News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Annalise will probably be posted tomorrow unless I'm extra productive tonight. I've been busy on a lot of fronts.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Annalise is posted.

There are no errors on her sheet. Good luck.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Elven gods! Is it wrong to travel with a vampire, solely because it's a vampire?

[22:59] <C2> roll 1d20+19
[22:59] * Hatbot --> "C2 rolls 1d20+19 and gets 24." [1d20=5]
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

My to-do list. If I'm forgetting something speak up.

Yuth wanted some sort of half troll to full troll transitional class.
Cor was curious about Ordained Champion, a PrC from Complete Champion.
Cor was curious about how elemental turnings work with our turning rules.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on September 11, 2011, 12:05:17 AM
Yuth wanted some sort of half troll to full troll transitional class.

Monday sometime. I'm not sure when, it's going to take more drudge work than I anticipated.

QuoteCor was curious about Ordained Champion, a PrC from Complete Champion.

Most of the class is fine, the only problem I have is its smiting mechanic. I strongly dislike it, as it's essentially super smiting. It does smiting better than a paladin can and without the limitations. Now you can certainly argue paladin smiting isn't powerful enough. That's not really directly relevant nor so I particularly care to bring up that argument right now, so let's ignore that for now. The point is that I object to this, as it does that too well. A random PrC that isn't particularly focused on smiting shouldn't completely outdo a paladin. In the interests of that, I'm going to institute the following houserule:

Ordained Champion: Smite now grants a flat +4 bonus to hit rather than depending on your charisma modifier. You may smite once per day at 2nd level and twice per day at 4th level, rather than spending turning attempts to fuel smites. You use your Ordained Champion level to determine the extra damage of your smite, classes that also grant smiting stack with this. Paladin, clerics with the Destruction Domain and others all qualify.

This resembles the smites of the Destruction Domain and Pious Templar. Two smites in four levels sounds about right. On a secondary level the prerequisites have some problems, so the following houserule is also added:

Ordained Champion: Disregard the alignment components of Ordained Champion's prerequisites. Replace the deity requirements with having a patron that grants access to the War Domain.

The alignment components of Ordained Champion don't make any sense. Maybe it does in the context of Hextor and Heironeous, but I'm not familiar with them or does this campaign use them.

QuoteCor was curious about how elemental turnings work with our turning rules.

I'm debating this. The old turning mechanic is mediocre, but I'm also not enthused to make a bushel of new domain powers. I'm open to suggestions here. I'm considering following the example of the alignment domains, but those granted powers are widely noted to blow goats.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

MEANWHILE IN EPIC LAND, SHAR IS STILL A BITCH. REPEAT, SHAR IS STILL A BITCH.

New Disease: Song of Ending

DC 40; immediate onset, 1d8 vile charisma drain and despair.

Heroes who fight against The Lady of Loss may find themselves cursed with the Song of Ending. This disease causes the victim to be infected by the pure nothingness that Shar represents. The victim constantly hears the echo of the Song of Ending that is forever sung within Shar's domain. Those that hear it lose hope and eventually the sense of self, dying soon thereafter. In addition to the normal ability score drain of the disease, a creature infected with the Song of Ending is treated as being under a permanent Crushing Despair spell. This cannot be dispelled without removing the disease.

A creature reduced to zero charisma by Song of Ending dies, its body rising one round later as a greater shadow. The shadow must be slain before the victim can be resurrected. In any event, dying from the Song of Ending imposes a -20% chance to any resurrection chance rolls.

Song of Ending may only be cured by a heal, wish or miracle spell cast on consecrated ground. A divine caster with access to the Hope domain may use remove disease to counter the Song of Ending. To do so requires a successful caster level check against DC 40.

I'm just keeping busy with DM work and I like designing epic. Sue me. Relax, no incoming Shar ambushes are in your future, unless you go give her a wedgie or something. Then all bets are off.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Can Ordained Champion get full casting progression?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 11, 2011, 12:02:43 PM
Can Ordained Champion get full casting progression?

I'd boost it to 4/5 - the dead level would be first level.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Are any of you interested in Monk of the Enabled Hand from Dragon Compendium? It's where the arcanaloth's Reverse Fist came from. If you are I'd want to revise it, as it's 3.0 and has some problems anyway.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

My PrC plate is rather full right now, so probably not.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Anyone wanna take up logging while Cor's on vacation?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Can I retrain a few skills from my old paladin levels? Basically, a one to one conversion. I recently realized that Bluff is a class skill for Paladins of Freedom, not Diplo (even though I listed it and everything). Also, http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a is very interesting in that it allows me to replace two dumb skills I don't have reason to take with two skills that I do! Ride->Tumble, Handle Animal->Gather Info. I know I should've thought of it at chargen but I didn't actually come across this at the time.