Main Menu

048.4 Arachiel and Whurric

Started by Corwin, June 30, 2011, 06:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[22:17] <Kotono> roll 1d100+20
[22:17] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100+20 and gets 112." [1d100=92]
[22:17] <Kotono> roll 1d100 subtables time
[22:17] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 subtables time and gets 98." [1d100=98]
[22:23] <Kotono> As Arachiel walks down the street, a few blocks from Whimsical Sweets...OOC: Make a listen check, Arachiel?
[22:27] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+12
[22:27] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+12 and gets 16." [1d20=4]
[22:27] <Arachiel> OOC: Roll for bear too?
[22:29] <Kotono> OOC: Sure.
[22:31] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+4 Bear
[22:31] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+4 Bear and gets 12." [1d20=8]
[22:31] <Kotono> roll 1d20+13 flatfooted AC, Arachiel?
[22:31] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+13 flatfooted AC, Arachiel? and gets 26." [1d20=13]
[22:31] <Arachiel> OOC: Not that.
[22:32] <Kotono> roll 1d4+1+3d6 and fort
[22:32] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d4+1+3d6 and fort and gets 16." [1d4=4][3d6=4, 5, 2]
[22:32] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+10
[22:32] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+10 and gets 17." [1d20=7]
[22:34] <Kotono> Like a flash he sprints through the passersby, leaping over them! He lands before Arachiel in a split second, clad in a thick brown cloak! A dagger thrusts out and gets Arachiel in the side, hisf ace hidden by a hood! But his voice is heard! "This is for Khelmar and the Black Hoods, murderer!" Amid this screams echo about, "GUARDS!" as people start to flee away in a hurry!OOC: Init here.
[22:35] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+9 Archie
[22:35] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+9 Archie and gets 27." [1d20=18]
[22:35] <Arachiel> rll 1d20+1 Ulysses
[22:35] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+1 Ulysses
[22:35] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+1 Ulysses and gets 7." [1d20=6]
[22:38] <Kotono> roll 1d20+7 assassin
[22:38] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+7 assassin and gets 27." [1d20=20]
[22:38] * Kotono changes topic to 'Assassin=Arachiel>Bear'
[22:39] <Kotono> OOC: Go Arachiel.
[22:41] <Arachiel> Clearly this is a case of mistaken identity! "Who and the what?!" She immediately tries to exit melee range with a backflip! OOC: Tumbling~
[22:41] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+11
[22:41] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+11 and gets 25." [1d20=14]
[22:44] <Kotono> Arachiel is able to tumble back gracefully, at the same time the assassin does likewise! He flips back thirty feet and throws something to the ground! Smoke explodes around him, hiding him from sight! The sound of the screams of the people echo all over and about!
[22:46] <Kotono> OOC: Bear's up.
[22:47] <Arachiel> Meanwhile, Ulysses snuffles around, trying to find the man who attacked his master in all this smoke! OOC: Rolling track with Scent, rules apply.
[22:48] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+1 Survival roll
[22:48] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+1 Survival roll and gets 13." [1d20=12]
[22:49] <Kotono> All Ulysses can smell is acrid smoke, the assassin's smoke bomb drowning out other smells!
[22:51] <Arachiel> Not finding anything, Ulysses walks toward his master, seeking to protect her where he can!
[22:52] <Kotono> The smoke continues to rise, a thick curtain as...OOC: Arachiel, go.
[22:53] * Arachiel looks around for the assassin, holding her side and peering into the smoke. OOC: Spot?
[22:54] <Kotono> OOC: Sure.
[22:54] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+16
[22:54] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+16 and gets 32." [1d20=16]
[22:54] <Kotono> Arachiel peers into the smoke...nothing at all. It begins to fade away, no immediate sign of the assassin. Meanwhile, coming around the corner you can see Whurric. OOC: Free act for the moment.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

#d

[21:39] <Kotono> The next day, Whurric heads over to Whimsical Sweets and Josa. He's found upstairs, going over papers and checking this and that...OOC: Goa head, since you said in post you wantedt o talk to him about visiting Janson's family.
[21:41] <Whurric> "Oy, morning Josa," Whurric greets the store's proprietor as he approaches. "Anything new?"
[21:42] <Kotono> "The recriminations of debt and the vicious barbs of financial fecundity ferociously faciliate festering failure." After a long, dramatic sigh, "In other words, I am finding reagents to be expensive."
[21:44] <Whurric> "Ah, maybe another trip to the mountains and forests is in order then? Gather your own stuff?" Whurric suggests, musing over Josa's plight. "Or do we have any other jobs available for a quick influx of money? Yuria in particular was hoping we'd have something soon."
[21:48] <Kotono> "I shall be investigating this with renewed vigor thusly," Josa says back, "As well as getting other affairs in order."
[21:54] <Whurric> "...Right. Speaking of other affairs, have you sent word to Janson's village about what happened? I know Sylvie is going to try and bring him back, but still seems the sort of thing we should let his family know about," Whurric asks.
[22:05] <Kotono> "Not as of yet," Josa says, a drawn sigh, "From what I know, I am tempted to wait until Sylvie returns. If she succeeds then there is no need for heartbreak. If failure is forecast, no need for false hope."
[22:10] <Whurric> "I suppose, though I'd hate to be the one to let them know if Sylvie happens to fail, however much I hope she does not. Who could tell someone's family their loved one died quite some time ago and they're only now being let know?" Whurric says with a frown. "More reason to hope she succeeds if we choose to go down that route."
[22:12] <Kotono> "Amen," Josa says, "Or worse, if Sylvie simply never comes back."
[22:19] <Whurric> "Let's not think of such a scenario," Whurric says with a frown, as he goes to check out the board to see if there's anything worthwhile there. He can let Yuria know if she doesn't get a chance to look at it herself.
[22:26] <Kotono> The board is empty at the moment, "I haven't put any new jobs up yet," Josa calls as I go over. "At least not until tomorrow if not another day."
[22:27] <Whurric> "Ah, well, I'll find some other way to keep myself occupied then," Whurric says with a nod back to Josa.
[22:44] <Kotono> AS Whurric says that, youc an begin to hear something. Curious - iot's quite loud, like something's going on in the streets below.
[22:46] <Whurric> Curious indeed! The former dwarf decides to go downstairs and get a glance at what's going on.
[22:47] <Kotono> Glancing out, you can see people are hurrying down the street, as if fleeing from something. You can distantly hear shoulds of GUARDS!
[22:48] <Whurric> Frowning, he starts to head in the direction people are fleeing from, wading through the crowds as best he can, trying to find out what's causing this riot or whatnot.

Corwin

[22:55] * Arachiel waves her free arm at Whurric. "Hey, over here!"
[22:55] <Whurric> "What's going on lass?" Whurric asks.
[22:56] <Arachiel> "Some jerk came out of nowhere and STABBED me! He was shouting about black hoods or something! He called me a murderer!" she pouts.
[22:58] <Kotono> A moment later from the other street a squad of four guards come rushing down! They look about, several civilians pointing at Arachiel, her bear and Whurric!
[22:58] <Whurric> "What? Where is he then?" he asks as he looks around, trying to place anything suspicious around, and only seeing a bear. "Wait...why is there a bear here?"
[22:59] * Arachiel waves the guards over. "The bear is with me! I already talked to Captain Wedge about him! Someone stabbed me!"
[22:59] <Whurric> "What did he look like? Remember anything useful?"
[23:00] <Kotono> "You two there!" The guards approach carefully, "Down now! Drop your weapons!"
[23:02] <Arachiel> "Big cloak, his face was covered by a hood, and he called me a murderer! Me! Really! He was shouting something about black hoods! Do you think they have anything to do with the Black Moon monks that we fought? The Shar guys?" she looks over at the guard. "I have been STABBED, sir! For walking! I don't have any weapons in my hands!" she waves her free hand at the guards.
[23:02] <Whurric> "Hey now, I haven't done anything, I only just arrived here!" Whurric says gruffly, though he obeys as he sets his axe on the ground.

Corwin

20:19] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> The guards look amid each other, "Did you say Shar?"
[20:21] * Arachiel looks curiously at the guards. "Yes, I said Shar. Why?"
[20:23] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> The lingering citizens creep back at that, as the guards go stony-faced. "We're going to have to ask you to come with us."
[20:24] * Arachiel looks confused. "Why!?"
[20:26] * Whurric sighs. "They're just doing their jobs, Arachiel, we'll talk to their captain, clear things up and maybe get someone to actually look for this assassin fellow," he says, before pausing and turning at the guards and frowning. "Although I do hope they plan on doing something about your wound while they're at it?"
[20:27] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Exactly, and get your wound treated," The guard nods, "If you're innocent you have nothing to hide anyway, yes?
[20:27] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "
[20:31] <Arachiel> "But I can get patched up at Whimsical Sweets! I don't understand, why am I in trouble? Is it different in Balmuria? I thought that the guards were supposed to find and arrest the criminals here, not the victims!" she says with confusion, then looks at the guards. "Of course I'm innocent!"
[20:34] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> That gets another look between the guards, "Whimsical Sweets?" After a beat, "Go ahead then."
[20:37] * Whurric pauses, about to say something to the former lantern archon, but pauses as the guards just seem to give in, leaving him just a little confused. Well...whatever. Raising an eyebrow, he asks, "I suppose I can pick up my axe now?"
[20:37] <Arachiel> "...what?" she turns to Whurric. "Are we really that popular?"
[20:38] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> The guardsman shrugs, "Captain's orders. You'd have to ask him, sirs," The guard steps back.
[20:40] <Whurric> "Well, it's useful in saving time from getting wasted, I suppose. You any good at tracking your would-be assassin, Arachiel, or think he's long gone and you're better off getting that treated?" he asks as he picks up his weapon and points to Archie's wound.
[20:45] <Arachiel> "I lost him in the smoke earlier, but I can try!" she concentrates, looking around for clues.
[20:46] <Arachiel> roll 1d20+10+2+2 Survival(+2 to above ground checks, +2 to tracking)
[20:46] * Hatbot --> "Arachiel rolls 1d20+10+2+2 Survival(+2 to above ground checks, +2 to tracking) and gets 22." [1d20=8]
[20:46] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Arachiel can make out some faint tracks heading into a nearby alley.
[20:50] * Whurric nods and turns to the guards. "You lot up for hunting an assassin and any of you any good at tracking to help out with that?" Whurric asks them.
[20:51] <Arachiel> "I see some scuff marks leading off into the alley over there. Looks like he was moving a lot faster than the rest of the crowd. Maybe we can still follow him!"
[20:53] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> The guards see the tracks and start to go on! OOC: Are you following?
[20:54] <Arachiel> OOC: Yeah, sure. Tis merely a flesh wound!
[20:54] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> With that Arachiel and company follow along the trail! It slips through allies and heads north a bit, until you come to an inn. Here the trail leads into a side door, closed shut.
[20:56] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> One of the guards steps forward, "He may be in there. Maintain the front door and keep an eye on any windows," he instructs, two guards hurrying off to do just that.
[20:57] * Arachiel nocks an arrow, setting herself at the ready!
[21:00] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> OOC: Waiting on Whurric.
[21:06] <Whurric> "Alright, in we go then? On three?"
[21:06] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Three," The head guard nods, "You look pretty stout," With a gesture at the door and Whurric, "Take the point?"
[21:09] * Whurric nods in agreement. "Aye," he says simply, as he moves to the door and first tries to open it normally. If that doesn't work, well, breaking down inn doors seems to work well enough in this town.
[21:11] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> The door opens, unlocked! Within you see a kitchen, fairly busy. The smell of roasting meat is in the air, as well as baking bread and pies. A middle aged woman with a bit of girth on her turns to Whurric, "Oh, there you are! You're late, tell Malias I'm not going to pay full price for shoddy service! I don't care if you're new or this is your first delivery or what!" Hands on her hips
[21:11] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> now, "I've been waiting three hours!""
[21:12] * Arachiel looks at the woman, then Whurric. "You know her?"
[21:13] * Whurric gives Archie a flat look before turning back to the woman. "Apologies ma'am, you're going to have to wait longer. We're not the delivery men you were waitin' on. We're tracking a criminal, his trail led this way," Whurric answers.
[21:14] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Huh?" That gets a blink, "The only person that's been this way is that guy from room 2."
[21:15] <Arachiel> "He's in room 2? Great!"
[21:15] <Whurric> "Room 2, eh? Might be who we're looking for. We're going to want to speak with him."
[21:19] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> The woman steps back, "Sure thing!" With a glance, "You're the brutes with weapons. Goodness, if my heart gives out you'll have hell to pay!"
[21:22] * Whurric snorts. "You seem a tough lady, ma'am. I'm sure you've plenty of years left." With that, Whurric starts heading further in, searching for the correct room.
[21:24] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Out you go to the halls of the inn. Room 2 is swiftly and easily found! The guard stands before the door a moment, putting his head to listen at it.
[21:24] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> roll 1d20+5
[21:24] * Hatbot --> "Infinite_Ko_Loop rolls 1d20+5 and gets 13." [1d20=8]
[21:24] * Arachiel follows after Whurric, giving a smile to the woman as she passes.
[21:24] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> He shakes his head, "Someone's in there," he whispers low.
[21:26] <Whurric> "Any objections t'me kicking the door in?" Whurric whispers back just as quietly. "Like t'see how he likes being the one getting surprised."
[21:27] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Go ahead," The guardsman nods, "It'll be part of his punishment to pay for the door if he' sin ther eanyway."
[21:29] <Whurric> "Heh, good man," Whurric says as he does just that.
[21:30] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> OOC: Make a str check?
[21:30] <Whurric> roll d20+4
[21:30] * Hatbot --> "Whurric rolls d20+4 and gets 11." [d20=7]
[21:32] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> WHAM! THe door is knocked open, the lock a screaming mess of metal as it's freed! Within the room is but a single man - middle aged and black haired, the hood of his brown cloak down. Daggers lie on his bed, as he turns and stares! OOC: Surprise round all. Act you two.
[21:33] * Arachiel points with arrows! "That's the man that stabbed me! You! Stop right there and submit to the law! Don't make me shoot you, please!"
[21:43] * Whurric doesn't even give him much of a chance to go for his weapons as he rushes towards their suspect, stretching his arm so he can hooking it around the neck of the man to knock him down flat on his ass as he moves past him.
[21:43] <Whurric> roll d20+12 CMB
[21:43] * Hatbot --> "Whurric rolls d20+12 CMB and gets 30." [d20=18]

Corwin

[20:13] <Kotono> With a deft hook Whurric takes the man down! He goes down in a hard, quick heap, knocked down before he can even act! "Ack! Stop!" he cries, face firmly pressed into the flooring!
[20:14] <Whurric> "Just makin' sure you listen to the lass," Whurric says firmly from where stands. "You -are- going to surrender, I hope?"
[20:15] <Kotono> As you hold him down, the guardsman approaches and puts his speartip right before the man's face. He glowers down, as the pinned man grinds, "I do."
[20:17] * Arachiel puts her arrow away with a smile. "See? This way I don't have to shoot you with an arrow. I don't want to, you see. Why did you stab me, anyway?"
[20:20] <Kotono> The guardsman kneels down, taking out rope. He begins to tie the man up, "Good work," he replies, binding the assassin right up. "You're a fine tracker."
[20:20] * Arachiel beams at the guard's praise!
[20:21] <Kotono> The man glares up, "How many blonde women with a bear are there supposed to be in this thrice damned city?"
[20:23] * Arachiel looks confused. "Well, I don't know what you're talking about, really. I just became friends with Ulysses recently, and I don't know who your friends are, or why you think I murdered them. I'm not a murderer!"
[20:25] * Whurric snorts. "You targetted her purely on the assumption of 'how many could there be'? Well that's some damn fine logic, mister would-be assassin. I've never even seen the damn bear until just a bit ago, and I've known this girl for as long as she's been mortal," Whurric says.
[20:26] <Arachiel> "Longer!"
[20:26] <Whurric> "Well, that could go unsaid, lass!"
[20:27] <Kotono> The man exhales, "I surrender, I made a mistake." So he confesses, "Clearly Beshaba has spit on me."
[20:31] * Arachiel nods and puts her bow on her back.
[20:31] <Arachiel> "You should be more careful in the future! If you have a problem with someone, talk to the Guard first!"
[20:32] * Whurric glances towards Arachiel. "Well, since he's surrendered and all, I think it's high time we go get you patched up," Whurric notes, before turning to the guard. "Any chance we can get some information on what was going on after you question him, figure out if there's any more people likely to target the lass or just what happened in all?"
[20:33] <Kotono> "We'll interrogate you at Highwatch," he says. Soon enough the other guardsmen come in, securing the prisoner. He just stares at Aaeru with defeated eyes, shoulders slumped. The guardsman nods, "Yeah, the Captain seems fond of you all." He just shrugs his own shoulders, "I imagine he'll say yes. If you need some healing, we'll go visit the area command and get you healed up."
[20:33] <Arachiel> OOC: Arachiel?
[20:36] * Arachiel nods. "We should get back outside. I want to make sure Ulysses hasn't caused any trouble. People are sensitive about bears here."
[20:36] <Kotono> OOC: Arachiel yes, sory.
[20:38] * Whurric snorts. "They're sensitive about 'em just about any major city, lass."
[20:39] <Arachiel> "Are they dangerous?"
[20:40] <Kotono> The guardsman grins, offering a hand out, "Corporal Jask. Yes, bears can be very dangerous. They are wild animals, you know."
[20:40] <Arachiel> "But they're so fuzzy!"
[20:41] * Arachiel takes the hand and looks at it carefully.
[20:42] <Kotono> Arachiel finds her hand shaken up and down! She does get a look at the hand. He's wearing leather gauntlets, worn and well used. They look quite leathery.
[20:43] * Arachiel blinks in surprise, before shaking back with a grin. "Oh, that's what that's for!"
[20:43] <Kotono> "Uh...yes, yes it is." Jask says, just blinking at Arachiel. "You're from way out in the country, aren't you?"
[20:45] <Arachiel> "Celestia!"
[20:45] * Arachiel points up.
[20:47] * Whurric laughs and shakes his head, but doesn't add to it, opting to keep an eye on the prisoner rather than Arachiel baffling the poor guardsman.
[20:47] <Kotono> The guardsman blinks, "Ooooooh! You mean you're angel blooded?"
[20:48] <Arachiel> "Umm...not really! I used to be a lantrn archon!"
[21:04] <Kotono> "Oh." That gets another blink, "Wow, that is a new one."
[21:05] * Arachiel nods. "Pretty rare, I think!"
[21:08] <Kotono> "Yes, yes it is." Jask agrees, as he leads Arachiel and Whurric. Getting his wound patched is without incident (HP restored).

Corwin

[20:11] <Kotono> After getting your wound tended to, you meet again with Jask. "On the good side," He notes, "He's spilling his guts."
[20:11] <Whurric> "And on the bad side?" Whurric asks, extending that line of thought.
[20:14] <Kotono> "You can talk to him yourself if you want it in his words, but apparently this is a mix up. His information said that an assassin who struck his group would be passing through Balmuria in disguise. As a druid follower of Jannath in particular, with a tamed bear as cover."
[20:15] <Arachiel> "Ohhh. Well, that's okay then. We should find the assassin for him! Then he won't make the same mistake again!"
[20:17] <Whurric> "What group is his exactly, anyhow? They didn't exactly seem to have the most pleasant of names, all things considered. What was it he shouted again when he attacked you?" Whurric asks, turning to Arachiel.
[20:18] <Arachiel> "Black hoods, I think." Arachiel concentrates, thinking back. "Yeah! Black hoods!"
[20:20] * Whurric nods. "See, that doesn't sound very friendly sort, now does it? Any knowledge about 'em, Corporal?"
[20:22] <Arachiel> "Maybe they just like black?" Arachiel says hopefully.
[20:26] <Kotono> OOC: Do either of you have ranks in knowledge: local, and if so, what areas?
[20:27] <Arachiel> OOC: Nope.
[20:31] <Whurric> ooc: local balmuria only
[20:34] <Kotono> OOC: Make a check, Whurric?
[20:35] <Whurric> roll d20+5
[20:35] * Hatbot --> "Whurric rolls d20+5 and gets 24." [d20=19]
[20:38] <Kotono> Whurric: The Black Hoods are a mercenary group who work out of Purinn. They're only mildly know in Balmuria; it's said they do all sorts of work, from the clean to the questionable.
[20:40] <Whurric> ooc: does the corporal have anything to chip in since I had asked him first, or should I just comment anyway?
[20:41] <Kotono> "They're a mercenary group out of Purinn," he answers, "According to him they were decimated a few months ago and they're trying to figure out who did it. They're following a lot of tenous leads; from the sounds of it is' alld esperation."
[20:43] <Whurric> "Well, not much to it then. Anything else you want to do with this, Arachiel? Or just keep an eye out for this druid they were hunting for?"
[20:45] * Arachiel frowns, shaking her head. "We can keep an eye out for the druid, but if they're not sure, then we can't be sure either."
[20:46] <Kotono> A nod to that, "We're going to pass this one up the chain for the exact punishment. Do you have anything to add for or against the assassin, ma'am?"
[20:47] <Arachiel> "Well, there was no harm done to me, really. I'm fine now. He should really be more careful in the future, though!"