News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on December 25, 2011, 06:50:39 AMYou didn't actually respond to my point on how that epic feat is artificial and annoying even in your response to Merc, though.  >_>

Sure didn't! The discussion went in a different direction than intended, so here we go.

RAW epic heavily feat taxes casters. You need a feat to make epic magic as well as a feat for each level of 10th+ magic you want to have.  I took a look at it and deduced why. Epic magic as written gives huge amounts of freedom and power, to the point where unchecked it can utterly destroy the game. Making it more difficult to obtain makes sense in that light. Now when I changed epic magic, I took a look at those feats. They weren't needed by and large, nor did I really like there being a huge feat tax. However, I decided to keep an entry-way feat for epic magic. There's several reasons why I did this.

The first one is that it makes epic magic opt-in. A PC doesn't have to go into it if they choose not to. Considering epic magic requires a large amount of design work and creation, I feel this is to everyone's benefit. If you don't want to hack away at epic magic like that, you don't have to. You can go the metamagic boosting route instead, or spend your epic feats on other things to enhance your magic without going into epic magic.

The second one is that epic magic provides yet more fuel and resources. It gives more spells per day, more spells to sacrifice up to arcane strike, more ways to have answers to any problem you come across. When you consider what high level magic can do already and take it a step farther, the results are both intimidating and impressive.  In light of this I feel access to this power should be taxed.

Third, and in particular to your comment about boosting non-casters, a feat is far easier to regulate than boosting other people. Rather than trying to parse out benefits for people without spellcasting, it's simpler to impose a tax on the caster end instead. Figuring out what everyone should get to counter this is more effort than is desired, nor is there a satisfactory answer that can be applied across the spectrum.

So yes, after having thought of all this and had a few go-rounds about it, I decided an entryway feat was the best solution to this.

QuoteFS gets wings with a fly speed, so I don't think increasing the speed is particularly new. Any of the alternatives to this you already created should work as well.

Feats-wise, I felt there could be a bit more focus on the martial? Epic Divine Might, etc.

What exactly are you talking about that as an ACF to?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quick straw poll:

The acid resist and other armor enhancements are priced as if the elemental protection was off slot. For example, energy resist 10 on armor costs 18,000 gold.

> roll (2*3)*2000*1.5
* Hatbot --> "Christmas_Ko rolls (2*3)*2000*1.5 and gets 18000."

This strikes me as rather dumb, since it's charging the off-slot price increase. Further, I rarely see the energy resistance armor attributes used. What do you guys think of removing this price multiplier from them? This would change the prices as follows:

Resist 10 goes from 18000 gold to 12000 gold.
Resist 20 goes from 42000 gold to 28000 gold.
Resist 30 goes from 66000 gold to 44000 gold.

Opinions? This would impact the epic versions of these, as I'm going to convert them to this formula to be consistent with the non-epic versions.

Resist 50 goes from +6 bonus(126000 gold) to 84000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Zero interest on this subject, I have Resist Energy.

QuoteWhat exactly are you talking about that as an ACF to?

Well, you saw the link to your ACFs in my post? I'm basically suggesting that rather than progress one feature (wings), you could make a second pool for epic FS that boost each of those features, if you happened to take it. It we actually get far enough that it can be taken a second time, it'll surely scale or something.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Basically yeah, the price multiplier makes them absolutely worthless to buy yourself, and rarely likely to show up in level appropriate loot.

Anastasia

Also, a preview of epic magic items I'm working on. These are all SRD items, I'm re-pricing them and tweaking as needed.

Specific Armors and Shields

Unless noted otherwise, assume CL 21 for these items. Higher CLs can be obtained if you're willing to pay for them, as can higher enhancement bonuses. Talk to me if you need the specific formula for an item. Increasing an item's CL costs about 8,000 gold per CL before any other multipliers.

Antimagic Armor

This +6 negating full plate armor is crafted of layers of adamantine. It provides damage reduction 6/-. Three times per day as a swift action, the wearer can invoke an antimagic field, centered on himself. Market Price: 227,000 gold.

Armor of the Abyssal Horde

This +6 full plate armor's clawed gauntlets are effectively +4 keen weapons (1d10/19-20) that afflict the target as if she had been struck by an energy drain spell (Fortitude negates DC 30). The armor bestows two negative levels on any nonevil creature wearing it. These negative levels persist as long as the armor is worn and disappear when the armor is removed. The negative levels never result in actual level loss, but they cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the armor is worn. Market Price: 442,000 gold. Caster level 21st.

Armor of the Celestial Battalion

This +7 chainmail is so fine and light that it can be worn under normal clothing without revealing its presence. It has a maximum Dexterity bonus of +10, no armor check penalty, and an arcane spell failure chance of 10%. It is considered light armor, and it allows the wearer to fly at will (as the fly spell). Furthermore, the wearer is at all times surrounded by a magic circle against evil effect (as the spell) which, if dispelled, can be created again as a free action. Market Price: 421,000 gold.

Bulwark of the Great Dragon

This +6 heavy shield bears the image of a metallic or chromatic dragon's head. Three times per day, the bearer of the shield can command it to belch forth a breath weapon of the appropriate type. The range of this breath weapon is 80 feet (if a line) or 40 feet (if a cone). Regardless of the type, the breath weapon deals 20d6 points of damage (Reflex DC 30 halves). In addition, the shield provides the bearer with resistance 50 to the energy type that matches its breath weapon. Market Price: 288,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Part 1 is ready to post - let me know how these turned out for you. I tried to stay true to the items with a few provisos. First of all, I wanted enhancement bonuses of +6 or greater. These are epic weapons, and with the price deflation, should have enhancement bonuses to match this. Secondly, I changed items that don't work in our game for whatever reason. Third of all, I changed one or two that were simply not worth being epic magical items.

There were a few judgment calls. When in doubt I tried to keep things in. Oh yes, the elemental wards are still full price. That houserule is going to go into effect, barring something happening, tonight. I'll change those for the final draft.

Epic Magic Items: [spoiler]

Reminder: The x10 price multiplier for epic items is not used. Disregard it and follow the prices here instead.

Epic Armor

There is no limit to the enhancement bonus of epic magic armor or shields, to the market price modifier of epic magic armor or shield special abilities, or to the total enhancement bonus and market price modifier of epic magic armor or shields. The +10 (+5 enhancement and +5 special abilities) cap on non-epic magical armor is gone and an item can be enhanced indefinitely.

Epic Armor and Shield Base Price

+10 armor/shield: 100,000 GP.
+11 armor/shield: 121,000 GP.
+12 armor/shield: 144,000 GP.
+13 armor/shield: 169,000 GP.
+14 armor/shield: 196,000 GP.
+15 armor/shield: 225,000 GP.
+16 armor/shield: 256,000 GP.
+17 armor/shield: 289,000 GP.
+18 armor/shield: 324,000 GP.
+19 armor/shield: 361,000 GP.
+20 armor shield: 400,000 GP.

This pattern continues indefinitely. The formula to calculate armor prices is the total enhancement bonus of the armor squared, times 1000. Example:

> roll (12*12)*1000
* Hatbot --> "Christmas_Ko rolls (12*12)*1000 and gets 144000."

For a +12 total enhancement bonus set of armor.

Epic Armor and Shield Special Ability Descriptions

Note that many special abilities are improvements over non-epic special abilities. In those cases, armor should be allowed to upgrade to those, with the cost of the non-epic special ability as a discount to the price of the epic ability. For example, armor with greater acid resistance that is to be upgraded to acid warding should only cost 40,000 gold to do so. (84000 base price minus the 44000 price of greater acid resistance.)

Acid Warding

The armor absorbs the first 50 points of acid damage per round that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell).  Market Price: +126,000 gold. Spells used: resist energy.

Cold Warding

The armor absorbs the first 50 points of cold damage per round that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell).  Marked Price: +126,000 gold. Spells used: resist energy.

Exceptional Arrow Deflection

This shield functions like a shield of arrow deflection except that it can deflect any type of ranged attack (including spells that require a ranged touch attack) as if it were an arrow. Any time the bearer would normally be struck by a ranged attack, he or she can make a Reflex saving throw (DC 20). If the ranged attack has an enhancement bonus (or a spell level), the DC increases by that amount. If he or she succeeds, the shield deflects the attack. The bearer must be aware of the attack and not flat-footed. Attempting to deflect a ranged attack doesn't count as an action. Market Price: +7 bonus. Spells used: shield, wall of force.

Fire Warding

The armor absorbs the first 50 points of fire damage per round that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell). Market Price: +126,000 gold. Spells used: resist energy.

Great Invulnerability

This suit of armor or shield grants the wearer damage reduction. The damage reduction can be 10/magic, 15/magic, 15/epic, or 20/epic, depending on the armor. Market Price: +3 bonus (10/magic), +4 bonus (15/magic), +5 bonus (15/epic), +6 bonus (20/epic). Spells used: stoneskin and wish or miracle.

Great Reflection

Any time its bearer of this shield is targeted with a spell, it automatically reflects the spell back at the caster (as the spell turning spell). The wearer can lower or raise this effect as a free action (thus allowing beneficial spells in as desired). Market Price: +8 bonus. Spells used: spell turning.

Great Spell Resistance

Removed. SR is hideously overpriced and requires completely overhauling how it is priced.

Infinite Arrow Deflection

Removed. It's an inferior version of exceptional arrow deflection.

Lightning Warding

The armor absorbs the first 50 points of lightning damage per round that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell). Market Price: +126,000 gold. Spells used: resist energy.

Negating

Immediately after the wearer of this armor is hit with a magic weapon, the armor casts greater dispel magic on the weapon(+21 dispel modifier). In the case of projectile weapons, the armor casts greater dispel magic on the weapon that fired the projectile if it is in range. If it is out of range, the armor does nothing. No weapon can be affected by the armor more than once per day (regardless of the success of the dispel check). Market Price: +5 bonus. Spells used: greater dispel magic.

Sonic Warding

The armor absorbs the first 50 points of sonic damage per round that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell). +126,000 gold. Spells used: resist energy.

Specific Armors and Shields

Unless noted otherwise, assume CL 21 for these items. Higher CLs can be obtained if you're willing to pay for them, as can higher enhancement bonuses. Talk to me if you need the specific formula for an item. Increasing an item's CL costs about 8,000 gold per CL before any other multipliers.

Antimagic Armor

This +6 negating full plate armor is crafted of layers of adamantine. It provides damage reduction 6/-. Three times per day as a swift action, the wearer can invoke an antimagic field, centered on himself. Market Price: 227,000 gold. Spells used: antimagic field, greater dispel magic.

Armor of the Abyssal Horde

This +6 full plate armor's clawed gauntlets are effectively +4 keen weapons (1d10/19-20) that afflict the target as if she had been struck by an energy drain spell (Fortitude negates DC 30). The armor bestows two negative levels on any nonevil creature wearing it. These negative levels persist as long as the armor is worn and disappear when the armor is removed. The negative levels never result in actual level loss, but they cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the armor is worn. Market Price: 442,000 gold. Caster level 21st. Spells used: energy drain.

Armor of the Celestial Battalion

This +7 chainmail is so fine and light that it can be worn under normal clothing without revealing its presence. It has a maximum Dexterity bonus of +10, no armor check penalty, and an arcane spell failure chance of 10%. It is considered light armor, and it allows the wearer to fly at will (as the fly spell). Furthermore, the wearer is at all times surrounded by a magic circle against evil effect (as the spell) which, if dispelled, can be created again as a free action. Market Price: 421,000 gold. Spells used: fly, magic circle against evil.

Bulwark of the Great Dragon

This +6 heavy shield bears the image of a metallic or chromatic dragon's head. Three times per day, the bearer of the shield can command it to belch forth a breath weapon of the appropriate type. The range of this breath weapon is 80 feet (if a line) or 40 feet (if a cone). Regardless of the type, the breath weapon deals 20d6 points of damage (Reflex DC 30 halves). In addition, the shield provides the bearer with resistance 50 to the energy type that matches its breath weapon. Market Price: 288,000 gold. Spells used: dragon breath, resist energy.

Dragonskin Armor

This +6 full plate armor is crafted from the hide of a great wyrm dragon. At the wearer's command, the armor sprouts enormous dragon wings, allowing the wearer to fly at a speed of 90 feet (clumsy) for a total of 4 hours each day. The armor also grants immunity to a specific type of energy, based on the color of dragon that supplied the armor. Market Price: 582,000 gold. Spells used: fly, energy immunity.

Shapeshifter's Armor

This suit of +10 hide armor grants its full Armor Class bonus regardless of any form the wearer takes (with polymorph subschool spells, alter self or other similar abilities). Market Price: 206,000 gold. Spells used: alter self.

Warlord's Breastplate

This +8 mithral breastplate has an armor check penalty of -1, a maximum Dexterity bonus of +5, and an arcane spell failure chance of 15%. It is considered light armor and weighs 15 pounds. It grants the wearer a +10 enhancement bonus to Charisma. Any soldiers that serve the wearer and stay within 500ft of him gain a +4 morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, ability checks, skill checks and saving throws. Market Price: 344,000 gold.

Epic Weapons

There is no limit to the enhancement bonus of epic weapons, to the market price modifier of epic weapon special abilities, or to the total enhancement bonus and market price modifier of epic weapons. The +10 (+5 enhancement and +5 special abilities) cap on non-epic magical weapons is gone and an item can be enhanced indefinitely.

Epic Weapon Base Price

+10 weapon: 200,000 GP.
+11 weapon: 242,000 GP.
+12 weapon: 288,000 GP.
+13 weapon: 338,000 GP.
+14 weapon: 392,000 GP.
+15 weapon: 450,000 GP.
+16 weapon: 512,000 GP.
+17 weapon: 578,000 GP.
+18 weapon: 648,000 GP.
+19 weapon: 722,000 GP.
+20 weapon: 800,000 GP.

This pattern continues indefinitely. The formula to calculate weapon prices is the total enhancement bonus of the armor squared, times 2000. Example:

> roll (12*12)*2000
* Hatbot --> "Christmas_Ko rolls (12*12)*2000 and gets 288000."

This is for a +12 total enhancement bonus weapon.

Epic Weapon Special Ability Descriptions

Note that many special abilities are improvements over non-epic special abilities. In those cases, weapons should be allowed to upgrade to those, with the cost of the non-epic special ability as a discount to the price of the epic ability. For example, a shocking burst weapon that is to be upgraded to lightning blast should only cost +x to do so.

Acidic Blast

On command, an acidic blast weapon drips acid (though this deals no damage to the wielder). On any hit, this acid splashes the creature struck, dealing +3d6 points of bonus acid damage. On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of acid damage (or +9d6 if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 if the critical multiplier is ×4). Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the bonus acid damage upon their ammunition. Market Price: +4 bonus. Spells used: acid arrow.

Anarchic Power

This weapon is chaos-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. When a weapon of anarchic power strikes a lawful target, this power deals +3d6 points of bonus chaotic damage to the target, and the target gains one negative level (Fortitude DC 23 to remove 24 hours later). On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of chaotic damage and bestows two negative levels (or +9d6 and three negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 and four negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×4). The weapon bestows three negative levels on any lawful creature attempting to wield it. These negative levels remain as long as the weapon is in hand and disappear when the weapon is no longer wielded. These negative levels never result in actual level loss, but they cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the anarchic power upon their ammunition. Market Price: +6 bonus. Spells used: word of chaos.

Axiomatic Power

This weapon is lawful-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damager reduction. When a weapon of axiomatic power strikes a chaotic target, this power erupts forth and deals +3d6 points of bonus lawful damage to the target, and the target gains one negative level (Fortitude DC 23 to remove 24 hours later). On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of lawful damage and bestows two negative levels (or +9d6 and three negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 and four negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×4). The weapon bestows three negative levels on any chaotic creature attempting to wield it. These negative levels remain as long as the weapon is in hand and disappear when the weapon is no longer wielded. These negative levels never result in actual level loss, but they cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the lawful power upon their ammunition. Market Price: +6 bonus. Spells used: dictum.

Distant Shot

A distant shot weapon can be used against any target within line of sight at no penalty for range. Market Price: +4 bonus. Spells used: sniper's shot.

Dread

A dread weapon excels at attacking one type of creature. Against its designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +4 better than its normal enhancement bonus. Further, it deals +4d6 points of bonus damage against the foe. Market Price: +4 bonus. Spells used: summon monster 9.

Everdancing

An everdancing weapon is much like a dancing weapon, though it can be loosed with a free action and will fight as long as desired. It can move up to 60 feet away from its owner. Its owner can instruct it to move to a different target as a move action. If its owner is rendered unconscious or otherwise unable to direct it, it will fight the same opponent as long as that opponent is conscious and within range. The owner of an everdancing weapon can grasp it again as a free action (assuming it is within reach). Market Price: +7 bonus. Spells used: animate object.

Fiery Blast

On command, a fiery blast weapon is sheathed in fire (though this deals no damage to the wielder). On any hit, this fire engulfs the creature struck, dealing +3d6 points of bonus fire damage. On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of fire damage (or +9d6 if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 if the critical multiplier is ×4). Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the bonus fire damage upon their ammunition. Market Price: +4. Spells used: fireball.

Holy Power

This weapon is good-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damager reduction. When a weapon of holy power strikes an evil target, this power erupts forth and deals +3d6 points of bonus holy (good) damage to the target, and the target gains one negative level (Fortitude DC 23 to remove 24 hours later). On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of holy (good) damage and bestows two negative levels (or +9d6 and three negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 and four negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×4). The weapon bestows three negative levels on any evil creature attempting to wield it. These negative levels remain as long as the weapon is in hand and disappear when the weapon is no longer wielded. These negative levels never result in actual level loss, but they cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the holy power upon their ammunition. Market Price: +6 bonus. Spells used: holy word.

Icy Blast

On command, an icy blast weapon is sheathed in icy cold (though this deals no damage to the wielder). On any hit, this cold washes over the creature struck, dealing +3d6 points of bonus cold damage. On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of cold damage (or +9d6 if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 if the critical multiplier is ×4). Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the bonus cold damage upon their ammunition. Market Price: +4 bonus. Spells used: cone of cold.

Lightning Blast

On command, a lightning blast weapon crackles with electrical energy (though this deals no damage to the wielder). On any hit, lightning coruscates around the creature struck, dealing +3d6 points of bonus electricity damage. On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of electricity damage (or +9d6 if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 if the critical multiplier is ×4). Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the bonus electricity damage upon their ammunition.  Market Price: +4 bonus. Spells used: lightning bolt.

Mighty Disruption

Removed due to the ban on instant death.

Sonic Blast

On command, a sonic blast weapon emits a low thrumming hum (though this deals no damage to the wielder). On any hit, this becomes a thunderous roar that deals +3d4 points of bonus sonic damage to the creature struck. On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d4 points of sonic damage (or +9d4 if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d4 if the critical multiplier is ×4). Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the bonus sonic damage upon their ammunition. Market Price: +4 bonus. Spells used: shout.

Triple-Throw

This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A triple-throw weapon creates two duplicates of itself when thrown. Both the original and the duplicate weapons attack separately (at the same attack bonus). Regardless of the success of any of the attacks, the duplicates immediately disappear after the attack is completed. Any bonuses on damage due to accuracy or precision (including those from sneak attacks, the Precise Shot feat, or the ranger's favored enemy bonus) apply only to the original weapon's damage, not to the duplicates. Market Price: +7 bonus. Spells used: shades.

Unerring Accuracy

Ranged attacks made with this weapon negate the AC bonus granted by any cover. The weapon's ranged attacks also ignore any miss chance from concealment (including total concealment, but the wielder must still aim his or her attacks at the correct square). Market Price: +5 bonus. Spells used: true seeing.

Unholy Power

This weapon is evil-aligned and this bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. When a weapon of unholy power strikes a good target, this power erupts forth and deals +3d6 points of bonus unholy (evil) damage to the target, and the target gains one negative level (Fortitude DC 23 to remove 24 hours later). On a successful critical hit it instead deals +6d6 points of unholy (evil) damage and bestows two negative levels (or +9d6 and three negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×3, or +12d6 and four negative levels if the critical multiplier is ×4). The weapon bestows three negative levels on any good creature attempting to wield it. These negative levels remain as long as the weapon is in hand and disappear when the weapon is no longer wielded. These negative levels never result in actual level loss, but they cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings with this special ability bestow the unholy power upon their ammunition. Market Price: +6 bonus. Spells used: blasphemy.

Specific Weapons

Backstabber

This +8 short sword is a dull gray color and is often mistaken for a sword of subtlety. Any attack with this weapon counts as a sneak attack. Market Price: 328,000 gold. Spells used: wish or miracle.

Chaosbringer

This +6 greataxe of anarchic power grants its wielder the ability to fly into a rage (identical to a barbarian's rage) once per day (or one additional time per day if the wielder already has the rage class feature). If the wielder has the greater rage class feature, the weapon also grants the wielder the Incite Rage epic feat. Market Price: 450,000 gold. Spells used: mass charm monster, rage.

Elven Greatbow

In the hands of any nonelf, this bow performs only as a +2 composite longbow. In the hands of an elf, this weapon functions as a +6 composite longbow of unerring accuracy with a Strength bonus that matches its elven wielder's current Strength at all times. Furthermore, any arrows loosed from the bow are considered keen, regardless of the enhancement bonus of the arrow fired. Market Price: 392,000 gold. Spells used: bull's strength, keen edge, true seeing.

Finaldeath

This +7 undead dread ghost touch morningstar also grants its wielder immunity to energy drain attacks. Furthermore, if its wielder is capable of turning undead, they may turn undead once per minute as a free action. This turn undead does not consume the character's normal pool of turn undead uses, but this turning attempt suffers a -9d6 turning damage dice penalty. Market Price: 685,000 gold. Spells used: death ward, summon monster 9.

Gripsoul

Gripsoul is a +6 keen longsword, but instead of dealing killing a foe on a lethal strike, the weapon imprisons the victim in a gem set in the pommel of the sword as per a binding spell heightened to 16th level (DC 37 will negates). Only one creature can be so held, but the wielder can release the bound soul at any time with a command word. Market Price: 289,500 gold. Spells used: binding.

Holy Devastator

In the hands of any character other than a paladin, this sword performs as a +3 holy longsword. In the hands of a paladin, this weapon functions as a +7 longsword of holy power and grants a +5 sacred bonus on the wielder's saving throws against spells with the evil descriptor or spells cast by evil characters. If the paladin wielder smites evil with the holy devastator, he or she adds twice his or her paladin level to damage (rather than his or her paladin level). Market Price: 320,000 gold. Spells used: holy aura, holy smite, holy word.

Mace of Ruin

This +7 heavy mace ignores the hardness or damage reduction of any object or creature it strikes. Furthermore, the weapon can deal critical hits to objects and constructs as if they were living creatures. Market Price: 350,000. Spells used: disintegrate.

Quarterstaff of Alacrity

Both ends of this +6 quarterstaff of speed have equal enhancement and special powers, meaning that it allows an additional attack with each end every round. While the quarterstaff of alacrity is held, it grants its wielder a +5 resistance bonus on Reflex saves. It also deflects ranged weapons as if the wielder had the Deflect Arrows and Infinite Deflection feats. Market Price: 313,100 gold. Spells used: protection from arrows.

Souldrinker

This +6 bastard sword bestows 2d4 negative levels on its target whenever it deals damage, just as if its target had been struck by the energy drain spell. Each negative level bestowed grants the wielder 5 temporary hit points. One day after being struck, the subject must make a Fortitude save (DC 25) for each negative level or lose a level. If this sword's power causes a character to have negative levels at least equal to his or her current level, the character is instantly slain and the wielder gains an additional 10 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points gained from this weapon last for a maximum of 1 hour. Market Price: 550,000 gold. Spells used: energy drain.

Stormbrand

This +6 thundering lightning blast greatsword allows its wielder to fly at will (as the fly spell). Furthermore, the wielder can move normally (including flying) even in the strongest winds. When the weapon is drawn, the wielder gains electricity resistance 30 and sonic resistance 30. Market Price: 500,000 gold. Spells used: blindness/deafness, lightning bolt, resist energy.

Unholy Despoiler

In the hands of any character other than a blackguard, this sword performs as a +3 unholy longsword. In the hands of a blackguard, this weapon functions as a +7 longsword of unholy power and grants a +5 profane bonus on the wielder's saving throws against spells with the good descriptor or spells cast by good characters. If a blackguard wielder smites good with the unholy despoiler, he or she adds twice his or her blackguard level to damage (rather than his or her blackguard level). Market Price: 320,000 gold. Spells used: blasphemy, unholy aura, unholy blight.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Miscellaneous announcements are as follows:

I intend to reorganize the house rules soon, to better integrate rules and improve ease of use. This is an ongoing project that I chip away at when I have free time.

At this point, I'm sure you've noticed that not every possible person you can recruit neatly matches your character level. That's fine, things don't set themselves up so that you only recruit level appropriate help. However, things do slowly self-correct towards NPCs being one level below the PC's level. How does this work? If an NPC is two or more levels than the PCs, they gain extra levels for being taken along into combat situations or taking a lead roll in bigger battles. This allows you to catch up people who you feel are useful. People who are equal or higher to your PC level simply don't improve until you catch up with them. After all, being up scrubs rarely provides much growth, does it? As a final note, Annalise doesn't strictly follow that rule, but she's an exception. Her situation is unique.

One thing I like about this game is how some of the classes and training have inter-mixed between elements of the army. Arcane Duelist has gotten attention and consideration, Dana may take a monk level or something with turning once she finishes up Dwarven Defender and goes into Warmind, and now the Master offers another PrC option. I'm trying to subtly encourage this when possible since it can make some interesting combinations.

I've been making an effort to make the various NPCs stand out in their niche and not overlap too much, as well as taking new and varied combinations of classes. Ideally each one at least brings one seldom or never used PrC to the table or a different combination of classes and variants/ACFs. I've been highly aggressive making new material because of this, as well as scrounging it up from any and all sources. This also means well used and familiar PrCs will be less likely to see airtime. Don't count on seeing a Hellreaver, Sacred Exorcist or Arcane Trickster unless it's the best fit for a character. I can't easily do the same with base classes, but that's what some ACFing can fix.

Likewise, I've been trying for more unique treasures and custom prizes for your victories. While I often do drop some normal treasures for monetary gain and equipping the leaders of the army with staples, I mainly aim for unique treasures. I think that's been going well and also lets me tweak PC balance a bit as needed.

As a soft rule, I'm going to ask that you don't overload Tannin with tasks at any one time. One or two is fine, but he can't be expected to do several things at once. It'll result in longer waits and weaker results.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Let's recruit some spear-wielding angels! Alternatively, Balsa. A Kyoko is fine too.

Corwin

Dune, what do you think about Knight of the Chalice from Complete Warrior? Is flipping it about for devil-hating simple enough without the need for any changes? Likewise, I'm curious how the spellcasting progression would mesh with a paladin's. I also want to hear your thoughts on the Censure ability, and whether a suitable replacement/ACF could exist for it (since we want to keep the devils or destroy them, not send them back home).

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on December 28, 2011, 05:13:14 PM
Dune, what do you think about Knight of the Chalice from Complete Warrior?

It's a solid PrC. I considered it for Antenora once upon a time, but it never happened.

QuoteIs flipping it about for devil-hating simple enough without the need for any changes?

Yes, it works fine with a flip.

QuoteLikewise, I'm curious how the spellcasting progression would mesh with a paladin's.

I'd rule it advanced paladin progression rather than starting another progression of weak spellcasting. If you ACFed paladin casting out for holy warrior, I'd rule it starts a new one as written.

QuoteI also want to hear your thoughts on the Censure ability, and whether a suitable replacement/ACF could exist for it (since we want to keep the devils or destroy them, not send them back home).

Change it to a chance of paralysis or something. That would keep them around.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Afina, Annalise, Jaela, Ithea and Kascha gain the following traits:

Curse of Bahamut (Ex)

Cursed by Bahamut, you suffer the wrath of dragons. Any creature of the dragon type who sees you instantly knows your crimes against dragon kind. This gives you a -40 penalty to bluff, diplomacy, disguise and intimidate checks against them. Most will react with considerable hostility. This manifests as a marking on your forehead, visible only to dragons and true seeing. Dragons see the word GUILTY, while those using true seeing only see indistinct letters. Deities are not affected by this curse. These words always show, even if you attempt to hide your forehead or obscure it. If need be the letters will appear on the material over your forehead.

Blessing of Renbuu (Ex)

You may choose any one of the following feats as a bonus feat.

Anarchic Bloodline (Applies to whatever type of spellcasting you choose, spontaneous casting only. You gain all the spells it grants immediately.)
Chaos Devotion
Spell Focus (Chaos)

Or any anarchic feat.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Anarchic Bloodline for me.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on December 30, 2011, 08:49:55 PM
Anarchic Bloodline for me.

What set of spells are you applying it to?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Funny thing! Only FS is spontaneous. DC is actually memorized, hence the Spells threads.

Ebiris

Anarchic Bloodline for Afina, too.