News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Questions about spells/domains.

For spells, how are we using Phantasmal Killer and Weird?
For domains, Renewal and Trickery contain the banned spell Polymorph Any Object, which presumably needs to be replaced in each instance by something suitable. Animal has Animal Shapes and Shapechange, which while not banned explicitly are polymorph spells. Are they to be left alone for thematic reasons, like say how Seira had a dragon transformation spell, or should they be replaced too? Travel has Astral Projection, which seems to run counter to how we've been doing Astral travel so I wanted to check it if fit/worked as is. With War, I wanted to ask what happened if you already had weapon focus. Would you get a free feat, or would it just be wasted?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Blurred Alacrity should be 50%, not 40%. Corrected.

Yuthirin

I will edit it at some point. iPhone is not conducive to scrolling miniwindows.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on August 09, 2011, 05:09:19 PM
Questions about spells/domains.

For spells, how are we using Phantasmal Killer and Weird?
For domains, Renewal and Trickery contain the banned spell Polymorph Any Object, which presumably needs to be replaced in each instance by something suitable. Animal has Animal Shapes and Shapechange, which while not banned explicitly are polymorph spells. Are they to be left alone for thematic reasons, like say how Seira had a dragon transformation spell, or should they be replaced too? Travel has Astral Projection, which seems to run counter to how we've been doing Astral travel so I wanted to check it if fit/worked as is. With War, I wanted to ask what happened if you already had weapon focus. Would you get a free feat, or would it just be wasted?

I made a variant of phantasmal killer before and could adapt it for weird, I guess.

War's bonus feat would be wasted and overlapped RAW. I'd allow you to get weapon focus for the diety that offers the war domain in that pantheon, if you'd like a little weapon variety.

For the other domains, feel free to suggest thematic spells for them and I'll take a look. If a domain sticks to PHB/SRD spells, stick to them. If it goes into splatbook spells, choose spells from the relevant splatbook used or the SRD (When possible, check the origin of the domain if it comes from the spell compendium.)
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Okay. My suggestions are as follows:

[SC] Renewal lvl8: Unyielding Roots [SC p228]
[SRD] Trickery lvl8: Irresistible Dance [SRD]
[SRD] Travel lvl9: Teleportation Circle [SRD]

[SRD] Animal lvl7: Phantom Wolf [SC p157]
[SRD] Animal lvl9: Phantom Bear [SC p155-156]

I couldn't really find anything suitable for animals in the SRD so I grabbed druid spells from the SC using the same scheme (Animal 7 was Druid 8, Animal 9 was Druid 9).

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on August 10, 2011, 06:52:46 AM
Okay. My suggestions are as follows:

[SC] Renewal lvl8: Unyielding Roots [SC p228]

Renewal sticks to SRD only spells so it shouldn't be going into the spell compendium if possible. Let me see if there's anything reasonable for it in the SRD. Clone fits well for it and dovetails nicely with getting reincarnation at level 4. It's a different take on the same idea of rebirth.

Quote[SRD] Trickery lvl8: Irresistible Dance [SRD]
[SRD] Travel lvl9: Teleportation Circle [SRD]

Both of these are good choices.

Quote[SRD] Animal lvl7: Phantom Wolf [SC p157]
[SRD] Animal lvl9: Phantom Bear [SC p155-156]

I couldn't really find anything suitable for animals in the SRD so I grabbed druid spells from the SC using the same scheme (Animal 7 was Druid 8, Animal 9 was Druid 9).

Creeping Doom or Summon Nature's Ally 7 could work for the 7th level slot. Both are weak choices, as is Summon Nature's Ally 9 for the 9th level slot. There isn't a huge overall difference between them and the phantom line of spells, but they do at least fit better than just dumping SNAs into the spell list as filler. Go with the phantoms.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Merc's PC that still doesn't have a name sheet audit!

CMD should be higher. Your base CMD is CMB(19) +10 + 3 (dex) + 3 (deflection) for a total of 35.

The various ACFs are fine.

...of course you had to take Cat's Grace.

No weapon/armor crystals. Please change those up.

Everything else looks fine!
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Please add a house rules segment on spells used to come back from the dead. Which exist, how they differ from standard, etc? The Magic section of the house rules is kinda unwieldly as well. Maybe you can split it to banned stuff and altered stuff? I keep on looking for spells that got changed (like you mentioned doing for Phantasmal Killer or how I remember you doing for Prismatic Ray) but I just can't find them. Either they're not there, or they're hard to find.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on August 10, 2011, 07:02:47 PM
Please add a house rules segment on spells used to come back from the dead. Which exist, how they differ from standard, etc? The Magic section of the house rules is kinda unwieldly as well. Maybe you can split it to banned stuff and altered stuff? I keep on looking for spells that got changed (like you mentioned doing for Phantasmal Killer or how I remember you doing for Prismatic Ray) but I just can't find them. Either they're not there, or they're hard to find.

It's not there. I prepared it for that erinyes that served Haagenti, but she never had a chance to use it. I'll add that and some other stuff.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, what sort of opening hook are you guys looking for here? You know, the one to get you guys together and working towards the start of your goals? Are you looking for something you talk out and work out yourselves, or something external?

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'm open to whatever. A bar fight or a visit to some mystic with a clue or even just overhearing some rumors of Lifasa where we would all catch them. I personally would vote for a bar fight, in homage.

Ebiris

As implied by references to her temper in her background, Afina would be easy to get into a bar fight.

Yuthirin

Bar fight would suit Willim just fine
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ebiris

The Cosmology post is cool, props for that, Dune. Can I request a section added about fey realms?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on August 11, 2011, 02:25:33 PM
The Cosmology post is cool, props for that, Dune. Can I request a section added about fey realms?

Okay, I'll do that when I have a few.

---

Okay, bar fight looks to be the winner here. The exact plane you guys will start on is TBA and at my discretion, though suggestions are welcome.
<Afina> Forever.