reddens at Kallen's words.

"Withholding piloting priveleges works wonders," Akiha says dryly, ignoring the byplay, while Kaguya whirls on her with a distraught expression. "You wouldn't!"

Kallen snickers at the blatant threat. "You could do martial arts instead. With some proper training, even you could become someone formidable!"

"Even you? Hey, what's with that even?" Kaguya demands, standing up to tower over Kallen, hands on her hips. Then, the moment is ruined as the car jerks, sending the girl crashing bodily into Kallen.

Akiha chuckles. "The Kaguya Effect. Put that girl into anything mechanical, and if there is a way to cause it to malfunction, she'll find it. Entirely by accident." She shakes her head. "I sometimes wonder whether that makes her the better test pilot."

Kaguya sputters indignantly, but there's not much she can do while tangled up ignobly with Kallen.

"You just need to get your hands on them, is that it? 12 is too young to be a pervert!" growls Kallen, grabbing Kaguya's head and starting to noogie her. "First lesson! Headlock!"

Kaguya contorts herself into several shapes that leave Kallen in doubt as to existence of the younger girl's spine, trying to escape. Finally, her chance comes, as she manages to bite at Kallen's hand.

"Sharp teeth, too," Akiha notes, sighing.

Wincing a little, Kallen eventually shoves Kaguya lightly away from her and back into her seat. "Using every weapon you have avaliable is how it goes," she admits, shaking her palm.

Kaguya grins triumphantly despite her tussled up hair, proudly displaing her white teeth.

And as the car speeds off into the unknown, Kallen suddenly realizes that the nostalgic feeling she had experienced back at the meeting has left her some time during their trip, taking along with it the added sensitivity of her Geass.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

[16:57] Their ride reaches its destination. Kallen can't tell the difference, but Kaguya's face lights up. "Welcome to my secret base!" she announces loudly, spreading her arms widely as she stands up.
[16:57] Akiha brings a hand to her forehead, sighing. "Something about that greeting didn't sound right," she mutters, and Inoue snorts.
[16:58] A tunnel leads ahead, but the rail ends here.
[16:59] "But it's at least half-accurate?" remarks Kallen, shortly standing up and offering Inoue a hand.
[16:59] "It is a very splendid secret base!" Kaguya insists, as Inoue accepts Kallen's help without her previous fuss.
[17:03] Well, it isn't a treehouse, after all. "Impressive, for a kid," she decides to admit. "How long have you had it?"
[17:07] Akiha coughs. "Since we took you here, there can't be any harm in telling you," she says. "This is one of Kyoto's research facilities for Knightmares. Since people we can't afford to lose frequent the JLF meetings, there is a rail leading there the leaders could use either to escape or to call in reinforcements."
[17:07] She looks embarrassed as Kaguya exclaims, "That's what I said! A secret base, a secret base!"
[17:13] "Nice. Truth be told, I'm amazed the resources to make this happen exist in the first place," admits Kallen, somewhat astounded. Her voice droops, a little. "If I'd known..."
[17:17] "Japan wasn't defeated," Akiha says to that. "Since we didn't fight, didn't even get a chance to fight, our resources were mostly intact. And we haven't been idle since, not those loyal to the cause of freedom."
[17:17] Kaguya ignores the exchange, running ahead. "I'll tell everyone we have guests!" she calls over her shoulder, and disappears around a curve.
[17:17] Akiha sighs. "I suppose it should be safe, here."
[17:17] "Your burden is a heavy one," Inoue sympathizes.
[17:19] "Especially when there are those who decided it wasn't worth taking," adds Kallen, dryly.
[17:22] Akiha nods sharply. She doesn't respond beyond that, but there's anger in her eyes.
[17:22] "Guests, was it?" Inoue speaks into the somewhat-oppressive silence.
[17:22] Akiha startles. "Oh. I doubt a request from Kaguya would be denied if she pouts, so we could put you two up for the night if you would like."
[17:24] "Sure. How could we possibly refuse such energetic hospitality?"
[17:25] "By sneaking out while she's preoccupied," Akiha responds, sounding perfectly serious.
[17:25] "She might come after us. In her knightmare."
[17:27] Akiha rolls her eyes. "Don't feed her delusions. Even if we're desperate, we wouldn't let thirteen year olds pilot."
[17:30] "It sounded like she had trained already," admits Kallen. Nobles start learning young, though they're naturally not on the battlefield until they're of the right age. In theory.
[17:36] "Well." Akiha colors slightly, turning her head away from Inoue and Kallen. "It's hard for me to refuse, too, sometimes. But it's under controlled circumstances."
[17:36] The light gets brigther as they walk. Rounding yet another corner allows Kallen and Inoue to see the tunnel finally opening up into a cavern. Unlike the spartan look of the one used for the meeting, the one ahead seems more like a basement than a cave. Its center is dominated by a dismantled Knightmare similar to the Burai Kallen had seen that evening,
[17:36] lying there like a dissected corpse as scientists gather around it, easily discernible by their coats and clipboards.
[17:38] There are six of them-- no, seven, as another appears, stepping out from behind the Knightmare's head. A middle-aged man, he is talking to Kaguya as she relates something to him animatedly, waving her arms for emphasis. On top of them, there are several JLF troops nearby, and an older woman wearing the same kind of uniform Akiha is.
[17:42] Kallen starts heading towards Kaguya, curiously glancing at the Knightmare skeleton that dominates the room along the way. When attention inevitably comes her way, she bows. "Kouzuki Kallen, and Kikuko Inoue, from Shinjuku. Sorry for presuming on you all like this."
[17:49] "My, you've even taken to introducing me to everyone?" Inoue asks, hanging off Kallen's arm.
[17:49] Akiha rolls her eyes. "Now I get it," she mutters, before walking off to the older woman now studying them. Kallen places her in the late twenties. Her hair is dark, almost purple, the way the light hits it, and curly. She smirks, and greets Akiha, who responds in kind.
[17:50] "Ah, so that is how it is," the scientist who was seen talking to Kaguya earlier says wearily. "This is what she meant by the urgent need for permission." Seemingly dismissing Inoue and Kallen, he lectures the young girl, "Now, Kaguya, what have we said about asking for permission?"
[17:50] "When you can't get it quickly enough, seek forgiveness?" Kaguya responds, seeming to be reciting from memory.
[17:52] "Keep talking like that, and you'll be buying your own cake again this Christmas," scolds Kallen quietly, before quirking her lips at Kaguya's response.
[17:55] "Now that's just below the belt," Inoue grouses.
[17:55] Kaguya keeps on smiling disarmingly at the man scolding her, and he sighs. Finally acknowledging Kallen and Kikuko, he seems to shrug. "Shinjuku, was it? Well, as long as you don't touch anything. I'm Daisuke."
[17:59] "We'll try not to break anything. Although I kinda wanted a shot," replies Kallen, trailing off towards the end.
[18:00] "A shot?" he asks, sounding confused.
[18:00] "Nothing. Mind showing us around, Kaguya-chan?"
[18:03] Inoue winces at the question. "Actually, if there's some place to get dinner," she says, Kallen catching her throw a quick glance to her wounded leg. Kaguya appears oblivious. "We can do both!" she exclaims. "Akiha! Hey, Akiha! You and Kujo are going to get some food anyway, right? Take Inoue along!"
[18:04] Daisuke uses this chance to slip off, shaking his head.
[18:07] "See you in a few, then?" offers Kallen, after a moment. "I want to check the place out a bit, so..."
[18:12] "Have fun," the bluette wishes, sounding relieved. There is no time for Kallen to respond, as Kaguya latches onto her arm and drags her off with surprising force for a thirteen year old girl.
[18:12] The secret base, as Kaguya refers to it, has several facilities for the staff living in it; she skips them altogether, judging them to be too boring to be included in the tour. The large are the tunnel connects to is merely where the Knightmares undergo final testing before assembly, Kallen learns. There are also separate chambers for the various unique systems making up Knightmares,
[18:12] from their sensors through their armament to propulsion; here, Kallen is denied access, even when Kaguya tries to force their way in.
[18:16] "Do you have simulators?" asks Kallen, after heading away from another attempt at brute-force diplomacy. "Or is it all live exercises?"
[18:19] "Well...." Kaguya gathers her hands behind herself, rolling back and forth on the balls of her feet. "What should I do, I wonder?"
[18:24] "I guess they might not let you in, though," continues Kallen, holding her hands behind her head. "The real pilots might object."
[18:24] "Hey, now!" Kaguya's hands are balled into fists once more, and she places them on her hips. "I am an excellent pilot!"
[18:25] "Hmm? Can you prove that?" counters Kallen, peering down at the younger girl.
[18:26] "I can!" Kaguya asserts.
[18:26] "Show me!" replies Kallen, with a grin.
[18:27] "No way!" Kaguya snorts. "What do you take me for, a kid?"
[18:28] "So you can't," replies Kallen, sadly.
[18:29] Kaguya brings her fists under her chin, looking up at Kallen. "That's not it! But if I just give in at such a simple trick and show you, I'll look like an idiot!"
[18:36] "But if you don't, then you look inconstant," replies Kallen, raising a finger. "Besides, if you're that good, then I look like the idiot for trying to trick you, right? And besides, I want to see for myself if the Japanese Knightmare measures up to Britannia's current models."
[18:37] Kaguya looks miserable. "I'll let you win this round!" she exclaims, pointing at Kallen, her index finger a mere whisper from the redhead's nose. "Let's sneak into Kujo's room. She keeps the simulators there."
[18:38] Kallen can't help but tell that Kaguya is a bit excited, too.
[18:42] Anyone would know that just from hearing her speak for a few minutes- not to mention the general proclivity of kids towards sneaking around and keeping secrets. Something she shares, she archly reminds herself. "Sure thing. Kujo's Akiha's friend?"
[18:47] "Maybe a friend. Maybe not. Their intricate relationship cannot be described by mere words!" That certainly sounds familiar, and Kaguya continues to describe the apparently complicated, if she is to be trusted, friendship between the two women even as she leads the way.
[18:47] The living quarters are easy enough to access; Kallen and Kaguya don't encounter anyone along the way, and before long they stand facing a door marked 'L. Kujo'. "This would be difficult without the keycard," Kaguya says, and her eyes are mischievous as she produces one. "Very difficult."
[18:50] Even school is more secure than this. Kallen restraints that from slipping out, merely nodding at Kaguya with a smirk.
[18:56] Kaguya slides the card and enters a five-digit code on the keypad nearby. There is the telltale click of a locking mechanism, and Kaguya pushes the door open. The room contains a messy bed and a closet, but it is dominated by a desk propping up a large monitor currently in sleep mode. A computer hums beneath it, and a tablet is left nearby.
[18:56] There is also a mini-fridge within easy reach of anyone sitting behind the desk.
[18:56] "Where is it," Kaguya mutters, heading towards the closet after a quick glance around. "Did she hide the gear?"
[18:58] "If you sneak in often, she might be adapting."
[18:58] "Nah, Kujo's just a slob," Kaguya throws over her shoulder, opening the closet doors and beginning to rummage through its contents.
[19:00] Kallen tilts her head to get a better view of underneath the haphazard bed, figuring it's the next most likely place to stash this sort of gear if it ain't in the closet.
[19:02] A few beer cans greet Kallen. "Found it!" Kaguya exclaims, struggling with a cumbersome-looking helmet. Wires lead from it, several of them going to a pair of gloves that must be part of the set.
[19:07] "Not exactly lifelike. Does it hook up to the computer?" asks Kallen, glancing at the monitor. "You know, for viewing purposes?"
[19:09] "Don't underestimate this system!" Kaguya says, cheeks red from the exertion. She gives a final, forceful tug and goes flying back as the kit has finally been retrieved from the depths of the closet.
[19:13] Somehow, Kallen manages to catch Kaguya as she tumbles back, preventing her from adding to the already-dismal state of the room. "Right. I am prepared to be surprised," she declares.
[19:15] With Kallen's help, Kaguya manages to get the gear to the desk. She glances at the tablet occupying space there before grabbing and carelessly tossing it over to the bed.
[19:15] "We don't have the space here for an actual simulator," Kaguya tells Kallen, working on hooking the head gear up to the computer. "Plus it's not really a training facility, you know? Some things we can test live, like you said. This... this is for testing weapon systems!"
[19:21] "I get it. Finding a good place for that must be troublesome," muses Kallen. "There aren't many places left where there's really room for proper training, after all... anyway, so it's basically a shooting gallery, right?"
[19:25] "You can move properly and everything, but the feeling is not the same," Kaguya says, entering the password into the computer after she finishes connecting everything. The screen shows a logo in the form of a content-looking cat, of all things, before resetting. Words in Japanese appear on it, and then freeze as Kaguya presses a button. "The system is ready whenever you are."
[19:27] "Interesting. Alright, let's see how it goes," remarks Kallen, pulling on the gloves, and then gingerly settling the helmet on her head, feeling a little bit claustrophobic for a moment.
[19:31] A girl's voice introduces itself as the operator as soon as the helmet is donned, and Kallen is taken in by vertigo as her vision shifts. Words slide across the screen, surrounding a Japanese flag, too fast for her to read in her disoriented state, only dimly aware of sitting down in the real world.
[19:31] "Setup complete," the operator announces, and Kallen's vision shifts yet again! She is floating meters above the ground, looking down at the landscape. It's Tokyo, her Tokyo, and Shinjuku is burning!

<--->

Corwin

<--->

The chair Kallen is sitting on is fairly rigid, but the accomodations are the least on her mind. She is in a spherical cockpit, its lower part fading away into shadow whenever she glances below. Her gaze doesn't stay fixated there long, however, as the displays of Tokyo burning capture her attention once more. Kallen moves one of her arms, and only then realizes they're holding onto the Knightmare's controls. As she moves, so does the Burai, taking a step ahead. It is steady; the cockpit's design protects Kallen from any aftershocks normally assosiated with such movement.

This full-body virtual reality is a bit different to what she's used to, that's for sure.

Tokyo's burning! The enemy must be upon her, so some kind of target must be close. Remembering how the controls work will only come if she starts using them, so she lets the landspinners hit the ground and takes off in a charge towards whatever awaits her!

There is the sensation of movement, but once Kallen looks away from the main viewer to glance at her controls she realizes it is an illusion, much like the sensation her mind would conjure up if she watched a movie filmed from a rollercoaster.

A tactical map comes into being. There are four green dots -- allies, Kallen can tell, and a congregation of menacing red nearby. Burai one through four are encircling the enemy units in Shibuya, if Kallen's not mistaken.

Outnumbered on their own ground- it doesn't speak well.

Kallen advances to join the other Burai in their encirclement, but takes it upon herself to find a position to get visual contact on the enemy. The buildings and smoke can surely provide cover, morbid as hiding behind flaming structural skeletons could be.

"Loading tactical advisor," the Operator's voice sound in Kallen's ears. A transparent overlay appears over the map, suggesting a route. It would take Kallen's Mark Five to a vantage point rather than to melee itself.

That doesn't suit Kallen. At least, it didn't suit Kallen. Her marskmanship isn't poor, but she was always best at close range!

Still, she has to use the machine as best as she can. There should be some switch that will display her loadout somewhere...

"Ikazuchi equipped," the Operator informs Kallen as she begins to flip switches. She's made it to her designated area, a rooftop overlooking the battlefield. Her fellow Burai are darting to and fro, using the buildings for cover. Britannians are circling the wagons rather literally, as Kallen realizes to her shock that all they have are armored vehicles and troops with anti-armor weaponry. A sight appears over Kallen's right eye as she contemplates the situation; one of the vehicles is being tagged as her target.

Aim at the target. Pull the trigger. Repeat. A volley for one vehicle and a few for the anti-armor units, but this really is a shooting gallery.

No, it's more like she's the invading Britannian, shooting at the technologically inferior Japanese who can't hope to stand up to her weapons and manoueverability.

Her hands fight against the recoil, the sight slipping. Keeping her wits, Kallen sees the vehicle she had been aiming for pierced by a beam of light. The armored carrier falls out of formation immediately, smoke rising from it.

"Charging," she hears, and a repeated squeeze of the trigger brings up a bar. Her weapon is only at fifteen percent, and it would take another minute until a full charge.

The Britannians below use the chance to respond, and Kallen sees the early warning system flash an ominous red. Shoulder-launched rockets are inbound, seven in number.

"You people invented lasers?" demands Kallen. She directs her knightmare to the side of the structure she's on and skids down between it and the neighbouring building, using her landspinners to brace the gap! Even if they're guided missiles, she'd like to see them track her through a wall.

The building takes the brunt of the impact, and Kallen's view shakes. She drops the remaining few feet to the ground and slides away as the ground behind her is peppered by falling cement.

Her fellow Burai are using this chance to assault the Britannians, she can tell from the tactical display. Another rooftop is designated as her next vantage point; Kallen could easily reach it with the help of her pair of slash harkens.

"Charging complete."

The enemy vehicles can't have gone far, if there are even any left. After this, she shouldn't even need to find a new location.

The harpoon-like harken jams itself into the roof of the next building, and a sense of slight vertigo soon follows as the knightmare pulls itself up without Kallen really moving with it.

Another of the vehicles is burning by the time Kallen had made it up. Two more remain; they're focusing their fire on the buildings around them, and the one Kallen had used for cover just then collapses, sending up a cloud of smoke that obscures the area.

It occurs to Kallen that if she was on ground level, she could probably get both of them with a single shot.

Of course, the risk of friendly fire involved isn't trivial, and she fires another bolt towards the nearest vehicle, letting the other Burai deal with the remainder.

The beam pushes the dust aside on its way down, and Kallen can see that she had missed. The near miss turns out to be enough, however, as the vehicle sags, its tires blown out.

"I would've hit that one," Kaguya's voice echoes in the Knightmare's cockpit.

"On your first run?" Kallen is tempted to say, but settles for "Is that it, then? No enemy knightmares?"

The monitors go black, leaving Kallen in darkness.

Taking off the helmet feels like a struggle, given the weight, but it's clearly preferable to being blind.

The first thing Kallen notices as the real world rushes in is that Kaguya is being scolded. Getting the gear off her head, Kallen discovers that they are no longer alone. Inoue is leaning against the doorframe, looking embarrassed. Akiha stands next to her, arms crossed over her chest. She is not the one lecturing Kaguya, however. That task is left to the room's owner.

Kallen has the grace to look slightly ashamed, though she feels obligated to intervene on Kaguya's behalf.

"Kujo-san? You're yelling at the wrong person," she admits, setting the bulky headpiece back on the bed.

"I don't yell," the woman says, dutifully directing her scolding gaze towards Kallen. "Now, who were you, again?"

"Kouzuki Kallen," she replies, standing straight. "Pardon the intrusion, but I just couldn't restrain myself."

"Yes," Kujo agrees scathingly. "The lock to the door for my private quarters, where my personal equipment is stored, adds nothing in the way of restraint. I understand that quite well. In fact, I've come to expect it in Kaguya--"

The younger girl exclaims an indignant "Hey!" but gets ignored by the purple-haired woman.

"Still, I've always held hope that once she got older she realized a few things about boundaries. The future you paint for me, Kouzuki, is quite dark indeed."

"Oh, I'm sure she'll do fine. Unlike me, she has role-models who are... clearly disciplined, even tidy sorts," replies Kallen, straightforwardly. "Sadly, I had to set my own boundaries. On the bright side, that's why I'm here at all."

Kujo cocks an eyebrow. "To clean my room?"

"It looks alright to me," replies Kallen, absently kicking a beer can under the bed.

"Then your job here is done," Kujo says in as clear a dismissal as Kallen had ever heard.

With barely another word and a bow, Kallen makes good on Kujo's demands.

Kaguya moves to follow, but Akiha snatches her effortlessly as she passes by, holding her up as the younger girl's feet dangle helplessly.

With a wave at Akiha, Inoue hobbles after Kallen. "Had enough excitement for the day?" she asks, siding up with the redhead. Kallen would need to slow down or Inoue might fall behind.

"Excitement? This was relaxation," replies Kallen, dropping her pace. "Did you have a nice chat?"

"It was alright," Inoue responds, sighing almost imperceptively in relief as Kallen's pace drops. "Akiha introduced me to her friend. I actually got invited for a few drinks just now, so now you know what I'm giving up for your sake."

"Ah, sorry. I'll treat you sometime to make up for it. You name the time and place."

"Sure, I'll take you up on it," Inoue agrees, smiling. "How about you two? From what I've seen of that girl, relaxation hardly describes any time spent with her."

"She's... well, she's a kid!" responds Kallen. "Walking around the base like she owns it, you'd think she's royalty or something, and she's got enough of a lip that I'd tell she's an army brat, even if we met topside. I like her."

"She's probably allowed places because her sister pilots Unit Four," Inoue muses. "Though Akiha looked pretty depressed when her parents were mentioned, so that could have something to do with it, too."

"I figured something like that was it. It's not like everyone's kid sister hangs around the resistance because they wanted to," replies Kallen.

Somewhere along the way, Inoue took over leading them, and now Kallen can see their destination -- a room with no denominations. "It's a guest room, of sorts," the bluette fills her in. "Kujo said visiting techs use it sometimes, and it's free now."

"Is the meeting tomorrow going to be at the same time as todays?" asks Kallen, punching the open button and stepping in as the doors slide away. "I'm hoping to catch a few people before it starts properly."

"It would be late morning, actually," Inoue reminds Kallen.

"Figures. We'll just have to try and get there early. It's just... a meeting like that, you can't discuss anything properly," mutters Kallen. "Not really."

"Getting there wouldn't be a problem," Inoue agrees. "Not from here. I doubt that anyone getting there tomorrow would still be wavering, though."

"Things are going to split," forecasts Kallen. "And then there will be two resistances. We're already fragmented, it's not much of a stretch."

"Because she's going to take some of the resistance with her no matter what, and there are those who would never make that extra step?" Inoue suggests. There is no elaboration on who 'she' is, nor is there need for it.

"Yes. It's not 'we should kill Clovis', it's 'you should help me, as I go to kill Clovis.' To tell the truth... I'd rather we didn't try at all. But if it's going to be like that, then..."

"Then what?" Inoue asks with a snort, closing the door behind her. The room is spartan, and has enough for two people to stay the night, and not much else. "We should just bow down because it's inevitable?"

"Then we're pretty much stuck supporting her, no matter what we do, aren't we?" points out Kallen. "We can't exactly turn around later and go 'oh, no, we don't support killing Clovis' as a resistance, and it's not like I care to keep him around because I like him."

<--->

Corwin

<--->

Inoue tries to respond several times, but stops herself. A pensive look comes over her as she sits down heavily. "We could do it first," she suggests.

"But I wanted to keep him alive because he's a load on the establishment," clarifies Kallen. "Even if we did kill him first, wouldn't the other gruops just see that as being.. childish?"

"It all depends on how we present it, right?" Inoue asks, shrugging. "Even if it's childish, as long as it's not a Britannian doing it, many would just overlook that fact. But I get what you're saying. You think that Clovis being alive is worth more to us in the short run, since everyone pretty much agrees he's got to go eventually, right?"

"That's right. It's because while he's alive, I can make contacts in the Britannian military more easily," replies Kallen. "With the information I can get from them, we could launch more effective strikes to take advantage of the current state of affairs, or even when the time comes to actually go after Clovis himself- in battle or out of it.

"That isn't all, either. It's an opportunity for nobles, too. If the Stadtfeld group grows, that's power I can contribute! If there are Japanese companies who aid the Britannians, then it's alright for the reverse to be true. I don't care if Brits call me a traitor in the end, anyway. But this part, I don't think everyone here would approve of."

"Yes," Inoue agrees, "and that's the heart of the matter. I know I'd be uncomfortable with arguing in favor of accepting help from a Brit company, and after calling you Japanese and everything just now. Those who don't know and would only see the surface? You'll never get their vote. They'll spit on you even as they take what they can."

Inoue grimaces as she grows silent. "What if we look at this from another angle?" the bluette suggests finally. "Mary's train of thought goes like this -- she wants recognition, and the shortcut to that is showing us a miracle. With me so far?"

"Yeah. For what it's worth, she can do it. And I think we could, too. Killing just one person isn't terribly miraculous, to me."

"He's not just any person." Inoue grimaces anew as she says this. "But you managed to hit the nail on its head. If killing one person works for Mary, as she slays the personification of Britannia's evils... does that person have to be Clovis?"

"No... no, he's just the highest-profile. He's not the only Brit leader. He's not even the one who antagonizes the Japanese the most," murmurs Kallen.

"Jeremiah Gottwald. The leader of the Purists. Wouldn't striking at him and delivering a real victory on the battlefield reproduce the Itsukushima miracle better than any shadowy assassination?"

"I get it. Following his death, there's a military scramble, made all the worse by Clovis' indecision. The homeland can't really step up to this- he's got to deal with it on his own to prove his worth. Or abdicate in shame.. he's too vain, isn't he? He'd be known as the Coward Prince."

Kallen starts tapping her finger against the table. "The Purists account for about a third of the Knightmares in Britannia, as well as the regular army. Assuming we know where they're going, what sort of odds do you give us?"

"Us?" Inoue raises her eyebrows. "About zero. We could handle an assassination, because we have the means for it. But meeting elite Knightmares in combat? That's not something our group can accomplish with the resources it has. Not alone, at least." She smirks. "But if instead of going head-on against Mary's plan we push for an amendment like that, and we gain popular support for it, we'll end up staying in the loop, don't you think?"

"I don't like how we need to keep up to her tempo. But this is preferable to a dead governor," admits Kallen. "Most of all, I don't want the rebellion to fight itself. Everything would crumble if that happened.

"As for Clovis, I don't want him killed under his bed. He should either fall in battle, or be outright dragged out of his chambers and thrown to a mob. When we take him down, it should be a show of raw force. There's no better way to make a statement about royalty."

Inoue gives Kallen a hooded stare. "Clovis. Die in battle?"

"I'm counting on his pride to drag him out eventually," mutters Kallen. "But I agree that in the future, he has to go, no matter what the means."

"The other option was no better," Inoue continues, ignoring Kallen's mutterings. "A mob lynching, now there's a way to show you're in the right and gain support." She grins immediately. "Don't get me wrong. I won't complain much. Just... bad for the cause, I think."

"This is a revolution we're plotting, not some kind of peaceful transition. In the end, I agree with a lot of what Mary said, after all."

"The most controversial thing about Mary, aside from Mary herself," Inoue says, referring to the young woman's heritage, "is her disrespectful attitude. Not what she seeks for Japan, not really."

"I don't care about that. She doesn't have a choice but to act like that if she wants to be heard."

Inoue doesn't argue with that statement.

Kallen gets up, only to walk a few paces and fall over on her bed. "I can't like her yet, though."

"I'm sure she would be heartbroken over that," Inoue says sarcastically.

"Be sure to tell her what she's missing out on."

Inoue grins in response. "And share? I don't think so."

<--->

Corwin

<--->

As Kallen finds herself waking up, the first thing that comes to mind is a vague sense of pain. Only as her head clears does she realize that it doesn't belong to her; while still in recovery in some ways, her body feels great.

The next thing she thinks of, inexplicably, is that Inoue doesn't snore. The bluette seems to defy her expectations in that regard.

Not that it would matter if she did- with her current rate of activity, Kallen has already mastered the ability to falling asleep the second her head touches the pillow. Rest is a savoured treat, one which must be preserved at all costs!

Jumping to her feet, she takes a quick shower and gets dressed in her usual outfit, no-doubt clashing with the military sorts all over the base, and briefly checks on how awake Inoue is.

Inoue has yet to wake up, but it's still early enough in the morning that Kallen can let her lie in. It's barely ten past six when she exits the nearby shower.

Stepping out of their borrowed quarters, Kallen pauses for a bit before heading for the mess hall, assuming that's where any other early birds can be found at this time.

She doesn't encounter anyone along the way. The mess hall itself has several technicians present, sullenly eating their food. They don't look like they've slept that night.

Perhaps they aren't the most approchable bunch, but that won't deter Kallen from grabbing some cereal and taking a seat nearby, eventually inquring about if, and where, General Toudou might be found in the morning.

Getting food is easy enough. Getting answers is slightly more complicated. Anyone she approaches claims to not know, although some use it an excuse to maintain their zombie-like behavior.

Just as she is getting frustrated with the lackluster response her query gets, a uniformed man enters the mess hall. It is Asahina, Kallen easily recognizes, one of the Four Holy Swords. He gathers his breakfast, and takes a free seat opposite Kallen, beginning to eat.

"Good morning, Asahina-san," greets Kallen, simultaneously respectful yet somehow familiar in tone. "Do you know if I can speak to the general before the meeting starts today?"

"What is it that you have to tell Todo-san?" Asahina asks somewhat curiously, pausing in his eating.

"It's an dillema," replies Kallen, pausing, and lowering her voice a little. "Um. On how we should proceed in the future. Not just tactically speaking, but ethically. We can't fight straightforwardly, so how should we conduct ourselves? Right now, we have the means to deal a strong blow to Britannia within our hands, but how and where should it be delivered? That's what I want to ask. I have my own ideas, but..."

She pauses for a moment, and frowns. "But I think a general has a better view of things than me. The meeting hall isn't the best place for a calm discussion..."

"The means you've acquired?"

"That.. virus.. was not the only weapon we acquired," replies Kallen, pursing her lips. "We also possess nerve gas and complementary innoculations. With them, there are many places we can strike, whist leaving equipment intact for the taking. A few well-placed raids, and our effectiveness can greatly expand."

Asahina returns to his breakfast, the next minute passing in silent contemplation.

"I expect that Todo-san will meet with your delegation before the meeting," the bespectacled man says eventually, not raising his eyes to meet Kallen's.

"Understood," replies Kallen, not letting the man's shift in demeanour slip by her.

Asahina keeps to himself after that, and though the pace he eats is hardly hurried, it feels that way to Kallen. Once he is finished, he leaves, acknowledging her with a brief nod.

When Kallen returns to the guest room allocated to Inoue and she, the bluette has already risen. Bleary-eyed, she glares at Kallen as the latter enters, before returning her baleful stare to her watch, hanging precariously by a strap from her left hand.

"I don't deserve that look," complains Kallen, dropping onto her own bed. "You'd better get dressed, though, we're expecting visitors.

"I hate you," Inoue states, making Kallen wonder briefly whom she is addressing. Nevertheless, she begins to move about lethargically.

"I asked to speak with General Todo before the meeting," she continues, flipping open her civilian phone and checking it for messages. "Sorry if it's a pain. But there's probably no other opportunity, and since once you get in that room, it's all 'shut up, Britannian!' or 'you're all cowards!'..."

No one desperately sought Kallen out over the night.

"No problem," Inoue grumbles. "We'll just convert him to our side, whatever it might be. Peace of cake."

"We can't defeat Britannia head on. So we'll take what they have and use it against them. That's how we can win this kind of war," replies Kallen, snapping it shut. "It's what forms the core of my strategy, since it's not enough to just produce our own material. There's our side."

There is a knock at the door. "Are you awake?" Akiha's voice carries over. It sounds more like a formality; there is no sense of questioning in her voice.

"Yes, just a second," replies Kallen, giving Inoue a few seconds to get decent before opening the door.

"I'm good," Inoue says, looking presentable. She's loud enough that Akiha takes it as her sign to enter.

The older redhead is not dressed in her uniform. Rather, she wears a skirt that goes past her knees, and an equally modest red blouse. "It seems that it is my duty to play guide for you two, today," she says, prompting Inoue to roll her eyes exaggeratedly.

"Come to Tokyo, we'll return the favour sometime," replies Kallen, grabbing her shoulder-bag and heading through the door. "Where're we going?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Akiha says, and though she keeps her voice light Kallen senses there's more to her words. The pilot redirects her attention towards Inoue in the meantime, a palpable sense of awkwardness emanating from her. "Can you actually walk on your own already?"

"Of course!" the bluette exclaims. The pregnant pause between the question and her answer reveals the truth, however.

"So let's go already, then," replies Kallen, grabbing Inoue's hand anyway and stepping outside.

"And I can believe quite a bit, trust me," she adds, not even remotely joking.

Akiha leads the two to the surface, and over time Inoue comes to lean more and more on Kallen. The route they take is different to the exit through the museum and, thankfully, contains an elevator. A limousine awaits outside, a chauffeur standing at the ready next to it. He opens the door as the trio approaches, and Akiha steps inside gracefully, acknowledging the man with a brief nod.

Kallen slips inside as well, finding it all too similar to going to work back in Tokyo. But at least this time, someone else foots the bill?

Either way, it's true she didn't expect this kind of delivery.

Inoue follows with Kallen's help, not looking too pleased. Akiha notices, but waits for the chauffeur to close the door behind them and get in the driver's seat. When he starts the engine, nodding at her in the rearview mirror, she raises the screen between them and says, "Hiding in plain sight is a necessity here, I'm afraid."

The limousine takes off.

"Sure you didn't want us to dress up? Seems fancy," remarks Kallen, leaning back in the chair.

Akiha smiles pleasantly, and waits with her hands folded in her lap. She gives off an entirely different image from yesterday, now, making Kallen compare her to the few rich heiresses she has been briefly introduced to in the past. Today's Tohno Akiha would feel right in, perhaps even edging some of them out.

Inoue scowls. "So where are we going?" she asks, straight and to the point. "Maybe we really should stop somewhere and I'll dress up."

"Our destination is the Pendragon. We won't be staying there long enough to warrant fancy clothing, however," she responds.

Things make more sense to Kallen, now. Indeed, a limousine would be the best camouflage when going to the most expensive Britannian hotel in Kyoto. As long as they never leave its confines, that is.

Which brings the question of who they're going to see into clear view.

Watching Akiha, Kallen remembers feeling so awkward around those other girls, and at the time pretending sickness seemed the best way to get out of having to interact with them  beyond the minimum.

It is hardly a surprise to either girl from Shinjuku when the limousine pulls over next to the hotel, and they see a familiar woman approach. Suzaku is by her side, dressed garishly as a manservant. He opens the door for Mary, who climbs inside to claim a seat by Akiha's side. A glare at Kallen makes his true feelings towards her known, but then the boy closes the car's door and climbs into the front seat.

No one speaks, at first, but before the silence can get oppressive Mary takes the initiative with a simple, "Good morning." She is calm and composed, but that is only what Kallen can tell from her expression and the way she carries herself. Mary's true feelings are a black box, to her.

Maybe it's possible for people to hide them from her, if they try hard enough. Or maybe Mary's special, like Lucille.

The thought sends a chill down Kallen's spine, but she doesn't let it show when she returns the greeting, trying to focus her Geass-given senses on Mary nonetheless. "Morning. I was wondering if I'd be able to see you before the circus begins anew," she replies.

Mary remains unreadable to her senses, appearing not to notice Kallen's scrutiny.

"A circus is a good way of putting it," the raven-haired woman agrees, inclining her head slightly. "I've made a point of paying a visit to those hidden amongst the sheep that had a mind of their own. Does it surprise you that you two would be on that list?"

"Flattery will get you everywhere," remarks Kallen. "Some of us are in positions that demand a choice." There's not much point continuing to try, if results haven't been earned just yet, and Kallen leans back in her seat.

"Well, I agree with what part of what you said, anyway. A defensive outlook is just slow death."

"Excellent," Mary responds to that. "Then we already share common ground. How can we expand it?"

"Negotiating by the book, hmm?" remarks Kallen, with a slight grin. "Alright. Even with that attitude, though, it's an undeniable fact that our forces are just too small. Supplies, manpower, training, logistics, every step is a struggle to overcome.

"The Britannian forces, however, are able to fly their flag at bases all over the country, to say nothing of the greater army on other continents. How can we oppose the world's only superpower, just as we are?"

Mary starts to respond, a whimsical smile appearing on her lips, before she stops. Kallen can practically taste the confusion from Inoue and Akiha alike, the latter concealing it far better, as the silence stretches on.

"By creating the world's other superpower to oppose it," Mary finally says quietly. "It can be done. That man took Britannia, and made it happen. All those disenfrenchized, those dissatisfied with the world he left in his wake... I will take them all, and forge them into a weapon to strike him down."

As that time during the meeting, Kallen is once again struck with just how much such absurd, insane words sound plausible, when spoken by Mary.

Kallen lets out a long breath. "I understand, now. Where we differ," she responds, steepling her hands. "It's my goal to free Japan. Destroying the emperor, destroying Britannia itself- that's a means to me at most, not an end. But for you it's the opposite..."

She looks up at Mary again. "Am I right?"

"The two are one and the same, and any division between them fake and artificial," Mary insists. Her eyes focus on Kallen to the exclusion of all else, capturing the redhead's gaze. "The Emperor is a man of great pride. If he cannot have Japan, he will sear it with fire and salt the ashes. Along with all the colonists, if he has to!"

Mary's voice rises suddenly, and there is a knock from the other side of the sliding screen. Kallen is peripherally aware of Akiha taking hold of a phone and talking on it.

"You think you can free Japan and live happily ever after as the world's only superpower, in your very words, licks its wounds and is shamed on the global arena? As it is deprived of a massive amount of Sakuradite? As such a free nation appears on the border of one of its enemies, in a strategic position Britannia had lost? Think over that, and tell me our goals are opposite!"

"Not while the Emperor still reigns," agrees Kallen. "What would Britannia without him look like, I wonder? Especially if he's toppled by other Britannians, rather than a foreign power, against whom revenge must be taken..."

She meets Mary's stare head-on. "But you're right. Without something like that, one fits into the other. Killing a prince is a symbolic victory, one that can spark a fire! But such an act will bring inevitable retribution, and I won't martyr our rebellion for the sake of the world. When Clovis is killed, we'll have more than knives in the dark to back up our will! I'm not like the JLF, preaching resistance for seven years... whilst standing still.

"The way things are, the current climate, in the wake of Akihabara... I can use it to get everything we need to wage war. Money. Sakuradite. Weapons. Everything. Kill Clovis now, and I guarantee, that chance will be lost. It's his weakness that makes it possible!"

<--->

Corwin

<--->

"We cannot match Britannia soldier for soldier, Knightmare for Knightmare," Mary states, her expression relaxing. Her posture remains rigid, suggesting she might not be as calm as she seems. "If anything, you might only gain that very interest of Britannia you wished to avoid if you collect enough resources for them to pause and take notice. Doesn't that make your goals contradictory, then?"

"I don't think so. Guerilla warfare can hurt, but it can't dislodge Britannia alone, not on the scale of just Japan... and certainly not on a multinational basis. At some point, we must come forward with enough raw muscle to contest their dominion.

"Thanks to the present state, it's possible for me to put together these resources under the front of a Britannian company. The scale'll not be noticed until the right moment. In the meantime, the lack of coordination in the military faciliates ongoing covert strikes."

"And how would that go?" Akiha seems surprised that she's voiced her thoughts out loud, but her gaze on Kallen doesn't waver. "It's easy to think that just taking over a Britannian company would be enough to turn the tide of the war, but they're neither omnipotent nor all that easy to control."

"It hinges on taking advantage of two factors; the loyalty of top staff to their employers and pockets instead of the crown, and the greviances of those Britannians who have been spurned by their nation."

"The point raised is a valid one," Mary presses on. "Even if the latter turned to be true, and maintaining control of a company in this way was true, what about the former? I could see using Britannian firms as a stepping stone to victory, but to actually bet the success or failure of the struggle upon one?"

Kallen wipes her bangs for a moment, feeling a bead of sweat drop down her forehead.

"Fair enough. It is a lot to ask before producing something tangible," admits Kallen. "I don't know your plan to kill Clovis. Does it have an expiry date? I need a couple of months to put the infrastructure in place, but that would be the hardest part. Afterwards..."

"It's not a matter of expiry dates, I'm afraid," Mary says firmly. "There is a window of opportunity, but the more time passes, the more likely it is to close, the more chances Britannia has to adapt."

Inoue seems surprised, Kallen notices.

"If anything, I would've thought now is the hardest time to attempt something like that."

"It is," Mary responds instantly, "which also makes it the best time, you realize."

"What is it you're actually trying to accomplish by asassinating him?"

"It is not just the elimination of a criminal," Mary says at length. "That is important, as is proving that it can be done. But the manner in which Clovis would be executed is just as important, if not more so. Clovis is a stepping stone, while my real targets are Cornelia and Schneizel."

The second prince and second princess. Kallen knows of them, of course -- who doesn't? But she'd never heard their names spoken with such an intense, peculiar mix of emotion, of admiration and hatred all at once.

They don't arouse any particular emotion in Kallen, apart from a slight apprehension due to their respective reputations. Excellent generals both, admired throughout the empire...

"Are they stepping stones to the Emperor, as you'd put it?"

Mary gives her a curt nod.

"Disregarding the first princess I can understand," Akiha voices. "But what about the first prince? Even if his reputation is right on the mark, unlike her, he holds an important role in the Britannian chain of command. Wouldn't getting to him be just as effective?"

This time, Mary shakes her head. "Actual status is irrelevant, here. Cornelia and Schneizel are both the true threats, and the favored children of the Emperor. He would not care if others died, but with those two...." She trails off, an unreadable expression on her face.

Akiha settles back into the comfortable seats, appearing satisfied with the explanation. There's also curiousity, hidden below the surface, but she keeps it closely under wraps; Kallen doubts anyone beside her would have picked up on that.

"Their reputations speak for themselves," murmurs Kallen, glancing briefly at Inoue and trailing off for a moment herself. She can't seperate her thoughts from Nunnally and Lelouch; talking about the royal family cannot help but bring them to mind. What would they think of murdering their siblings?

Nunnally would probably hate it, but if you follow Lelouch's hatred for nobility to the obvious conclusion...

"The plan, then, would be to deal with them in a similar fashion when they arrive?"

"The same trick won't work twice," Mary responds. "An escalation would be in order. But details aside, yes. Their deaths would demoralize the Briannian military ranks and command, and draw out our real enemy. That's not the entire plan of action; we can't believe that assassinations alone are enough. But they are at the core of the plan, for without them, Japan will never be free."

"The Chinese had thirty-six strategems for conflict; the thirtieth; 'Make the host and guest exchange roles'," replies Kallen, after a moment. "The other advantage to my position is the ability to influence the upper strata of society. That's why deposing Clovis via embarrasment appeals; from the royalty, governership would surely go to the nobility; another step closer to where it can be influenced. To me that's the better idea; to twist them from within whilst building up in secret. Then we can turn things over in one stroke, and be ready to defend against any follow-up assault.

"Still, if we went by your way, in what ways would a Britannian firm be most helpful to the cause? With the proper time and resources, I can arrange for Knightmare R&D, as well as production."

Mary doesn't immediately speak, choosing to subject Kallen to undisguised scrutiny.

"Are you implying what I think you are?" she asks when the silence begins to feel uncomfortable. Her next question marks the first as rhetorical, asked for the sake of needing to vocalize it. "And are you in a position to seize power in that moment of vacuum?"

"Yes."

Inoue is distinctly uncomfortable with the discussion, Kallen acutely feels.

Mary supports her chin with a hand, deeply in thought. "In that case, you should support Clovis's assassination," she declares at last with an air of authority. "Embarrassed royals tend to lash out, especially incompetent mediocrities such as he. You couldn't maneuver into position without alerting him to something, and he wouldn't need much reason to make you feel his wrath. Better that you position yourself into the right spot without appearing to provide an alternative option to him, and then slide in naturally into the vacancy once the strike on Clovis takes place. You would be the only one to know of the timing and the means, and as such, the one most prepared."

"So what would the means and time be, then?" replies Kallen. "If Cornelia or Schneizel choose to intervene after his death..."

"We want them to," Mary interjects, biting on her thumb. "But it's alright. They're arrogant enough to leave you a chance. Cornelia doesn't care about anything beyond charging out into the field blindly, and governship would be beneath her. Schneizel would prefer plotting in the background, anyway, so he's no threat in this area."

"If I can ask... did you know them personally?" asks Kallen, thinking about Mary's words.

If what she says is true, it's actually ideal. If she became governor and the royals appeared anyway, then they'd certainly have to confer with Kallen at some point... and that would be that. It sounds so nice in theory.

Mary leans back, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "You can ask," she responds, and there seems to be a smirk playing across her lips.

"Even Toudou-san would not go along with such a plan," Akiha speaks. She sounds antsy.

"Make the host and guest exchange roles," Mary repeats Kallen's earlier words. "It's an interesting approach to defeating Britannia, isn't it?"

"By becoming it?!" Akiha exclaims, pretenses of propriety gone.

"Just as we've taken their Knightmares for our own," Mary says with a meaningful glance at the older redhead, which silences her immediately.

"But Akiha-san has a point," replies Kallen. "The JLF is overwhelmingly unlikely to accept this kind of plan without some assurance that we're on the level, and what could be enough?"

"Was the JLF aware of your original plans?" Mary asks curiously.

"No... I wanted to show my worth before coming forward with them publically," replies Kallen, seriously. "It feels rich to ask people to trust me without any results."

Mary smiles at that. "Then isn't your question already answered? There is little need to reveal every detail of the plan to the JLF at this point. As for sufficient results, those would be assassinating the well-protected Clovis and seizing power, even under Britannian auspices and limitations."

"So. How do you propose to do that, then?" asks Kallen, after a moment.

"We play it by ear at the meeting," Mary responds. "Working together is the important part. There is no need to present a unified front. In fact, it might help to have discord in the Britannian contingent of the resistance, wouldn't you say?"

"I don't like that. It's one thing to deceive Britannians, but this is something else," replies Kallen, frowning.

"I suppose it is deception," Mary admits. "But knowing some of them, they would prefer to go against common sense if it meant avoiding siding with Britannians. By conveniently grouping ourselves together on a single side, we might well be signing their death warrants as they prefer to do something reckless on their own instead."

Inoue snorts here. "Something reckless. Unlike, say, taking over Japan and killing royalty."

"Unlike that," Mary agrees.

"I don't think there's any completely rationale means of achieving our goals," admits Kallen. "If someone comes up with one, though, I'll be sure to listen."

"Opposing each other now could lead to problems further down the track as it is, anyway. There's already enough room for misunderstanding without inflating it," adds Kallen, with a shrug.

"True enough," Mary acknowledges, though Kallen detects a note of reluctance in her voice. "Perhaps we can present the results quickly enough to sway all but the blind."

Before anyone does anything 'reckless', it goes unsaid.

It wouldn't be a problem if Kallen used her Geass on the most vocal elements. Which would neatly trivialize her issues with merely lying to her comrades. Opposing Britannia seemed so much simpler when she didn't have to actually figure out how.

"Then we'll meet again in a few hours, I suppose. Out of curiosity, who else have you spoken to?"

"I've tried to meet with the highly-ranked officers," Mary responds. "Some were more practical than others. And, of course, with all the groups from the greater Tokyo area."

It is a curt answer, but it covers Kallen's question adequately. The redhead chooses not to press, perhaps because her mind is still preoccupied with the conversation that took place just then. As such, she doesn't notice the limousine had stopped until the door is opening on Inoue's side.

"End of the line," Akiha says, smiling at the pair from Shinjuku. "We could either swing by to collect you in a few, or you could get to the meeting spot on your own. Which is it?"

The car is in downtown Kyoto, Kallen guesses. It wouldn't be impossible to reach the museum on foot from here.

"Is there an option that doesn't involve a gigantic ladder?"

"Be here half an hour in advance, then," Akiha returns.

Inoue nods, and climbs outside.

"I planned to speak with Toudou-san before the meeting began," adds Kallen, quickly. "Will that still be possible? This was rather longer than expected."

"I'll pass it on," Akiha promises.

Mary moves past her, and a surprised expression briefly crosses the older redhead's face. "We were going to take you back--" she begins, but Mary waves her off.

"I could use a walk. Don't worry about me, I'll be there on time."

<--->

Corwin

<--->

The limousine drives off. Mary's eyes linger on it until it turns a corner and drives out of sight, and then she walks away herself, heading towards a cafe.

"Sounds like we have a few hours to kill," Inoue muses. She finds a bench nearby, limpting towards it and seating herself. "Might as well do it here rather than some dank place underground."

The wait seems longer than it is, but that could be due to Kallen checking the time every few minutes. Exactly thirty four minutes before the meeting is slated to start, a car pulls over by the roadside, an off white, aged Honda. There is only one person in the car, Kallen can see upon approaching it. Toudou is sitting behind the driver's wheel.

"The two of you asked to speak to me beforehand?" he states curtly, as Inoue's eyes widen in surprise.

"Ah, yes," replies Kallen, somehow falling into a detached persona that seems to be worming it's way into most of her conversations, lately.

"I should've caught you after the meeting yesterday, sorry about making you come out like this. Shall we get in?"

"I needed to clear my head," he says, gesturing for the door. Inoue takes the invitation, sliding into the back seat. "This was along the way."

"I'm afraid all I'm going to do is fill it again," replies Kallen, getting in alongside Inoue and closing the door behind her.

"We don't have much time before the meeting proper starts again, so I'll get straight to the point. The night of Akihabara had several outcomes, and one that's yet to make it's impact involves a stolen weapon. It isn't yet widely known, but we current possess a significant quantity of lethal nerve gas, as well as a corresponding vaccine."

Toudou nods. The car merges with the morning traffic.

"As Kallen's said, it's tactically significant--" Inoue starts to say when he remains silent, but that is when Toudou speaks again.

"We are aware of that."

"We're not generals," replies Kallen, after a beat. "We're fighters. This stuff is ready to go wherever we need it. I'd thought to target the resources of the Purist faction. By nature, it's perfectly suited for- well, stealing more gear, but on a larger scale. How feasible is this?"

"Unless you have vastly more of the nerve gas than we were lead to believe, such a large scale operation would not be sustainable," Toudou responds. "Also, the weapon's effectiveness would drop considerably with each useage, unless all the surgical strikes went through simultaneously."

"We have enough to decapitate the head of their forces. It's not a feat to be repeated, since our supply is limited," replies Kallen. "But they're responsible for many of the Knightmares, here! If we at least targeted the hangars and service areas, it's a one-time opportunity to boost our capabilities."

"That would definitely alter the status quo, moving us forward by definition," Toudou agrees. "If this strike succeeded, of course. Having a disproportionate amount of Knightmares means enough can protect themselves in time and oppose us, and being zealots they disdain staying near anything Japanese. Their true bases lie in the heart of the Britannian settlements, the guard on them second only to the Governor's palace."

"Would you consider making it happen? It's the best use I can think of," replies Kallen. "Other targets don't really have the strategic value that warrants the opportunities we can get, and I'm confident the gas can be smuggled in."

Toudou doesn't react outwardly, but Kallen notices a shift in him. The general is feeling curious, mild traces of confusion and admiration following far behind.

"Smuggling enough of the gas into position on the high-security base of Britannian racists who loathe the Japanese seems like the hardest part of this operation," Toudou notes. "What exactly are you having trouble with, then?"

"As for getting the gas in, well, that's espionage. Getting our people in and out? That's as straight-up a war scene as you get."

"We could help with the planning," Toudou says, and Kallen can almost hear him think. "Organize a diversion to distract any pursuers. Arrange for safe houses and storage facilities."

Inoue looks uplifted, but his next words cause her smile to slip.

"We can't, however, do more or actually intervene without taking control of this operation."

"Personel is out of the question? What about training? We need pilots, or we can't get this off the ground," replies Kallen, glancing at Inoue.

Inoue rolls her eyes, while Toudou nods slowly.

"Training is quite possible for any paramilitary groups aligned with the JLF," he proceeds to say. The implication is quite clear that should the Shinjuku group fall out of alignment, that offer would be off the table.

"Right. I guess there's no point discussing it further until the meeting plays out," remarks Kallen, leaning back. "But speaking of that, I wanted to ask where you think the resistance needs to go from now, in more general terms. I don't think I'm the only curious one, here."

"The Japanese Liberation Front," Toudou responds, his grip tightening slightly around the steering wheel. "We call it that, but really, most see it as a resistance, much like yourself. That has to change, before it becomes so entrenched in people's minds and hearts, that even victory delivered on a silver platter no longer makes a difference."

She feels a bit heated at that for a moment, and she isn't sure why. It's a sudden impulse of frustration, and she remembers feeling this way a few months ago. Just a few months ago, when life didn't quite feel as hopeful- and as dangerous- as it does now.

"..yeah, sorry. I haven't forgotten the goal," she declares. "That's why we need to make progress soon! Six years was a long enough time to wait."

"We have several opportunities at the moment," Toudou agrees. "It is a matter of picking the right one, because making the wrong choice here might be tantamount to the death of a free Japan."

"And how will we know the wrong choice when see it?"

"If it were that easy, would you be asking me that?"

"Well, you are the man of miracles," replies Kallen. "I guess that's a name one might get sick of, though," she adds, with a slight grin.

Inoue looks mildly scandalized, but Toudou merely raises an eyebrow, visible through the rearview mirror.

"Tactics and strategy are two different things. This distinction is where the expression of having won the battle but lost the war comes from."

"That so. Well, right now, if we lose one battle, I'd bet the war follows," replies Kallen, turning to face old Kyoto, where the Japanese culture she barely remembers lies on display for prideful tourists. Any Brit here is a tourist, even if they claim to live here.

"Wouldn't be doing this to start if I didn't think we had a good shot, though."

Toudou nods. "True enough. The decision is ultimately not mine, however. All I can do is pass the proposal along with my own thoughts."

"Dare I ask who decides our fate?"

"Kyoto, right?" Inoue asks, and she doesn't seem to be talking about the city. Toudou nods once more.

The general lapses into silence, and Inoue is happy to accomodate him, as is Kallen. The car takes several turns, all innocuous, until one takes it into a one-way street. Toudou activates a garage door by remote, and steers the vehicle indoors. The door lowers back, and then Kallen feels a light jolt. The floor moves; they are in a freight elevator currently lowering itself below the ground.

The ingenuity of Japanese engineers in building an entire secret base beneath the streets of Kyoto on the sly never ceases to amaze Kallen, and she says as much to Inoue.

"Last place anyone would look, right?" Inoue responds with a shrug. She's trying to act casual, but Kallen can easily tell that the bluette is quite impressed herself. "Necessity is the mother of invention, or so I heard."

As long as there's not an earthquake, but Kallen chooses to keep that particular cheerful thought to herself.

<--->