News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random manga chatter

Started by Dracos, May 12, 2011, 05:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

I just found out that A-Zone #1-#2 were translated, and went off to read them. They're some very old Sailor Moon doujinshi by the guy who eventually did Azumanga & Yotsuba. They're also hilarious (so is #4).

It's nice because although A-Zone #4 had been translated for years, nobody seemed interested in translating the rest. To be fair, A-Zone #1/2 and #5 are also SM doujins (rest of A-zone involves different series) and are still untranslated, but oh well.

If you want to read them online (link above only has first two and as zip files), they can be found in g.e-hentai, though as can be guessed from the site name, it's NSFW site (note that A-zone itself is non-H). If you don't care though, then links are in the spoiler below~

On a different note, I found it amusing that Bartender had updated the day after Grahf posted about it being abandoned.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Re: Koizumu Manga
They were really riding the Absurdity as Entertainment level high to finish off the original series.  Psychic Super Saiyajin quantum-dimensional mah jong players dishing it out with nuclear mah jong tiles with the fate of the planet riding on it really don't leave much room for playing to a higher tier of absuridity.

What are they going to do, go into space?  Wait, they already did.

So I suspect nazis won't return and instead of going the route they were (Epic Mahjong rises higher) they'll instead go "the growth of a new generation".
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Negima
http://www.mangareader.net/mahou-sensei-negima/351/7

It really is nostalgic, isn't it? They could do a three or four chapter fast forward and end the series here. I'd be sad to see it go, but it wouldn't be a bad ending.

Also props to the panel layout and art on the next few pages. It's just two people having a conversation while the world moves around them, but damn if it isn't well done. It's such a joy to see someone use the panels effectively. Especially considering some of the stuff I've muddled through recently.

Web comics, DC, Marvel; I'm giving you mad side-eye right now.

Oh! And Umi no Misaki updated, if anyone other than me is reading that one.

Uldihaa

Negima is a (mostly ;) ) shonen fighting series done right. The characters grow as people, not just stronger/tougher/cooler. These characters are nothing like what they were before the 'Maharu Fetival' arc, and they continued to change through every arc they were involved in. Too many shonen series substitute 'getting stronger' for 'charcter developement and growth'. I'm really going to miss this one when it ends, something I can only say about one other shonen fighting series; and I'm not as fond of that one as I am Negima. Every other series I'll be happy to see finally end.

Speaking of ends, Bleach is entering it's last arc; take note that there is no official estimation of how long it will actually take. Please keep in mind that the Arrancar Arc took almost 5 years, so I expect it to take at least 3 years.
Tori: ???
Tori: Huh? How did my [love] confession turn into a declaration of world domination?
Masazumi: THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

Muphrid

Quote from: thepanda on January 31, 2012, 03:15:41 AM
Negima
http://www.mangareader.net/mahou-sensei-negima/351/7

It really is nostalgic, isn't it? They could do a three or four chapter fast forward and end the series here. I'd be sad to see it go, but it wouldn't be a bad ending.

Also props to the panel layout and art on the next few pages. It's just two people having a conversation while the world moves around them, but damn if it isn't well done. It's such a joy to see someone use the panels effectively. Especially considering some of the stuff I've muddled through recently.

Honestly, if Negima goes on for much, much longer, it will feel to me like Akamatsu missed an opportunity to end it spectacularly.  I know I've heard he felt like Negima was only 3/4 of the way done or so, but call me crazy for thinking everything since the end of the Magic World arc has felt like a prolonged epilogue.

Maybe that's me, though.  This is the first time since I started reading Negima in real time that I've hit a bridging time between arcs, so it may just be weekly impatience.  Akamatsu could have something amazing up his sleeve to follow.  I just can't even imagine what that might be.

thepanda

QuoteHonestly, if Negima goes on for much, much longer, it will feel to me like Akamatsu missed an opportunity to end it spectacularly.  I know I've heard he felt like Negima was only 3/4 of the way done or so, but call me crazy for thinking everything since the end of the Magic World arc has felt like a prolonged epilogue.

As I understand it, the arc was purposely structured that way because of the movie, which is suppose to act as "the very definite end of the animatedverse" or something like that.

thepanda

Why are there so many versions of MAOYUU MAOU YUUSHA?!

Dracos

Isn't there just 2?

The real one?  The farce one?
Well, Goodbye.

Uldihaa

QuoteHonestly, if Negima goes on for much, much longer, it will feel to me like Akamatsu missed an opportunity to end it spectacularly.  I know I've heard he felt like Negima was only 3/4 of the way done or so, but call me crazy for thinking everything since the end of the Magic World arc has felt like a prolonged epilogue.

And it looks like you were right on the money. Negima to end in three more chapters. I wonder what he plans to do after this? Other than take a year or so off and rest, I mean.
Tori: ???
Tori: Huh? How did my [love] confession turn into a declaration of world domination?
Masazumi: THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

Muphrid

And now, color me surprised.  I thought for sure there would be a final arc where Negi actually finds his father--not an illusion, not a specter of a dying mage trying to toy with him or a last memory of something that did happen.  If none of that is resolved (and I don't see how it can be in 3 chapters), I guess we'll know it was the journey, not the finding itself, that was the point all along.  Not a bad message, but still.

I guess it makes that Ranma/Negima crossover I'd been thinking about a lot more viable, at any rate.

thepanda

Quote from: Dracos on February 03, 2012, 03:58:23 AM
Isn't there just 2?

The real one?  The farce one?

Mangafox has three, four if you count the 4-koma. And I know there is at least one spinoff that follows the mage instead of Hero.

Empyrean

Quote from: thepanda on February 03, 2012, 02:43:37 AM
Why are there so many versions of MAOYUU MAOU YUUSHA?!

They're being published in different magazines and drawn by different artists.  I know of at least three versions, plus the 4-koma and the light novels.  It was originally posted on 2chan and was very well received, so the light novels and various manga adaptations were published after that.

Brian

Finally finished reading the last volume of Yakitatte! Japan.

...I think it's time to write a fic.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

Itagaki's genius awakens! Saeki has no chance for victory!

*hurls*

Goddammit, Ippo.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Boo Itakagi.  Ruining the manga. ;_;

I don't even like Saeki, and it's just mean what's being done to him.  And Itakagi is supposed to be one of the protagonists?  Screw him.
Well, Goodbye.