News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 22, 2011, 03:29:40 PM
Can I retrain a few skills from my old paladin levels? Basically, a one to one conversion. I recently realized that Bluff is a class skill for Paladins of Freedom, not Diplo (even though I listed it and everything).

Yeah, that part's fine.

QuoteAlso, http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a is very interesting in that it allows me to replace two dumb skills I don't have reason to take with two skills that I do! Ride->Tumble, Handle Animal->Gather Info. I know I should've thought of it at chargen but I didn't actually come across this at the time.

I'm not a stickler for flavor on these things, but isn't skilled city dweller the exact opposite of an elf paladin of freedom?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Justification's easy enough in that she came from the largest elven city on Lifasa. But I don't really care about flavor for ACFs much, to be honest, as long as they're not completely dumb.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Yeah sure, that's good enough then.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

[22:14] <Jaela> Speaking of, you said you'd post your variants for phantasmal killer and weird?

Anastasia

I can't find the Weird variant I made. I'm not sure about the level of this, with all the easy to stop subtypes and two saving throws it may not be a fourth level spell.

Phantasmal Nightmare
Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with), then Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a phantasmal image of the most fearsome creature imaginable to the subject simply by forming the fears of the subject's subconscious mind into something that its conscious mind can visualize: this most horrible beast. Only the spell's subject can see the phantasmal killer. You see only a vague shape. The target first gets a Will save to recognize the image as unreal. If that save fails, the phantasm touches the subject, and the subject must succeed on a Fortitude save or be stricken into a coma, lost to nightmares. This condition can be reversed by a successful dispel magic check, and the subject gets a new saving throw every 24 hours. If the Fortitude save is successful, the subject takes 3d6 points of damage.

If the subject of a phantasmal killer attack succeeds in disbelieving and is wearing a helm of telepathy, the beast can be turned upon you. You must then disbelieve it or become subject to its deadly fear attack.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Eb, are you interested in an epic progression for swiftblade at all?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Yes, more speed!

I can't think of any other epic class that would be thematic for Afina, so building on Swiftblade is the best bet for her.

Anastasia

Okay, I'll put that on the agenda.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Todo list:

1: Complete and finish Malcanthet. She'll be posted publically; I can and will change things up a bit if you end up fighting her in the future. If you're curious, that's why I revised the Lust Domain and posted an epic fatemaker advancement. Teaser:

Succubus 18/Fatemaker 26//Rogue 44

Malcanthet
Queen of the Succubi, Mistress of the Razor Throne
Demon Queen
Symbol: A pair of bright red feminine lips, pierced with an iron thorn that drips a single drop of blood.
Home Plane: Shendilavri, the 570th layer of the Abyss.
Alignment: Chaotic Vile.
Portfolio: Lust, desire, rape, beauty.
Worshipers: Whores, dominatrices, manipulators, hedonists.
Cleric Alignments: Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Neutral.
Domains: Chaos, Evil, Lust, Temptation, Trickery.
Favored Weapon: Lover's Lash (Scourge).

I may tweak the portfolio and worshipers part, but it's close enough for now.

2: Work out an epic PrC based on speed. This is a result of fucking around with an epic swiftblade advancement. Swiftblade doesn't translate well to an epic progression for myriad reasons and brings little to the table. While I may release a simple epic advancement for it, the bulk of my focus will be directed at a new epic PrC. While it won't only be for swiftblades, it will certainly suit them well.

3: Work on and finish Seira. She's been delayed, mostly due to bad luck with game transition timing. A little of this is Cor's sense of design. I let him choose her build and it's really not how I'd design a deity. It makes it easy to put off since it's an extra pain in the ass to do, y'know? This isn't a potshot at you, Cor; I simply have to admit our senses of design for D&D are worlds apart. Also holy hell am I burned out on making full caster deities right now. Churning out several new epic spells is good for the material base but its a bitch of an effort. There's a reason I chose not to use Beguiler with Malcanthet. Well, besides that it's largely redundant for her and she's never been fluffed as that sort of caster anyway.

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Re-examine Reaping Mauler, the original 10 level class.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

I'm pretty sure Malcanthet can do without it, yeah. Sorry if it's not working out, I did follow your guidelines!

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 28, 2011, 01:28:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Malcanthet can do without it, yeah. Sorry if it's not working out, I did follow your guidelines!

It's cool, you didn't do anything wrong.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Anastasia

Misalea posted. Her spells will be edited in a little later.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The 10 level reaping mauler is fine. It needs a few tweaks to find CMD/CMB but the basics are fine. Id' just have the capstone do paralysis automatically or have it be permanent paralysis. At that point snapping a creature's spine is entirely reasonable.
<Afina> Forever.